Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Is the adult club football back this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

May be one league game. Starting in earnest the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Great double header in Pearse stadium next Saturday with the hurlers game against Limerick moved form Gaelic grounds and on at 1:15 before the footballers take on Dublin 3:15. Expect a big crowd at that as rare to get an opportunity to bring the kids to see both All Ireland champions on the one day. Going to be carnage for traffic around town having them on a saturday and Paddy's weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

If Glynn is back in the fold, all it means is that shefflin isn't willing to discard with the lumping ball forward he's tried since his appointment and is hoping glynn makes it work for him. Which he won't. Glynn can be fairly well thethered at average club level never mind top level IC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Casey climbed all over him in the 18 final and not a foul given. He got battered in the 15 final. The high ball is dead gone the same as ground hurling, redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

There ll always be a place for the High ball. Ever see a fella called Aaron Gillane. He catches high balls. Id agree that Glynn has always threatened more than delivered. Mike Casey was comfortable on him in 2017..and it wasn't by fouling. I think Shefflin is abit desperate at going for a guy that hasn't played in donkeys years but Shefflin has it all to do as a manager. He's been average enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Casey's approach to dealing with opponents better in the air is to get the ball to ground and if that fails and the opponent catches the ball, is to foul the man immediately e.g. falling to the ground with his arm around the opponent's shoulder or neck so it looks like they both fell during their attempt to catch the ball. Refs seem oblivious to this of course

Not saying there isn't a place for long ball, but it shouldn't be the only tool in the toolbox which has been the case during Shefflins tenure.

Any sign of team(s) named for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

@MfMan here they are

• Advertisement

Very noticeable difference in the physique of the Dubs and ourselves. Bringing the ball in to contact meant an almost guaranteed turnover. If you're that much lighter you need to move the ball faster. Conditions were bad but couldn't see us beating the Dubs later in the year even with everyone back.

Only saw the first half of the hurling but they were moving the ball around shorter, getting the head up and delivering good ball low and in front to our forwards. A decent result given they were without Whelan and Daithi. Hopefully they continue to develop that gameplan as it suits us much more than what they were doing previously.

Bad news. Second half much worse. Forwards lost their way, turning over too much possession. Was there to be won and hadn't the nous to pull it off. League has been so near and yet so far for Shefflin. Still a few positions up for grabs, particularly midfield.

I was wondering would they revert to type. Probably half time advice...

Should really have put them away playing with an extra man for 40mins+.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The hurling was awful I thought.

Limerick were a man down since the 25th minute and I though Galway in the 2nd half was the worst I've seen them in a long time

As I said, didn't see the 2nd half, but the first half had alot of positives given how poor the weather was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Agree with the hurling.

Weather = shite

Pitch = shite

Atmosphere = shite

Hurlers started well. As Threeball mentioned they played the modern game in the first half. Biggest reason why this succeeded was Cathal Mannion. Lad is one of the best stick men in the country. Put ourselves in a great position at half time. 3 up and a man up.

First 12 minutes of the second half was inexcusable. Simply a team that thought no matter what happened being a man up they would win. Stupid wide after stupid wide. Inability to pick a ball or forcing it in stupid positions. Missing frees. Giving away stupid frees that allowed Byrne keep them in the game.

Positives: defensively OK. Fintan passed his first big test at full back marking Gillane. Passed the ball ok for the most part. Cathal Mannion.

Negatives: Second half. All of it.

Footballers. Shocking. Worst I've seen in a long time. No bite. Let Dublin do as they wished. Time and again turned the ball over stupidly.

Positives Fitz did ok on O' Callaghan for long periods. Maher brought the fight all day. O' Curraoin in patches. McGrath, D'Arcy ok. Conroy and Glynn got minutes. E Kelly did an ok man marking job on Kilkenny.

Negatives. Sean Kelly didn't take part. Along with Finnerty. Makes it: Walsh, Comer, McDaid, Tierney, S. Kelly, Finnerty, Silke on the bench (unused) might be missing some but the list isn't getting any shorter.

The footballers are going to be a victim of scheduling with a high probability of getting relegated next week. Roscommon go to Derry who will have one eye on the ulster championship, Tyrone play Dublin and Farrell already stated he plans to rest numerous players and get game time in to others. Galway end up in Kerry who are only dying for meaningful games as they won't play another for 2 months.

It's high time the league dispensed with finals and just gave the title to the leading team. It would avoid all the shadow boxing and open up some space between the 2 competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Cathal Mannion is our best player, I saw them a few weeks ago and without him they're a pale comparison.

Fingers crossed he stays fit, without him there's no hope of any success this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We are going nowhere in both codes, provincial success is the best we can hope for in both, and wouldn't be confident of that. The footballers will be relegated, which might be a blessing next year as I'd say we'll more than likely have a new manager, so will give him time and opportunity to build the team back up and implement his style of play. The hurlers have a decent chance in Leinster, but, can't see them or anyone beating Limerick in the All Ireland series. Also likely to be a new manager next year, well should be anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

Will we try and contact Paul Bellew and tell him to withdrew both teams as they aren't playing there best ball in the middle of march on a horrible pitch with terrible conditions. We have seen glimpses of the potential of both teams is that hope enough that we can put it all together in the summer instead of over reacting in March.

I think you're only fooling yourself if you think either of these teams have a chance of winning an AI. We have the worst management of any of the top tier teams in both codes. Any team with a realistic chance is normally showing some form come the business end of the league.

Dublin beat us out the gate pulling up. The hurlers can't even deliver a Leinster playing Shefflins tactics never mind beat the best team of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Don't be so over dramatic, just giving my honest opinion of where both teams are, we're all entitled to that. Going on the evidence shown, not only in this league campaign, but, also last year's championship showings; The footballers are well off the level required to beat the likes of Dublin or Kerry in the championship and the hurlers have flattered to deceive over the last few years. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, but, until I see otherwise I won't get my hopes up, we can agree to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rossie4ever

I don't think ye need to worry about relegation. Can't see us beating Derry at all. We are very poor at the minute. I take it ye will have your injured players back in time for the championship?

I wouldnt bank on anything the last weekend of the league, some teams fighting for survival, others maybe not too arsed. You can get some really odd results.

Apart from Comer, McDaid and Silke I can't see the others missing bringing alot to the table even if available. Walsh is phoning it in, slows the game to a crawl when he gets possession, Tierney is hit and miss. And Comer and McDaid are as likely to be gone through injury as quick as they come back. If management had any sense they'd wrap them 2 up in cotton wool until the connaught championship is over and we're in to knockout football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jesus the negativity on here is unbelievable . Most counties will never win an all Ireland . We are in the top 5 or 6 in both codes . Limerick and Dublin will prob win both again . But at least let us have hope !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

We comment honestly on what we see in front of us after every game and the state of play in general , the curve on the graph doesn't seem to be an upward one in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ah ya I agree with that . But I don’t think it’s as bleak as others make it either . I don’t think we will win an all Ireland in either code but I’m hopeful we will be in the latter stages of both. I would be hopeful for provincial success for both . Time will tell I guess .,

I never said they were going to win all irelands. But they are better then what they have shown in the league and I'm not going giving up on them in march.

• Advertisement

how can you form an opinion that we are going to have a poor championship when you're missing at least 8 first teamers on the football team and hurlers are bedding in a new center back and full back with a new coach to boot. I don't understand this logic, in 2012, we went to a relegation playoff against dublin and ended up in the all ireland final.

Advertisement