Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr McVerry supporting lessons in how to occupy properties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Turnipman wrote: »
    That's a very unfair assumption!

In Ireland, the lollipop ladies outside national schools have far more power than elected councillors have.

An unfair assumption. It is the local councils who enact and pass planning laws and guidelines.
    DCC have been terrible at this, so much so that the Dept. of Environment is go ahead issuing their own guidelines to superceed that of DCC, which means higher apartment blocks, meaning more apartments.

They also voted to reduce property tax by 15%, and then complain about the lack of funds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Turnipman wrote: »
    That's a very unfair assumption!

In Ireland, the lollipop ladies outside national schools have far more power than elected councillors have.

About the of the powers of any elected councillor is arranging for a Palestinian flag to be flown from a DCC-owned building - subject to planning permission, of course!

They can also offer the Freedom of the City to various waifs and strays which offers them the opportunity to garner some cheap publicity and to dress up in their robes of office.

Well all that is a complete lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Are you a blueshirt NIMAN?

Link up on what you're speculating on there otherwise I will regard you as being disingenuous and party politically pointscoring on this issue.

I'm not an anything. Just a citizen like yourself.

In fact I am originally from NI, so have no political preferences this side of the border. I just like to see politicians and councillors do what they are supposed to, and that they are called out when they don't.

I'm simply pointing out that, afaik and I stand open to correction on this, that Dublin City Council, who could make things happen in regard to the housing crisis in the capital, is controlled by SF, yet we often see them front and centre when it comes to complaining about the issue.

Am I wrong? If I am, I will gladly accept any criticism and education given.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »
    An unfair assumption. It is the local councils who enact and pass planning laws and guidelines.
    DCC have been terrible at this, so much so that the Dept. of Environment is go ahead issuing their own guidelines to superceed that of DCC, which means higher apartment blocks, meaning more apartments.

They also voted to reduce property tax by 15%, and then complain about the lack of funds...

Didn't FG/FF Vote in tandem with them though:confused:
    Sinn Fein - the largest party on the council - along with Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and People Before Profit voted against the increase which was defeated by 42 votes to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Would be great if we could have US style "defend your property" laws in Ireland for just a fortnight. Let the landlords go in and shoot the wasters, imagine what we would save in dole, single parents allowance etc. Would also put a dent on the number of dope smokers in the city!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don't, but at least acknowledge that there is no free market when it comes to the provision of housing and accommodation. There are thousands of laws and rules governing this, so there is no free market.

If we looked at 2 or 3 of those rules, the homeless and rent issue would be nowhere near as bad as it is. But somehow its the fault of the free market.
    We need to regulate is the point you appear to be advocating unfettered or at least more power to the ‘free market’ forces and less regulation. We need better regulation not less regulation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

We need to regulate is the point you appear to be advocating unfettered or at least more power to the ‘free market’ forces and less regulation. We need better regulation not less regulation

Better regulation, not less.
    When has that ever really worked?

The free market in Ireland is a myth. There is no free market, because of all the rules and regulations, yet people blame the free market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Didn't FG/FF Vote in tandem with them though:confused:

Very true.

But FG/FF are regularly condemned as the party of landlords and the rich.

Id have expected SF who are constantly loudly complaining about homelessness to take a stand and raise the funds needed to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Very true.

Id have expected SF who are constantly loudly complaining about homelessness to take a stand and raise the funds needed to end it.

They obviously should, they have the ability to fund a swathe of projects that could help the problem in many ways but due to the stink they stupidly raised about property taxes they couldn't face voters if they did it as it would mean admiting they lied to them.

Better regulation, not less.
    When has that ever really worked?
    It might work if they tried it, they haven't is the point.
    The free market in Ireland is a myth. There is no free market, because of all the rules and regulations, yet people blame the free market.
    :pac: Unbelievable crap. The provision of housing has been increasingly left in the hands of the private industry and you're saying they should get more power over it and even less in control of the state?

