Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I doubt the script was written with that in mind, then it was a case of designing a baby version of Yoda which I'm sure most people would picture looking like Grogu. Maybe some inspiration but wouldn't say ripoff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Me: I think I’m done with these Disney Star Wars TV series.

*Babu Frik shows up in Mandalorian season three*

Me: … dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hey guys, I bought one of those codes from HotUKDeals for a year of Disney for around 20 pounds but it only works if you have a UK billing address. Does anyone want to buy it from me? Thanks.

I have tried a VPN with no success.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Me: I think I am done with these Disney, Marvel, Star Wars movies and TV shows

.....Mando Season 3 gets teased

Me: Holding out hope that there's a smidgen of a chance that Disney haven't ruined this show now too.

In saying that, I think I'll wait until all episodes are available and reviews are in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Andor is where my hype is at. Season 2 of this was a bit hmmmmm in places and the cynic in me wonders if it has quickly become the tester show; a succession of cameos to guage what the next spin-off might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer appeared, more plot based. looks ok, Andor has me truly spoiled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Post-Andor this looks very safe and boring. Also the people who read the reviews and skipped Boba Fett are going to be totally confused about how baby Yoda and Mando are back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

More desert. More spaceship/dark stoney interiors. More overly-CGI cityscapes.

I enjoyed S2 and The Mandalorian more than S1 as it had a story as opposed to situation-of-the-week of S1. But... dare I say it? I wasn't as gone on The Mandalorian overall as some. Don't get me wrong, it was a million miles better than Boba Fett (PLEASE don't give us another season). But, and I know this sounds stupid, it was just him walking. and talking slowly and occasionally shooting something. Most of his story happened in the last couple of episodes of Season 2 and his episodes in Boba Fett.

I don't dislike it. I just think it's quite forgettable. It's......... fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would agree.

Have watched both seasons of The Mandalorian twice now, and I think an awful lot of people see it through Rose tinted glasses.

It's a good show, not a great show.

Also, having just watched a series where the likes of Stellan Skarsgård, Fiona Shaw or Andy Serkis gave absolutely barnstorming speeches and monologues, it's jarring to watch a trailer whose lead character(s) are people with buckets on their heads

Plus I will never stop hating it when shows insist on wrenching characters back into the narrative, even after what was obviously their goodbye.

I think good is often Good Enough, but the bar has been set. The zeigeist will be interesting in Season 3, post Andor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

... where the likes of Stellan Skarsgård, Fiona Shaw or Andy Serkis gave absolutely barnstorming speeches and monologues...

And you were sucked in by not only the above but also the poisonous relationship between a small man and his smaller mother. Where a stuttering droid commenting on his master's bad knees can hit the feels more than a toy-maker's wet dream (Yoda, but CUTER!). Where the word Jedi, Sith, Lightaber or "May the Force be with you" is never mentioned (I may be wrong on the last bit but even if it is said, it is in a scathing, off-hand way). ALL while still loving the universe it inhabits.

I sound like I'm harsher on Mando than I actually am. As I said, it's ... fine but yeah, hard to go back (And we ALL knew it would be from episode 1 of Andor). But, as I said in other posts, that universe is big enough for everyone and there are people out there who didn't like Andor and who LOVE this so, yay for them. I'll watch this of course. But can't say I will be on tenterhooks each week (Same as S1 & S2).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pretty psyched for this now

Says here it'll drop at 8 GMT tomorrow morning, which I think I can just about wait for

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen the first episode. It was OK not great nothing new. I forgot a lot of what happened in season 1 and 2 so that does not help and the reminder at the beginning is not great either. As for the episode well it just seems dragged out him going from one place to the next and getting in a fight instead of just going to Mandalore ffs.

On the plus side do Grogu was cute and funny again.

