Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

It should be set around the same time as The Mandalorian, so about 5+ years after Return of the Jedi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FYI, I've started a thread for the Ashoka show:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So post return of the jedi, pre the force awakens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m disappointed to see that the big crossover event is not going to be a Disney+ series or movie but will go to the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its just childish now....

Im 'forced' to watch it courtesy of my 13yr old, but he even thinks it so bland .....

Whats the point of it .... ?

REally... Whats the point?!? $$$$$$$$$$$ ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is it possible that Pedro Pascal needed time off for 'The Last of Us' and so they cut out a load of his plot to make Starbuck the main Mandalorian? Maybe re-wrote chunks of the season? Because it's very directionless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Was busy the past months - Andor was worthy and OH my god for Mando s3, like I am truly impressed by how fast they ruin the show and woaw, this is literally Book of boba level of shite.

Not sure should I trust Jon Favreau words on "KK strikes again" - but oh lord I still can't believe what I witnessed from epi4/5/6. I had my suspicion 3 episodes in but oh lord.

(and ya no wonder Dave Faloni stay the **** away from Mando s3)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's really a good example of how important a show runner is. In theory, you'd expect a level of quality across the various SW series but, when pitched against 'Andor', there's a huge difference. Similarly, IMO, the Trek series vary greatly depending on the showrunner from 'Discovery' (which I had to stop watching) to 'Strange New Worlds' which seems like it's all done by a completely different team with a different view as to what Trek is. Even within 'PIcard', a change in show runner can make a massive difference (S3 vs the earlier seasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but how much time does it take him? How often is it really him in the suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The dialogue by Pascal often sounds like he's bored just reading it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They all do. Katie Sackhoff sounds ready for bed, and we know she has range. But I'd not blame them, the show lacks any kind of direction, any sense of purpose.

It's easy to summarise seasons 1 and 2 from Pascal's point of view I'd say: hardened, emotionally distant mercenary learns to become a father figure to a vulnerable child. It's hacky, but straightforward and relatable.

What's the pivot for season 3? Mando wants ... ... uhhhhhh... "wait why is Grogu back???"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"hardened, emotionally distant mercenary learns to become a father figure to a vulnerable child"

Is he being typecast? Sounds like TLOU too.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I wondered how the show was being received so I dropped back here, very negative, bit of a hate circle I'm not seeing myself.

Might stick to Reddit if that's ok with you.

I've enjoyed every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Caught the Jack Black episode and ... uhhh... I suppose I wasn't bored, to hit the positives first. The Crime Mystery was an interesting premise, albeit one that was a bit hurried in execution - with the perpetrator's motivation a bit muddled. The Mandalorian segment also a bit hurried, feeling tacked on after another fetch quest.

For once I wish they stretched out the visit to two episodes, instead of two stories compressed too short to have value. There could have been a fun mystery episode to hang an entire runtime off of.

Funny how the episode hit two trivial quibbles I have with Star Wars' world-building: the lack of democracy, where even here "democracy" was a decadent planet still ruled by Royals; and the mistreatment of droids, this episode basically confirming what has always been hinted at. They're feeling, thoughtful self-aware creatures who like to chill out I'm bars! - oh but they're happy to serve us, so I guess that forgives being treated like shít?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

With regards to the droids as slaves aspect, I honestly thought that the reason behind the malfunctions was going to reveal itself to be some droids rebelling against their programming and that it could potentially lead to some revolt against their masters, but nope............ didn't go that way at all (still confused as to why that one droid "ran away" then, like he'd been found out, after Mando shoved him). Wasn't there some plotline in Solo about droids looking for rights? That movie is a bit of a blur, so I could be mistaken......

The chase happened because the plot needed an exciting chase; it was a little illogical given an actual laser battle would have made more sense, given the droids were supposedly reverting to their prior programming. A battle droid would have fought, not scarpered (I liked Mando's on-brand approach to sussing the bad droid by kicking them)

Re. Solo yes: there was a droid whose "thing" was being a Droid Rights advocate; it wasn't everyone's favourite character but I think the principle of a droid more attuned to the obvious, continuous mistreatment of robots in this world, made a lot of sense. The execution was a bit grating - but I suspect that was a leftover from the original Lord & Miller comedy-cut, alongside some weird choices like the suggestion it and Lando were lovers.

It doesn't have to be a full blown robot revolution, cos even that's a bit tired IMO, but just some adjustment or basic acknowledgement that this universe really treats its very definitely self-aware robots like shít. I think this episode knew that too - but it's explanation a bit shaky (oh, organics din't live very long, and they made us - so we're OK with getting trashed)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Would they not have removed the weaponry when they reprogrammed the battle droids?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The droid rights thing was fucking dumb. What the hell would a droid do with rights? It had the stink of Lord and Miller all over it.

Here's X24819G enjoying his weekend off by having a refreshing walk in the woods. As is his right to do so. 🤣

• Advertisement

What the hell would a droid do with rights? 

Whatever it wanted to! No more than any other robot in Sci-Fi, short of robo-revolution.