Other countries and big cities in them seem to be able to manage the housing issue for their citizens a lot better, perhaps we should be looking at other models instead of arguing about Left versus Right and tedious party political mudslinging.

• Advertisement

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Would be great if we could have US style "defend your property" laws in Ireland for just a fortnight. Let the landlords go in and shoot the wasters, imagine what we would save in dole, single parents allowance etc. Would also put a dent on the number of dope smokers in the city!! :)
    I know you're trying to be funny but it appears that there's a good few around here who want Ireland to go fully down the USA route in terms of housing and probably with health and other matters. The disgusting and stupid "I'm alright Jack attitude" that undermines communities and cheapens life for everyone across the board.

It might work if they tried it, they haven't is the point.

:pac: Unbelievable crap. The provision of housing has been increasingly left in the hands of the private industry and you're saying they should get more power over it and even less in control of the state?

Other countries and big cities in them seem to be able to manage the housing issue for their citizens a lot better, perhaps we should be looking at other models instead of arguing about Left versus Right and tedious party political mudslinging.

Less regulation doesnt mean handing things over completely to the private sector either.

However lets discuss other countries, take Germany the holy grail of renting, they have an ownership rate of 40% with 60% renting, that's half of what we do with 80% owning and 20% renting. Also they have reduced their social housing builds to negligible amounts and yet they don't have problems in that regard either proving social housing as we currently run it is not required either.

So given the right regulation private and specifically co-housing models could be what we need, but then we come back to party sniping as those on the left and people like yourself will only shout and scream about social housing and refuse to consider other options even when they have proven to work in multiple countries quite well, ie Germany and Denmark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think we have to start building outwards and expand Dublin city, not find any available land/park/football pitch and start developing housing, most capital cities around the world have crazy prices for renting and Dublin is no different, Most of the country want to live in Dublin because that is were the jobs are so maybe try to encourage more jobs on the outskirts.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm not an anything. Just a citizen like yourself.

In fact I am originally from NI, so have no political preferences this side of the border. I just like to see politicians and councillors do what they are supposed to, and that they are called out when they don't.

I'm simply pointing out that, afaik and I stand open to correction on this, that Dublin City Council, who could make things happen in regard to the housing crisis in the capital, is controlled by SF, yet we often see them front and centre when it comes to complaining about the issue.

Am I wrong? If I am, I will gladly accept any criticism and education given.
    I saw this discussed on The Tonight Show the other night and that little toerag Willie O'Dea and Louise O'Reilly, I don't think it was as simple as you and other posters here made it out to be.

Besides, FF and FG have been leading every government since the foundation of the state including one propping the other up in this one, it's hilarious to see their fanboys on here try to blame SF for the housing crisis.

I saw this discussed on The Tonight Show the other night and that little toerag Willie O'Dea and Louise O'Reilly, I don't think it was as simple as you and other posters here made it out to be.

Besides, FF and FG have been leading every government since the foundation of the state including one propping the other up in this one, it's hilarious to see their fanboys on here try to blame SF for the housing crisis.

SF arent to blame for it, they bear partial responsibility for not doing enough to help fix it in Dublin.

You do like twisting peoples words don't you?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Less regulation doesnt mean handing things over completely to the private sector either.

However lets discuss other countries, take Germany the holy grail of renting, they have an ownership rate of 40% with 60% renting, that's half of what we do with 80% owning and 20% renting. Also they have reduced their social housing builds to negligible amounts and yet they don't have problems in that regard either proving social housing as we currently run it is not required either.

So given the right regulation private and specifically co-housing models could be what we need, but then we come back to party sniping as those on the left and people like yourself will only shout and scream about social housing and refuse to consider other options even when they have proven to work in multiple countries quite well, ie Germany and Denmark
    Can you stop putting words in my mouth pal?

I'm willing to look at other models and apply the one's that work best.

http://www.thejournal.ie/co-housing-3798698-Jan2018/

It also appears you are being disingenuous about 'co housing models' in Denmark and Germany. These models have public state support. You're making out that there's no state intervention in the housing market in those countries at all. That looks to be a lie on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Most people don't want 'free houses' - they just want to be able to work and live in Dublin at an affordable cost.

