Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

give it a rest gilberto . you have some good points and galway could be a little more adventerous at times but people are fed up of your constant whining. considering all the players there missing to have 6 points on the board is very good . the pressure is off a bit now and come championship time if all players are fit theres going to be some fight for starting spots . that has to bode well hopefully for a decent summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Galway scored more in second half than Mayo did in first half who were playing against thirteen for nine minutes. That’s Mayo who have an excellent manager according to you.

That ‘fella’ has two all Ireland medals in his pockets, Connacht titles with Sligo and Galway, who were getting beat by twenty points plus in Connacht when he took over. But sure he hasn’t a clue about football.

Walsh didn't win Connacht title with Sligo. Tommy Breheny was manager when they won Connacht in 2007. Sligo lost to Roscommon in Connacht final in 2010 when Walsh was in charge. He is doing great job with Galway and if he can tweak tactics they will be contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Well said spurshero.it has the makings of an exciting summer please god.that whole panel of players should be chomping at the bit.great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

spurshero wrote: »
    give it a rest gilberto . you have some good points and galway could be a little more adventerous at times but people are fed up of your constant whining. considering all the players there missing to have 6 points on the board is very good . the pressure is off a bit now and come championship time if all players are fit theres going to be some fight for starting spots . that has to bode well hopefully for a decent summer.

Now that we're safe I want to see us leave 3 to 4 up at all times in the next two games and make sure we get out of defence at pace. Theres two decent games against very different opposition to see what works and what doesn't. We were very dangerous tonight when we went at pace. I think we could do some serious damage going that bit more offensive. It will also take pressure off our kickout as they cant commit as many to the press in case we retain possession.

If they do that I think it could change the course of their season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

O'Laoi had a tremendous game. Danny Cummins is far from finished also. I was worried about our depth after Walsh, Comer and Burke but they, along with Brannigan and McHugh are all solid options for an inside line

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    O'Laoi had a tremendous game. Danny Cummins is far from finished also. I was worried about our depth after Walsh, Comer and Burke but they, along with Brannigan and McHugh are all solid options for an inside line

The power of Comer alongside the slickness of Burke and O Laoi is exciting. Might be a year too early for O Laoi though, but as you said, soild options all round. When you have Heaney, Brannigan, Molloy, Sean Andy and either Cooke or Duggan to transition out of defence we have serious power and pace to come forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hard to take negatives from that. Thought the guts shown in the last 10 minutes is what we'd moaned about the lack of for the last 15 years.

That wind was no joke and for all the criticism of Kevin's style it certainly worked tonight.

Some of the points scored in the first half were worth admission alone.

The list of missing players makes tonight's win all the more impressive. Danny Cummins could be huge for us in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Not sure KW is too keen to play mchugh any more. Thought Brannigan looked way off pace tonight.
    O'Laoi certainly deserves to retain his place. The other o'laoi didn't do great tonight. Cunningham probably should be a little annoyed he wasn't on before him as he's done well so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Not sure KW is too keen to play mchugh any more. Thought Brannigan looked way off pace tonight.
    O'Laoi certainly deserves to retain his place. The other o'laoi didn't do great tonight. Cunningham probably should be a little annoyed he wasn't on before him as he's done well so far this year.

Bit harsh on Brannigan. His first day back.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Brannigan. His first day back.

Oh yeah I know that. Hopefully he'll be up to speed by summer and rustiness is batural. Very good player.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I know that. Hopefully he'll be up to speed by summer and rustiness is batural. Very good player.

Yup. Hoping for great things...:)

Also you spot on re Cunningham. He deserved a bit of a go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    Now that we're safe I want to see us leave 3 to 4 up at all times in the next two games and make sure we get out of defence at pace. Theres two decent games against very different opposition to see what works and what doesn't. We were very dangerous tonight when we went at pace. I think we could do some serious damage going that bit more offensive. It will also take pressure off our kickout as they cant commit as many to the press in case we retain possession.

If they do that I think it could change the course of their season.

Exactly. Tonight was *by far* the best performance of the league, and in no way excuses the earlier displays or lack of attacking ambitions. Sure, we got lucky; when the game was in the melting pot, Mayo struck the post from a free and had a few bad wides straight after. We regrouped and a rather uncharacteristic bit of hard work from Shane Walsh won us a converted free which turned things in our way again. An excellent win and it shows what can be achieved by being a bit more adventurous in attack and willing to press forwards earlier. The subs introduced could have cost us the game; Brannigan for the rather very good Cummins didn't work as all he did was foul. Bradshaw did SFA too as far as I could see, and how Duggan was left on was a mystery.

