Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers want a state apology

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They should be apologizing for all the scumbag behaviour and hassle they've caused people down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Floppybits

t
    Travellers, dry the crocodile tears, take some responsibility, get your own f*cking Caravan in order and stop this campaign to emphasise your differences with the rest of the irish people. all you are archiving is further ostracisation and further state dependence.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Here's the thing, all traveller's have been discriminated against yet not all travellers are involved in crime, dole sponging etc

How about the government commission an actual report with some straight forward numbers reported.

1. How many people identify as traveler.
    2. How many have a criminal conviction both adult and juvenile convictions should be recorded. This should be broken down into multiple categories by crime and age.
    3. Length of time since last conviction (or release from prison) broken down by age.
    4. How many are currently employed in tax paying jobs that are of working age 16-65) that are not in full time education.
    5. Average number of years worked compared to age.
    6. Average education reached.

I would suspect that criminal convictions would likely effect close to 100% of some form of conviction or another. To give this some comparison we would need numbers from non traveler society.

Rumors will always circulate about this but we have no numbers to go by.
    If the traveler community say they are being discriminated against how about we get some actual statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Admittedly, it has been a long time since I was resident in Ireland but I recall there being a lot of state support for travellers. Their experience is nothing like that of the native people's of pre-colonial Australia and New Zealand, never mind apartheid. Those comparisons are frankly disgusting and I would have expected better from the Irish Times.
    Would she not be better off trying to stand up for traveller women than trying to win some sort of meaningless apology from the state?

Ok I want to know what you have done with ancapailldorcha. :eek:

The only hint of the old ancapailldorcha is that the poster expects something journalistically better and coherent from the Irish Times.

As for the apology request, well it shows how far sections of society have now gone up their own ar**. :rolleyes:

EDIT: can we also get the list of the current 6 morons/pi**takers that voted YES.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Can I get an official apology from the traveller group for a member of their community coming into my business and robbing the till and my handbag?
    While they’re at it, maybe a reimbursement too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In one paragraph she complains about travellers poor health and further down the page she complains about them being checked for nits in school. Make up your mind, either you want someone to look after your health or you don't.

And what's this shite about them being over represented in prison? I (unfortunately) know a traveller who has been convicted of sexual assault on women numerous times but I think the longest sentence he's ever served is nine months. I guess even that is too much and he should just hurt whoever he wants. It's not like it's his fault or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

They are a strange kind in some respects.

I saw a video on French travellers there lately and was shocked to see such similarity in the MO.
    Ditto a video on an outfit in the U.S. called Romanichal. They claim descent from English gypsies.
    There are Scottish travellers too.
    Not to talk of eastern European Roma.

By MO, I'm talking about a nomadic heritage, garish clothing, rejection of formal education, ostentation, strict old-fashioned pairing rituals but yet provocative dressing by single girls, superstitious religiosity, confinement of females to domestic duties and child-rearing, strong clan bonding, quick to anger, higher criminality than rest of population, absolute loyalty to own people ahead of any rules devised by outsiders.

Uncanny across such a geographic spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

topper75 wrote: »
    Uncanny across such a geographic spread.

They use Facebook and Whatsapp groups :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

Travellers want a state apology

Travellers can ask my bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Here's your apology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

For one of the biggest groups of bullies I've had the misfortune to encounter, Travellers sure do love playing the victim.

This is why it will be very interesting if the Mosque in Kilkenny gets the go ahead. Not only is it across from Nowlan Park GAA grounds, across the street from O'Loughlin Gaels GAA club and St. Kieran's Cemetery but the down the road is a Traveller's halting site.

I said it will be interesting to see who's side the Gardai will be on if/when trouble between the two groups kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    This is why it will be very interesting if the Mosque in Kilkenny gets the go ahead. Not only is it across from Nowlan Park GAA grounds, across the street from O'Loughlin Gaels GAA club and St. Kieran's Cemetery but the down the road is a Traveller's halting site.

I said it will be interesting to see who's side the Gardai will be on if/when trouble between the two groups kick off.

On the Hierarchy of Victimhood, brown always trumps white, so in a battle between travellers and muslims (assuming the travellers are all white and the muslims aren't) the muslims win. The travellers will learn a valuable lesson on how the left loves a victim until a bigger one comes along.

Gravelly wrote: »
    On the Hierarchy of Victimhood, brown always trumps white, so in a battle between travellers and muslims (assuming the travellers are all white and the muslims aren't) the muslims win. The travellers will learn a valuable lesson on how the left loves a victim until a bigger one comes along.

Definitely. The Muslims will trump the Travellers in the Victim Olympics hierarchy,but it will still be a laugh to watch the Gardai try and suddenly act hard with the Travellers.

This is a valuable lesson for anyone. The Left only loves you as a victim group until the next ones comes around and they can score more points and votes off them. Then you're discarded like yesterday's trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In America there's a profit to be made from prisoners as they makes goods for massive corporations. In Ireland there's absolutely no reason to send anyone to prison unless they really need to be kept away from the rest of the population. Even then it's rare they actually go to prison. You hear about scumbags with 80 or 90 convictions getting away with murder here all the time.

I wonder has someone from Pavee Point watched some documentary about blacks in America getting tougher prison sentences and made the ridiculous comparison to the prison system here.

A few years ago there was a story about the traveller I mentioned earlier in the local paper. It was online but unfortunately it's been removed. It made an interesting read. His lawyer described this rapist as 'naive' and went on about his tough upbringing. He ended up with a sentence of five months then returned to the halting site by the river where he continued to sexually assault women going for a walk in the evening. This fucker is laughing at the legal system. 'Naive' my bollocks.

