Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Not making the 26. Hasn't seen game time since he was roasted by Tipp in the league and whipped off after 25 mins.

Not one to "up" players that aren't playing as sometimes players get better the longer they don't play but Tiernan Killeen is a surprise to me. For a young lad that is the focal point of a good Loughrea team, is big, strong, technically good hurler and can take a score it baffles me how little time he's got. I mean are we better off with him or GMac coming back in?

Hard to work it all out sometimes......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭cosatron

Agreed some of shefflin decisions this year are baffling to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Hope I'm wrong but I'm just not feeling it for Padraig and his sideline team, anyways cmon Galway prove me wrong 🇱🇻👍👍😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Does he even attend club championship games or is he just relying on recommendations from selectors. Any manager should be attending as many senior and intermediate games as possible. Its the only way to get a feel for potential additions to any panel the following year. No excuse not to be doing it with the split season either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

The state of our kickouts this far into a managerial regime's tenure is inexcusable. Not blaming Gleeson at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He gets footage from the County Board for matches. That’s good enough in fairness to him - Managers going to matches sounds great but you only see so much in real-time.

Some of the stuff we do you'd go mental at a 16yr old club player for doing. How can your centre back even entertain the idea of a speculative shot from corner forward which had a high chance of being blocked down when you know you're exposing your defence to a counter attack.

Dropped shots the same story. We have mountains of room up front. Mayo defence is all over the shop and we're strolling forward with the ball.

Comer killing himself up front. He'll be spent or injured by 60mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

hup the tribes. A great day

Good second half. Fair play to Walsh and Tierney, both had huge impacts. Great heart to come back from a dangerous position. I wouldnt have put anything on Gleeson to get them two kicks but in fairness he had the nuts to do it when it counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Robson99

Fair play Conor Gleeson....super game from him and 2 beauties into the wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

I don't want to be negative because that was amazing and some lads really stood up. But my god our kickout strategy

We got over the line simply by having more talented players even though possession wise they were completely starved compared to Mayo

The difference in kickouts is insane. It's not even Gleeson's fault. Reape has brilliant movement always and he's a bit of balls to take the short ones on. We have zero movement whatsoever. That comes down to coaching, nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Will take the win. After yesterday we needed something to lift the spirits.

So many holes you could pick in the performance but it gives us some positive momentum going into a horrible group and a lot of players will have benefitted from the minutes. Given some of the narrow defeats to mayo in recent years it's nice to rob one especially when we were 2nd best for long stages.

I don't think Mickey Harte will be losing any sleep watching that but on the plus side Comer was a colossus, Finnerty made a big contribution and the subs worked to varying degrees. Matthew Tierney was so iimportant when we needed an outlet. Walsh showed his class on a couple of ooccasions. Fair play to Gleeson I'm not a fan but he deserves his moment.

Mayo will know they left it behind them. We need a huge improvement to even put it up to Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 laymansterms

Day off tomorrow, the sun is out and Mayo are beaten. Roll on the Summer. We are a confidence team and this win can really kick us on now.

It's like something you'd see in a kids game. Bunch up in the middle then run with little intent to the sideline before Gleeson backs up 3 steps and pumps it down the middle.

As you said, superior talent got us through that game and there are positives with the return of Comer, Walsh, Tierney and McDaid ready to come back. Another bonus in Sean Kelly playing well below par so that will improve also but it'll mean nothing when we face a good team that can press our kickouts and punish us from the turnovers.

I'm losing faith in John Daly the more I watch him, he can be so loose with possession. It won't happen but with the midfield options we have I'd like to see Sean Kelly go to CB, it'll give us his defensive capabilities while also maximising his capacity to contribute to the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great win, and even better to win it the way we did. Tbh I wasn't expecting us to win today, but in fairness when we looked in trouble the team really stepped up. Great to win Connacht, especially beating Mayo, as we haven't a notion of winning the All Ireland, but nice to have something to show for the year.

