Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Since the next season is due in December, is there any Star Wars planned before then or will it be all Marvel?

Next season isn’t in December.

We are getting a Boba Fett series for Christmas. There is an end credits acne in the last Mando episode.

I think Bad Batch might be coming before that.

flazio wrote: »
    To be fair, there wasn't anything between season 1 and 2 anyway.

Never seen Clone Wars before so now you have a near 40 year old taking up a Saturday morning cartoon regime.

Clone Wars is fantastic

Here is the chronological order if you are interested

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As much as I like the idea of 'The Clone Wars', its intimidating in its length especially when you factor in the Rebels TV series as well. I've a lot of TV to watch (even still!) so 150+ episodes is a big undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Clone Wars was great, so looking forward to the Bad Batch.
    Rebels was also good. Resistance, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

ixoy wrote: »
    As much as I like the idea of 'The Clone Wars', its intimidating in its length especially when you factor in the Rebels TV series as well. I've a lot of TV to watch (even still!) so 150+ episodes is a big undertaking.

The best thing about Clone Wars is that each season is broken is broken up into 2-4 episode arcs, and many of these can be watched individually. Obviously you won't get as much out of it as you would be watching all of it, but you can still enjoy large chunks of it without committing to watching ALL of it.

The second battle of Geonosis arc (season 2 episode 5-8) and The Umbaran arc (season 5 episode 7-10) are particularly good arcs that can be enjoyed independently from the rest of the show. Just start there and see how you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Markitron wrote: »
    We got season 7 of the Clone Wars between season 1 and 2, and that was some of the best Star Wars I content I have ever seen.

It starts off a bit rocky, and has the odd bit of filler, but it is an amazing show for all age groups.
    Really? I just assumed that Clone Wars was been and gone long before Disney got involved. I seem to recall there was concern that it was going to be dispelled from canon once the Disney deal was done or am I thinking of another Star Wars branded property? It started out Warner Bros. didn't it?
    I'm about halfway through season 3 at this stage anyway. I'm a completist so no skipping for me.
    I'm also doing similar in Star Trek, running through every episode and movie in first transmission order. Up to Voyager/DS9 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Really? I just assumed that Clone Wars was been and gone long before Disney got involved. I seem to recall there was concern that it was going to be dispelled from canon once the Disney deal was done or am I thinking of another Star Wars branded property? It started out Warner Bros. didn't it?
    I'm about halfway through season 3 at this stage anyway. I'm a completist so no skipping for me.
    I'm also doing similar in Star Trek, running through every episode and movie in first transmission order. Up to Voyager/DS9 at the moment.

It started before Disney but they included it in their canon (unlike a lot of other elements, like most books). Disney even released the last season of the Clone Wars last year on Disney+

No, Clone wars began in 2008 and was at the start of its 5th season on the cartoon network when the Disney buyout happened in 2012. Season 6 was cancelled but the already completed episodes were released later on as the 'lost' episodes on streaming services and Blu-ray, this is currently labelled season 6 on D+. The crew for the show immediately started work on Rebels, when that show finished and D+ was gearing up, they took the scripts for the unproduced S6 episodes and fleshed it out into S7 which released this year - and is the highpoint of Star Wars animation.

Even though it was cancelled it was never in danger of being de-canonised, it was created by Lucas and a had a large hand in the show from beginning to end.

Will the Bad Batch have any tie in to the live action series?

Yes and no, won’t be anything major but all parts of Star Wars media are interacting with each other atm. Major plot lines from mando season 2 have their roots in clone wars and rebels. You don’t need to have seen those shows to enjoy mando but it gives it an extra flavour.

• Advertisement

It is possible.

It is set in the early days of the Empire so about 25 years before Mando.

It is possible that the Bad Batch could cross paths with characters like Gideon or Karga. And Bo-Kataan.

As I type I have a notion that the Bad Batch might be the ones who took Grogu from the Jedi Temple and transported him to safety.

I hope not though. I don’t everything explained and crossovers can make the Galaxy seem small.

The Mandolorian has shown that the Galaxy is so big that there are people who don’t know what a Jedi is, that the man who took down Vader and the Emperor is not recognised. Even Rebels established that Vader was not a figure that was known throughout the Galaxy.