In America there's a profit to be made from prisoners as they makes goods for massive corporations. In Ireland there's absolutely no reason to send anyone to prison unless they really need to be kept away from the rest of the population. Even then it's rare they actually go to prison. You hear about scumbags with 80 or 90 convictions getting away with murder here all the time.

I wonder has someone from Pavee Point watched some documentary about blacks in America getting tougher prison sentences and made the ridiculous comparison to the prison system here.

A few years ago there was a story about the traveller I mentioned earlier in the local paper. It was online but unfortunately it's been removed. It made an interesting read. His lawyer described this rapist as 'naive' and went on about his tough upbringing. He ended up with a sentence of five months then returned to the halting site by the river where he continued to sexually assault women going for a walk in the evening. This fucker is laughing at the legal system. 'Naive' my bollocks.

The Prison system can do with reform both here and in the US. We can't lock up people the least little thing like in the US, but you also can't let them off with a slap on the wrist for serious crimes like they tend to do here. Its the epitome of going from one extreme to the other. A balance needs to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

piplip87 wrote: »
    Why is it the left and the liberals stand up for those who agree with the right ?

Travellers are by definition deeply religious so abortion, gay marriage, women's rights to work and education are all big no no's to them.

Arranged marriage still exists, why instead of looking for apologies that are not needed they tackle the inequalities in their own society first.

It's a small minority of liberals in fairness. Just look at any traveller thread. There's a consensus, based on experience and statistics that traveller culture has major problems for the travellers themselves and particularly for the victims of their large criminal element. You'll only see two or three of the same posters defending them here so while those posters may be liberal, they're only a small minority of liberal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Aweful sorry to hear Travellers make up 0.6 per cent of the population yet account for 10 per cent of the male prisoner population and 22 per cent of the female prison population.

And 25% of all children in care

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

any politician who dares issue an apology on my behalf to these people will never get a vote again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Apologize for what?
    We've been doin no harm to nobody so we haven't.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't think it would be prudent at this time for an apology, when not last week we had rural farmers and communities saying how venerable they are from them.

They can all F off with the changes they want to animal welfare and trespass laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

jmayo wrote: »
    Ok I want to know what you have done with ancapailldorcha. :eek:

The only hint of the old ancapailldorcha is that the poster expects something journalistically better and coherent from the Irish Times.

As for the apology request, well it shows how far sections of society have now gone up their own ar**. :rolleyes:

EDIT: can we also get the list of the current 6 morons/pi**takers that voted YES.
    Up to 10 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Instead of blacklives matter it's now travellers lives matter....

Hash tag I couldn't give a fluck

Ahh travellers.. always think of this video...

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Admittedly, it has been a long time since I was resident in Ireland but I recall there being a lot of state support for travellers. Their experience is nothing like that of the native people's of pre-colonial Australia and New Zealand, never mind apartheid. Those comparisons are frankly disgusting and I would have expected better from the Irish Times.

It's exactly what I would expect from the Irish Times.

seamus wrote: »
    Actually it is a little bit relevant.

It may not have been quite as severe as apartheid or what happened in Australia, but during the 50s and 60s there was an attempted "gentrification" of Travellers into Irish society.

Part of which involved the forced removal of children from their parents and suppression of traveller culture by forcing them into state housing.

There was also a systemic bias against travellers within state bodies.

Not exactly genocide, but something that should really be acknowledged by the modern state as a mistake. It certainly contributed to the creation of the mess we have today by distorting and damaging the flow of knowledge from one generation of travellers to the next.

However, this is tilting at windmills, IMHO. A state apology for a relatively short-lived and minor wrong fixes nothing. It won't help the integration of travellers into mainstream society, or even encourage it. If anything, it may embolden the resistance to it.

Blacksmith's and horse shoers were also forced to abandon their lifestyle.

It's called the reality and necessity of change, you seem to think travellers should have had there nomadic existence subsidised even further.

I suspect that but in the meantime a member of the Women's Council of Ireland is cheerfully ignoring a suppression of the rights of traveller women and girls in an oppressive patriarchal culture right on her own doorstep. It begs the question of what is the point of the council if it is happy to ignore such abuses.

Travellers are a sacred cow of the PC Liberal left so rampant mysogony is ignored by otherwise hardcore feminists.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Turnipman wrote: »
    "Many Traveller children experienced physical violence and being ridiculed by being forced to have our hair checked for nits and then being showered."

So presumably, in Ms. McDonagh's opinion, the nits should have been allowed to remain where they were, free to increase and multiply at will, and to sleep in Garda stations whenever they felt the urge?
    Jayzus, I'm in line for a fortune. The nit nurse was a regular feature of the primary school in the 70s. EVERYONE got checked and those who needed it got treated. My mother used to corner us all at least once a week and nearly rip the heads off of us with the nit comb for fear we would have the little buggers, for one, but more for fear of the nit nurse finding osmething!

piplip87 wrote: »
    Why is it the left and the liberals stand up for those who agree with the right ?

Travellers are by definition deeply religious so abortion, gay marriage, women's rights to work and education are all big no no's to them.

Arranged marriage still exists, why instead of looking for apologies that are not needed they tackle the inequalities in their own society first.

The left hate the mainstream, travellers like Muslims are not mainstream.

Both are sacred cows of the left so the deep right wing culture is defended and blamed on the mainstream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Amazing

At least 11 travellers are on boards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement