Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 laymansterms

If Henry does stay (and I think that it will be his decision to stay or go), then it needs to be for another 3 years. This team needs to be rebuilt with a definite style of play and that is a 3 year job. If he goes, then I would think Eamon O'Shea is a Galway manager in waiting.

I've always thought that Galway need to have momentum. We can't really lose one week then raise our game a week later the way other teams can. We need to be planning on winning the Walsh Cup, League, Leinster then AI and get the momentum that winning brings. I'm not sure that Henry ever got that - letting the League slip and focusing on later in the year never works for us.

I will say that I have been very critical of the county board over the years but I think the current county board has done a lot right and has been very supportive of all teams. However, they need to do something to connect the team with the supporters again. Galway people also need to get out and support their team but the team needs to give them something to cheer. The county board have to be more active on this. There is a of competition in Galway at the moment with Rugby, Football & Soccer and we don't want Hurling left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭cosatron

What was on display yesterday is not a true reflection of galway hurling, we are better than that and there will always be hurlers in galway its just a matter of getting the set up right. I thought Shefflin was poor this year very similar to Donoghue in 2019 both bringing in unfit Joe Cooney and Johnny Glynn. The players yesterday showed very little hunger or appetite for dirty work, Fintan Burke was the only one that put up his hand. As mentioned before Anthony Cunningham clear-out is required and a galway man as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Don't think O'Shea would be a great no. 1, better as a coach. Tipp lads would mainly be of that opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

There wasn't a single sign of anyone else's influence this year. It was copy and paste from last year and the year before. O Shea was brought in but unless he was also of the opinion that pumping long ball into our forwards was the way to go, it would look like he had little to no say. I also agree that he doesn't strike me as a no.1 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Grats

I was in Salthill for the Kilkenny v Galway match and it was obvious from watching E O'Shea on the sideline that he had a major say. Interestingly, Liam Sheedy was in the stand that day when Tipp were playing in Limerick. He clearly wasn't on media duty. The County Board may already have Henry's replacement lined up. Sheedy won't take risks. The pay is good but do Galway have the players!

• Advertisement

Galway don't have the players to win the all ireland at the moment but we have the players to be allot better than what was served up this year.

I thought O'Sheas mantra was always about creating space and playing the ball into that space. Any videos I saw of him coaching online seemed to support this and the way Tipp played when he was there also would. If so, then we saw none of that in the KK game or the Dublin game.

The county board would be better addressing the issues further down the line rather than lining up a big name for the senior job.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

We don't. This is the problem. Galway hurling public is delusional.

Who are these players? Are they good enough for senior intercounty with the effort and commitment required?

All this nonsense of underage success, club All Ireland's.…don't matter a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Staleturnips

When Johnny Glynn returning/being called up was announced that was an indication of how diabolical the situation was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It's probably being too optimistic but there has never been a better time to evaluate how badly we're developing players for the U-20 grade. There's something way off about their preparation, their fitness and their attitude when they're losing to sides that they had no issue with at minor.

We've all summer, autumn and winter to devise a new strategy at county board level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The core of that team is far to old and immobile to be competitive with the younger faster teams.

4th in Leinster is about the level now.

Oh I agree, if Henry welded the axe this year and gave some of the young lads a go, we would have being allot more competitive

That was only another indication that Shefflin had no intention of changing tact and was doubling down on lumping ball forward, just like he did for 3yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

These rigid 3 year contracts give me the pip at times. They seem to quite often just result in a wasted year.

As a Tipp man I thought they should have given Liam Sheedy a further 3 years in 2021 with the proviso that he start building a new team in 2021. But instead he went with the tried and trusted in 2021 and it was probably a wasted year and hecwas moved on. I think similar with Shefflin. Theh should have "stick or twist" with him last year and either finish up or extend and rebuild. 1 more year left him very little option but to do the same as Sheedy in 2022 with similar results.

We are in the same situation with Liam Cahill next year. What is the point of giving him 1 more year, if they believe in him enough to give him 1 more year they might as well give him another 3 years now and tell him to rebuild. Personally I would be for "twisting", we were at a low low ebb when he took over and 2 years on we are probably even lower. Id have no problem with two bad years if there was an iota of a sign of progress, but there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree totally, we don't have the players in Galway at the moment. By u20 level the teams that were winning or at least competitive at minor level are already gone, even getting some serious hammerings in recent years. Even at minor level we are starting to slip, so, something seriously wrong with how players are being coached and selected.

