Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers want a state apology

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I followed this on my phone so only realized now on pc that it's a pole.

I don't think ALL travellers are bad, crooks, scumbags etc. I've met many in Dublin that hold down real 9 to 5 jobs & some better educated then me & some with 3rd level degrees. I have met some travelers that I do trust.

I actually find there can be a rural/urban decide when it comes to travellers.
    I often find some city people would be a lot more accepting of travellers more than people in rural towns/areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I often find some city people would be a lot more accepting of travellers more than people in rural towns/areas.

That's because there are still some Guards in cities.

Traveller logic

'We chose ourselves to pursue a nomadic lifestyle under the misguided banner of 'culture and tradition' in which our kids education levels suffer on top of their personal hygiene, mental and physical well being, and thus levels of crime increase and our standard of society plummets dramatically ....but its the countrymans fault....and the gubberment.... feck personal responsibility'

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I actually find there can be a rural/urban decide when it comes to travellers. I often find some city people would be a lot more accepting of travellers more than people in rural towns/areas.

I have been thinking lately that maybe in Dublin the travellers are better behaved or at least some are. More settled maybe.

In nutgrove in Dublin there is one of the first travellers housing built. Built in the late 70s or early 80s. I remember other travellers pulled up in caravans about a mile away closer to Rathfarnham village. Around 1990 or so. Invited in by a developer looking for planning permission if memory serves.

Everyone wanted these new travellers moved including the settled travellers in nutgrove. They weren't angels themselves but they found that they newcomers were worse then themselves and were getting the settled travellers a worse name than they had.

I read here on boards.ie posters taring all travellers with the one brush. In Dublin I see both types. Good & bad. Though I might stick up for travellers I do know that there are scumbags too. I don't disbelieve the stories here on boards.ie as we see some of that in Dublin but there are also hard working travellers in Dublin and many country posters seem to have never seen an honest traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

My experience of travellers is that they contribute nothing to society yet expect everything in return. They never work, are experts in exploiting the social welfare system & have too many children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ahh travellers.. always think of this video...

Fair play to the Belgian guy's education in English.

Like Sleeper12 I've bumped into a few Travellers that were OK, even sound. In every case but one they were either elderly folks, or "settled" Travellers. Those who took the offers of a leg up and ran with it and now their kids and grandkids are like anyone else. Two I knew went to university and have pretty good lives nowadays. If a non settled Traveller goes to Uni it makes the papers. I recall one lass last year who did. That she was able to in that environment says much for her strength of character and that of her parents. That she is such an outlier also speaks volumes of that "culture" and environment.

Of those settled folks I've talked with the strong impression given is that as families left the lifestyle it selected for the worst of those and the worst of the culture and what we have left...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Put Nally in power Monday morning and it'd all be sorted by tea time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I see travellers virtually every day here (country town) in comparison to when living in Dublin I didn't see any. If it's not that traveller group hanging around the high street it's the other traveller group or it's another group.

They hang around the shop fronts blocking doorways and especially the young male group that swagger around as if looking for trouble. I often I see the young male group conversing with retail shop staff which much be really annoying when one is trying to work.*

The point is I think they are more of a nuisance in small towns than they are in cities.

*I do actually feel sorry for young ppl hanging round town aimlessly with noting to do, what a pointless life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In nutgrove in Dublin there is one of the first travellers housing built. Built in the late 70s or early 80s. I remember other travellers pulled up in caravans about a mile away closer to Rathfarnham village. Around 1990 or so. Invited in by a developer looking for planning permission if memory serves.

They also burned down one of the houses after a death in it about 10 years ago. Had to be rebuilt, you can see it in the middle of this Streetview picture.

No idea what the story is about the house on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

KevRossi wrote: »
    They also burned down one of the houses after a death in it about 10 years ago. Had to be rebuilt, you can see it in the middle of this Streetview picture.

Still looks that way as of yesterday

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote:

That's been like that awhile now. You'd wonder what is going on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I want an apology.

No reason.

I just want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

KevRossi wrote: »

Longford Co.Co. built a development of bungalows to house travellers about 20 years ago.
    Across from where Aldi is, and every house was burned/looted.
    Still sitting there now, an absolute eyesore.

I want an apology.

OK I'm sorry.

Feelin better now are we? :)

MAJJ wrote:
    Still looks that way as of yesterday

Nutgrove way? Was that not called St Francis estate in the 80s or am I remembering wrong?

