Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Final score from tullamore: Galway 2-20 Offaly 0-14

Sounded like Flynn had a good day on the frees.

The footballers are having it tough against Kerry - they're down by 5 at halftime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

RMAOK wrote:
    The footballers are having it tough against Kerry - they're down by 5 at halftime

Massively frustrating performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just back from Tullamore. Flynn looked a different animal when he was on frees. Very few were easy but he was slotting ones inside our own 65 against the breeze with ease. He was head and shoulders above all else.

Thought Morrissey and Kilduff were excellent too. The latter gets involved in all the rough stuff Loftus won't go near.

Big issue is definitely the puckout strategy. It's not all on Skehill. Lads weren't trying their hole to move around for space. Hitting and hoping into a double-marked Whelo not good enough.

Was a bit disappointed in Kevin Cooney and O'Meara tbh as I thought this is as good a chance they'll get this year without the fringe lads playing colleges this weekend. O'Meara is a fierce selfish player and was taking too much out of the ball all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Just watching the match on TG4, we deserved something out of it and as good as threw it away when we got the lead with minutes to go, kerins is a liability with the way he carries on and the amount of possession he loses. He's shouldn't be an automatic choice for corner back, he'll cost us more than he offers us.

Footballers games would drive you to depression.

If the man had any integrity he'd walk at the end of the year.

No kick out, defence, transition or attacking plan.

When your back 6 are constantly on the ball you know there's something wrong.

Everything wrong with us summed up in injury time, a back trying to make a play gets turned over and because we have no kick out strategy Kerry win the next two to seal the game. And then with time up Heaney kicks a point.

Clueless in all aspects of tactics and game management.

The fact we're competitive is a testament to the players as the coaching is non existent.

County board need sacking giving that man 5 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

Footballers games would drive you to depression.

If the man had any integrity he'd walk at the end of the year.

No kick out, defence, transition or attacking plan.

When your back 6 are constantly on the ball you know there's something wrong.

Everything wrong with us summed up in injury time, a back trying to make a play gets turned over and because we have no kick out strategy Kerry win the next two to seal the game. And then with time up Heaney kicks a point.

Clueless in all aspects of tactics and game management.

The fact we're competitive is a testament to the players as the coaching is non existent.

County board need sacking giving that man 5 seasons.

At this point it must give you pleasure to see us lose just so you can feel as if your point is proven. You seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against Kevin Walsh. At least give him a chance to get the full team back together. Your negativity is bordering on psychotic at this point

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    At this point it must give you pleasure to see us lose just so you can feel as if your point is proven. You seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against Kevin Walsh. At least give him a chance to get the full team back together. Your negativity is bordering on psychotic at this point

Personal?

No, he's just a brutal manager. He shouldn't have been in the job this long.

The personal won't make a blind bit of difference as the template is the same and the same players playing right now will be on the ball as much as they are now(GoD, Sean Andy, Kerin, Bradshaw, Flynn, Duggan).

We scored three points in 35 minutes and nothing with an extra man.

Why would I want us to lose?... I'd just rather we had a proper manager instead of wasting years away with this painful drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

LoveMeSexy wrote: »

Most negative posts ever come from that person . Everybody ignores them . You should do likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Does Jim Gavin regularly naming dummy teams also show fear?

Walsh wasn't naming any team at all in last year's league until the players were about to take the field. No team was released to the media in the days beforehand. So that's what I'm on about. And no Jim Gavin never bothered with that level of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

Why is it that posters on here can see what we're doing wrong, the Sunday game panel can see what we're doing wrong, the dogs on the street know where we're going wrong but our management team either can't see it or are in complete denial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

threeball wrote: »
    Why is it that posters on here can see what we're doing wrong, the Sunday game panel can see what we're doing wrong, the dogs on the street know where we're going wrong but our management team either can't see it or are in complete denial.

'There are none so blind as those that will not see'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

As a Mayo fan, im not having a go at Galway here and id love the big games to be back in Tuam but wtf is this about? Blessing the dressing rooms, i mean come on....
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=967581203441215 Considering what went on down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tellyium

I was a bit annoyed listening to O’Rourke beating the negative Galway drum earlier. But I’m kinda wondering if they have a point now. It’s great to be competing again and I’ve been happy enough the last couple of years, but that was so frustrating to watch today. No cohesive attacking play and no sense that we’ll take off the shackles with a full pick. No offence Gilberto, I’ve always thought you just didn’t rate Walsh, but I can kinda see where you’re coming from. At this stage we need to be showing signs that we can rattle Dublin, but there is no sign of us taking the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

As a Mayo fan, im not having a go at Galway here and id love the big games to be back in Tuam but wtf is this about? Blessing the dressing rooms, i mean come on....