My problem is more that they keep writing the Droids as obviously, demonstrably thinking and feeling machines ... then treat them really badly. At first it was obviously just a bit of comedic colour for Episode IV with nervous 'aul C3P0, but this episode underlined the accumulated personalities across subsequent media. Droids in the Star Wars universe appear to be sapient; so the natural path onwards would be: perhaps they shouldn't be treated as poorly as they are?

I know. It's ultimately a really stupid, trivial little thing but also one of those minor irritants I can't help think of when a Droid is used as target practise, metaphorical or otherwise. I think one of the KOTOR games had a Droid who was outright homacidial towards organics as a choice - trotting out pejoratives n' all - while Rogue One also had a Droid as main character & friends... so not like that Droid in Solo was completely unique.

As I said, small irritant but the way this universe is written keeps reminding me of it.

Droids are machines. They're parts put together and programmed for a specific function with some having emulated human interactions, such as protocol droids like C3PO, where that would be a necessity given the tasks they have to perform. But they don't feel anything, don't enjoy anything, they don't need to unwind. They don't need anything that rights would provide. Some of them are literally boxes on legs. What would R2 bleedin D2 do with an 8 hour work day and a paid lunch? The entire concept is bloody ridiculous.

It's like giving a Ford Fiesta rights.

The only "right" that would make any sort of sense is perhaps the right not to be abused. But then then that's like saying treat your PC right, or the fecker will break and you'll have to buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Iguarantee

This season is absolute tripe.

I may be the only one but I really think the Moff Gideon character and storyline is absolute garbage.

My kids like the show, I really like seasons 1 and 2 but this is just painful to watch. I actually enjoyed the book of Boba Fett. The Mandalorian season 1 was like a good western

The one redeeming feature was the character design and atmosphere of the robot thing that took Mando prisoner, that was really cool.

But we've seen other droids, non Protocol Droid variants, who themselves exhibit personality for no discernible reason (beyond the obvious writing aspect of convenience for a comedy bit). The sarcastic battle droid at the docks for instance; he seemed super tetchy at Mando's tactics. While we know the Astromechs have sass to spare - again, why? I believe, and someone might clarify, the astromech seen in the Ahsoka trailer is previous to the cartoons and basically a bit of a sarcastic shít.

I'd be less thinking about rights, and more just being ... well, nicer to the Droids. Stop having them this weird punchline where even ostensible heroes treat them like crap. Obviously they do have time off given we met a bunch of them in that "bar" - even if it had a technobabble reason beyond anything abstract like "relaxation".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have to admit I'm really enjoying this season...a lot. That police procedural drama episode was bizarre but hilarious, lost it at the droid morgue. Totally stupid, granted, but in a very entertaining and self-aware way.

Big thumbs up from me so far anyway, far from perfect but solid fun, and I did think Book of Boba Fett was a pile of crap.

They exhibit an emulation of personality programmed into them. It's probably like a CMOS chip on a motherboard. It holds basic information pertaining to the droid and its AI allows it to learn more human emulation the longer it functions. All of that probably gets deleted when they have their memories wiped and they're rebooted back to factory settings. 😄

Droids don't need to be treated "better" in the Star Wars universe, because there was nothing wrong with the way they were treated before. They're machines. The Jawas have the right idea, buy 'em, sell 'em, or scrap 'em.

They're glorified Chat GPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,320 ✭✭✭✭Penn

F*cking finally! Now there's an episode worth watching!

Still been a pretty terrible season so far and a lot of the leg-work required to get here hasn't been worth it, but finally there's something of value happening and has raised a bit of excitement for the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Absolutely!!! This could have been episode 4 of this season - 1 to 3 spent showing Mandalore was worth fighting for, and Bo gathering her forces then straight into 4 episodes of this!!!!! Fighting for Mandalore with escalating threat - not meandering, meaningless episodes.

Spoiler below

Having the 3 pretorion at the end, finally another worthy adversary for the Mandalorions who had just been swatting off legions of white suits, and the intro to the episode showing an organised Empire plot and syndicate backing Gideon - has all finally introduced threat to this series.

Even Grogu has a bit of a purpose and was actually funny getting his IG 12 suit.

Even Thrawn gets a mention

Post edited by Patser on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.7: This is the way!

Too heckin right Filoni was brought in to write this episode!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mandalorian#Season_3_(2023)

Big things in this all. A lot tying into the Ahsoka trailer... and of course a lot of Ahsoka tying into the Mandalorians.

Damn I swear! Paz Vizsla just had a hell of a story arc this season. They showed his son in the rescue episode too. That kid should definitely get a future arc if he hasn't already. Following the way maybe.. or maybe going off his own way but coming to terms with what happened.

Right, big fights with the Empire and The Mandalorians.. Bring it!

one aside.. lol.. the ole Mandos...

• Big Monsters... shur.. throw the kids on the beach there in front of em with no armour or nothing. Shur it didn't do me any harm when I was growing up
    • Other Mandalorians.. get the kids inside quick! There's about to be grown up business happening! The kids just wouldn't be able to handle it!

😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a good episode. I enjoyed that. Grogu funny as usual and loving his new toy.

Have to feel sorry for the Mando who fell fighting them 3 bad red guys. He had done so well untill then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement