Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers want a state apology

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

I work around the country a lot I could be in Kerry one week and Donegal the next. During the course of the job I would talk to a lot of farmers and i usually ask them what’s the area like, do you ever get any hassle etc. They all have the same stories about travellers. Most of them have had stuff robbed by the travellers or have had to run travellers off their land. They are basically the scourge of rural Ireland. They are constantly on the look out to rob portable machinery and tools that can be sold on quickly. Guards for the most part are useless in catching them. Travellers should be the ones apologising.

Rural crime is code for Traveller crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm reminded of Viz's apologies to UK gypsys:

53n7i.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So they got recognition as an ethnic minority, now they want an apology.

How long until they mount a bleeding heart campaign looking for compensation ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The number of anti-traveller threads on Boards is increasing week by week. I'm beginning to think the vast majority of Irish people have little or no sympathy for their predicament.

What predicament?

They choose to commit crimes that puts a disproportionate amount of their community in jail.

They choose to pull their kids from school at a very early age leaving them unequipped for the workforce in later life.

They choose to trash the houses they are given and live in squalor.

They choose to shun modern medicine and health advice leaving them with a life expectancy 15-20 years less than the rest of society and an infant mortality rate 4 times higher than the rest of society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

humberklog wrote: »
    I know the writer of that article well. Many years ago when her natural mother was dying in hospital I brought her to visit to say goodbye. Rosalean was badly mistreated her whole life by the majority of her family and grew up under the watchful care of a wonderful foster lady. Every service in the country bent over backwards to give Rosalean the best of what it could.

During the visit her family got wind she was visiting her mother and charged into the hospital with the intention of attacking Rosalean. Rosalean wasn't great at using her electric chair so to make an escape I threw her over my shoulder and ran through the corridors, down a flight of stairs and into reception where thankfully there was security and Gardai.

It's really galling to read that article knowing just how much good decent people did (and do) for Rosalean all through her life and the abysmal treatment and abuse she received from her own family and the broader travelling society.

And yet- it's the "settled" community that need to give the apology.

Nearly 30 years on from that incident in the hospital she's still never said Thanks.

You are a hero. I know this is AH but seriously, no sarcasm there - I mean it. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Being part of a society is a two way street, there needs to be give and take on both sides. Recent history shows us that travellers want a one way street where they live by their own rules but are fully accepted and supported by the wider community - that will never work

Plenty of lifestyles have been assigned to history, where are the black smiths, tin smiths, lock keepers, barge operators, steam thrashers gone to ?? The traveller lifestyle of tue 1940’s that was part of overall society and accepted has gone and is dead, what it’s been replaced with is a lifestyle of antisocial behaviour and criminal elements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm reminded of Viz's apologies to UK gypsys:

53n7i.png
    I remember the strip in Viz that this refers to. It's out there on the interwebs and hits a few nails on the head. It's also much more aimed at Irish or Irish ancestry Travellers than Romani Gypsies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Well, of course they are different. There isn't really any connection between Roma people and Romanians. I don't know why Irish people associate them.

Ok i looked into this and i was mistaken.

I had originally thought that Romani Gypsies had migrated into Romania from somewhere else and that was their main country of modern origin. However thats totally wrong.

Romania does have a large population of them (about 9% of the Romanian population) but a lot of other countries have significantly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

"Somewhat similar to the Roma gipsys are different genetically than to Romanians."

Aren't the Roma mainly from the northern Indian region, not Romania?

Yes they are. I was mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The number of anti-traveller threads on Boards is increasing week by week. I'm beginning to think the vast majority of Irish people have little or no sympathy for their predicament.

I am heartened by this positive development
    It's clear that the first paragraph of this post is tongue in cheek - one only has to read the next sentence. Yet some folk seem to be choosing to read it as irony free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Yeah they'll get it. Just as soon as everyone gets their property back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When they realize an apology won't be coming they'll make a video demanding an apology, they'll get big man jo joyce to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This person is a member of the council of State. So a person of influence...

https://twitter.com/ruairimckiernan/status/1044887717639868416?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

When they realize an apology won't be coming they'll make a video demanding an apology, they'll get big man jo joyce to do it.

I'd love to see Leo doing a Youtube reply to a callout :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

wexie wrote: »

Biscuits all over screen now!

I'd pay to see that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Im an ethnic minority!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

_Brian wrote: »
    So they got recognition as an ethnic minority, now they want an apology.

