Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda January intake 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

TallGlass wrote: »
    Yeah been low-key on here as assessing my options. Final informal appeal is over. Decision still stands. Which by itself is ridiculous. But spoke with a local TD and said he can't do anything as its final, however he will look into it.

No one says it on here, but once they say no they won't go back on it.

I'm honestly so disappointed I went to serious lengths at each stage, learned a shed load of Irish for PAS examination, wasted countless hours in touch with them, attending tests for medicals, physicals, meeting people, interviews.

The reason given, isn't family, isnt stuff on pulse about me as I have no convictions etc.. never even had a penently point! But it was one report from pretty much one person and it's all over. Literally, two people advised they I be hired as trainee and still I was rejected.

As usual, even though I am gone, I'm willing to advise anyone in similar circumstances on here on the process. But I will be honest, it's a bit of box ticking exercise.

Massively unfair that they waited 3 years to tell you. All that hard work, time and money that goes into this process. I'm gutted for you. Was the report from one of your references?
    Did you get a 'generally unsuitable' letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Yea tbh that's a joke keeping you waiting 3 years. I'd be fuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Massively unfair that they waited 3 years to tell you. All that hard work, time and money that goes into this process. I'm gutted for you. Was the report from one of your references?
    Did you get a 'generally unsuitable' letter?

Yes got the 'generally unsuitable' letter. I'm hesitant to give out the reason as I would be easily ID'ed based on it. However, it's more so a case of what I didn't do as opposed to what I did. I'll just say, 'volunteer role' that is seemingly not a 'volunteer role' a report sent out with regards 'hours'. I'll mention however all this, and I applied via a general stream, totally totally unfair on me.

Just on the 'generally unsuitable' letter for anyone interested, it's actually a funny process, you've 'two' options when in fact you've one option that's a formal review. There is an informal review but it will change nothing, so I don't even understand the point of it as an option. The formal review, is given as the impression as some sort of 'chat' and sort things out, it's anything but, I was ill prepared, if you need to go to one, go with dates, print everything out, do your homework around your reasons for rejection. You need to be in the 95-100% rate of convincing these guys anything less and it's pointless. Also expect a time line of no less than 5/6 months turn around time on your appeal, like anything else it's a slow slow slow process.

Once your 'formal' review is over, you literally get a letter saying, the decision is been upheld (assuming you'll get an email with start dates if you change it) and your application cannot receive any more attention. No more reasons, no more anything, good night god bless. Not even a thanks for your time. Like it's this weird limbo state you feel, that it's like is this real.

Here is a timeline for anyone interested

Applied Garda Trainee 2016 - 01/2016
    Garda Trainee 2016 interview - 08/2016
    Garda Trainee Irish Assessment - 12/2016
    Medical examination - 01/2017
    Physical examination - 04/2017
    Meeting with Serg - 04/2017
    Meeting with Super - 07/2017
    Rejected - 04/2018
    Final Rejection - 10/2018

26 request for information via email, I would x3 as you sometimes have to email the same email to see if someone can check, so in total I sent over 70 emails.

I would estimate also between, time off, staying down in Templemore, buying stuff to help train etc.. About 1500/1800€.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

Yeah been low-key on here as assessing my options. Final informal appeal is over. Decision still stands. Which by itself is ridiculous. But spoke with a local TD and said he can't do anything as its final, however he will look into it.

No one says it on here, but once they say no they won't go back on it.

I'm honestly so disappointed I went to serious lengths at each stage, learned a shed load of Irish for PAS examination, wasted countless hours in touch with them, attending tests for medicals, physicals, meeting people, interviews.

The reason given, isn't family, isnt stuff on pulse about me as I have no convictions etc.. never even had a penently point! But it was one report from pretty much one person and it's all over. Literally, two people advised they I be hired as trainee and still I was rejected.

As usual, even though I am gone, I'm willing to advise anyone in similar circumstances on here on the process. But I will be honest, it's a bit of box ticking exercise.

Sorry to hear that. That's a hard blow to take particularly after waiting patiently for 3 years.
    Was that one of the referees that you provided that gave them the negative feedback?

