Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr McVerry supporting lessons in how to occupy properties

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

This man has lost all credibility in my eye. Whatever your views on the housing situation, it’s never right to enter someone else’s property illegally. But teaching people how to do so is beyond belief.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-an-emergency-you-take-emergency-action-fr-mcverry-supports-take-back-the-city-workshops-on-occupying-vacant-buildings-37327369.html

Total agree.
    I have long believed he is a part of the problem rather than the solution, loves to peddle the idea of the "entitlement" culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Interesting over in the accommodation forum there is a marked increase in the number of posts from small tome landlords saying that tenants are overstaying and stopping paying their rent.

Private property needs to be respected. The rule of law needs to be respected.

The rental market is terribly skewed at present because so many properties have been taken out of the rental system. Landlords sold out because of the draconian tax implication of rental income.

When landlords can no longer make a profit they will no longer rent property out.

Occupying property and more and more tenants welching on tents will only worsen the problem by driving properties to be sold out of rental and existing rents increasing to cover the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

DChancer wrote: »
    Total agree.
    I have long believed he is a part of the problem rather than the solution, loves to peddle the idea of the "entitlement" culture.
    I actually don't. I've huge respect for him - he gave up a comfortable life and actually DID something for people rather than bitch about other people not doing something. He sacrificed so much for decades, and for the genuinely needy. Horrific stories of people being neglected as children and ending up on the streets.

But I agree this is disappointing crap by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The whole thing is an ego trip driven by those who want to elected on this platform.

Watch the videos of the protests, it's a cynical exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

LOL at the right wingers on here that don't like the occupy stunt. I'm not totally in agreement with all of the tactics of the Take Back the City campaign myself but they're succeeding in highlighting the issue and the lack of action relating to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I heard him this morning saying they need to occcupy 50 or a 100 houses because the gards can’t evict all of them at the same time.

Sick of him and his sniggering attitude to anyone who disagrees with him.

Makes people who own a property feel guilty for not handing it to some homeless person.

Not to mention his ceo on a 100k a year.

To be homest I find him a bit of a well I can’t say it here..

Maybe his beloved Catholic Church might take some of the 200 billion they own and house the homeless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can think of loads of harmless reasons to 'illegally enter someone's property', to say it's never right is a bit naive. Now if there's someone living there it's a no go obviously but there are plenty of long vacant or extensive properties out there where it's harmless. Did you never kick a ball over the wall as a child? Take a shortcut while out walking? Go camping?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I can think of loads of harmless reasons to 'illegally enter someone's property', to say it's never right is a bit naive. Now if there's someone living there it's a no go obviously but there are plenty of long vacant or extensive properties out there where it's harmless. Did you never kick a ball over the wall as a child? Take a shortcut while out walking? Go camping?

I dont remember going over a wall to collect a ball and then refusing to leave until a high court order was issued.

_Brian wrote: »
    Interesting over in the accommodation forum there is a marked increase in the number of posts from small tome landlords saying that tenants are overstaying and stopping paying their rent.

Private property needs to be respected. The rule of law needs to be respected.

The rental market is terribly skewed at present because so many properties have been taken out of the rental system. Landlords sold out because of the draconian tax implication of rental income.

When landlords can no longer make a profit they will no longer rent property out.

Occupying property and more and more tenants welching on tents will only worsen the problem by driving properties to be sold out of rental and existing rents increasing to cover the costs.
    so landlords can't make any profit, at all? Or is it more that they aren't making enough profit? How big a profit should they be making? I saw a thread there a few months ago where some guy put up theoretical numbers to claim you couldn't make a profit renting out..ignoring the fact that the rent was also paying off the mortgage

I dont remember going over a wall to collect a ball and then refusing to leave until a high court order was issued.

Cute, but I'm clearly responding to the op

• Advertisement

Cute, but I'm clearly responding to the op

your post was nothing at all to do with the OP. McVerry is advocating more action like the recent frederick st occupation and also seems happy to waste garda resources in doing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

so landlords can't make any profit, at all? Or is it more that they aren't making enough profit? How big a profit should they be making? I saw a thread there a few months ago where some guy put up theoretical numbers to claim you couldn't make a profit renting out..ignoring the fact that the rent was also paying off the mortgage

Enough profit to justify the risk. If the risk profile is too much for a landlord at a given price they will raise their rent accordingly.

Most landlords wants a steady income, that is all. Nevermind that landlords wont see 40c on the euro as take-home income.

your post was nothing at all to do with the OP. McVerry is advocating more action like the recent frederick st occupation and also seems happy to waste garda resources in doing to.
    Oh really?
    Whatever your views on the housing situation, it’s never right to enter someone else’s property illegally.

Oh really?

was is illegal about going over a wall to collect a football and then returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The notion that landlords can make profits is ludicrous, they're just greedy for more.

Rent is astronomical in Irish cities, it's scandalously extortionate and yet we have right wing mopes moaning about student protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

This man has lost all credibility in my eye. Whatever your views on the housing situation, it’s never right to enter someone else’s property illegally. But teaching people how to do so is beyond belief.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-an-emergency-you-take-emergency-action-fr-mcverry-supports-take-back-the-city-workshops-on-occupying-vacant-buildings-37327369.html

McVerry's employers (the people who paid his salary, gave him free board and transport for decades) have thousands more unoccupied properties around the country than any of these landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He needs to be pulled up on this, the next time he's on the radio or TV, but of course he won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The Constitution of this state includes a right to private property.
    The government should be enforcing this right.

/occupy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Rrrriiiight...and I'm sure the fine folks breaking into houses and assaulting the elderly residents up and down the country are just highlighting the lack of Garda resources and closures of local stations!

McVerry has always been a self-appointed lecturer of the masses. A moralising vested interest who ignores any hard questions about the charity he heads, the church he lives off or the people he demands rights for on the backs of the work of others

He can fcuk off as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

I think most people in the country know for several years now that there is a homeless crisis (or a constructed one as some believe), they don't need people illegally occupying properties to tell them.

Breaking the law is breaking the law. Private individuals whose property is being illegally taken over should have the law protect them.

When are Take Back the City going to take over government and church owned vacant properties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

TheCitizen wrote: »
    LOL at the right wingers on here that don't like the occupy stunt. I'm not totally in agreement with all of the tactics of the Take Back the City campaign myself but they're succeeding in highlighting the issue and the lack of action relating to it.
    Not a rightwinger - and I doubt you're lolling.

Don't agree with private property being broken into or people being held up from going home to family after a long day's work. How it's an unreasonable position is beyond me. And a lot of middle class leftwingers know it, but need to pretend that it's totally fine and they're not bourgeois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Who exactly is it they want to take the city back from?

The Man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

wexie wrote: »

Snow patrol. They started it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

wexie wrote: »

Property speculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

BPKS wrote: »
    McVerry's employers (the people who paid his salary, gave him free board and transport for decades) have thousands more unoccupied properties around the country than any of these landlords.

Yeah, but people only want free houses to live in in Dublin City centre, not in Bally-go-backwards in the Wesht.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The reason there's a housing crisis is because the majority have a home & don't give a damn for those who don't. The same applies to health care.

It must be desperately upsetting for those that care, like McVerry, seeing the problem getting worse not better.

Property speculators.

... who are doing nothing illegal.

If I buy a property in central Dublin, I can leave it lying empty for 100 years if I want.

Unless the Gov changes laws of course. They are the ones to aim your vitriol at, not the owners of properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Maybe his church could lead by example by handing over some of the properties they promised to to pay for their abuse?

Advertisement