Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I says wrote:
    Canning is some player with the way the game is going, he is probably the last of the modern greats, he has it all enjoy while we can because we will never see his like again.

Have to agree thought he was as good today as I've ever seen him. Work rate was phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Have to agree thought he was as good today as I've ever seen him. Work rate was phenomenal.

Yeah really getting stuck was all over the pitch unlucky not to score the last goal as he had done all the hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

Great to see the depth developing in the panel. Both county teams now have serious options. Chins goal was disappointing as we had 3 on 1 when the ball was almost clear but everyone shirked responsibility and the wexford player came away with it.
    But considering we have Daithi, the Burkes, joe Cooney, j glynn and one or two others to return we're in a good place.

Masterclass by Canning.

His free taking in his younger years was phenomenal but fell off a bit about 5/6 years ago, he's got it back to those earlier years again since last season.

He's deceptively quick too despite looking like he has a slow stride.

All he was missing today was a goal.

Without his first half effort we wouldn't have won as the performance was awful for the first 35.

Hopefully that second half effort is the standard mark going forward as while we have the best set of players, we're not that far ahead that we can coast through games as we saw enough last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

threeball wrote: »
    Great to see the depth developing in the panel. Both county teams now have serious options. Chins goal was disappointing as we had 3 on 1 when the ball was almost clear but everyone shirked responsibility and the wexford player came away with it.
    But considering we have Daithi, the Burkes, joe Cooney, j glynn and one or two others to return we're in a good place.
    Is joe cooney coming back

• Advertisement

Despite the scoreline some very poor shooting/decision making by Galway. Should be out of sight. Breeze is strong enough to bring them back into it.

That's a ridiculously harsh penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

That's a ridiculously harsh penalty

Was it for a foot block ?

Was it for a foot block ?

Ya. Seems harsh on a goalie. He jumped out and made himself big. Hard to say he led with his feet from the stand. Shane Walsh takes savage punishment from opposition teams.

Ya. Seems harsh on a goalie. He jumped out and made himself big. Hard to say he led with his feet from the stand. Shane Walsh takes savage punishment from opposition teams.

Yeah, didn't look like a foot block to me but I was at back of stand didn't have a great view. Also, couldn't understand how walsh being pulled down was not a black card. It looked like a cynical pull down to me. The later black card looked like reckless play rather than cynical and I thought a yellow would be more appropriate for that.

In any case, 8 points is a very good return for Galway with all their absentees

• Advertisement

The chance to go 2nd tonight with the Mayo result, although the Dublin result was the only reason we had a chance in the first place. Kind of a pity we're unlikely to make it as we would have a real chance at our first silverware.
    The Hurlers might be better bowing out at this stage as they've achieved what they needed to and have a tough Leinster campaign ahead.

Galway beat Tyrone and are in a League Final. Fair to say whether it happens or not if we were offered this scenario at the start of the league we would of taken it big time.

Galway beat Tyrone and are in a League Final. Fair to say whether it happens or not if we were offered this scenario at the start of the league we would of taken it big time.

Mayo are ahead of us right now. Do we go through on head to head because our points difference is worse

threeball wrote:
    Mayo are ahead of us right now. Do we go through on head to head because our points difference is worse

Head to head if it's two on the same points. Scoring difference if it's three on the same. Kerry would need to lose for that to happen. So you'd imagine if we beat Tyrone we're in a League final.

Head to head if it's two on the same points. Scoring difference if it's three on the same. Kerry would need to lose for that to happen. So you'd imagine if we beat Tyrone we're in a League final.

Tough ask in omagh. At least there's a chance. Reckon we could take Kerry if we went at them

GBFM gave man of match to Michael Daly. Did I miss something here? Surely Walsh should've got it. Thought Daly was fairly average today. John Daly was excellent though and deserves to be retained at 6.

Best of luck to both teams tomorrow in Croke Park. Be great to see two cups coming back to Galway #winforEanna

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Was surprised today at the amount of our supporters that fecked off after the hurling game. Wtf is that about? I know football can be boring and I know it was cold but we support both teams. Right?

gammygils wrote: »
    Was surprised today at the amount of our supporters that fecked off after the hurling game. Wtf is that about? I know football can be boring and I know it was cold but we support both teams. Right?

Maybe to watch the Rugby... or beat the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Didn't the same thing happen earlier on in the year when the hurlers played laois and the footballers played cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭vid36

RMAOK wrote: »
    Didn't the same thing happen earlier on in the year when the hurlers played laois and the footballers played cavan.

There are some fans who just follow hurling, especially in the south of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

GBFM gave man of match to Michael Daly. Did I miss something here? Surely Walsh should've got it. Thought Daly was fairly average today. John Daly was excellent though and deserves to be retained at 6.

