Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are ye eatin' and drinkin' - The Eatening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Gravy on a steak! Now ive seen it all Grandeod! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Porklife wrote: »
    Gravy on a steak! Now ive seen it all Grandeod! :P

Has to be beef gravy made in the pot.;)

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Has to be beef gravy made in the pot.;)

Looks delicious. I'm making fillet steak this evening with sweet and normal potato mash with purple broccoli. Maybe ill make some gravy too :)

Looks like im eating for 10 not 2 given the portion size but to hell with it!
    Lidl fillet steak for 5.99 is unbelievable. It's as good as any restaurant, very little fat and cuts with a butter knife (i have no steak knives!)

My mash isn't great but it never is. I don't know how to make decent mash!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thinly sliced roast beef with all the trimmings and a bottle of Merlot.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I has mushrooms stuffed with garlic herbs and cheese with breadcrumbs on top

I'm on strike today

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Lasagna, coleslaw and chips :)

Looks like im eating for 10 not 2 given the portion size but to hell with it!
    Lidl fillet steak for 5.99 is unbelievable. It's as good as any restaurant, very little fat and cuts with a butter knife (i have no steak knives!)

No gravy.:)

I has mushrooms stuffed with garlic herbs and cheese with breadcrumbs on top

I'm on strike today

As lovely and all as they are, that's only a starter. If anything it will only stimulate the appetite.

Have a proper dinner for yourself, if I was you I'd get a decent Chinese and keep half for tomorrow.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Crush On You

You have to learn how to manage the starch! You need to whip the mash around and around and around with a wooden spoon until your wrist feels like it's hanging by a thread.

• Advertisement

As lovely and all as they are, that's only a starter. If anything it will only stimulate the appetite.

Have a proper dinner for yourself, if I was you I'd get a decent Chinese and keep half for tomorrow.

I have food that needs eating. If I get peckish I'll have toastie or something.

You have to learn how to manage the starch! You need to whip the mash around and around and around with a wooden spoon until your wrist feels like it's hanging by a thread.

Damn starch strikes again! My mash always winds up gloopy..its disgusting. I bought a potato ricer to make it smooth and have tried adding warm cream. It doesn't seem to matter. Same with roast potatoes. I can follow a recipe to a tee and mine are soggy and horrible.
    Its annoying cos i love mash and roasties!

Boards version of Covid has infected the thread. Watch yourselves.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mystery Egg's Guide to Great Potatoes

The kind of potato you buy matters - get a maris piper, a rooster or a kerr's pink. For mash they must be floury.

Peel your spuds. Cut them into even sized chunks. Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add your potatoes and boil for 15 minutes, or until tender.

Drain well and allow to steam-dry.

For mash:

Mash or rice well. Add a big knob of butter and a splash of milk (hot, if you can) and plenty of salt and beat well with a wooden spoon.

For roasties:

Oven should be pre-heated to 200 celcius. Place a roasting pan in the oven and allow some fat to heat (goose fat is lovely but vegetable oil is fine too - whatever you have, but avoid olive oil imo). Remove carefully from the oven and add your potatoes. Turn them all in the fat to coat well.

Roast for 20 minutes, then turn each potato and roast again for a further 15-25 minutes until golden and crispy on the outside. Ovens will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dried caterpillar.
    Yuk

Dried caterpillar.
    Yuk

Did it give you the butterflies in your stomach?

Did it give you the butterflies in your stomach?

A load of bollix post RG. The feckin place is full of it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Grandeeod wrote: »
    A load of bollix post RG. The feckin place is full of it!

I don't disagree Grandeeod but caterpillars are a very common snack amongst Zimbabweans so I do know people who eat them!

I find the idea hard to stomach but then I do eat prawns, which can't be that different really.

I don't disagree Grandeeod but caterpillars are a very common snack amongst Zimbabweans so I do know people who eat them!

I find the idea hard to stomach but then I do eat prawns, which can't be that different really.

But Prawns are Prawns. I don't even like Prawns, but they are what they are. Fooking Prawns.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Just after a lovely evening snack of a ham, cheese and onion sandwich with lovely tomato soup, a nice cool beer from the fridge now to finish off the weekend.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna try your mash method tomorrow
    Mystery..I have roosters in the fridge to use up.
    I'll call it Mondays Mash Mission!
    I have alooootttaa time on my hands at the moment:)

Im hungry again despite my steak and horrible mash. Considering a crisp sandwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Crush On You

Im hungry again despite my steak and horrible mash. Considering a crisp sandwich

Another tip: when my mash goes a bit gloopy and I have dinner guests, I add a few crushed gloves of garlic and serve it as "purée". It is delicious and your cretinous friends will never guess. A few sliced chives or green onions on the top of the "purée" and the masquerade is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Damn starch strikes again! My mash always winds up gloopy..its disgusting. I bought a potato ricer to make it smooth and have tried adding warm cream. It doesn't seem to matter.

I wonder could you possibly be cutting your potatoes too small??
    And by the time they seem cooked, they are actually over cooked & watery. That could turn them gloopy when you mash them?

They need to be cut not too small, or too big either.

My mam, god love the woman, cuts the whole potato in half & boils them. Then when she mashes them, there are bits of uncooked potato lumps in it :o

Because of her mash, I have a fear of 'smashed potatoes' when I see them in a recipe. Just can't handle the thoughts of it at all.

I make fabulous mash because I made it my lifes goal to get it right! :D;)

Still can't cook beef though :rolleyes:

I have no problems with potatoes. Loads of practice. It helped in work with the giant mixer to make mash. Or some places had a moule. I prefer the mixer.
    My roasties and fries, wedges come out good too.
    I think you need patience though and practice. Also potatoes in the oven take a good bit to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'm gonna try your mash method tomorrow
    Mystery..I have roosters in the fridge to use up.
    I'll call it Mondays Mash Mission!
    I have alooootttaa time on my hands at the moment:)

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/12/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

Give this method a shot , we have my folks for Xmas dinner for the first time, the rest of kids stayed home so it could be in my smaller gaff.... my mother is a fantastic and hilariously competitive cook and she’s still raving about our roasties now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭joficeduns1

ArtyC wrote: »
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/12/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

Give this method a shot , we have my folks for Xmas dinner for the first time, the rest of kids stayed home so it could be in my smaller gaff.... my mother is a fantastic and hilariously competitive cook and she’s still raving about our roasties now :)

Seconding Kenji's method. The man is the greatest out there for techniques.

https://youtu.be/argKpeiKFfo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Had a spicey chicken fillet roll with a nice cup o coffee

Having a strong coffee, feeling wired

Turkey steaks marinated in garlic, ginger, chillies, honey, soya sauce and balsamic vinegar with a gravy then made from the marinade, steamed baby potatoes and green beans. Taste buds are still alive after it, a slow glass of red wine is the ultimate soother. Medium sized crunchie Easter egg in the freezer just in case.

• Advertisement

Hot dogs for lunch.
    Toastie special on seeded bread just a while ago.

Might have a coke now, I feel the coffee crashing

Advertisement