Also, how did they keep you strung along for 3 years? - Did they just say "vetting outstanding" in the hope you would just go away?
    I, along with I'm sure many others are from Sept '16 and keep getting told vetting outstanding after I email them regularly. Surely they would tell me I'm unsuitable if it were so?

Sorry to hear that. That's a hard blow to take particularly after waiting patiently for 3 years.
    Was that one of the referees that you provided that gave them the negative feedback?

Also, how did they keep you strung along for 3 years? - Did they just say "vetting outstanding" in the hope you would just go away?
    I, along with I'm sure many others are from Sept '16 and keep getting told vetting outstanding after I email them regularly. Surely they would tell me I'm unsuitable if it were so?

I'm honestly just so upset about it to be perfectly honest, between the time line which is shocking, the reason given for rejection, no prior indication of the problem regards said reason, the faults in the process via the stream I applied in, I was subject to an 'extra' step or report that others in my stream didn't have to be subject to.

Various blurs that I assume are just kept in notepad, 'Vetting outstanding', I actually got one saying 'Your file was reverted and is receiving extra attention' I think once I got that one I knew, it was a sinking ship at that stage.

From my understanding, the guys you email or ring, have no part in the hiring at all. Look at it like this, you go to an interview and ring the reception for an update on if you got the job. They just don't know, I am assuming, they just have a spreadsheet or similar with your name and an update on it, that's all they know. The discussion on my file, was flying around between the heads/directors of HR and the Comms office. I noticed from the initial 'no' to me been total was I think 4/5 months. It seems the communication flow is from HR execs to Comms office, Comms office to HR execs, to HR manager, to HR staff then you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dardis91

I was waiting nearly three years till final rejection recently lads.

Really sorry to hear about this!! Im in the 16 Campaign as well and just received an email that my vetting is still outstanding and that I now have to repeat my medical and fitness as it has been over a year since I have done them!! Utter madness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

Really sorry to hear that @TallGlass that's awful

Just got an email from HRM Appointments on Friday guys of an "Information Day" in templemore to run through the fitness test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

I myself am from the September 2016 campaign. I’ve everything completed since February last year or maybe even longer I’ve actually lost count.
    I keep getting the “there’s still a bit of vetting to be done” and a solid goodbye. HR only dish out the info it’s never their fault but something has to give soon. I’m gonna ring them again today.
    It’s actually January or never for me, I’m holding back in my current job on purpose as I don’t want to get in line for promotions and courses as it inflates my contract. But I’ve been doing this a year now with no communication from the Gaurds. My head is gone with all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

I myself am from the September 2016 campaign. I’ve everything completed since February last year or maybe even longer I’ve actually lost count.
    I keep getting the “there’s still a bit of vetting to be done” and a solid goodbye. HR only dish out the info it’s never their fault but something has to give soon. I’m gonna ring them again today.
    It’s actually January or never for me, I’m holding back in my current job on purpose as I don’t want to get in line for promotions and courses as it inflates my contract. But I’ve been doing this a year now with no communication from the Gaurds. My head is gone with all this.

That is such a pickle. I haven't even heard my results from interview yet but I just read this and thought my goodness that's terrible, I can really imagine the worry and you don't want to mess anyone around. I don't think anyone minds waiting if they have safety in knowledge, I was told by someone that generally unsuitable letters are rare enough so try to not think about that side of it. Is there no one to speak to about this in Templemore? Any support? Hang in there. You've waited this long and I hope you get some sort of reassurance soon. You're a lot nearer than me to getting through those gates that's for sure :) chin up

Guys sorry to harp on. Just on this above. Don't put your life on hold. Thankfully I didn't, I am in a well paying role. If I had of put my life on hold, I would be 3 years behind in my career. Thankfully I made tracks into my career, changed career and took promotions as they came to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

All this about rejections has now made me so nervous. I'm from 2016 intake, have everything passed, just waiting on vetting and have been able to console myself in the knowledge that I have everything done on my side, regards to vetting my extended family and I have clean records so just a matter of sit back and wait patiently for the call and send a few sporatic emails looking for updates on the file but now I'm not so sure anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Oojaymoo

I applied back in September 2016 too. Everything finished by that February. Was stuck on "outstanding vetting" up until last week. I am now being told that my file has been sent for decision. Any idea on how long that takes guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EMD1990

From the June 2017 campaign and exactly the same. Vetting aparently done & now waiting to be signed off. Depends what day you ring and who you talk to, answers vary.