No, Michael Daly was better than Walsh. Very good in the first half in particular. Scored a good point and played with his head up, picking out passes when they were on. A slight lack of pace is a little worry but he, naturally (or genetically), is a good player. Shane Walsh has huge talent but can be very headless and selfish so often. Got a lot of rough stuff from Roscommon today though, which should have been punished more severely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

It's a long day out. A lot of hurling people I know in Galway could not give a toss about football. It's gone awful to watch too

I would love Galway to win in tyrone and to beat Kerry and win a league championship . Ok it would hopefully make for a long season but I think the confidence it would bring would outweigh that espicially now we have a bigger panel . It’s funny just after looking at Mayo page there and some posters are saying they hope they don’t make final . Jesus ya would think they were the team going for 5 in a row that they can pass up chance of national success so easy .

Also while I’m at it I’m in Dublin on way to Croker and best of luck to st Thomas and corofin today . Very little hype on here about it maybe we’re getting too spoilt ! What other counties would do to have one club representing them today not 2 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

spurshero wrote: »
    Also while I’m at it I’m in Dublin on way to Croker and best of luck to st Thomas and corofin today . Very little hype on here about it maybe we’re getting too spoilt ! What other counties would do to have one club representing them today not 2 !

I suppose people are used to Corofin now, and not many giving Thomas's a realistic chance

If Toms get their match ups right I think they'll give it a right go

Corofin are a real big game team too, I fancy them to do the business

spurshero wrote: »
    It’s funny just after looking at Mayo page there and some posters are saying they hope they don’t make final . Jesus ya would think they were the team going for 5 in a row that they can pass up chance of national success so easy .

The age profile of that mayo squad (and in particular their main players) is pretty high. Moran, Boyle, Barrett (I think), mcloughlin, Clarke, Higgins are over the 30 mark with a lot of miles on the clock. The last thing they'd need is more matches. Our squad has a lot more young lads who would benefit from a league final (and hopefully a win) to help in their development.

RMAOK wrote: »
    The age profile of that mayo squad (and in particular their main players) is pretty high. Moran, Boyle, Barrett (I think), mcloughlin, Clarke, Higgins are over the 30 mark with a lot of miles on the clock. The last thing they'd need is more matches. Our squad has a lot more young lads who would benefit from a league final (and hopefully a win) to help in their development.

Your talking about 1 extra match and the chance to win a national title . I understand they have older panel and in fairness they have been great players and servants .But I don’t think any of them players have ever won a league ?? So why not go for it

spurshero wrote:
    I would love Galway to win in tyrone and to beat Kerry and win a league championship . Ok it would hopefully make for a long season but I think the confidence it would bring would outweigh that espicially now we have a bigger panel . It’s funny just after looking at Mayo page there and some posters are saying they hope they don’t make final . Jesus ya would think they were the team going for 5 in a row that they can pass up chance of national success so easy .

Think a League final would be brilliant for Galway for a number of reasons.

1) unlike like last year when it's felt we burned out come the latter stages of the Championship we are potentially not playing a lot of starters due to club/injuries.

2) final would mean we will have the Corofin lads back and fully sober. I know they have the Tyrone game but they should be fully primed for a League final.

3) players currently playing are putting massive pressure on lads coming back to fight for their position. O Laoi, Cummins, John Daly, Wynne all fighting hard to keep their position. Competition for places is what makes a squad better.

4) winning a national title is winning a national it gives confidence. I still think this team lacks a bit of it against Dublin. Players seem to believe they can compete against everyone else but have melted against Dublin. A last bit of conviction is needed.

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    I suppose people are used to Corofin now, and not many giving Thomas's a realistic chance

If Toms get their match ups right I think they'll give it a right go

Corofin are a real big game team too, I fancy them to do the business

Of the two Galway teams in the finals today, I think corofin have the better chance of winning tbh. Crokes play a similar brand of football yo corofin so they'll match corofin well, but if corofin get off to their usually fast start, I feel crokes would do well to reign then in. Corofin are experts at protecting a lead.

Thomas's will have it more difficult, I feel. Ballyhale have a very strong, if somewhat immobile, spine to their team. Michael fennelly, while a great hurler, is very static these days (not surprising given the mileage on the clock and the injuries he has had). Thomas's defense will have to be disciplined as tj Reid will knock over points from frees all day long. Conor Cooney has to go into 14 imo - he was completely lost in the semi final against cushendall when he went out the middle of the field. If Thomas's run at the ballyhale defense they are in with a great chance, but they'll need to start well as I don't see them clawing back a lead on the shamrocks.

Advertisement