Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Who is bashing Carano over this?

Well you have two pages or so here off this news just having a laugh at her acting. She didn't put herself forward, Disney did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Well you have two pages or so here off this news just having a laugh at her acting. She didn't put herself forward, Disney did.

Most of the conversation has been about how odd it is rather than how she can’t act.

The stuff being said about her isn’t bashing At all.

Also there doesn’t seem to be much embarrassment. Google “Star Wars” and you won’t find much talk of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This segue feels needlessly confusing :)

Disney undermined the "add everyone" tactic for awards season when it included noted Bad Actor, Gina Carano. That's kinda it really.

To the rest of the list, I actually forgot Titus Welliver was in an episode. That was a big waste of that excellent character actor, though he really brought great charisma to his small role.

Was the idea of Beskar created for this show? Or did it exist in the lore already?

I don’t remember Mando armour being shown to be indestructible in either The Clone Wars or Rebels.

Can we assume from the fact that the Jango/Boba helmet has the dent that it is not Beskar?

Can we also assume that Bo-Katan’s armour is also Beskar (been in her family for generations) and that Mando jumped in the way of Gideon’s shot out of instinct?

I’m hoping that in Season 3 and beyond we get to see Mando in action without the armour.

I love the armour and we have seen the character fight without the Beskar but occasionally I’d like to see him show how good he is without the indestructible suit.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's American awards, anything can happen. But if Carano won, the inanimate carbon rod that was her closest competition would feel aggrieved for missing out

By the way, I didn’t figure it out and had to look up the inanimate carbon rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

By the way, I didn’t figure it out and had to look up the inanimate carbon rod.

14087622162_e4fa3e5ebb_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I did a quick search of the thread from old to new with "Carano" , and it basically went from "gina who?" to she was great during the time the show was on.

Now "everyone" agrees she is a terrible actor :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I did a quick search of the thread from old to new with "Carano" , and it basically went from "gina who?" to she was great during the time the show was on.

Now "everyone" agrees she is a terrible actor :pac:

Had people in the thread said they thought she was a good actor?

There is a difference between thinking she was great on the show to thinking she can or cannot act.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm just knowingly salty about Carano because I hate actors who fail upwards by dint of their fighting experience; be it wrestling or MMA - though to be fair, Wrestling requires so much acting anyway, they usually have more to offer. The Rock didn't become the biggest star purely for his 'roided physique, the guy has charisma to spare. Someone like Katee Sackoff would have been so much better in the role - though obviously she has her own significant part in the show so not like she lost out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I thought she was fine in the role she had - I don't know if she could have been the mainstay of her own show though, which I believe was going to be the case before everything went sideways for her. Wasn't she going to be the star or a show based on her joining the rebels (as was the side story in season 2).

While fine as a secondary 'star', I don't think she had the acting chops to be the driving force of a show.

I'm just knowingly salty about Carano because I hate actors who fail upwards by dint of their fighting experience; be it wrestling or MMA - though to be fair, Wrestling requires so much acting anyway, they usually have more to offer. The Rock didn't become the biggest star purely for his 'roided physique, the guy has charisma to spare. Someone like Katee Sackoff would have been so much better in the role - though obviously she has her own significant part in the show so not like she lost out.

She was chosen for the role because her fighting experience. That is what Favereau wanted - an action star, not an actor.

I thought she was fine in the role she had - I don't know if she could have been the mainstay of her own show though, which I believe was going to be the case before everything went sideways for her. Wasn't she going to be the star or a show based on her joining the rebels (as was the side story in season 2).

While fine as a secondary 'star', I don't think she had the acting chops to be the driving force of a show.

I don’t care about an actor/performer’s politics, religion or that they use social media. I like the character she played and would have been happy for her continue regardless of her carry on but I find it odd to put her forward for an acting reward and even more odd in light of the fact that they fired her so she woollens taint the brand.

It was all speculation that she was going to be the lead in the Tangers of the New Republic. And it was nonsense speculation - like you say she doesn’t have the acting chops. She was going to be part of an ensemble or a recurring guest star. Never the lead character.

People also think they canned that show because they fired her which is also nonsense. If she was a part of the show they would just replace her with someone else. Not abandon a series that is to be part of story connecting the shows. True show is most likely on hold because Favereau and Filoni have a lot of work on, because Covid is delaying a lot everywhere or they have had other ideas about or instead of the Rangers.

She was chosen for the role because her fighting experience. That is what Favereau wanted - an action star, not an actor.

Obviously :) But I'd rather a good actor than a good fighter in any role that asks some degree of "significant" emoting; if that actor's a lead rather than just a heavy used for a set-piece. Especially as IMO it's easier to train an actor (see John Wick, or the MI films), or use a stunt-double, than asking a brick to convey emotion (see any Steven Segal movie lol). And given the very lead of this show wears a helmet, it's not like they weren't already using stunt doubles anyway.

