Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

I'll be calling it Mandor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Watching that was a very strange experience. I almost forgot I was watching the Mandalorian and had somehow been tricked into viewing some new show that was just inserted into Mando.

I thought the New Republic stuff was tedious. I could barely recall the scientist from before. Yeah, Coruscant looked as shiny as it always did but it was like slow motion. Wooden dialogue, wooden acting, ropey looking CGI droids...it reminded me of the prequels at times. And how could we ever have guessed that she was going to betray him? Never saw it coming...

The Tie fighter chase was by far the most interesting thing about it but, let's be honest, this series is all over the shop so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Watching that was a very strange experience. I almost forgot I was watching the Mandalorian and had somehow been tricked into viewing some new show that was just inserted into Mando.

Yes I agree I thought that too.

I enjoyed the first 10 to 15 minutes but then ye it was like it was a totally different show.

Coruscent looked amazing do

Still not a World Would want to live on do. Very dull in a way no greenery, seas, lakes or trees etc.

It does look like the show will be about redeeming the Mandalore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Episode 3 (after those fun first 10 minutes)...was errr something I suppose.

Basically Mando has had his bath, what shall we do now, remember that weird doc with glasses what about him. Ah yeah let's do a show focussed on him and his cloning work we could feed that into the bad sequels, they can discuss biscuits, drink space booze and eat light up ice lollies, bizarre.

Do you think they just saw a preview of Andor and thought ah yeah let's do something a bit more like that set in the Coruscant but aimed at a younger age and a bit sh#t!

He was going to fit everything he needed into that single little carry case?...riggggght...

Elia Kane (I think that was the name) who was clearly going to betray him from the minute they met as well was also extremely wooden.

Poor episode. Not the travesty of the low points of Obi Wan or Boba Fett...but not good. This is NOT the way.

Bo Katan is definitely plotting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.3: Awe that was great! I loved how it all lined up with The Bad Batch!

That whole contrast of coruscant, so well done!

Also.. called it on Bo-Katan! 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Maybe they're gonna settle the whole Manalore storyline

Yep, seemingly

and head off somewhere else the following episode

more like the middle two thirds of that episode...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

First of the three episodes I liked. Yes, ropey bits here and there, but overall enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do we know where the coast line that Bo Katan's blown up base is filmed on? Did they have some unused footage from the Kerry shoots?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭winstonia

Very enjoyable episode. Decent writing for once.

Do you think they just saw a preview of Andor and thought ah yeah let's do something a bit more like that set in the Coruscant but aimed at a younger age and a bit sh#t!

I thought it was more reminiscent of the more 'grown-up' storylines of the previous series, like the ones with Mayfield and the Magistrate. Obviously it was a big departure having Mando off the screen for the majority of the episode but I don't think it was like they were trying to make (or ape) a completely different show...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We interrupt this episode of The Book of Bo Katan to bring you a short film called Rogue Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What did she do with the console at the end? Did she turn up the power and, if so, why?

To completely lobotomize yer man, have him wandering round like this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes she sure did. I guess we might find out later but he either done something to piss or off or get her in trouble in someway and its payback time or she does not like how he is smarter than her and decided to fix that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 33,151 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's a mess. All over the shop.

Well I mean wiping Pershing's brain might be the character's intention but I can't see it being fully realised the way his character has been established.

Whatever damage has been done, I don't think it'll mean this is off the table because it has been so elaborately set up

I think the theory after the sequels and previous episodes was that he would be involved in the cloning technology used in the future. Guess that's not the case.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I thought it was obvious enough, Gideon is still pulling strings and doesn't want his golden egg revealing his scientific secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, that was easily the best episode of the show so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭winstonia

This. Anyone who calls it a mess or didn't like should stop watching imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Aye, I enjoyed that one, as well. As with The Bad Batch, it's always interesting to see the "immediate" aftermath of the Imperial uprising/Rebellion. Even though I think it's a waste of time to try and set up, or fill in the glaring gaps that lead to the awful sequel trilogy, because the latter two thirds of that are irredeemable rubbish on a storytelling level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

All ye guys do is complain and nit pick

In fairness, though, the show really needed to up its game. Hopefully Ep3 is an indicator of that. In the light of what 'Andor' did, it was always going to be coming off as a twee second best.

