Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda January intake 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Whats your oom?

Low 400’s. June 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EMD1990

I'm in the same boat. June 2017, OOM in the 500's

We've another 6 weeks to wait for the next offers to go out anyway so fingers crossed the vetting will be back in that time! I wouldn't put big money on it though :-\

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    We've another 6 weeks to wait for the next offers to go out anyway so fingers crossed the vetting will be back in that time! I wouldn't put big money on it though :-\

When I called them they said their waiting for the Commissioner to sign off, that the betting was complete.

EMD1990 wrote: »
    When I called them they said their waiting for the Commissioner to sign off, that the betting was complete.

You're a step closer than I am so. Surely you'll be in the next intake if they just have to sign you off. When did u do the fitness?

• Advertisement

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    You're a step closer than I am so. Surely you'll be in the next intake if they just have to sign you off. When did u do the fitness?

Still haven't done the physical. Medical done since April/May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

Hi All, I passed Interview mid Sept [snipped]. Vetting is currently being processed with only my husbands brother living in the US no one else abroad. waiting on getting called for medical and fitness. Do ye think I will be waiting long?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dardis91

Sept 16 cam still waiting on outstanding vetting!! Will I ever get in at this rate? When the next offers out to you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

dardis91 wrote: »
    Sept 16 cam still waiting on outstanding vetting!! Will I ever get in at this rate? When the next offers out to you know?

There is a guy who waited nearly 5 years 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GLdeC

dardis91 wrote: »

I'd say next offers will be out second week of December and before Christmas. What is holding your vetting? Best of luck to you anyway.

• Advertisement

I actually got a call from my local sergeant yesterday to come in for the chat. And my garda friend was contacted to provide his reference to HRM. So things seem to be progressing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

There is a guy who waited nearly 5 years 😑

Jesus! Any idea what the hold up was and if he had to repeat the physical because it expired after 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Jesus! Any idea what the hold up was and if he had to repeat the physical because it expired after 12 months?

I just gleaned this from another thread, I think it was the 2016 applicants thread. Vetting is what held him up according to the thread.

My OOM is in the 60s but I have to do the Irish test and have a large family living in 3 countries so I'm anticipating a long wait. Just going to enjoy life in the meantime.

As for repeating the physical...is that really a big deal if you pass it the first time? Surely people wouldn't want to get fat and unfit the minute they pass the physical.😋

Next intake is in 12weeks time so I was told by someone currently in Templemore

GLdeC wrote: »
    I'd say next offers will be out second week of December and before Christmas. What is holding your vetting? Best of luck to you anyway.

I lived in New Zealand for over a year so im assuming thats the hold up on my vetting! Fingers crossed to everyone hopefully it will be worth the wait!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

I actually got a call from my local sergeant yesterday to come in for the chat. And my garda friend was contacted to provide his reference to HRM. So things seem to be progressing for me.
    You're certainly progressing quickly. The earliest intake we are eligible for is the second quarter of 2019, so if we're lucky we're looking at the April intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I was waiting nearly three years till final rejection recently lads.

TallGlass wrote: »

Ah God, I'm sorry to hear that lad. I was wondering how yoi were getting on. Are you going to appeal it? What did they say?

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Ah God, I'm sorry to hear that lad. I was wondering how yoi were getting on. Are you going to appeal it? What did they say?

Yeah been low-key on here as assessing my options. Final informal appeal is over. Decision still stands. Which by itself is ridiculous. But spoke with a local TD and said he can't do anything as its final, however he will look into it.

No one says it on here, but once they say no they won't go back on it.

I'm honestly so disappointed I went to serious lengths at each stage, learned a shed load of Irish for PAS examination, wasted countless hours in touch with them, attending tests for medicals, physicals, meeting people, interviews.

The reason given, isn't family, isnt stuff on pulse about me as I have no convictions etc.. never even had a penently point! But it was one report from pretty much one person and it's all over. Literally, two people advised they I be hired as trainee and still I was rejected.

As usual, even though I am gone, I'm willing to advise anyone in similar circumstances on here on the process. But I will be honest, it's a bit of box ticking exercise.

Yeah been low-key on here as assessing my options. Final informal appeal is over. Decision still stands. Which by itself is ridiculous. But spoke with a local TD and said he can't do anything as its final, however he will look into it.

I'm honestly so disappointed I went to serious lengths at each stage, learned a shed load of Irish for PAS examination, wasted countless hours in touch with them, attending tests for medicals, physicals, meeting people, interviews.

The reason given, isn't family, isnt stuff on pulse about me as I have no convictions etc.. never even had a penently point! But it was one report from pretty much one person and it's all over. Literally, two people advised they I be hired as trainee and still I was rejected.

As usual, even though I am gone, I'm willing to advise anyone in similar circumstances on here on the process. But I will be honest, it's a bit of box ticking exercise.