Remind me again why did he remove his helmet? and I would still love to know if they can never remove their helmets how are they supposed to eat and drink as well as cut their hair which still grows under it and wash their face which is bound to get sweety and dirty.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As far as I'm aware, it's that they can't remove their helmets unless they are alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not had a chance to catch "&||" yet so I'll be approaching this on the back of the last 2 seasons and the Boba Fett series only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So why is grogu back, didn't he leave with Luke at the end of season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He came back in The Book of Boba Fett. If you don't want to watch the whole season, Eps 5-7 of it explain his return and where Mando got his new ship.

So the wee droid fixer is the same one as in the Rise of Skywalker.

How was he able to track all the pirate ships, yet missed the massive one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Cheers, that seems a bit stupid, especially since the book of boba fett is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very enjoyable season 3 opener.

The anzellans are very fun....bad baby!

The pirates were a bit meh...I could have done without the dodgy English? Accent of the main one...I guess they wanted a space battle for episode 1.

It's hard not too judge it in a slightly different light after Andor....but that would be pretty harsh I guess it is a very different programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I still don't like his new ship. His previous one was his home, with a few different rooms. Now he just about has a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.1: Seems to me like them there Mandalorians could do with one of them there Javelin anti-tank missiles!

That was grand but not sure where it was going. A lot of setup I'm guessing.

So, Big Mission to get to these waters and maybe get Mandalore back.

Medium Mission 1 to get the part for the Droid

Medium Mission 2 to survive the pirates who are going to be out for him

I wonder what Bo-Kataan is upto. Can't just sit in that empty hall all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I think Andor has ruined this show for me, the fetch quests and perfunctory game like npc character interactions that were always a Mando staple just don't cut it for me anymore . If that first episode is in anyway representative of the quality of the season ahead then I'm out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I agree, Andor has given me a taste of something that Mando now can't satisfy. But that being said, it just felt off, the opening scene had a lot sound effects that sounded poor, the other Mandos standing around looked unpolished and the CGI of the ship was very 'CGI' if you know that I mean. I dunno, I loved S1 and S2, every episode was riveting, but this felt silly in more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

If I remember correctly Bo Katan and Mano were meant to duel each each other for the right to own the dark sabre. At the end of season two Mando took his helmet off so Grugo could see his face before he left with Skywalker. So you have to watch the Book of Bobo to make sense of it all!? That's a major blunder since lots didn't watch that crap and those who did have it erased from their memory.

There wasn't really anything to do with Bo Katan in Book of Boba Fett. It was left in Season 2 that Bo Katan can't just accept the Darksabre from Mando, it has to be won in battle, but she hasn't tried to win it off him. Definitely the big thing people would have missed is how Grogu came back etc. It wasn't really explained in the recap before the episode and was pretty poorly explained during the episode.

To me it's a lot like all the references and characters from the animated shows. They do their best to explain it quickly in the show, but it still always feels like you're missing something from not having watched 10+ seasons of the animated shows. I think most people would have been more likely to watch BOBF if they were also watching The Mandalorian, but they definitely still needed to do a better job of recapping what happened to Mando & Grogu.

It was a pretty weak episode altogether. A lot of setting up for the rest of the season which is understandable, especially since the story is no longer really centered on what's happening with Grogu, but the pirates in particular were just awful and comical. Don't seem like a threat in any way but are likely to keep popping up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

The nonsense coming out of Favreau now saying that there's a two year gap where Grogu was training with Luke is souring my already waning interest in this show, along with inconsistent runtimes where they could be explaining stuff like this for an extra 5 or 10 minutes.

Enjoyed the dogfight, though. It's something the live action shows are severely lacking.

• Advertisement

There appears to be confusion over Favreau's comments about the two year gap. The two years seems to be between the end of S2 and start of S3 of the Mandalorian. It may be the case that Grogu wasn't training with Luke for two years, but maybe for just a few months, then the events of BOBF happened, then Mando & Grogu have been travelling around for the rest of that 2-year period since the end of BOBF, before the start of this episode.

I guess they have to give some reason why Greef Karga's city has developed so much since Mando was last there, but it definitely needlessly confuses things.

Advertisement