AFAIC, the entirety of the sequel trilogy was absolute trash and the more it's navigated around (or just plain forgotten) the better. But there's 20 years between 'Return of the Jedi' and that shitty trilogy to play with in which they could provide some good stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I'm all for some good stories if they can avoid the sequel trilogy, but I doubt it'll happen. I'm not one of those "retcon the sequels" fruitcakes, there's no way they'll ever do that, but I don't want them to double down on it either. I'd rather if they just ignored it.

But the whole series has surely some connection with

given all the stuff about Gideon experimenting with Grogu's blood

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, that was a good episode of Mandalorian ... that had absolutely nothing (as far as we know) to do with the main characters. Bizarre. At least this time around it didn't feel like another blatant pitch for another spin-off, so I'm hopeful it ties back into the broader storyline at some stage?

All very PG Clockwork Orange really, which was what surprised most. Or at least, I presume that was the intent here? The doctor's jaunty assertion that he had the Totally-Not-The Mind Flayer used on himself had that slight air of the indoctrinated - albeit this time with the New Republic. In fact I'm not really sure what was being said here, because the moral subtext coming off that episode was ambiguous to say the least.

And I enjoyed myself so much, the hard gear-shift back to Mando and his little band of maniac religious zealots was disappointing - which is not what you want to feel when watching a show named for the characters lol.

There's space to expand on the industrial military complex Last Jedi essentially fingered as the main benificeries of both the Imperial and New Republic cycles; certainly if one utilises the tone set by the likes of Andor. But by all accounts the Abram's films were nakedly, aggressively disinterested in the NR to the extent the script couldn't have been more transparently "... and then the empire came back 100 times more evil!!" if it tried. I'm still not 100% sure what the F Leia's "Resistance" was supposed to be against the supposed New Republic existing - and certainly the films made no attempt even to try.

It was just a poor copy of the original Rebellion, nothing more, just as the First Order 🙄 was basically Empire 2.0. There's zero innovation as far as factions are concerned in the sequels. It was just a tired retread in the hopes that the fans wouldn't care...cos Ster Werz, yaaay.

The main problem now that they're "canon", so all roads are leading to that crap. So I spose in the end it doesn't matter what Disney does with Star Wars in the post Jedi period, it still ends up in the shitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Read something online that this episode was due to the cancelled Rangers of the New Republic show, and that Kathleen Kennedy had already stated that elements of what was planned for that show would be incorporated into The Mandalorian instead. Have to admit I'd forgotten about that.

So chances are there'll be a bit more non-Mando things throughout the rest of the season. Probably setting up things that happen in Ahsoka and The Acolyte upcoming shows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is it confirmed the Republic is dead though? I know Episode 7 had "the entire republic fleet" (Jesus F'ing Christ) destroyed alongside the planet McGuffin... but clearly Coruscant is still the seat of power and influence in this episode just gone of Mandalorian. Maybe they can retcon the Resistance as a bunch of idiots with bad intel lol.

They might be cosigned to be non-canon now but it's interesting how the novels and Expanded Universe never went this direction: even bringing in a new conflict between the Republic and force-resistant alien supremacists as the new Wars. The empire remained as a rump but nothing more. The template was right there for a broad strokes, Post Episode 6 world.

As you say it was the least effort made to keep "Star Wars" frozen in carbonite cos Abrams was too talentless and too scared to move the story forward. Even the idea he came up with was half baked and made little sense.

You're sorta seeing the same thing with Trek ATM, itself in the grip of some of Abrams' contemporaries and colleagues. Incapable of moving past a set time period and set of toys, cos memberberries says you gotta have Picard and all the greatest hits.

Advertisement