• Advertisement

Who signs off on the vetting do ye know? It is HRM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Oojaymoo

Who signs off on the vetting do ye know? It is HRM?

Garda commissioner I think?.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kh90

Nowlan95 wrote: »
    It's probably still better than having relations in the UK that's what's holding my vetting up. I'm from June 2017 and OOM 66
    Hi I’m in the same boat Oom 70, have you heard anything since or what have they told you?

Kh90 wrote: »
    Hi I’m in the same boat Oom 70, have you heard anything since or what have they told you?

I'm from June 2018 recruitment [snipped]. My local sergeant has brought me in and got in touch with all my referees and is sending my file back up to vetting to get it processed. I've had an invite for an Information Day in Templemore to run through the PCT and I've had an email from HRM to confirm no dates have been scheduled yet for the actual PCT's. I have also yet to have my medical.

Do you reckon I'll be waiting for months? Some think that my file is being processed fast enough.

• Advertisement

Oojaymoo wrote: »
    Garda commissioner I think?.?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kh90

I'm from June 2018 recruitment and OOM 56. My local sergeant has brought me in and got in touch with all my referees and is sending my file back up to vetting to get it processed. I've had an invite for an Information Day in Templemore to run through the PCT and I've had an email from HRM to confirm no dates have been scheduled yet for the actual PCT's. I have also yet to have my medical.
    It is very hard to know everyone waiting is so different, I flew through everything very quick until it came to vetting and that’s what seems to be holding me up for months

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ThrillHo29

Hi lads,

I applied in the 2017 campaign. Latest update I got said my file is "being processed and will be forwarded for the Commissioner to make a decision". I presume that means it's beyond the vetting stage then? Did anyone get told anything similar?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

ThrillHo29 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I applied in the 2017 campaign. Latest update I got said my file is "being processed and will be forwarded for the Commissioner to make a decision". I presume that means it's beyond the vetting stage then? Did anyone get told anything similar?

Thanks

Sounds like it. Mines is still 'outstanding'

What's your OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ThrillHo29

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Sounds like it. Mines is still 'outstanding'

What's your OOM?

Thought so but they seem to have phrased it differently so was a bit thrown off by it.
    OOM is in the 80's from 2017 campaign. Fitness done since February.

I've been told that your OOM means nothing once you're done with Public Appointments Office. It's all down to your vetting after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

I've been told that your OOM means nothing once you're done with Public Appointments Office. It's all down to your vetting after that.

When I rang HRM they said that once everything has cleared your order of merit counts in how you’ll get offered a place first before someone else in the next intake.

When I rang HRM they said that once everything has cleared your order of merit counts in how you’ll get offered a place first before someone else in the next intake.

Really! Well if HRM said it then great! im [snipped] from June 2018 campaign so Im hoping early next yr I'll get to Templemore.

I have my PCT retest in the 1st of December just got the email. Anyone have their fitness test that day too?

ThrillHo29 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Thanks

I'm in the exact same position myself

• Advertisement

I have my PCT retest in the 1st of December just got the email. Anyone have their fitness test that day too?

That's Great! Nope haven't heard a thing yet about mine. Are you 2017/18 campaign?

That's Great! Nope haven't heard a thing yet about mine. Are you 2017/18 campaign?

I’m from May 2017. My vetting is cleared so hopefully I’ll pass the retest and start in Jan. I just have the obstacle course and push pull to do. Failed the push pull by 2kg. Very frustrating!

I’m from May 2017. My vetting is cleared so hopefully I’ll pass the retest and start in Jan. I just have the obstacle course and push pull to do. Failed the push pull by 2kg. Very frustrating!

Oh really! 2Kg? How long do you have to do the push and pull machine for? I'll be waiting a while so! I've had my meeting with the Sgt in local station and she has checked all my references and got the paperwork back up to vetting. Im so eager to start. I'm really gonna train hard now til I get called for the PCT. Being female I know I have to try harder training.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Anyone have hrm number ?