Considering what went on down the road

It's just in case the Mayo curse is contagious, cant take risks that it could spread and we too suffer a generation of misery with no end in sight. Why o why did ye pass out that funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MfMan

spurshero wrote: »
    Most negative posts ever come from that person . Everybody ignores them . You should do likewise

To be fair to Gilberto, he's echoing the frustration felt by an awful lot of fans. Watching Galway matches has become a real chore; had it been in Salthill yesterday and not Tuam, I would have gone to Tullamore instead, despite the hurling being largely uncompetitive. We seem to be failing at the same point and in the same way every year. Beating Mayo and winning Connacht should not (any longer) be seen as a benchmark; we are Galway, these things should come as standard. All our final c'ship games under KW have been big beatings, the Tipperary one in particular was unforgivable. Tactically, we are still adrift and still have the same persistent problems in most lines of the field, half-backs and midfield in particular.

Kerry are an example of what Galway should be trying to become. Under a new manager, and probably in the process of building a new team and squad, they are unbeaten in Div. 1, and 2 weeks ago, had a right go against Dublin, took the game to them and won. Something like that would be unthinkable under KW. It's not as if we don't have the players; we have been very competitive at underage the past number of seasons, our players are performing well in third level competitions and we have one of the best clubs in the country at present. There just can't be any excuses or kicking the can down the road any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Walsh wasn't naming any team at all in last year's league until the players were about to take the field. No team was released to the media in the days beforehand. So that's what I'm on about. And no Jim Gavin never bothered with that level of crap.

Yes he was. He submitted basically the same team every week and changed it prior. They have to submit the team to the programme on Wednesdays. The panel had 18 injuries as of a few weeks ago. How we can expect him to know his team on a Wednesday. Jim Gavin has done this more than any manager in the GAA. He made 4 changes minutes before an All Ireland final for crying out loud

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I don't like the way Galway play but Walsh can still point to his record and say Galway are improving each year. People will argue that he has a better caliber of players available to him now and say that's why the team has improved but during Walsh's reign Galway have gone from a team flirting with Division 3 football and being little more than a walk over for Mayo in the championship to the 4th or 5th best team in the country. When his system has worked so far it's not hard to see why Walsh is sticking to it.

I hope we see the game plan evolving this summer though. People can see the potential in the team and there'll be no shortage of managers wanting the job if Walsh does walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Is there any chance of Ian Burke actually being available Saturday? Galway still need a win to assure survival now and obviously his inclusion would be a huge help. Given its 15 days out from the AI final its not all that much of a risk. Easy to say for a non-Corofin person though I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    Is there any chance of Ian Burke actually being available Saturday? Galway still need a win to assure survival now and obviously his inclusion would be a huge help. Given its 15 days out from the AI final its not all that much of a risk. Easy to say for a non-Corofin person though I guess!

I'd be shocked to see that happening.

Then again, I was surprised to see Molloy & Silke involved yesterday.

I suspect Cunningham might start at 13 on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Have a feeling staying up will come down to the Galway v Roscommon game. As terrible as they were against Dublin, I think Mayo will beat Galway next Saturday as they badly need a win against us so will go all out with their strongest available team and in the league the team that wants the win more usually ends up winning. I wouldn't fancy having to go to Tyrone on the last day needing a win so Galway v Roscommon is looking like it could be the key fixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'd say there's very little chance of any of the Corofin lads playing against Mayo.

The match against Roscommon will decide their relegation fate. In theory Galway still have a chance of making a league final but it'd require Tyrone to take something off Dublin in Croke Park. Can't see that happening so don't see much point in risking Corofin lads getting hurt against Mayo.

grbear wrote: »
    I don't like the way Galway play but Walsh can still point to his record and say Galway are improving each year. People will argue that he has a better caliber of players available to him now and say that's why the team has improved but during Walsh's reign Galway have gone from a team flirting with Division 3 football and being little more than a walk over for Mayo in the championship to the 4th or 5th best team in the country. When his system has worked so far it's not hard to see why Walsh is sticking to it.

I hope we see the game plan evolving this summer though. People can see the potential in the team and there'll be no shortage of managers wanting the job if Walsh does walk away.

Teams don't evolve in the summer, it takes far more time to change a system of play so what you see now is what you're going to get. Expect another appearance in the Super 8's and maybe a semi depending on the draw but it won't be any different than last year.

Have a feeling staying up will come down to the Galway v Roscommon game. As terrible as they were against Dublin, I think Mayo will beat Galway next Saturday as they badly need a win against us so will go all out with their strongest available team and in the league the team that wants the win more usually ends up winning. I wouldn't fancy having to go to Tyrone on the last day needing a win so Galway v Roscommon is looking like it could be the key fixture.

One point from the remaining 3 games should be enough. You'd imagine they could manage that. Monaghan are in deep doodoo. Cavan probably won't win another, Tyrone not hectic either and roscommon on the slide. Wouldn't be like us not to make it hard on ourselves though so I think your final day assessment is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Galway are well capable of winning in Castlebar next sat . Jesus why are people writing it off . We’ve beat them last 4 or 5 times . Even with the players missing I think we have every chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

spurshero wrote: »
    Galway are well capable of winning in Castlebar next sat . Jesus why are people writing it off . We’ve beat them last 4 or 5 times . Even with the players missing I think we have every chance .