Even with all the problems of bringing in new players I think we should be more competitive, the teams in Leinster are all fairly mediocre, even Kilkenny are no great shakes ( they are a far cry from where they were 10 years ago), but we are making them look much better than they are, no real passion or fight in this team.

The future looks fairly bleak, I definitely think a new manager needs to come in ( definitely not O Shea), clear out most of the older lads and rebuild the team. If we continue to persist with current setup and players, we'll end up scrapping with the likes of Antrim, Offaly, Carlow and Laois to stay out of the Joe Mcdonagh Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 laymansterms

This is a bit over the top. So we don't have the players in the county at the moment, the U20s aren't good enough but get rid of the older lads. Who is left to play for Galway (in the Joe McDonagh cup apparently) after that?

Post edited by laymansterms on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

No Comer, Kelly, Finnerty........... hopefully still have enough but makes Westmeaths job of shutting down our forwards alot easier. I'm guessing they'll leave Shane close to Galway but outside of that no inside forward starting….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I hope they'll bring Shane to mullingar... He's good but he's not that good 😉

🤣🤣🤣🤣 fair point. Close to goal might be a better way of phrasing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭vid36

I am worried about this game, we are missing a lot of firepower, away from home and Westmeath are better than Sligo.

• Advertisement

They need to be able to put teams away without always relying on the same few. If Dublin were missing O Callaghan, Mannion and Fenton, they'd still find a way to put Westmeath to the sword. It's good for a team to know they can do it without marquee players too, otherwise when you lose one to injury or suspension the doubts creep in. If they can't beat Westmeath with the team they have out they wouldn't deserve to progress anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I think that is the problem. Our best forwards are v good but outside of that we really struggle for scores. We tried everyone through the league and barely coped despite being v solid in defence.

Sligo all over again so far. No intensity. Not tracking runners. Forcing passes that aren't on. And then when we have possession and players look up to play it inside, we have McDaid and D'Arcy standing in the full forward line. Been a huge struggle so far. Full back line and Shane Walsh only ones showing anything so far, Tierney the odd flash.

Scraping over the line against Westmeath seems to be a fair indication of where we're at. The Mayo and Derry wins are being put in to perspective given their performances so far in the championship. I struggle to see us getting a result against Armagh again this year, so we'll lose the weeks break and probably be gone in the first knockout round.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Armagh look strong. Hard to see a Galway win without Comer Kelly or Finnerty. Need to be scoring about 2-12 minimum I'd say to even keep pace with Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Comer and Kelly could be back but Finnerty is out for the season from all accounts. Armagh will be stronger this year and won't be missing Rian O'Neill so I'd be pessimistic enough about our chances.

Wasn't at it but sounded like Gleeson and the fullback-line, in particular Johnny McGrath, were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Most of the lads from the 17 AI win are over the hill, only the likes of Whelan and Cahal Mannion should be kept, with a few more on the bench to come on to close out matches, but, not to start. The U20s are too young, there should be more than enough players between the ages of 21 to 30 to make up the team. The team needs to be rebuilt, next year will be 8 years since 17, so can't be expecting them lads to be still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Whats Finnertys injury? Hard to understand when he didn't go down injured against Derry.

Armagh are scoring big here against Derry.

Kelly should be OK. Other two doubt it.

McGrath and Glynn phenomenal. Tierney and Shane Walsh good. Gleeson good in goals 2 from 4 from free. disappointing.

Middle 8 were shocking especially the half back line. No pace or intensity at all. No one breaking the line. Subs thankfully brought some much needed pace and directness. Sweeney making a great run for Tierney point and Molloy kicking the insurance score.

18 point mark or 2-12 as you say seems a bit high. Can say overall things were poor but defensively we don't concede big scores. I think I saw 13 points is about the average we concede.

Management need to take responsibility for the team picked. Lacked balance. And adding Hernon before throw in just added another defender to an already congested middle third. Didn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

what’s the difference in in finishing first or second in group?

Advertisement