Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Huberman. Finding Joy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Steve F wrote: »
    The show had a total reach of 604,000 people over the course of the episode, which takes into account viewers who watched at least a minute of the programme.

LOL

It also included people like me, who tuned in to witness what is the very public freak show that RTE Nepotism and lack of creativity which we are subjected to year round at this stage.

Of course, the fact that this organisation is hemorrhaging over €500,000 per week, of which no doubt Amy will pocket a tasty slice...the joke truly is on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

In fairness have RTE ever really produced a truly funny comedy series? I cant think of one that could justifiably be called that.

I did watch this new effort last night and was underwhelmed by it.

Soupy Norman.
    Though to be fair, they only did the dubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I saw the first 10 minutes and thought it was poor. Toilet humour thrown in for the sake of it. Another miss from RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I laughed several times, which is many more times than the zero laughs I got from Alison Spittle's show and Derry Girls (to give just 2 examples of things people apparently rolled around on the floor at recently)

Derry girls is class. Funny and well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Derry girls is class. Funny and well written.

And it stars Jamie-Lee O'Donnell, very attractive and talented woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

lawred2 wrote: »

Ray D'Arcy loved it too. He told Amy when he had her on yesterday.

Do you think they'd ever be a radio host who'd have the balls to say to someone on plugging their new show "you know I don't really like it, didn't find it funny". It would be great to see, but expecting someone on Rte to criticise some other Rte product is simply not going to happen.

Especially when Irelands Posh n Becks are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ray D'Arcy loved it too. He told Amy when he had her on yesterday.

Do you think they'd ever be a radio host who'd have the balls to say to someone on plugging their new show "you know I don't really like it, didn't find it funny". It would be great to see, but expecting someone on Rte to criticise some other Rte product is simply not going to happen.

Especially when Irelands Posh n Becks are involved.

Callan has a fair auld dig at them all, every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Lasted maybe less than 5 minutes. About the same level of humour you'd get in a senior Scór Novelty Act from the 1980s. And the acting was at about the level of a junior Scór Novelty Act.

Lasted maybe less than 5 minutes. About the same level of humour you'd get in a senior Scór Novelty Act from the 1980s. And the acting was at about the level of a junior Scór Novelty Act.

Again, so what?
    That isn't the criteria for something like this. The level of humour in Mrs Brown is awful, the level of acting in it makes this look like something from the RSC, yet it is a worldwide massive success.

It's flimsy sitcom comedy, try judging it on those terms and it was okay. Nothing exceptional, but a decent effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Soupy Norman.

Soupy Norman was excellent. Have the scriptwriters etc done anything since ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Well done. I lasted about 8 seconds. She was speaking like a 13 year old American.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Again, so what?
    That isn't the criteria for something like this. The level of humour in Mrs Brown is awful, the level of acting in it makes this look like something from the RSC, yet it is a worldwide massive success.

It's flimsy sitcom comedy, try judging it on those terms and it was okay. Nothing exceptional, but a decent effort.

Ah I forgot about judging it on its own terms.

Comparing it then to the corpus of flimsy sitcom comedy, it succeeded in achieving the same lack of humour typical of such shows. However where it excelled was the lameness and cringe factor of trying to substitute OTT swearing and dog crap for jokes. It was also evident that Huberman was totally unsuited to this role - she doesn't seem to be able to create a character past herself. (I say this as someone who thought the courtroom/lawyer drama not too bad at all - because in this context she is believable).

Ah I forgot about judging it on its own terms.

Comparing it then to the corpus of flimsy sitcom comedy, it succeeded in achieving the same lack of humour typical of such shows. However where it excelled was the lameness and cringe factor of trying to substitute OTT swearing and dog crap for jokes. It was also evident that Huberman was totally unsuited to this role - she doesn't seem to be able to create a character past herself. (I say this as someone who thought the courtroom/lawyer drama not too bad at all - because in this context she is believable).

