Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭threeball

RMAOK wrote: »
    Of the two Galway teams in the finals today, I think corofin have the better chance of winning tbh. Crokes play a similar brand of football yo corofin so they'll match corofin well, but if corofin get off to their usually fast start, I feel crokes would do well to reign then in. Corofin are experts at protecting a lead.

Thomas's will have it more difficult, I feel. Ballyhale have a very strong, if somewhat immobile, spine to their team. Michael fennelly, while a great hurler, is very static these days (not surprising given the mileage on the clock and the injuries he has had). Thomas's defense will have to be disciplined as tj Reid will knock over points from frees all day long. Conor Cooney has to go into 14 imo - he was completely lost in the semi final against cushendall when he went out the middle of the field. If Thomas's run at the ballyhale defense they are in with a great chance, but they'll need to start well as I don't see them clawing back a lead on the shamrocks.

Corofin have a much better defence than crokes and I think that's what will see them through. We've seen in Galway how they can full blanket if they want and yet play like they did in the final last year on another day.

Croker have huge attacking options but a very porous defence. Mullanneaghta could have caught them for 4 goals from high balls on top of the full back alone.

It will be a tough one but Corofin are a more complete team imo.

Thomas's look to be a class or two below Ballyhale. I'd be amazed if they pull it off but anything's possible on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Strange day yesterday. At half time in the hurling it looked like a very disappointing end to the league was on the way but by the end of the day they'd produced their best half of hurling for a long time, the footballers had looked classy beating Roscommon and Tyrone had given them a chance to make a league final.

It'll be a big ask to beat Tyrone in Omagh but considering most people, myself included, would have been content with maintaining Division 1 status at the start of the campaign you have to give credit to Walsh and the players for over delivering again. O Laoi and John Daly look like very useful additions to the team while seeing Cummins and Michael Daly back fit just highlights what we missed for a lot of last year.

I'm hoping they go all out to beat Tyrone. I'm seeing some talk in the Mayo thread that they wouldn't mind missing out on a league final because of the hype. To hell with that, national titles are hard won so when a chance presents itself then it needs to be taken.

Only downside is I might now have to drive to Tyrone next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Could of lost two prospects for the senior team this year.

Should we start the campaign for Kevin O Brien for Galway now or wait until the match is over.

This is exactly how we should play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

threeball wrote: »
    Should we start the campaign for Kevin O Brien for Galway now or wait until the match is over.

It's great attacking football - a joy to watch tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Robson99

It's great attacking football - a joy to watch tbh.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm fairly sure Colm O'Rourke and Joe Brolly are having the official launch in next week's Sunday Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

That Corofin team are a joy to watch
    Molloy and Burke in particular

Shame Kieran Fitz to end the match like that. Pure ****e acting from the Gooch

Well done and I hope Walsh doesn’t pick too many of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Up the currys and hard luck to st Thomas

km79 wrote: »
    That Corofin team are a joy to watch
    Molloy and Burke in particular

Shame Kieran Fitz to end the match like that. Pure ****e acting from the Gooch

Well done and I hope Walsh doesn’t pick too many of them !

There'll be at least 5 asked in I'd imagine. Burke, molloy, wall, Silke and farragher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Corofin are one serious outfit altogether. Easily best club team I've ever seen. Classy side with serious individual players and quality subs to come in

Pity for Toms but they never really got going. Eanna Burke was a massive loss altogether. They just don't have the depth to account for any big player missing. Conor Cooney is sadly way off form, and no way David Burke is fully fit. A huge shame if that injury to fintan burke is serious

There'll be at least 5 asked in I'd imagine. Burke, molloy, wall, Silke and farragher.

Leonard and the other Farragher too?

Daithi would be some addition to the footballers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

jr86 wrote: »

Sice is a class act also......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

spurshero wrote: »
    I would love Galway to win in tyrone and to beat Kerry and win a league championship . Ok it would hopefully make for a long season but I think the confidence it would bring would outweigh that espicially now we have a bigger panel . It’s funny just after looking at Mayo page there and some posters are saying they hope they don’t make final . Jesus ya would think they were the team going for 5 in a row that they can pass up chance of national success so easy .

No it's got zilch to do with such a thinking.

Squad depth is a factor amongst some peoples thinking.

Success does breed success and I'd like them go for it irrespective of any concerns about hype around what exactly?

For many the national league in terms of silverware simply doesn't register in comparison to an as yet elusive All Ireland title.Whither one likes it or not in spite of much of the best football being played in it year on year it is very much the secondary national competition.

