Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

My only take from the Hurling is can we afford to leave Cathal Mannion close to goal. He's a terror close to goal...... but if enough isn't going into him he's wasted.... and while Whelan can survive on any ball Mannion wouldn't be as clinical when Galway revert to Galway ball (belt it as hard and as long as possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

He doesn't spare the whip:

https://x.com/maroonwhitepod/status/1783224754150813871

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Worthwent14

Good to hear some honesty in the media for once. Can't argue with what he said.

Other than Shane having a terrible 2023 everything else he said was more or less s***e talk..... but each to their own.

• Advertisement

Team named. Interesting to see what positions they take up. Glynn makes it to 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

You'd have to think that you'd get more out of both by swapping Concannon and Mannion. Seems odd if they end up playing as named.

Might have enough to put it up to KK but looking at that team only 3 would make it on to the Limerick first 15, Daithi, Cathal and Whelan. Add in a gameplan that so far hasn't played to our strengths and its hard to see them making strides this year.

We'll be in the market for 2 new managers by August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It's hard to know. Reason I say that is I thought Concannon was having a terrible Leinster final last year but once they brought him out around the middle in the second half him (and Galway) came to life. One swallow doesn't make a summer though, all his best games have usually been close to goal. Leinster round Robin in Kilkenny last year case and point.

Mannion experiment I'm interested in trying. I remember it first tried by Shane O Neil in his and JCs last game against Waterford. Down a cricket score they threw him in full forward and he went to town on them dragging us back into the game. Games he's played there this year in full forward has gone well.

He's our most influential hurler so the main thing he has to be as heavily involved as possible. Standing with a hurl in his arse in a full forward line with no ball (or Galway ball) is not going to work. Would maybe like to see it started and then changed depending on the ebb and flow of the game.

• Advertisement

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭MattressRick

He's dead right.

The All Ireland final performance and the All Star seem to have killed Walshs motivation in a Galway jersey. He's done it on the highest day. He doesn't need to prove himself to anyone anymore. That's the vibe since 2022 when he plays for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

not so sure….

Think he’s crowded out of it with the blanket defences of county teams.needs to move outfield a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

Think it's both things to be honest. He doesn't seem to have any drive since the All-Ireland final. However our forward play is dreadful. There is no plan to get him into space with time to take a score. There was a league game on this year where Kerry worked the ball to Clifford to score the winning point with almost the last kick of the game. No chance we could do the same. I think our defence generally holds teams well to about 12 to 14 points, but we seem incapable of getting a high score against anyone decent. A motivated Walsh would be a star, but a plan to get him into the game would help too.

Clifford had a man marking him when he got that ball. He beat him with a quick turn of pace, his accuracy and mainly the way he's able to kick the ball so high so fast, to get it over a markers arm.

Walsh has always been hot and cold when shooting at the posts but last year he was missing as many as he was scoring, even from frees. I feel that could be a case of not practising as much. Realistically how can he if he's driving down and back to Dublin for training? It cuts down on his available time for extra work. Free takers need that extra time, they've extra responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Butson

Galway have to be beating that KK team, at home, on Sunday.

No excuses.

It's a bit of a mess of a team. The 2017 team had so many settled positions. If Fintan Burke plays anywhere other than full back he'll be roasted for pace. Mannion centre back hasn't worked convincingly over the last few years. Kilkenny have competed in the last 2 All Irelands. It looks like a better balanced Kilkenny team to me. They absolutely annihilated Antrim last weekend whereas Galway conceded a hell of a lot to Carlow. I wouldn't be too confident myself.

Hes been poor for Kilmacud too. Strolling through games. Ya he'll get a couple of scores but he's a passenger most of the games. You'll get away with it at club with kilmacuds quality but not at IC in any team. I think playing for Galway is more benefit to his Instagram etc than it is interest in putting in what it takes to be in the conversation to be a top notch player. For a guy whose game relies so much on pace, there's only one way that's going. I'd rather have a Sweeney or some other less talented but gritty player in there than hoping Walsh comes good.

Joseph Cooneys game must really have fallen off a cliff if he can't make the first 15. He's been looking heavy and slow the last few times I saw him but you'd imagine he should have the reigned in at this stage.

It looks like they're packing out the FF line with a plan to drive long ball in but Hugh Lawler and Co will gobble that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sure he's commuting from Dublin? Wouldn't be surprised if he's based more locally, which is his business.

• Advertisement

Other than Johnny Glynn, Joseph Cooney was the last person to rejoin the panel. I'd imagine that's the reason he's a bit slower to reclaim his spot. Injury aside I'd expect him have his place back by the end of the round robin.

He looked trim enough when I saw him play last. He was never the paciest anyway. I'd have no fears of him starting and he's such an experienced player now that he'll get to the pitch of the game if and when subbed in.

I'd love to see us going orthodox with 3 in the FF line on Sunday. Be a great test of both lines in the opposing teams. Let Lawlor worry about who he's facing when it comes.

Depends on the ball going in. Low and in front we'd make hay. Lumped in from 70m I think we'd get cleaned out. Cooney isn't winning many aerial battles, Whelan loves low ball, Mannion doesn't want to be pulling it out of the sky either. On the ground those 3 are very dangerous though.

Poor when for Crokes? Was on the club team of the year for 23/24 and was nominated for player of the year along with Glass and O'Carroll (both Glen).

Regularly put up big scores for them including hitting the net a few times.

As I said, he was scoring but he was very lazy in his general play. Never got above a jog until he received the ball, wasn't working back. There was no way he was club player of the year. There were numerous players on his own team more worthy, not to mention from Brigids etc.

Very talented player but he's wasted alot of years where his head wasn't in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Avon8

Who was better on the Kilmacud team? Did you actually watch any of the games

He was sensational in the Leinster final, the club performance of the year along with Glass in the final. His was slightly quieter in the Dublin final but it was still his 1-2 cameo (as good a 3 scores as you'll see), that won the game. He was good against Glen also.

Walsh being silky smooth has always rubbed a certain cohort of people up the wrong way, both within and outside the county. It's now blinding people to his actual performance. I've read a number of times recently that he's only ever performed during 1 season (2022). Did these people miss 2018, 2020, 21 or something? He carried a disjointed attack on his back right throughout the covid period

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭cson

Dublin, Roscommon & Cavan for the group most likely.

Should probably be getting out of that group tbh, I'd even argue that winning the Nestor Cup lands you a harder draw with Derry & one of Donegal/Armagh.

Could depend on the luck of the draw. Derry at home would be beatable, if we were going well. Westmeath / Armagh away would be more difficult, Come down to the neutral venue match.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

The groups are a joke. 3 group games to only lose the bottom team which would probably be the lowest ranked team. We should use the final and group games to build for a quarter final or preliminary quarter final which will decide if we have had a successful season or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Correct. Wouldn't be getting to worried bout the groups…. finish third in either of the groups and could have a possible prelim 1/4 final v Tyrone or Monaghan. Its all about being ready to hit the ground running at end of group games.

Two out of each group would give much more purpose to the games

Advertisement