Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Stewball

Is Peter Cooke injured, not being selected or made himself unavailable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

Thats only hoping that bigger name players return and that will improve their lot but its ignoring the style of play which isn't evolving, doesn't show any signs of improvement or structure. Dublin could have beaten up by 20pts last week if they felt like it. If we don't have a system of play that creates space and opportunities for the players coming back them the return from them won't be much higher than what's there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The footballers have the potential to be top 3 along with Dublin and Kerry, but, our management isn't great. The league to some extent isn't hugely important, so not basing opinion solely on the league, more on the evidence of last year's championship, where we went backwards big time. Also we would need Comer, Walsh, McDaid etc to be in flying form to give us a chance; Comer and McDaid can't stay fit for any length of time and Walsh is increasingly inconsistent and unreliable.

The hurlers are back in the chasing pack, could win a Leinster or fail to get out of Leinster entirely. Limerick are ahead of everyone else, then there are 6/7 teams at a fairly similar level. The hurlers haven't really performed for a few years apart from a few good showings against Limerick, without ever really looking like beating them and not building on those performances, yet, don't seem to be able to beat Kilkenny when it matters and struggle against the other Munster sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

On the footballers, I'm going forward in hope more than expectation, my heart says stick with Padraig but my head is telling me he was promoted to manager too soon, he hasn't a brilliant team around him on the sideline and Imv it should have been shook up after last season,.... In other news Savo has his first championship game as manager tomorrow evening

• Advertisement

The u-20s for tomorrow night v Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The New Stand at Tuam Stadium today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Were still able to struggle over Cork and Tipp the past 2 years, and ran Limerick closest in 2022. They do need more consistency in midfield and the HF line though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The biggest issue is the age profile of arguably their best players imo.

D. Burke, J.Cooney, C. Cooney, P.Mannion are all guaranteed starters when fit and all the wrong side of 30.

C.Whelan saved them a few embarrassments last season with his form I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Kilkenny ran Limerick closest in 2022, they lost by 2 points in the final and had Limerick under severe pressure in injury time, Limerick were hanging on in the end and relieved to hear the final whistle. Limerick beat us by 3 points in the semi final, while we were level around the 70 minute mark, Limerick did ease away at the end and never really looked in trouble.

I wouldn't be reading too much into beating Cork(2022) and Tipp (2023), against Cork we were poor, it was a game Cork threw away with all the chances they missed, and Tipp were no great shakes last year, so while great to win those matches, they wouldn't inspire much confidence.

I would see Kilkenny as being at a similar level to Galway, yet when it has mattered in Leinster finals, we haven't being able to beat them, we always seem to find a way to lose, last year a prime example. Winning Leinster gives an easier route to the AI final, avoiding Limerick(in last few years). I'm not saying we should be beating Limerick, but, winning Leinster and getting to AI final should be a realistic goal, and it's possible someone else might upset Limerick before the final. We should be ready to take advantage of any potential upset but, we don't seem to be making progress over the last few years, again I hope I'm proven wrong come the championship.

Edit: Actually forgot that Clare ran Limerick closest in 2022, brought them to extra time in the Munster final and ran them to a point last year.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Just missing a few cows and youve got yourself a proper cattle shed

Hard to know which team is most relevant.

Silke in for Galway. Tomo back in the squad.

Kerry no Clifford's.

Derry pretty strong against Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think it looks very decent and for the sake of travelling fans it would be a damn sight better to have more football played in Tuam than in salthill.

I hope it gets made good use.

Built up a nice lead and some junior C level kick passing gave Kerry a number of platforms to counterattack and draw level. Shocking how poor the basics can be from supposedly elite players.

Relying on Derry to do us a favour now.

Three kickouts in a row lost

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jaysus we're bad, Kerry have us at arms length in 3rd gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

They're letting every Kerry forward get a nice dose of confidence before the championship. They're kicking scores comfortably. Midfielders too getting beaten up a stick.

It's very very poor for what was a must win match for the players

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Some of the hand passing too has been shocking. The decision making is junior C standard. Lads giving handpasses to teammates that are surrounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Boy Tomo.

It's very hard to see what kind of style we're trying to play here which is a bit of an indictment on PJ given how long he's been in the job.

We'll stay in D1 because the Rossies are getting hockeyed by Derry, but very hard to say we're a D1 team based on performances this year.

I don't think any of us will need to be worrying about AI tickets this year anyway.

• Advertisement

"Agus Conor Gleeson ina measc" 😊

Good ad for the quality of O'Neills gear these days with Spillane ripping Conroys jersey in half.

80 **** euro for them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Joe o connor man of the match thanking conor gleeson for floating the ball out time after time for us to attack the ball

Conroy took dogs abuse all game. Geaney could have walked twice. Spillane the same. Refs let that constant off the ball fouling go every game and it's a joke at this stage.

That should be that now for the league and Derry should be crowned champions today 🏆with the shortened IC season

Time to start the search for our next management team because PJ and Co aren't up to it. Have a decent team in place for next year. Fitzmaurice would be my pick and try to get one of the Corofin management team from the 3 in a row in alongside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Does anyone know how or injured lads are shaping up?

Comer. Walsh. Daly. Tierney. McDaid. Its some list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Bad and all as we were. We couldn't buy a free. Maher was pushed in the back on the way to goal and no free and Heaney done the exact same thing up the other end and free in. The ref was terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Joyce and Co are not at the level required first off. Joyce is a great servant but a poor intercounty manager. Don't get me wrong, they had a bad list of injuries and had to blood new players sooner than expected like O'Curraoin and O'Conghaile, but the consistent stoneage tactics haven't changed. The same slow tactic-less kickouts, the same slow counter and no real standouts at 11 and 14 unless Comer is fit for FF.

We survived by the skin of our arses but unless we've a nearly full-strength lineup we'll be looking at another disappointing championship.

I heard McDaid is not looking likely to be ready for Connacht so assuming we can bring back lads like Comer and Walsh it's probably going to be fairly predictable

1. Gleeson
    2. McGrath
    3. Fitzgerald
    4. Glynn
    5. McHugh
    6. Daly
    7. O'Flaherty/Silke
    8. Conroy
    9. Maher
    10. Heaney
    11. Tierney
    12. Sweeney
    13. Finnerty
    14. Comer
    15. Walsh

• Advertisement

Add in Sean Kelly and McDaid is it that poor a team?

Today like Dublin was worrisome. Up to now in the first five league games no matter who was missing we had some sort of aggression. Last two games we've showed nothing. Kerry did as they wished today.

Our turnovers??? I mean seriously. There is cheap and there is cheap and then there is Galway. May as well just hand the ball back to the opposition at times.

Wasn't sitting far from management today and was the first time they seemed frustrated/flabbergasted/clueless. One aspect annoyed them alot. Be interesting if they finally bite the bullet and make a change.

Advertisement