Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers want a state apology

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

One solution for travellers would be for the Guards to set up a CAB type operation that just focuses on Travellers. Raiding sites, taking assets off them, covert surveillance etc. Seeing as their main business is crime this would put pressure on them to get in line with the rest of society and would stop a lot of rural crime too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

We should be clamping down on their behaviour not issuing them a state apology.

They should issue us with an apology!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Travellers should have their own Police like the native Americans had back in the day.
    Maybe that'll be their next demand.
    Then, their own reservation (Leitrim County)
    Good grass for ponies up there, and plenty of trees to ****e behind.
    They could even elect their own Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

The way I hear them spoken about, and the way I have seen them treated, I believe they are owed an apology.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    The way I hear them spoken about, and the way I have seen them treated, I believe they are owed an apology.

Very funny! At least they won’t know what we are saying about them on here because they can’t read. They’ll only know if you rat on us. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Very funny! At least they won’t know what we are saying about them on here because they can’t read. They’ll only know if you rat on us. :D

It's funny, you probably voted for gay marriage, and abortion as they are hip ideals, but when a minority is clearly getting discriminated it's ok because it fits your agenda. Not all travellers are trouble, just like all blacks are not lazy or all Jews are greedy

It's funny, you probably voted for gay marriage, and abortion as they are hip ideals, but when a minority is clearly getting discriminated it's ok because it fits your agenda. Not all travellers are trouble, just like all blacks are not lazy or all Jews are greedy

I dont have a vote so didn’t vote for any of them. I’ve dealt with a lot of travellers over the years and from what I can see they are actually getting worse. Though if you notice the thread is about travellers as a collective being trouble not about some individual travellers that you say are sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Not all travelers are trouble unfortunately a massively disproportionate number of them are and that is why there is a lack of trust.

They are not being discriminated against by anyone apart from themselves, they have the same rights everyone else has in this country it is just they chose not to take advantage of the opportunities the country provides them.

If you don't want to help yourself you can't expect anyone else to want to do it for you.

I think people dislike them because they blame everyone else for their self inflicted problems and because of the disproportionate number of travelers who have caused trouble for others in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

As long as they live off the taxes of working people they are open to criticism.

And there is a lot to criticize in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We have seen in the last few years that Irish people can be very open and accepting.
    You have to wonder tough why they aren't as accepting to member of the travelling community.
    It's not that people are closed minded or unaccepting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Then get your parents to apologize, not the state.

I never addressed the state apology in a single one of my posts.

But yes I agree, many of our parents do need to apologise for having perpetuated such a bigoted and exclusionary attitude towards other human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

On July 3rd, 2018, a cross-party Oireachtas group debated issues relating to the historical racial abuse of Travellers.

Not all historical. Just have to click on to boards.ie to view the weekly racist "Traveller bashing" thread filled to the brim with fascist keyboard stormtroopers.

It's a poorly written article but since when does one Irish Times "journalist" count as the entire traveller community. I know several traveller families and not one has ever told me they want an apology from the Irish state.

Does raise some interesting points about hate speech & discrimination laws, like in some European countries Holocaust denial is illegal & other pro-Nazi banned, in Austria & Germany people have been sent to up to 5 & 6 years in prison for breaking these laws. Should there be more harsh laws against hate speech here?

We have seen in the last few years that Irish people can be very open and accepting.
    You have to wonder tough why they aren't as accepting to member of the travelling community.
    It's not that people are closed minded or unaccepting.

I think both sides need to take some resposibility for the poor relations between the settled & traveller communties. I think the more liberal minded travellers need to be more embraced & encouraged by the settled community and travellers need to be more open to new ideas & ways of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/we-must-not-treat-migrants-the-way-we-ve-treated-travellers-higgins-1.3645173?mode=amp
    President Michael D Higgins has said Ireland must not treat migrants the same way it has treated members of the Travelling community.

Mr Higgins, who is seeking re-election to the Áras, gave a keynote speech at the launch of a four-year migrant integration plan by Limerick City and County Council on Friday.

Migrants are treated well here from what I sss as they mostly integrate very well into society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I think both sides need to take some resposibility for the poor relations between the settled & traveller communties. I think the more liberal minded travellers need to be more embraced & encouraged by the settled community and travellers need to be more open to new ideas & ways of living.