This victory in no way vindicates KW's tactics; rather, it shows what Galway football can aspire to when let off the leash a bit more. As much as Kerry's win last Sunday was just about deserved, tonight's win was just about the correct result. I'm not at all being churlish, I just want to see much more of what I saw tonight. Then, the crowd would really get behind the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

MfMan wrote: »
    Exactly. Tonight was *by far* the best performance of the league, and in no way excuses the earlier displays or lack of attacking ambitions. Sure, we got lucky; when the game was in the melting pot, Mayo struck the post from a free and had a few bad wides straight after. We regrouped and a rather uncharacteristic bit of hard work from Shane Walsh won us a converted free which turned things in our way again. An excellent win and it shows what can be achieved by being a bit more adventurous in attack and willing to press forwards earlier. The subs introduced could have cost us the game; Brannigan for the rather very good Cummins didn't work as all he did was foul. Bradshaw did SFA too as far as I could see, and how Duggan was left on was a mystery.

This victory in no way vindicates KW's tactics; rather, it shows what Galway football can aspire to when let off the leash a bit more. As much as Kerry's win last Sunday was just about deserved, tonight's win was just about the correct result. I'm not at all being churlish, I just want to see much more of what I saw tonight. Then, the crowd would really get behind the team.

Duggan MOTM on GBFM.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Duggan MOTM on GBFM.

I find it hard to understand that tbh. There were some much more worthy candidates. I thought he did ok last night. However, his place is probably a little under threat as overall, he's had an extremely mediocre league campaign.

I find it hard to understand that tbh. There were some much more worthy candidates. I thought he did ok last night. However, his place is probably a little under threat as overall, he's had an extremely mediocre league campaign.

Wasn't MOTM but deserved to stay on. Did a lot of the unseen donkey work. Had one moment where mayo caught us on a dangerous turnover and he chased hard to eventually put an end to that attack. That was after running 50m to be a support runner going forward. We need lads like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Yeah I more meant Brannigan given his overall ability rather than his form last night given his injury. Agree on McHugh, he's a great asset but Kevin probably doesn't like his lack of pace for a championship side. I don't think there's any room in the forwards past the Daly, Walsh , Comer Burke quintet, especially with loads of options for working half forwards. Happy to have O'Laoi, Cummins, Brannigan etc there though to play the Armstrong and Varley roles from last year. There's a ridiculous amount of depth in the county at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Couple of thoughts from last night:

-The first half showed the damage this team could do if they get the ball up the pitch quicker. Some great point scoring.
    -Great character shown to dig out the win when all the momentum had shifted to Mayo.
    -John Daly and O'Laoi look two very useful additions to the squad.
    -Can't remember the last time I saw a Mayo crowd so negative/pessimistic after a game. Heard a few comments along the lines of "it's only the league" but generally very downbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hurling off. F**king crazy calling a game off this late. Anything fun to do in Carrick on Suir?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Hurling off. F**king crazy calling a game off this late. Anything fun to do in Carrick on Suir?

This is the same ****e that went on last year with the Wexford game below in Wexford park.

Considering the distance between Galway and Waterford (or Wexford), would it not be a good idea to make the 'final call' on these matching at 10 or so in the morning.

I'd be saying the same thing if either of them counties had to travel to pearse stadium.

• Advertisement

Least it might get TV coverage next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah get out of there as fast as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Cork/Tipp off also. I'd say whole league final stages schedule will be put back a week.

MfMan wrote: »
    Cork/Tipp off also. I'd say whole league final stages schedule will be put back a week.

Have they crammed it all in like last year or is there weeks to spare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Raging they left it so late to call off. Was already nearly there ffs.

Roscommon showing why we must commit men forward. Causing Dublin all sorts of problems at the moment by taking them on. Great to see and glad for Anthony Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

It was a ridiculously late decision.. sorry for all those that travelled down.a long way to come just to look at a pitch. our first home game in walsh park , and it was one I was really looking forward to.
    Gaa really need to be taking supporters in to account.. they should have made the call last night.. to give people a chance, And for those that stayed over night, would've given them the whole day to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Match officially fixed for next Sunday. Isn't it a weeks rest now for the footballers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

macslash wrote: »
    Match officially fixed for next Sunday. Isn't it a weeks rest now for the footballers?

Ya . Footballers play Roscommon sat week . Not sure where I think Pearsestadium

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

macslash wrote: »

Looks like sunday could be a wash out

Will be a right mess for clubs in April if there's more postponements

Advertisement