How long until they mount a bleeding heart campaign looking for compensation ??
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/call-for-oireachtas-group-to-consider-reparations-for-travellers-1.3552956

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

In the most bluntest of term's the rest of society is not responsible for the travellers inability to cop the fúck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's clear that the first paragraph of this post is tongue in cheek - one only has to read the next sentence. Yet some folk seem to be choosing to read it as irony free.

Humour is very subjective. Anyone who knows me would be aware of my feelings about our mobile brethren

RobertKK wrote: »
    The author of that article is on the National Women’s Council of Ireland.

https://twitter.com/nwci/status/1044502872107491328?s=21

Paveebeoir. Says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

selephonic wrote: »

It's an attempt to make a wholesale copy of the USA's racial justice movement and transplant it into Ireland with travellers in the role of African-Americans. I recall Jesse Jackson visited a few years ago and made some statements about their shared struggle.

Whatever the merits of such a movement in the states it has very dubious applicability to Ireland. African Americans were transported to the US as slaves, Travellers continue to keep slaves and had their advocates attempting to defend the practice when there was a trial over it in the UK in recent years. The only similarity is that there's lots of money to be made by monetising grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

We should set up an agreement similar to the Belfast Agreement.

Lets call it the Pavee Agreement. As part of the process we'll set up an Independent International Commission on Decommissioning.

This will oversee the decommissioning of slash hooks, sulkey racers, hiace vans and the phrase "sup of milk for tha babi"

Any traveller that surrenders a stolen power tool, spool of copper wire(over 10meters) or stolen "dawg" will automaticalyl get a face to face state apology from former Taoiseach Enda Kenny. He said he would be only too delighted to carry out this task after his previous momentous declaration of travellers as an Ethnic Minority (he does however say that he's not going into a Halting site or to a funeral in case they haven't declared all the slash hooks)

In America there's a profit to be made from prisoners as they makes goods for massive corporations. In Ireland there's absolutely no reason to send anyone to prison unless they really need to be kept away from the rest of the population. Even then it's rare they actually go to prison. You hear about scumbags with 80 or 90 convictions getting away with murder here all the time.

I wonder has someone from Pavee Point watched some documentary about blacks in America getting tougher prison sentences and made the ridiculous comparison to the prison system here.

A few years ago there was a story about the traveller I mentioned earlier in the local paper. It was online but unfortunately it's been removed. It made an interesting read. His lawyer described this rapist as 'naive' and went on about his tough upbringing. He ended up with a sentence of five months then returned to the halting site by the river where he continued to sexually assault women going for a walk in the evening. This fucker is laughing at the legal system. 'Naive' my bollocks.

We live in a country where Larry Murphy is walking free. We don't even imprison those who should be kept away from the population long enough. He should have been freed when he was old and incontinent and a danger to nothing more than a moth. Not let him out in his prime, built like the hulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

We live in a country where Larry Murphy is walking free. We don't even imprison those who should be kept away from the population long enough. He should have been freed when he was old and incontinent and a danger to nothing more than a moth. Not let him out in his prime, built like the hulk.
    I mean what dangerous psycho is gonna give the slightest **** about consequences with that state of affairs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wexie wrote: »

Joe joyce"Ya dirty ****e leo! give us our respect and apology! kathleens bike kathleens bike"

Leo then will do what Conor G did in that video a couple of posts back and pretend to start to give an apology and then tell em all to feck off :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Biscuits all over screen now!

I'd pay to see that!!!

I would pay good money to hear Leo say "****e in a bucket"

Some muppet at that oireachtas committee looking to ban the word knacker, saying it's hate speech.

Go feck yourself. That word is an essential part of my Victorian English vocabulary. It's a superb little word.

Knacker. Knacker. Knacker.

It's a wonderful word. I'm keeping it. I'll use it every chance I get. Knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

JayZeus wrote: »
    Some muppet at that oireachtas committee looking to ban the word knacker, saying it's hate speech.

Go feck yourself. That word is an essential part of my Victorian English vocabulary. It's a superb little word.

Knacker. Knacker. Knacker.

It's a wonderful word. I'm keeping it. I'll use it every chance I get. Knackers.

It's still a trade today.

You call the knacker if a large farm animal dies. They dispose of the carcass.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

VonZan wrote: »
    Travellers; always the victims, never the cause. My heart bleeds for them.....

Just what we need, another bleeding heart :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Joe joyce"Ya dirty ****e leo! give us our respect and apology! kathleens bike kathleens bike"

Leo then will do what Conor G did in that video a couple of posts back and pretend to start to give an apology and then tell em all to feck off :D.

Leo: "I would like to take this opportunity to apologize. To absolutely nobody. The Taoiseach does whatever the **** he wants."

I might develop a bit of respect for him if he finally grew a pair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement