Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr McVerry supporting lessons in how to occupy properties

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

The house will be fit to be knocked in 50 years!!!

What makes you think that? My parents are living in a house built by Roscommon county council in 1952. They bought it in 1984. Structurally in prefect condition. Are you suggesting modern construction standards are sub standard and what evidence have you if that is your claim?.

There isn't an infinate need of state provided houses. A considerable cohort of the population are more than capable of housing themselves. However we as a society by the governments we have elected decided to take care of those that for a multitude of reasons can't of course there are those that won't even try. Not enough to get upset about tbh.

jjmcclure wrote:
    Enlighten us then? There is no justification for someone on less than 2x18k paying 12.5 the tax.

You threw out the figures not I. You can put them in context.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭enricoh

The country is spending more than it takes in. Ireland is the third most indebted country in the first world iirc.
    Apparently a worldwide recession is due in the near future. brexit, eu tax harmonisation, Trump's trade wars and trying to get big business back home ain't gonna help Paddy.

But sod it build 10000 free gaffs in Dublin and let's solve this. And if another 20000 say I'd like one too, then we'll give them one too. We'll just tax the rich- easy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Respect the law
    Respect property rights
    Get out of those peoples/landlords/companies houses

Who the hell has time to be "occupying" a vacant property anyway?? Go to work!

If some of these protesters put as much effort into making a life for THEMSELVES instead of waiting for handouts they'd be much better off.
    I often wonder if many of the protesters have a job. They never march for jobs anyway.
    The Water protests were on Saturdays when people took to the streets but this crowd seem to be able to protest at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement

I often wonder if many of the protesters have a job. They never march for jobs anyway. The Water protests were on Saturdays when people took to the streets but this crowd seem to be able to protest at the drop of a hat.

I've protested during the weekdays as have many people I know. We all work .Do you think the entire working population starts at 9 on a Monday and finishes every day at 5 till Friday?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I've protested during the weekdays as have many people I know. We all work .Do you think the entire working population starts at 9 on a Monday and finishes every day at 5 till Friday?

I think very few of those Frederick St protesters actually work at all.
    I could be wrong.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I often wonder if many of the protesters have a job. They never march for jobs anyway.
    The Water protests were on Saturdays when people took to the streets but this crowd seem to be able to protest at the drop of a hat.

This is a far more valid campaign than the water protests. Paying for upgrading and up-keeping the water system makes sense it's just that Fine Gael made an arse of it by trying to get people to pay for something before they fixed it.

The housing and accommodation situation needs to be addressed and the government have failed to tackle it. Protests and social action around the issue can help to bring it to a head and force the powers that be to get the finger out and introduce reforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Not if you supply an infinite amount of houses at discount rates.

The country will be bust in no time.

Discounted rates that are currently around 75,000,000 in arrears remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

enricoh wrote: »
    The country is spending more than it takes in. Ireland is the third most indebted country in the first world iirc.
    Apparently a worldwide recession is due in the near future. brexit, eu tax harmonisation, Trump's trade wars and trying to get big business back home ain't gonna help Paddy.

But sod it build 10000 free gaffs in Dublin and let's solve this. And if another 20000 say I'd like one too, then we'll give them one too. We'll just tax the rich- easy

Yeah, who said that though as a solution? Nonsense:pac:

• Advertisement

I think very few of those Frederick St protesters actually work at all. I could be wrong.

The American military has a great expression , "assumption is the mother of all fcukups". Several I believe are students. Nice to see the youth taking an interest in social affairs worrying though I suppose if they turn up at the polling booth with the same concerns.

The American military has a great expression , "assumption is the mother of all fcukups". Several I believe are students. Nice to see the youth taking an interest in social affairs worrying though I suppose if they turn up at the polling booth with the same concerns.

Who would be worried if they voted?
    Not one party is going to address this issue in any meaningful way. None.

Who would be worried if they voted? Not one party is going to address this issue in any meaningful way. None.

I disagree slightly no party seems interested in addressing this in any meaningful way. Then again not party was interested in dealing with water charges until popular opinion forced them too.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

jjmcclure wrote: »
    FG are a center left party. An agenda of increasing social welfare, taxing "high earners", exceptionally soft on crime and criminals, granny grants, totally useless on social welfare fraud!

We need a center right party who will support hard work and success, reduce the social welfare bill substantially, eradicate social welfare fraud, brutalise criminals and above all incentivise those who contribute to society

First we need a Conservative media outlet with a significant market share

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Social housing, with rents based on income, which will recoup build costs over time is the most fiscally conservative way forward.
    The other, current, is buying houses to use as social housing and paying rents to private landlords, not to mention hotels and B&B's. But alas that loses private concerns profit and center left :) FG don't play that.

Are you aware that close on 20% of local authority tenants are in arrears?

Non payers do not get evicted so the liklihood of a massive public housing programme washing its own face is pretty small unless we get tough on deadbeat tenants.

I disagree slightly no party seems interested in addressing this in any meaningful way. Then again not party was interested in dealing with water charges until popular opinion forced them too.

That and the fact that people paying taxes and mortgages of their own don't feel like paying even more.
    Social housing will be built gradually I'd say as we can't afford a major build without upping taxes and poking the bear who pays them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Stop doubling down on your ignorance you don't know so can assume nothing. I work shifts and have taken part in many protests down through the years and heard this go to work bs from people like you on multiple occasions. Again lazy ignorant commentary.

But your job could be done equally competently by a well-trained poodle with a Junior Cert.

That and the fact that people paying taxes and mortgages of their own don't feel like paying even more. Social housing will be built gradually I'd say as we can't afford a major build without upping taxes and poking the bear who pays them.

The government had no problem poking the "bear" to pay for the banks. Helping families out of hotels especially children is more palatable to the average taxpayer than seeing their taxes prop up a banking sector that is bleeding them dry.

The government had no problem poking the "bear" to pay for the banks. Helping families out of hotels especially children is more palatable to the average taxpayer than seeing their taxes prop up a banking sector that is bleeding them dry.

I agree but there's only so much tax a worker can take.
    We're paying more now than we did 10 years ago and on less wages with the cuts. Add Property Tax to that and we cross the 50 percent.
    Imagine if you paid all the taxes first, you'd be into July before you got any money for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I agree but there's only so much tax a worker can take.
    We're paying more now than we did 10 years ago and on less wages with the cuts. Add Property Tax to that and we cross the 50 percent.

They well know that people will just work away, because you know we have to pay for our houses - it’s not like we get them free like some do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

enricoh wrote: »

Quick question.

If this apparent world wide recession strikes, and these EU taxation trump war thingymajig yokes all strike Ireland at the same time, and the arse falls out of things here with the auld cash....

Where's the money going to come to still pay the private landlords, the hotels and the bed and breakfast owners that are currently receiving state euro to house these people?

Maybe they'll all simultaneously be turned out on to the streets on their bare asses, turning the place into a post apocalypse wasteland overnight......

Quick question.

If this apparent world wide recession strikes, and these EU taxation trump war thingymajig yokes all strike Ireland at the same time, and the arse falls out of things here with the auld cash....

Where's the money going to come to still pay the private landlords, the hotels and the bed and breakfast owners that are currently receiving state euro to house these people?

Maybe they'll all simultaneously be turned out on to the streets on their bare asses, turning the place into a post apocalypse wasteland overnight......

Maybe we should spend the Apple billions on housing and promise to pay them back in small amounts gradually. Tee hee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Have you a costing for these houses and the recoup figures etc?

Can I show building is cheaper than buying off market? School childer know that. Or are we to believe developers and builders are in it for sport? :rolleyes:
    Build and rent out or buy and rent out.
    Recoup rents on your own property or pay to subsidise rents on a private property.
    Are you codding me?

Ha not in Ireland as their is rent arrears of 50 million and the maintenance costs far out do any balancing.

Say a house costs 250,000 and someone is paying 400 month.

It would tak nearly 55 years to just recoup the money.

Anyway have you a costing on the actual building of these houses and where the money will come from?

Say a house costs 350,000 and they're paying 400 a month? Because that's what we have now with Eoghan buying them off the market.

Makey up rent. If you are a working tax payer and being charged a reasonable rent by the LA's it would be a different story. Not everyone affected by the housing crisis is a no mark dutch gold whinger. We have hard working tax payers too.

Rent arrears on a house you own and rent out or putting the very same people up in the Gresham, which costs more? Surely you're clowning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Can I show building is cheaper than buying off market? School childer know that. Or are we to believe developers and builders are in it for sport? :rolleyes:
    Build and rent out or buy and rent out, are you codding me?

But it is a lot slower. Partly because of objections from those who already have a house.

Immediate solutions are needed. They lie in using some of the 200,000 vacant houses.

Turnipman wrote:
    But your job could be done equally competently by a well-trained poodle with a Junior Cert.

Rather a stupid comment when you are ignorant to what my job is. Thanks the laughs though keep it up.

_Brian wrote:
    They well know that people will just work away, because you know we have to pay for our houses - it’s not like we get them free like some do.

Always amuses when I see the free houses crap being thrown out. Not a day goes by on boards than someone doesn't say it. It's an expectation now tradition if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Build and rent out or buy and rent out.
    Recoup rents on your own property or pay to subsidise rents on a private property.
    Are you codding me?

How many houses do we need and at what cost and where is the money gonna come from?

I have asked you this already and received nothing.

I won’t hold my breathe...

I agree but there's only so much tax a worker can take. We're paying more now than we did 10 years ago and on less wages with the cuts. Add Property Tax to that and we cross the 50 percent. Imagine if you paid all the taxes first, you'd be into July before you got any money for yourself.

I pay 23 per cent tax on my entire income. The property tax is negligible. Noone pays over 50 per cent of their income in tax. If you want to start to adding excise and vat that's a different story but everyone pays those not just the workers.

• Advertisement

But it is a lot slower. Partly because of objections from those who already have a house.

Immediate solutions are needed. They lie in using some of the 200,000 vacant houses.

Agreed, but they said that in 2011. They've still not made a start.

Advertisement