Character crossovers can be fun but too many can spoil things.

Of course then Lando, Hondo, Ashoka, etc show up in stuff and I love it :p

Main thing to remember about these series is Clone Wars and rebels were both Dave Filoni and can be sure his work on those is the reason they trusted him with a live action episodic story such as Mandalorian. It's also why we're getting characters like Ahsoka showing up in Mando.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

So if I wanted to start watching the animated shows where's the best place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Start with the Clone Wars.

RedRochey wrote: »
    So if I wanted to start watching the animated shows where's the best place to start?

This is the chronological order for Clone Wars

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

The order isn’t essential and it is only few stories “mixed up”.

Main cause is just that they decided to launch as feature film which affected the order at first. Then as I recall Lucas would often want to revisit some previously abandoned ideas or want to see more of a character who had already been killed. That kind of think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ILM released an FX reel for Season 2: shows where they used the famous LED wall - but interestingly, I had wondered if Moff's cruiser was a practical effect; just something about its textures ... and it was! I may have reservations about the content of the show but by goodness they put money into the look of the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Obi-Wan has started filming Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Moses Ingram, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell and Benny Safdie have all joined the cast.

Uncle Ben is back.

ObiWanKenobi_CastingAnnounce.jpg?w=1024

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭golfball37

The Obi-Wan has started filming Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Moses Ingram, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell and Benny Safdie have all joined the cast.

Uncle Ben is back.

ObiWanKenobi_CastingAnnounce.jpg?w=1024

Was hoping they’d recast the lead. Thought mcgregor was awful in the prequels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

golfball37 wrote: »

That's definitely not a Ewan McGregor problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Bad Batch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm confused: aren't these supposed to be clones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭golfball37

Gbear wrote: »
    That's definitely not a Ewan McGregor problem.

The movies had many problems including him as Obi Wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

golfball37 wrote: »

What type of actor do you think would have done a better job? To me he got pretty close to a younger version of Alce Guinness's Obi Wan. He had a lot of clunkers of lines but that's not his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    The problem is that he never sounded like anything other than a Scot trying to do an English public school accent and it was always uneasy. And coupled with the atrocious lines he was given to say, the whole thing gets compounded into a pretty poor performance. McGregor is a decent actor, but Kenobi wasn't his finest hour, even when you take the ineptitude of the prequels into account.

Like others, I am distinctly nonplussed about this 'Kenobi' series. But it seems to be a one shot, so far. So if it's any use it might be worth a look. But frankly a Ben Kenobi TV show is probably the least interesting thing to do with Star Wars that I can think of right now.

As to the idea of a recast, however, it's a firm no to that.

pixelburp wrote: »

They are, but, as the name implies, these clones didn't come out quite right.
    Have you watched the Clone Wars series? They were introduced in the final season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

pixelburp wrote: »

Aye. But they're genetically different to standard clones. Each clone was designed with a unique skillset. But this came with a rebellious streak and they were declared enemies of the Empire. Basically 40 year old teenagers with a touch of space magic.

Cool, that answers that. Wasn't going to watch this anyway but was curious how and where they fit into canon.

As to criticism of McGregor, I think people are being harsh. I'll say the same of him as I did of Christensen; perfectly good actor, famously awful production, script and director. Any set of films that makes Samuel L Jackson sound bored automatically give a pass to its cast. Everyone was shít, except Ian McDiarmid, who was having a blast, treating the material with the ott energy it really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    They are, but, as the name implies, these clones didn't come out quite right.
    Have you watched the Clone Wars series? They were introduced in the final season

Was just going to ask, be better to have watched the clone wars before watching this?

I'm currently watching the clone wars in chronological order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

RedRochey wrote: »
    Was just going to ask, be better to have watched the clone wars before watching this?

I'm currently watching the clone wars in chronological order

Nah, there are recurring characters, but the story isn't diminished by not having seen the Clone Wars.

• Advertisement

The "rangers of the new republic" spin off is officially dead in the water apparently; no longer in "active development" according to sources. Didn't get the sense this was ever that far into production but you'd imagine the kerfuffle with Carano definitively killed it off.

Advertisement