I assure you most people, if not everyone wants a free house. Who the hell would pay for a house if it was possible to get one for free..........

I would gladly take a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

I know you're trying to be funny but it appears that there's a good few around here who want Ireland to go fully down the USA route in terms of housing and probably with health and other matters. The disgusting and stupid "I'm alright Jack attitude" that undermines communities and cheapens life for everyone across the board.

Its simple. If you are able bodied, get a job, pay your taxes, live where you can afford and
    CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY!!

Social welfare if for those who "can't" not those who "won't"

Can you stop putting words in my mouth pal?

I'm willing to look at other models and apply the one's that work best.

http://www.thejournal.ie/co-housing-3798698-Jan2018/

It also appears you are being disingenuous about 'co housing models' in Denmark and Germany. These models have public state support. You're making out that there's no state intervention in the housing market in those countries at all. That looks to be a lie on your part.

No I said theres no social housing as we have it now.

Talk about putting words in other peoples mouths, youve done it again there and have been constantly doing it for the last 2 pages

Its simple. If you are able bodied, get a job, pay your taxes, live where you can afford and
    CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY!!

:pac: If only life was so simple pal. A lot of people being priced out of the housing market have a job and pay their taxes etc.

You haven't been paying attention have you Rightist snowflake?

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    No I said theres no social housing as we have it now.

Talk about putting words in other peoples mouths, youve done it again there and have been constantly doing it for the last 2 pages

It's social housing of a different form is that the point your making? Fine lets look at those models and see if they fit.

The "social housing as we have it now" in Ireland is already negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

:pac: If only life was so simple pal. A lot of people being priced out of the housing market have a job and pay their taxes etc.

You haven't been paying attention have you Rightist snowflake?

I'm torn here.

This post is a strange mix, one point I am in total agreement, people who work being priced out of housing and the next line which is totally childish and stupid.

I'm torn here.

This post is a strange mix, one point I am in total agreement, people who work being priced out of housing and the next line which is totally childish and stupid.

It was in response to the other poster. Look it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It was in response to the other poster. Look it up there.

Mod: Yeah, stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Rightist snowflake

This expression seems to be all the rage here over the last few days.

And it doesn't even make sense. Right leaning and Snowflake are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY!!

I believe disability allowance is for those who can't work, and I've seen people who have jobs and won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Take back the city" - from whom exactly?

Sounds like a bad reprise of "Reclaim the city" which also was a Marxist movement dividing the perceived "disadvantaged" against their perceived enemy "the rich".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I saw this discussed on The Tonight Show the other night and that little toerag Willie O'Dea and Louise O'Reilly

A well-matched pair. If people could live in hot air balloons then between the pair of them they'd have solved the housing crisis many times over by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Very true.

Hard to know what is the biggest shocker here tbh.

A party who opposed tooth and nail, any notion of a property tax being introduced, and who vowed to reduce it at any given opportunity - doing so.

Or FG/FF voting with the shinners and other 'loony left/hard left' (delete as appropriate) to reduce said property tax.

Or lastly - FG shills posting on the internet about the shinners reducing it, and maybe secretly hoping they wouldn't be called out on it/or were oblivious to their own team doing likewise.

It's a tricky one, I'll give you that.

• Advertisement

doylefe wrote: »
    This expression seems to be all the rage here over the last few days.

And it doesn't even make sense. Right leaning and Snowflake are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Snowflake

Snowflake was originally a term coined by Rightist's to pan those who they saw on The Left because they accused them of always 'complaining about stuff etc.'

However in my experience it is often those on The Right who are often complaining about changes in society these days, witness some of those complaining about people engaging in protests about the housing problems on this country.

In my view (whether you agree with their methods or not) those engaging in protests are being proactive and bringing attention to the issues involved whereas as those sitting on the sidelines complaining about those involved in the protests are the moaning 'snowflakes' in this instance.

Advertisement