Oh really! 2Kg? How long do you have to do the push and pull machine for? I'll be waiting a while so! I've had my meeting with the Sgt in local station and she has checked all my references and got the paperwork back up to vetting. Im so eager to start. I'm really gonna train hard now til I get called for the PCT. Being female I know I have to try harder training.

The push pull is for 30 seconds I think. I would definitely advise you to start training ASAP. I’m a girl too and I found it so tough. You’d need a good 2/3 months to get your strength and fitness up. I would suggest a personal trainer that helped me a lot! You’d be surprised how quickly you’ll get called for the fitness test.
    I did my fitness sept 1st failed the push pull and they said I’m deferred for 3 months. 3 weeks later they email me to see if I’m willing to do my retest early so that I would go in in the October intake the following week. I put it off just so I know I’d have more time to train to make sure I pass in December. It comes out of the blue so try start getting your fitness up to the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Ah best of luck droptheworld I hope your retest goes well!

Anyone have hrm number ?

01 6662571

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭AniaSz

Really! Well if HRM said it then great! im OOM 56 from June 2018 campaign so Im hoping early next yr I'll get to Templemore.

June 2018 ?? There is still few hundreds people from 2017 waiting so i wouldnt count on it

The push pull is for 30 seconds I think. I would definitely advise you to start training ASAP. I’m a girl too and I found it so tough. You’d need a good 2/3 months to get your strength and fitness up. I would suggest a personal trainer that helped me a lot! You’d be surprised how quickly you’ll get called for the fitness test.
    I did my fitness sept 1st failed the push pull and they said I’m deferred for 3 months. 3 weeks later they email me to see if I’m willing to do my retest early so that I would go in in the October intake the following week. I put it off just so I know I’d have more time to train to make sure I pass in December. It comes out of the blue so try start getting your fitness up to the standard.

Thanks i will! Were you waiting long between interview and pct?

• Advertisement

Thanks i will! Were you waiting long between interview and pct?

I was delayed for mine. I did interview December medical April I had to get laser eye surgery so when I resubmitted my clearance letter the start of August I had the fitness the start of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 peader06

Anyone know an appropriate date to start annoying hrm about vetting again? Lol

��������

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

peader06 wrote: »
    Anyone know an appropriate date to start annoying hrm about vetting again? Lol

I rang them last week after taking a month off from annoying them :-D

Got the good news that vetting was complete.
    I asked when next offers were out & was told not till January which I thought was strange.

Fabio_1988 wrote: »

I asked when next offers were out & was told not till January which I thought was strange.

When was your interview?

When was your interview?

October 2017

• Advertisement

October 2017

...oh! Im only 17SEP18. ☹

...oh! Im only 17SEP18. ☹

I had to get laser eye surgery though... that held me up an extra 3 months! Hopefully u don’t need that

I would have thought the offers would have been December with a start in January.

I would have thought the offers would have been December with a start in January.

Yeah I thought the same! I’m still hopeful there will be! Fingers crossed 🀞ðŸ»

Key Dates for 2018 Campaign

Date Stage
    3pm on 6th June 2018 Closing Date for online application

14th June – 3rd July Stage 1 Online Assessments:
    Part A - 14th- 20th Jun / Part B - 27th Jun - 3rd Jul

August / September Stage 2 Assessment Centre -
    The top group of candidates from Stage 1 will be
    invited to be assessed in early August. Further
    groups may be invited as required.

September 2018 Stage 3 to commence – Interviews and other
    assessments

October 2018 An Garda Síochána Clearance stage to commence for
    those successful at Stage 3 subject to eligibility
    being verified by PAS.

Mid-2019 It is envisaged that applicants from this campaign
    may be considered for intakes into the Garda College
    from mid-2019 however, this is subject to change*

* There are currently 1,000 applicants approximately still being processed from previous campaigns that will be considered first for intakes into the Garda College (subject to their files being approved).

FOUND THIS ONLINE - SO I GUESS IM LOOKING AT INTAKE MID 2019 HOPEFULLY

• Advertisement
Advertisement