Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Decent enough episode. I like it because it resembled ME visually. Feros / Ilos

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/masseffect/images/0/00/Ilos_-_archives.png/revision/latest?cb=20120915102246

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Not great. A little more invested in it than the first episode, but was touch and go there for that shocking first 15-20mins with the whole 're-intro annoying side character, need a memory circuit, dont have one, need my droid fixed, can't fix it, need a droid, need to test the air sample, droid doesn't want to' - that was beyond crap to be honest and a perfect example of the type of vacuous filler that this show produces all too regularly - not to mention Pascal sounding more bored than usual phoning it in miles from set. Picked up a little with some visual flair on the planet, and while the encounter with the alien-droid-exo was a bit odd (very kind of it to wait to really get into Mando allowing time for Grogu to travel and grab herself who was putting in another day's work of pouting in her castle), it at least energised things a bit. As some have said, at least the whole 'bathing in the waters' thing may be limited to just these opening three episodes, but remains to be seen I suppose. Mando could do with losing some weight as well considering how quickly he sank - I honestly thought he'd been pulled under, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Actually, now that I think about it, it was extremely mediocre.

Post edited by McDermotX on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a very good episode. About time he got to Mandalore. Looks like it was a great planet at one stage with amazing cities. I wonder what they done they have the Empire flatten there planet like that.

The trap was nasty. Lucky Grogu got back to get her. What do I know her from the actress?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Katee Sackhoff? aka Bo-katan & Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

She was also the lead in a recent Netflix series "Another Life". One of the few Star Wars actors who got to play her own animated character in live action.

• Advertisement
    Ms

That's her yes thank you. She is awesome such a great actor.

She should have her own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think so but I don't think..

she would want to unless she could have it under the Mandalorian rules so she can be their leader with it. I think they said that was about fighting the current owner for it. Something about this storyline says to me that she might choose not to try it. They might be turning each others perspectives on the world a bit.

For some reason this reminds me that she was the Pink Power ranger in Adi Shankars bootleg universe..

POWER/RANGERS UNAUTHORIZED [BOOTLEG UNIVERSE]

She also made a great baddie in The Bionic Woman

Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

This is off topic the Star Wars section of forums seems to be dead so hoping folks here can help.

I might be going to Star Wars Celebration in April and for the life of me I cannot find an answer for these questions.

Does the day pass ticket grant access to all the panels etc. and you simply have to queue at the door to the hall and hope you get in?

Or is the day pass simply to get in the building and you must pay again at each panel?

• Advertisement

Yeah, this producer Adi Shankar made these mini-youtube-episode .. minisode? of different stuff he was interested in a good few year agos.

Seems to have turned it into a media company now..

Adi Shankar's Bootleg Universe - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Shankar%27s_Bootleg_Universe

The big name that jumps off the wiki page for me has to be Castlevania

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

episode is very disjointed. No real beginning or ending. Also it’s very green screen/Volume heavy, could really do with some actual real life locations, very poor first two episodes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was also a bit bored of the 'down we go' - 'up we go' rinse and repeat. Someone wants to maximise the return budget on that setpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Cave. Small platform in cave. Morlocks fighting on small platform in cave. Comedy robots doing variation of ladder/plank sketch in background.... In small circular yeard about the size of a platform in a cave. Robot driving off to turn behind a rock about the same distance away as a platform in a cave. More cave. Hall. Cave. Lines and lines and LINES of exposition. I mean REAMS of it.

OK. Let me walk into the water here. Yep. Let's not scan it. Let's assume it's all nice and sa.......

He's turning into Boba Fett at this stage.... Is he gonna fly his (impractical) ship now up to a space monster next week so he can look into it's gob for some new fetch-quest?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't believe how clunky and poor the dialogue was in Episode 2.

It made Star Wars A New Hope sound like Shakespeare.

It was like they were explaining every little scene for us at home.

Show has gone to the dogs. Mando has turned into an absolute wuss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think unless this upswings in quality by season's end it'll be last for me; gonna finish it just for completion's same. To call the structure and execution of this show "rote" is putting it mildly. It's low effort to the point of contempt for the audience and worst of all - it has got so very very boring. It's all so flippin' pedestrian, even the performances are kinda sleepy. Katie Sackoff came off like someone woke her from a nap.

~45 minutes of slightly dull wandering, culminating in an Idiot Ball moment with Mando going for a quick dip, with the contrived "shock" a mythical beast ... ... we only learned off 2 minutes prior being real. So what? I remember when this show's faults were for being a bit Stargate/Star Trek with Mando helping a local community's problems. Oh for those days.

Oh and it's such a minor thing but it's annoying that in all the time since Mandalore got glassed ...nobody ever thought to check??? Again, such rote writing to even add some flavour to explain it. The atmosphere was toxic perhaps, or it corroded ships so they all crashed without trace - something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

yeah unfortunately this is going downhill at an alarming rate already. Writers should be embarrassed

I was never a huge fan of Series 1 and 2 either.

I thought it was a competent enough show,maybe a 6/10, but it was very well marketed.

By the looks of it, this should be the last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They made a mistake when they made him go back for Grogu during Book of Boba Fett, once Grogu was with Luke that should have been the end of that arc and now let's head in a new direction with a new companion.