We are one episode in. Considering what a sitcom has to achieve in the first episode it didn't do to badly.
    She has established a character that is nothing like any of the others I have seen her playing.
    No idea where you are getting the idea that she is 'unable' to do it after one episode. Seems a tad curmudgeonly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Did Aisling Bea co-write this? She is genuinely funny (which is presumably why she's making her living in the UK rather than on RTE).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

loyatemu wrote: »
    Did Aisling Bea co-write this? She is genuinely funny (which is presumably why she's making her living in the UK rather than on RTE).

Just like every other half successful Irish media personality (except Tommy Tiernan ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

This could have been the greatest comedy ever and the response here would be the same.

I think it’s ok so far and I just stumbled on it.

Are you sure you'e not watching the microwave?

Just like every other half successful Irish media personality (except Tommy Tiernan ;) )

Do you have any idea how many Irish people, who have had and are having good and productive careers in all aspects of television in Ireland and the UK and further afield?

What a wankish, begrudging based comment that is.

Do you have any idea how many Irish people, who have had and are having good and productive careers in all aspects of television in Ireland and the UK and further afield?

What a wankish, begrudging based comment that is.

I'm sure many are. And many had to move to the UK.
    Dara o Briain, Dylan Moran and Ed Byrne to name a few.

I'm sure many are. And many had to move to the UK.
    Dara o Briain, Dylan Moran and Ed Byrne to name a few.

So did many construction, IT and etc etc etc others. Plenty of talent among them.

But originally all you could begrudgingly think of was one comedian. I pity that level of self hate tbh

So did many construction, IT and etc etc etc others. Plenty of talent among them.

But originally all you could begrudgingly think of was one comedian. I pity that level of self hate tbh

I can think of plenty of comedians, Jason byrne, Pj Gallagher and Andrew Maxwell, but none of the calibre of those mentioned above and none with an international appeal outside the Irish diaspora.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Wasn't that the Apre Match team, or at least some of them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 greasy underpanse

Soupy Norman.

Soupy Norman was the best thing they ever did and was 100 times funnier that finding joy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 greasy underpanse

Garlic Mushroom Walter but it never took off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

The show had a total reach of 604,000 people over the course of the episode, which takes into account viewers who watched at least a minute of the programme.

LOL

That is an Industry standard. Nothing to do with RTE, it's the same in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Soupy Norman was the best thing they ever did and was 100 times funnier that finding joy

"Finding Joy" doesn't have to be funny, even if they bill it as such. That's the beauty of the comedy department in RTE. It'll quickly be re-branded as a "drama comedy" if the laughs fail to hit their mark, despite the obvious slapstick and caricature nature of some of the characters. It's exactly what they did with Can't Cope, Won't Cope.

I can think of plenty of comedians, Jason byrne, Pj Gallagher and Andrew Maxwell, but none of the calibre of those mentioned above and none with an international appeal outside the Irish diaspora.

Why do you think you have to have 'international appeal' to have a good and worthwhile career?

I'm sure Gallagher and Byrne etc are self aware enough to know that their acts will have limited appeal outside of a given audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Graham Norton ?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

People who give hate after one episode would do well then remember Victor Lewis-Smith‘s review of The Office when it first aired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭tintin67

LOL

If the show had an average 378,000 viewers but 604,000 watched at least one minute it would suggest an awful lot of viewers didn't like what they saw and swiftly switched over to something else. Saw the first few minutes - I think the first two words were "f**k off", which obviously a lot of viewers then did. Seems to be one of these modern RTE things full of middle class women swearing, shagging and desperately trying to be 'edgy'. I assume somebody had an orgasm at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonad wrote: »
    People who give hate after one episode would do well then remember Victor Lewis-Smith‘s review of The Office when it first aired :)

If I`m not mistaken, Fawlty Towers also received plenty of criticism after the first episode aired back in 1975, but at least that was completely un-PC by today`s standards even if genuinely very funny.

Advertisement