Can definitely win there alright. Galway have never been scared of going to Castlebar. I think Mayo will really be up for this one though. 6 games without a win against Galway stretching back to 2015 and they will be eager to make up for the Dublin hiding. Galway will be missing more players than Mayo will be. Just have a feeling they badly want a win against us so the hunger advantage may be in their favour.

I'm not expecting a great match however. Forecast is for lots of rain next weekend so this will be a dour low scoring affair I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Teams don't evolve in the summer, it takes far more time to change a system of play so what you see now is what you're going to get. Expect another appearance in the Super 8's and maybe a semi depending on the draw but it won't be any different than last year.

I fear you might be right, but still hope there will be some visible development in 2019.

I'm not a blind supporter of Kevin Walsh, and have some real concerns about the way Galway are setting up to play this year so far, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and get fully behind the Galway management and team for another year; I think they've probably earned that by improving results year-on-year so far. If there isn't further improvement this year I think his time is done, though. The amount of injuries right now is a tough break, but we need to see something more this year beyond Galway being second-tier competitive. There's serious talent in Galway at the moment; it'd be a real shame if we blew it.

It isn't asking for too much to move past waiting for Shane Walsh inspiration to make us win, and setting up everyone else to try and make us not lose.

elefant wrote: »
    I fear you might be right, but still hope there will be some visible development in 2019.

I'm not a blind supporter of Kevin Walsh, and have some real concerns about the way Galway are setting up to play this year so far, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and get fully behind the Galway management and team for another year; I think they've probably earned that by improving results year-on-year so far. If there isn't further improvement this year I think his time is done, though. The amount of injuries right now is a tough break, but we need to see something more this year beyond Galway being second-tier competitive. There's serious talent in Galway at the moment; it'd be a real shame if we blew it.

It isn't asking for too much to move past waiting for Shane Walsh inspiration to make us win, and setting up everyone else to try and make us not lose.

Its not really asking alot to add attacking pace to the game especially with the personnel at our disposal. This year we have, Silke, Molloy, Duane is playing out of his skin, Wall. We have the lads to get the ball forward quick and we have lads up front that thrive on quick ball. Surely, you just go for it and see where it brings you. We are barely surviving in the league with the way we play, how does anyone think the All ireland will be different. There isn't a hope we win an all ireland with our current system so why stick with it. How does it serve Galway or Kevin Walsh himself. If Kevin O Brien was managing us I think we'd be odds on to reach the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Its not really asking alot to add attacking pace to the game especially with the personnel at our disposal. This year we have, Silke, Molloy, Duane is playing out of his skin, Wall. We have the lads to get the ball forward quick and we have lads up front that thrive on quick ball. Surely, you just go for it and see where it brings you. We are barely surviving in the league with the way we play, how does anyone think the All ireland will be different. There isn't a hope we win an all ireland with our current system so why stick with it. How does it serve Galway or Kevin Walsh himself. If Kevin O Brien was managing us I think we'd be odds on to reach the final.

I'm in agreement on pretty much all of this. I'm hoping there's a plan to move beyond what we're doing currently, and I'll get behind them this season with this hope in mind. If things don't change, I think we've inarguably reached the end for KW with this group.

Quite a few of the players looked like they were lacking a lot of sharpness skill-wise at the weekend. Seán Andy, Kerin, Heaney, MDaly, Kelly were all players who made very basic errors and were sloppy in possession. I'd be hopeful we're still building towards the pitch required for championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Can definitely win there alright. Galway have never been scared of going to Castlebar. I think Mayo will really be up for this one though. 6 games without a win against Galway stretching back to 2015 and they will be eager to make up for the Dublin hiding. Galway will be missing more players than Mayo will be. Just have a feeling they badly want a win against us so the hunger advantage may be in their favour.

I'm not expecting a great match however. Forecast is for lots of rain next weekend so this will be a dour low scoring affair I imagine.

Agreed. They'll want the game like blood after the last 5 games, we're missing half a panel and they'll be at home with 15k screaming them on. While id give us a chance, if Mayo can't win Saturday night I'd be serverly worried for them going forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

This is the Galway team that started the championship game against Mayo last summer in MacHale Park

Ruairi Lavelle;
    Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin;
    Gary O’Donnell, Gareth Bradshaw, Cathal Sweeney;
    Thomas Flynn, Ciarán Duggan;
    Shane Walsh,
    Paul Conroy, Johnny Heaney;
    Seán Armstrong, Damien Comer, Barry McHugh

In bold will likely start this Saturday night. The biggest losses there are Conroy and Comer. Wynne,Sean Kelly,Michael Daly are very much as good if not better than Armstrong,Sweeney,Kyne.

Advertisement