Winning same alone won't sate the appetite for the ultimate success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭spurshero

Corofin are one serious outfit altogether. Easily best club team I've ever seen. Classy side with serious individual players and quality subs to come in

Pity for Toms but they never really got going. Eanna Burke was a massive loss altogether. They just don't have the depth to account for any big player missing. Conor Cooney is sadly way off form, and no way David Burke is fully fit. A huge shame if that injury to fintan burke is serious
    Absolute madness to have left Fintan on pitch after the injury the game was well gone at that stage . Hopefully it didn’t do extra damage .

seligehgit wrote: »

Success does breed success and I'd like them go for it irrespective of any concerns about hype around what exactly?

For many the national league in terms of silverware simply doesn't register in comparison to an as yet elusive All Ireland title.Whither one likes it or not in spite of much of the best football being played in it year on year it is very much the secondary national competition.

Fair enough if that’s the way ye see it . I suppose everybody has different outlooks

No way Daithi goes footballing, especially under the current management. He'd be throwing away an above average chance at an all Ireland for one with almost no chance.
    I'd imagine it's hard for any Corofin player to come from their set up into the current Galway one.

spurshero wrote:
    Absolute madness to have left Fintan on pitch after the injury the game was well gone at that stage . Hopefully it didn’t do extra damage .

Ya knee injuries shouldn't be chanced. Hopefully he's ok. Wanted so much for them to do well for Eanna. Cloud over the club with all that happened and obviously he was sorely missed on the pitch. Like Corofin, Ballyhale are a top class outfit and had a bit too much quality. Thought Shane Cooney played ok. C. Cooney and David Burke never got into it.

Not much to say about Corofin other than class is class. Hopefully the players joining the Galway panel bring us up another level. Power, Molloy and Wall had great games.

No way Daithi goes footballing, especially under the current management. He'd be throwing away an above average chance at an all Ireland for one with almost no chance.
    I'd imagine it's hard for any Corofin player to come from their set up into the current Galway one.

Never said he would but only for the hurling I'd imagine he'd be the first choice midfielder for the footballers

I'd have to agree with your latter comment. A lot of those are young fellas anyway, I wonder are some heading off for the summer anyhow?

Hurlers and pitch locations always seem to get a very raw deal. How they feel it's fair to bring us to Nolan Park next door to Waterford is beyond me. And our footballers playing Tyrone on the same day. They must only use Saturdays when it suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Daithi would be a fantastic addition for the footballers but hurling is his first love and doing both at the same time is just not possible at the very top level.

Some athlete though.

3 hurling All Star awards and man of the match in an All Ireland club football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hard luck to Tom's. Tough luck to lose Kenneth Burke before the final. Eanna Burke before throw in and Fintan Burke in the middle of the match itself. Difficult for a small club to lose talent like that and be able to replace them.

I'm not convinced David Burke is fully fit either. He didn't seem to be moving all that well today for a lad who usually glides over the turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seligehgit wrote: »

Get what you are saying but it would be a shame for the likes of A Moran,K Higgins,C Boyle to miss out on national title/medal before they retire and with Dublin out of the league this is ideal opportunity to win that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭cosatron

Be under no illusions that David Morris is responsible for corofin style of play. How his not in with Kevin Walsh is beyond me.

cosatron wrote: »
    Be under no illusions that David Morris is responsible for corofin style of play. How his not in with Kevin Walsh is beyond me.

Is he involved (or was involved) with the galway hurlers?

Is he involved (or was involved) with the galway hurlers?

His stats with galway hurlers and coach with corofin. I think David burkes and conor cooneys legs are gone, I hope I'm wrong but they we very poor today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Robson99

cosatron wrote: »
    His stats with galway hurlers and coach with corofin. I think David burkes and conor cooneys legs are gone, I hope I'm wrong but they we very poor today

Neither have hurled well since the 17 final

Robson99 wrote: »

David has shown some flashes but can't last a whole game, I say conor will do well to make the 23

Robson99 wrote: »

They could possibly do with a break. Cooney failed badly when Donohue decided to put Johnny Glynn at the edge of the square. Cooney wasn't suited to the corner - better at full.

David Burke shouldn't hurling for Galway until the championship imo. He needs to take a bit of a break. Between being captain (and all that entails) after the 2017 win, plus going All last year and the Thomas's campaign now, he could well do with a long break to recharge the batteries.

• Advertisement

Only heard there about eanna Burke . Wish him a speedy recovery . Just goes to show gaa is only a game . Was giving out earlier about tommies being poor but that preparation can’t have being easy .

Advertisement