Meh. She's a shíte actor who didn't really use her skill that much anyway, and is not jettisoned from the show... but this is probably the most a bit-part actor has been discussed in a TV show - so I'm going to agree to disagree on this conversation before everyone else completely falls asleep through boredom/repetition :D

Obviously :) But I'd rather a good actor than a good fighter in any role that asks some degree of "significant" emoting; if that actor's a lead rather than just a heavy used for a set-piece. Especially as IMO it's easier to train an actor (see John Wick, or the MI films), or use a stunt-double, than asking a brick to convey emotion (see any Steven Segal movie lol). And given the very lead of this show wears a helmet, it's not like they weren't already using stunt doubles anyway.

Meh. She's a shíte actor who didn't really use her skill that much anyway, and is not jettisoned from the show... but this is probably the most a bit-part actor has been discussed in a TV show - so I'm going to agree to disagree on this conversation before everyone else completely falls asleep through boredom/repetition :D

What emoting was required of the character?

She exists to be a heavy and not to be a part of drama. And why have a stunt double that will probably require VFX or hiding the face other ways when you can have the stunt performer do the job.

She wasn’t a bit part. She was a supporting character.

As to the snark about continuing the topic, I had already changed the subject. The reason the conversation about Carano is continuing is that you are one who is continuing it.

What emoting was required of the character?

She exists to be a heavy and not to be a part of drama. And why have a stunt double that will probably require VFX or hiding the face other ways when you can have the stunt performer do the job.

She wasn’t a bit part. She was a supporting character.

As to the snark about continuing the topic, I had already changed the subject. The reason the conversation about Carano is continuing is that you are one who is continuing it.

Wasn't snark, was just having a chuckle after replying to a post of yours, replying to my own. And now you're continuing the discussion again... so you're being as bad as me ;) Agree to disagree was meant to be friendly capper to the segue so *shrug*. I'm taking the last word :pac: ;)

Wasn't snark, was just having a chuckle after replying to a post of yours, replying to my own. And now you're continuing the discussion again... so you're being as bad as me ;) Agree to disagree was meant to be friendly capper to the segue so *shrug*. I'm taking the last word :pac: ;)

I changed the subject yesterday. You participated in continuing the topic that you say you don’t want to continue.

That makes you badder than me.

You can’t the last word because I want it now but if really, really really want it then I might be persuaded to guve it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's a new episode of "Disney Gallery" covering the Luke Skywalker ending.

There's an irony in how much they concentrate on how much work it took to do the deep fake and then someone on YouTube does it better at home and they end up hiring him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Strange thing is that they went back to footage and interviews he did from the time of the first film even though he looked different at that time prior to the accident.

His body double, Max Lloyd-Jones, did look like him. I know that was the point but I'd say he could get away with playing Luke if they didn't want to keep using deep fake to bring him back

So this won an Emmy this week for Best FX (to no great surprise TBH); as a result ILM released a quick rundown of the various types of FX used throughout season 2. A surprising amount of miniature and stop-motion work was used, for what was often trivial or throwaway background detail...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Gina Carano got sacked for much less than this... or will people tie themselves in knots defending Pedro he/him eulogizing a convicted pedophile. He works for Disney, what is he thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not a good look IMO. Voicing an opinion that you don't agree with the verdict is fine but calling Rittenhouse a murderer and holding up a convicted paedophile as a martyr is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Regardless of the trial I wish they would all stay in there lane and not tweet about politics or controversial stuff like this

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Pascal is entitled to comment on the case. I don't see him eulogizing anyone, but drawing attention to the fact that Rittenhouse was an armed vigilante that went out and killed people and walked away scot free. It sets a dangerous precedent now where armed men can go around taking it upon themselves to protect America as they see fit, and there are enough crazy conspiracies over there for all hell to break loose when these kinds of killers are being held up as heroic patriots.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

All I can see is him saying "rest in peace".

Where's the "eulogizing" or even the "holding up"?

Seems like small beer to me. Not pretending to know the details of the Rittenhouse case (to the point I had no idea whose those people even were TBH), but it's also, obviously a very sore point and hot potato ATM in America; anything related to gun deaths is a can of worms no corporation will touch. Disney would be mad to wade into it and take a side with anything punitive. It's not really morally equivalent to Carano's firing IMO, not least cos it's much easier to sack a bit player than the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Say nothing, tell Pedro privately to keep it down and by the time S3 comes around this will be ancient history. Drama can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Or else we could accept that we live in a world where people are allowed to express an opinion, whether we agree with them or not.

People are getting cancelled for sweet FA these days. Hopefully no-one makes a big deal out of this.

• Advertisement

Aside from anything, it's only a controversy if it gains traction. If nobody cares strongly enough that it blows up online, nothing will come of it. And given how fractious the whole situation is, no corporation's going to come down either way on their own initiative IMO.

Advertisement