There's still 6 more episodes to go so let's see how it plays out before calling for cancellation. I mean I still get a mini thrill from the title screen and the drumbeat combined with the dun dun of the episode title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Grogu was always my biggest issue with the show, regardless. He was always going to overshadow Din Djarin (this is "The Baby Yoda Show" to most people, afterall), and he's a crutch that badly needs to be outgrown. They had the perfect opportunity to get rid of him for a season or two while he was training with Luke, but instead we only get a passing comment that he was there with Luke for up to two years.

I guess it was my own fault for having certain expectations about what show itself was going to be about when it was first announced, but I wanted to see a Mandalorian bounty hunter actually being a Mandalorian bounty hunter, and not a babysitter. I suppose it's also folly to think that Disney/Lucasfilm will leave their latest cash cow out of the spotlight for any amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know the correct answer is "because merchandising", but the new ship irritates me each time I see it.

The Razorback looked like something you'd live in; there was a downstairs that seemed to have conveniences, a place to sleep, eat etc. You could believe Mando lived there, he was a nomad and the ship his home. IIRC we would have various domestic scenes onboard the ship.

Where and how does he live out of that Naboo fighter? Where does he eat, poop, sleep? I know it's silly getting hung up on those details in a show like this ... but having had such a strong locational identity previously, this fighter doesn't make sense, makes Mando more of a toy than a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

there was a downstairs that seemed to have conveniences, a place to sleep, eat etc. You could believe Mando lived there, he was a nomad and the ship his home

This exactly. There's a bit in I think the first episode where you see him sleeping in the cockpit. (When Grogu somehow goes from his Astromech dome into the cockpit). As you say, his original ship had storage, sleeping quarters, bathroom and cooking facilities. It was, as you say, his home. NOW what's his home? A seat? Has he got a bag strapped to him? Grogu spent the first 2 seasons eating everything in sight (That went from funny to creepy). Now what? "I. know. you. are. hungry. but. we. have. to. go. on. a. mission. and. talk. to. that. person. you. met. last. season. (Because there are only 6 or 7 people in the galaxy). We. have. to. fly. there. for. a. sandwich. and. a. pee. break. OK?"

This and the comedy droids is Lucas-Prequel at it's worst. You can't even look behind the talking characters without being distracted by overly CG backgrounds or "funny" droid shenanigans. So far this season we have seen one hall (A couple of times). One office, one street (Which we saw before), one doorway, one garage (A couple of times?) and a cave. Oh and that lake.... with a cave and cave walls juuuuust over there.

I'm assuming he'll get some shiny/grungy new merch.... I mean ship, at the end of this season when we realize that, in order to complete his cleansing or to pay back the pirates or something, that he needs to go and fetch the staff of Mandalore. Rumour has it it's on desert planet Holodeck-4...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't know why they got rid of the Razorback. It was a much better looking ship too. Had that Star Wars crappy junk functionality to it.

Also, really really getting tired of that SNL woman on Tatooine.

Let's be honest, it was a very good/good/decent show, but it's gone to sh1t this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

God yeah

You got an analysis on the atmosphere yet? The charts were wrong. The atmosphere is breathable. Bo-Katan was right. Mandalore is not cursed.

I doubt Paw Patrol spells everything out this literally for its audience

Seemingly the next episode will be nearly an hour

Maybe they're gonna settle the whole Manalore storyline and head off somewhere else the following episode

It has the stench of friends-of-friends having some jollies of a cameo; maybe people really like that character? I dunno, but yeah the whole cameo just emphasised what a disjointed video-game mess this show is quickly becoming. Should have known Amy Sedaris was ex-SNL: singularly unfunny while trying too hard for laughs. Successful SNL alumni who are actually funny really are like hen's teeth: Sedaris was always the worst character in Kimmy Schmidt by a country mile.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess, using the trailers as a guide, that the show's direction will be about reforming The Mandalorians as a group or race now that the planet is proven safe. Much has been made about how "scattered" they all are; but as a hook for a season it's really lacking the kind of singular, relatable direction of Seasons 1 and 2. Find cute little Grogu's race, protect him from the the rump of the Empire. Boom, simple emotional arc.

Asking me to care about Mandalore is proving a really hard sell. I just don't care about this race of bucket-heads' when they're apparently too thick to land a spaceship on their home planet. And like I said, poor Katie Sackoff has been given nothing to work with 'cos Dave Filoni's too excited to have one of his cartoon character appear in live-action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I didn't mind some of the 'Star Wars spelunking' stuff in episode two - it was a little different at least, even if they didn't go far enough with it (or maybe that should be they went too far with a single spelunking space). But my god I couldn't care less about the lore of Mandalore. They've doubled down on it this season and then some, and I'd go as far as saying it surpasses the worst excesses of Lucas' in-film Jedi lore in terms of tedium.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Why did it take Mando to get a droid and go test the planets atmosphere?

Were none of the entire population who are displaced ever think of going to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm sure Sedaris is a fine lady and all that, but I'm just tired of the schtick.

As for the show, it's always been a mickey mouse enjoyment, but I have to admit I'm becoming less and less patient with it. I think I want to like it more than I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Strange diversion this week.

I think the theory after the sequels and previous episodes was that he would be involved in the cloning technology used in the future. Guess that's not the case.

Advertisement