Are they the ones that pull their sulkies with unicorns? cos I've never seen one.

It's just such a complex thing.
    I'm talking about rural Ireland here more so.
    I have often heard older people say they used used services in the past be it shoeing horses, painting roofs,etc.
    However at some point the relationship changened and now they wouldn't turn to members of the travelling community for their services.
    They'd gladly embrace members of other minority groups but for some reason travellers are the ones that seem to have slipped out of favour.
    We need a an honest open discussion about why things have changed so much and take it from there.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Not all historical. Just have to click on to boards.ie to view the weekly racist "Traveller bashing" thread filled to the brim with fascist keyboard stormtroopers.

It's a poorly written article but since when does one Irish Times "journalist" count as the entire traveller community. I know several traveller families and not one has ever told me they want an apology from the Irish state.

Does raise some interesting points about hate speech & discrimination laws, like in some European countries Holocaust denial is illegal & other pro-Nazi banned, in Austria & Germany people have been sent to up to 5 & 6 years in prison for breaking these laws. Should there be more harsh laws against hate speech here?

People like you would like to see travellers given immunity from prosecution for certain crimes, once met a deluded social worker type who claimed paying taxes was not part of traveller culture and who was I to argue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

I have often heard older people say they used used services in the past be it shoeing horses, painting roofs,etc.
    However at some point the relationship changened and now they wouldn't turn to members of the travelling community for their services.
    They'd gladly embrace members of other minority groups but for some reason travellers are the ones that seem to have slipped out of favour.
    We need a an honest open discussion about why things have changed so much and take it from there.

Too many charlatans doing well out of not adressing the issue honestly.

Beit the legal sector getting fat from court representation etc or various virtue signalling lefty academics and quangocrats as well as media types both earning smug points from championing a pet minority project while lecturing us working stiffs for being intolerant, the whole thing is now a sewer of false narratives and phoney agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

"Somewhat similar to the Roma gipsys are different genetically than to Romanians."

Aren't the Roma mainly from the northern Indian region, not Romania?
    Correct,but in Europe since the middle ages,in iasi ( Romania)were actually kept as slaves in the early 1800 s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think most people know what happened.

Melendez wrote: »
    "We have seen in the last few years that Irish people can be very open and accepting.
    You have to wonder tough why they aren't as accepting to member of the black community.
    It's not that people are closed minded or unaccepting."

One word changed. Has that statement suddenly turned racist?

I saw people in the past and they'd have being uneasy around members of the black community but after only a short few years. They'd have no issues with them. They'd gladly be friends with them, will take to them, Will hire them. This is mainly due to the fact they proved themselves.
    This is because they integrated themselves into there community and showed that all stereotypes were false.
    So these people would be open and accepting to change after all and all it took was a little work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The state should apologise to the general population for their part in creating a criminal underclass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

all blacks are not lazy

Course not, super high intensity rugby ball team.

Melendez wrote: »
    And this statement is supposed to show what? That you used to be anti black people as well but eventually they conformed to behaviour you thought acceptable, and now you are ok with blacks?

I never said it was me.
    It just shows that their is a good chance that members of the travelling community do have a chance of being accepted totally in Ireland some day. It might take a little work from both sides.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Are they the ones that pull their sulkies with unicorns? cos I've never seen one.

Maybe if you took those swastika tinted glasses of for a second you could see the woman who wrote the article this thread is based on is a liberal. She's certainly not a conservative by the tone of the article, so there's the very first one you've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Maybe if you took those swastika tinted glasses of for a second you could see the woman who wrote the article this thread is based on is a liberal. She's certainly not a conservative by the tone of the article, so there's the very first one you've seen.

If by "liberal" you mean "wants to blame everyone else except travellers for the problems of travellers" then yes, she's a liberal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I never said it was me.
    It just shows that their is a good chance that members of the travelling community do have a chance of being accepted totally in Ireland some day. It might take a little work from both sides.

You use this tactic a lot "the people in my town", "people in rural Ireland", instead of just saying what YOU actually think.

It's a good way to get away with saying a load of crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement