Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Huberman. Finding Joy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

The dog turd scene was a very accurate metaphor for what followed.

She’s trying too hard to be like Jane from The IT Crowd, and failing.

You mean 'Jen', I think.

As for the show, I agree with those who said it was 'meh'.

It may improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Saw about two minutes of it and it was cack.

Yet, it can be almost guaranteed that not one "critic" will stick their head over the parapet and actually negatively review the show. How could you be critical of our national treasure Amy sure?

It really sticks in my craw how she can go on a promotional tour around various (carefully selected) media outlets in the country, and her show is touted up as being must-watch tv. Alison Spittle and Stephanie Pressnier could do no wrong with the vanilla brigade either.

Meanwhile, the national tv station is languishing in mediocrity for years now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 greasy underpanse

Why is it that no media outlet, tv review, newspaper reviewer, radio presenter will come out and say, actually that show last night was a big ball of dung, what is it about amy huberman that she can do absolutely no wrong, is it because she is married to BOD? like if we want to talk about fairness and equality, i can guarantee you that if someone from fair city wrote that muck it would be knocked into the ground, in fact it would never have even been considered by RTE, let alone have a national promotional tour, she seems like a reasonable actor but theres nothing to make her stand out from the hundreds of irish actors out there apart from the fact that she has gained a higher profile due to who she is married to....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Indo Review

Independent review above. Not so gushing as I'd have expected.

Still manage to call her the nation's sweetheart( Could be a joke).

Think I'll give the show a miss as I just don't find her funny or having any screen presence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I note there's a token English character. Why does virtually every Irish TV drama series have at least one character with an English accent, usually with no explanation?

so they can sell it to the English, UKTV seem to pick up this kind of stuff. In fairness it was clearly signaled as a very very light, and Huberman isn't the worst actress and in this very light comedy drama she's joining the dots, don't expect much.

Also Huberman has forged a career for herself, she has been on nearly every single Sunday Night drama on RTÉ since the demise of Glenroe (20 fing years nearly), long before she met BOD, On Home Ground, The Clinic, Striking Out, surprised she didn't get a role in Raw or Love/Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why is it that no media outlet, tv review, newspaper reviewer, radio presenter will come out and say, actually that show last night was a big ball of dung,

...because it wasn't?

It wasn't the most brilliant bit of comedy ever seen either, but who was expecting that?
    ITV and BBC produce worse than this all the time and churn it out and it passes under the radar because there isn't the same high ratio of people there, that there is here, waiting and hoping for a show to fail.
    This thread has more comment on Amy Huberman as a person (imagined) than it does on writing or production values.
    Even the begrudgery aside, RTE's output gets way way more scrutiny because the country and the station is so small, very difficult environment in which to work. There is more safe and bland in the arts world than there is genius and invention, but one cannot exist without the other.
    For every Fawlty Towers or The Office there are hundreds of failed and just competent attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

For every Fawlty Towers or The Office there are hundreds of failed and just competent attempts.

True, but whole other conversation where RTÉ have never really produced enough or given enough effort to have dramas and comedies that are mediocre to improve on those that are exceptional. and no it has nothing to do with money IMO.

This is a mediocre drama/comedy and in that vain from what I saw it did what it was supposed to do. Plenty of US drama's are far worse, just look a Shondaland!

...because it wasn't?

It wasn't the most brilliant bit of comedy ever seen either, but who was expecting that?
    ITV and BBC produce worse than this all the time and churn it out and it passes under the radar because there isn't the same high ratio of people there, that there is here, waiting and hoping for a show to fail.
    This thread has more comment on Amy Huberman as a person (imagined) than it does on writing or production values.
    Even the begrudgery aside, RTE's output gets way way more scrutiny because the country and the station is so small, very difficult environment in which to work. There is more safe and bland in the arts world than there is genius and invention, but one cannot exist without the other.

There were two moments where she farted and there was dog poo on her bed and she did an upskirt/wedgy, this is something i would expect in a school play written by two ten year olds. She is a decent actor, there is no doubt about that, but then again we have many decent actors in this country who dont get a tenth of the exposure. Sharon Horgan had to do it the hard way and its a testament to her success.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There were two moments where she farted and there was dog poo on her bed and she did an upskirt/wedgy, this is something i would expect in a school play written by two ten year olds. She is a decent actor, there is no doubt about that, but then again we have many decent actors in this country who dont get a tenth of the exposure. Sharon Horgan had to do it the hard way and its a testament to her success.

Look at the fart jokes and innuendo jokes and stolen jokes in the biggest comedy the BBC has done for years. Nothing unusual about them. I thought the first fart was funny tbh.

If I were you I would stop reading the Indo and glossies, because Amy Huberman is far from over exposed(nudge nudge wink wink!) in the world I inhabit.
    Actors come and go in cycles in my opinion anyhow. I.E. A year or two ago Bill Nighy seemed to be in everything, now not so much. Loads of examples.

• Advertisement

Look at the fart jokes and innuendo jokes and stolen jokes in the biggest comedy the BBC has done for years. Nothing unusual about them. I thought the first fart was funny tbh.

If I were you I would stop reading the Indo and glossies, because Amy Huberman is far from over exposed(nudge nudge wink wink!) in the world I inhabit.
    Actors come and go in cycles in my opinion anyhow. I.E. A year or two ago Bill Nighy seemed to be in everything, now not so much. Loads of examples.

i actually thought the second fart was funnier as she attempted to cover it up with a trumpet sound so i will give her that, i will also say that the dog character was a very clever addition but i will leave it there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

In fairness have RTE ever really produced a truly funny comedy series? I cant think of one that could justifiably be called that.

I did watch this new effort last night and was underwhelmed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

All a bit too Dublin 4 for me. Hopefully it will improve as the series goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

In fairness have RTE ever really produced a truly funny comedy series? I cant think of one that could justifiably be called that.

Paths to Freedom is probably the best comedy they have ever done IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any explanation for how some minimum wage blogger was living alone in what looked like a two or three million euro house btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

It's fictional?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Steve F wrote: »
    It's fictional?

sh!te I presume you meant to say

Thargor wrote: »
    Any explanation for how some minimum wage blogger was living alone in what looked like a two or three million euro house btw?

Is it any wonder theres a housing crisis

lawred2 wrote: »
    sh!te I presume you meant to say

Yes that's the truth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

It’s akin to The Roaring Twenties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Never anything that had broad appeal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I laughed several times, which is many more times than the zero laughs I got from Alison Spittle's show and Derry Girls (to give just 2 examples of things people apparently rolled around on the floor at recently). Some of the toilet humour was over done, and I was little too caught up with "is that the guy from Brady Ham ad?" Much funnier too than The Bisexual, starring many Irish people, on Channel 4 at the same time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Amy might as well walk on water, such are her connections. She couldn't ad-lib a fart after a baked bean dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I laughed several times, which is many more times than the zero laughs I got from Alison Spittle's show and Derry Girls (to give just 2 examples of things people apparently rolled around on the floor at recently). Some of the toilet humour was over done, and I was little too caught up with "is that the guy from Brady Ham ad?" Much funnier too than The Bisexual, starring many Irish people, on Channel 4 at the same time.
    Alison Spittles show was muck...I think most people thought so?
    Derry Girls was a lot of fun, not groundbreaking but some of it had me in stitches, maybe it helps if you grew up in north around that era (which I did).
    The lady who wrote Derry Girls had a show before called London Irish which i also enjoyed a lot but people seemed to hate that one.

I thought this show was fairly poor, not totally unwatchable but horribly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

gmisk wrote: »
    Alison Spittles show was muck...I think most people thought so?
    Derry Girls was a lot of fun, not groundbreaking but some of it had me in stitches, maybe it helps if you grew up in north around that era (which I did).

I thought this was fairly poor, not totally unwatchable but horribly predictable.

Ah Derry Girls was in a different league altogether

Anything Alison Spittle did was horrific

That guy who has an obsession for Ham who played human aidan may stick with board bia in my opinion

the dog was by far the only real good thing about this show

The show had a total reach of 604,000 people over the course of the episode, which takes into account viewers who watched at least a minute of the programme.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

The show had a total reach of 604,000 people over the course of the episode, which takes into account viewers who watched at least a minute of the programme.

LOL

so desperate to make this effort no53 to work

• Advertisement

LOL

my housemate passed by the tv at one stage, he must be counted

Advertisement