Ah gutted for you. Really sorry to hear that. There was a sergeant at one of the open days who said he makes an effort to investigate anything in a file that stands out to him, so that he can give a person a decent and fair chance. He said there are plenty who don't bother. Really sorry lad. They left you hanging in limbo long enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Massively unfair that they waited 3 years to tell you. All that hard work, time and money that goes into this process. I'm gutted for you. Was the report from one of your references?
    Did you get a 'generally unsuitable' letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Yea tbh that's a joke keeping you waiting 3 years. I'd be fuming.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Massively unfair that they waited 3 years to tell you. All that hard work, time and money that goes into this process. I'm gutted for you. Was the report from one of your references?
    Did you get a 'generally unsuitable' letter?

Yes got the 'generally unsuitable' letter. I'm hesitant to give out the reason as I would be easily ID'ed based on it. However, it's more so a case of what I didn't do as opposed to what I did. I'll just say, 'volunteer role' that is seemingly not a 'volunteer role' a report sent out with regards 'hours'. I'll mention however all this, and I applied via a general stream, totally totally unfair on me.

Just on the 'generally unsuitable' letter for anyone interested, it's actually a funny process, you've 'two' options when in fact you've one option that's a formal review. There is an informal review but it will change nothing, so I don't even understand the point of it as an option. The formal review, is given as the impression as some sort of 'chat' and sort things out, it's anything but, I was ill prepared, if you need to go to one, go with dates, print everything out, do your homework around your reasons for rejection. You need to be in the 95-100% rate of convincing these guys anything less and it's pointless. Also expect a time line of no less than 5/6 months turn around time on your appeal, like anything else it's a slow slow slow process.

Once your 'formal' review is over, you literally get a letter saying, the decision is been upheld (assuming you'll get an email with start dates if you change it) and your application cannot receive any more attention. No more reasons, no more anything, good night god bless. Not even a thanks for your time. Like it's this weird limbo state you feel, that it's like is this real.

Here is a timeline for anyone interested

Applied Garda Trainee 2016 - 01/2016
    Garda Trainee 2016 interview - 08/2016
    Garda Trainee Irish Assessment - 12/2016
    Medical examination - 01/2017
    Physical examination - 04/2017
    Meeting with Serg - 04/2017
    Meeting with Super - 07/2017
    Rejected - 04/2018
    Final Rejection - 10/2018

26 request for information via email, I would x3 as you sometimes have to email the same email to see if someone can check, so in total I sent over 70 emails.

I would estimate also between, time off, staying down in Templemore, buying stuff to help train etc.. About 1500/1800€.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

Sorry to hear that. That's a hard blow to take particularly after waiting patiently for 3 years.
    Was that one of the referees that you provided that gave them the negative feedback?

Also, how did they keep you strung along for 3 years? - Did they just say "vetting outstanding" in the hope you would just go away?
    I, along with I'm sure many others are from Sept '16 and keep getting told vetting outstanding after I email them regularly. Surely they would tell me I'm unsuitable if it were so?

Sorry to hear that. That's a hard blow to take particularly after waiting patiently for 3 years.
    Was that one of the referees that you provided that gave them the negative feedback?

Also, how did they keep you strung along for 3 years? - Did they just say "vetting outstanding" in the hope you would just go away?
    I, along with I'm sure many others are from Sept '16 and keep getting told vetting outstanding after I email them regularly. Surely they would tell me I'm unsuitable if it were so?

I'm honestly just so upset about it to be perfectly honest, between the time line which is shocking, the reason given for rejection, no prior indication of the problem regards said reason, the faults in the process via the stream I applied in, I was subject to an 'extra' step or report that others in my stream didn't have to be subject to.

Various blurs that I assume are just kept in notepad, 'Vetting outstanding', I actually got one saying 'Your file was reverted and is receiving extra attention' I think once I got that one I knew, it was a sinking ship at that stage.

From my understanding, the guys you email or ring, have no part in the hiring at all. Look at it like this, you go to an interview and ring the reception for an update on if you got the job. They just don't know, I am assuming, they just have a spreadsheet or similar with your name and an update on it, that's all they know. The discussion on my file, was flying around between the heads/directors of HR and the Comms office. I noticed from the initial 'no' to me been total was I think 4/5 months. It seems the communication flow is from HR execs to Comms office, Comms office to HR execs, to HR manager, to HR staff then you.

Really sorry to hear about this!! Im in the 16 Campaign as well and just received an email that my vetting is still outstanding and that I now have to repeat my medical and fitness as it has been over a year since I have done them!! Utter madness!!

Really sorry to hear that @TallGlass that's awful

Just got an email from HRM Appointments on Friday guys of an "Information Day" in templemore to run through the fitness test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

I myself am from the September 2016 campaign. I’ve everything completed since February last year or maybe even longer I’ve actually lost count.
    I keep getting the “there’s still a bit of vetting to be done” and a solid goodbye. HR only dish out the info it’s never their fault but something has to give soon. I’m gonna ring them again today.
    It’s actually January or never for me, I’m holding back in my current job on purpose as I don’t want to get in line for promotions and courses as it inflates my contract. But I’ve been doing this a year now with no communication from the Gaurds. My head is gone with all this.

Advertisement