I thought John daly was much improved on the sligo game. He held the center well and got in allot of tackles and allows mchugh and silk to drive forward. Great second half of football with both teams going man for man. Great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Comer was brilliant today, he's a real leader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

Comer a machine, pray that he stays fit. Toss-up between he and Finnerty for MOTM. Panel starting to really strengthen now with options emerging. Daly better today than v. Sligo, but second match in a row he was subbed off. I reiterate what I said after that match and all last season, we need to seriously start looking at alternatives here; Silke / Sean Kelly to no. 6, O'Flaherty on the wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Fair play they proved me wrong, a lot to work on but they stuck with it,never gave up, substitutions all worked out and were made in time, a fair bit of coughed up possession and turnovers especially in the first half, Comer like a bulldozer, masterstroke to allow gleeson to take those frees, will do wonders for his confidence, though not good for the heart when he solos up the field, his solos are awkward and too high to my mind but today is for positivity, it's a great result, as Bunty said Mayo lads are Cocky and today might help dial their cockiness down a notch or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Wonder when Mike Martins next podcast will be!! The demise of Shane Walsh has been greatly exaggerated.

Driving back from Wexford this morning was rough. Felt we would need a lot to go so right to win. Didn't come to that we just hung in there long enough.

Said on this back during the league that we would go nowhere without Kelly, Walsh, Comer and McDaid fit and flying it. Only Comer is there. Kelly I give a pass. Mayo man marked him. Same with Walsh when he came on. Very hard to structure your teams defense when two players are constantly following two of the opposition.

Defensively sound. Thought Glynn and McGrath did well on Conroy and O'Donoghue. McHugh very good. D'Arcy to be fair also very good.

Stupid turnovers remain.

Hard on Molloy. Started the league campaign as a starter. Lost place. Fought back. Started today. Didn't work out. Hopefully puts head down again.

Tierney, O' Flaherty will be pushing hard to start. McDaid close. Hernon, McLaughlin available. Going to get competitive for the 26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fair **** on making both games , i felt the same about molloy , the game had hardly started before he was called ashore , i am delighted for joyce personally , he is a top manager and everything he dose is off the cuff even when his kids are strangling him to death in an interview

to be honest the referee had lost it before injury time and any team could be aggrieved its a great win for galway with all the injuries all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Great Galway win. The constant negativity on this thread is pretty hard to handle.

Now for my bit of negging. Ref Gough made it a little too much about himself... that advert seems to have gone to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mjp

Have give special mention to John Maher there today who plays like a leader on the team which says a lot for lad who only on the panel 2 years. He drove at mayo at every opportunity and two incidents stick to my mind where he came in and won free when Walsh was isolated and close to being turned over near sideline in 2nd half and we went down and got score off it and also the contentions free he won where it looked like Tommy Conroy got ball but connected with him. I doubted his pedigree when he came onto panel at first but he's shown he can mix it with the best of them at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭C__MC

What paper was annoying joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm struggling to think of a worse performance than that from the hurlers in recent memory. I think I have to go all the way back to the 2013 Leinster Final. It was hard to tell we had an extra man from the 50th minute onwards - like you'd come in cold and think Galway were the team down to 14. Just atrocious stuff and that should be the end of 'King' Henry.

There was game against waterford down in Thurles under mcintyrne where we were dog useless. 2-23 to 2-13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Great win yesterday. Was delighted to see Finnerty standing up and making a big impact. I hate seeing players at any sport looking visibly rattled or bereft of confidence so was especially delighted Gleeson won us the Nestor. I still get anxious seeing him making runs and I wish he was a bit quicker taking kickouts but he deserved that moment yesterday.

As far as the hurlers that was certainly the worst performance since the first half of the Waterford qualifier in 2021. Shefflin will no himself he has to step aside but I still think they'll reach a Leinster final. They won't beat Kilkenny though.

In fairness to Gleeson its very hard to take a quick kick out when there is no movement. Put Reape in goals for us and he wouldnt get them away either. What do people expect him to do ? kick it quickly into space ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

There was a couple of occasions when Maher came on and had 3 or 4 seconds of space while Gleeson was looking around that he never ended up trying. Now don't get me wrong, most of our kickouts are plagued by static position and lack of runners, but there's still a few times where lads like Reape are finding their men in similar scenarios to the Maher ones.

• Advertisement

Ya fair enough… but to me it doesnt look like its something worked on in the training ground

Advertisement