Nekarsulm wrote:
    Longford Co.Co. built a development of bungalows to house travellers about 20 years ago. Across from where Aldi is, and every house was burned/looted. Still sitting there now, an absolute eyesore.

I remember when the state started building the first houses for travellers in the 70s or 80s. Some didn't catch on to the fact that the house was theirs. Some stripped out the copper from their own homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Can we have another referendum on the 26th of October asking if the state should apologise to travellers? I'd love to see the result!

Maybe they can have Conor McGregor issue the apology if passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I remember when the state started building the first houses for travellers in the 70s or 80s. Some didn't catch on to the fact that the house was theirs. Some stripped out the copper from their own homes.

They destroyed the ones next to the Cemetery my Dad is buried in [which is across the street from the proposed Mosque.] Windows permanently boarded up The Housing Estate Wall was knocked down [God only knows how they managed it]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

There is a halting site on the Headford road in Galway. It was abandoned the last time I was there years ago. I happened to be working on the road beside it so went in in for a look out of curiosity. The floor of toilet block was covered in dried turds so basically they were crapping on the floor. They need to apologise for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

There is a halting site on the Headford road in Galway. It was abandoned the last time I was there years ago. I happened to be working on the road beside it so went in in for a look out of curiosity. The floor of toilet block was covered in dried turds so basically they were crapping on the floor. They need to apologise for that.

Tut tut did you do DNA tests on all the dried turds?
    Connor Jonney might have been crapping on the floor but maybe Mary did not.

Think of that next time before you decided to tar all of them with the one toilet brush.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

Tut tut did you do DNA tests on all the dried turds?
    Connor Jonney might have been crapping on the floor but maybe Mary did not.

Think of that next time before you decided to tar all of them with the one toilet brush.

Ethnic minority special inbred DNA :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Time for the government to pony up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Romanians called their country that to highlight associations with the Roman Empire. I understand they generally find it unfortunate that people in fact associate the name with Roma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

They can have an apology instead of free houses and a general exemption from law enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

yes the state owes alot of them an apology - sorry for ignoring you for so long we will send our revenue officials to you asap !

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I know the writer of that article well. Many years ago when her natural mother was dying in hospital I brought her to visit to say goodbye. Rosalean was badly mistreated her whole life by the majority of her family and grew up under the watchful care of a wonderful foster lady. Every service in the country bent over backwards to give Rosalean the best of what it could.

During the visit her family got wind she was visiting her mother and charged into the hospital with the intention of attacking Rosalean. Rosalean wasn't great at using her electric chair so to make an escape I threw her over my shoulder and ran through the corridors, down a flight of stairs and into reception where thankfully there was security and Gardai.

It's really galling to read that article knowing just how much good decent people did (and do) for Rosalean all through her life and the abysmal treatment and abuse she received from her own family and the broader travelling society.

And yet- it's the "settled" community that need to give the apology.

Nearly 30 years on from that incident in the hospital she's still never said Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Crikey humberklog, that is disturbing.

This part "poor health status, high suicide rates and an over-representation in prison– a familiar truth to the Traveller community in Ireland" - it's incredible how these problems, which are clearly caused by lifestyle choices/environment, are blamed on the rest of society.

And why have traveller children been made to change out of their uniforms before leaving school? Why would a school enforce this? I'm inclined to believe it's because they don't want to be seen by members of their own community to be attending school.

What is wrong with diagnosing learning difficulties? Psychologists don't just pluck this out of the sky for the craic. There are traveller children who are at a disadvantage when they start school because they don't have basics taught to them for the first four or five years of their lives by their parents - such as counting, being read to, using colouring books and jigsaws etc.

The other grievances I understand (although travellers did not have a monopoly on this - plenty of poor settled children suffered institutional abuse too) but so much has been done by the state to rectify this.

Today, the prejudice is due to a disproportionate amount of crime, violence, intimidation, self entitlement and animal mistreatment endemic in traveller society. And the much too common marriage of children, the unsanitary conditions, lack of contraception use, shunning of education... are not the fault of settled society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

No problem once i get an apology for robbing my power washer and mig welder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Better than that. Some rocked up and setup at a pitch and putt in Headford years ago. Found human sh1te in one of the holes. They outlasted the pitch and putt anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

The number of anti-traveller threads on Boards is increasing week by week. I'm beginning to think the vast majority of Irish people have little or no sympathy for their predicament.

I am heartened by this positive development

It's very heartening, it shows most people don't fall for the media spin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement