Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr McVerry supporting lessons in how to occupy properties

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

CruelCoin wrote: »
    And therein lies the absolute fantasy.

An average earner cannot, and should not be able to live in a premium area.

Until the planning laws change and we can slap up some projects style tenement blocks, it will never be affordable for street sweepers and burger flippers to buy within the M50.

So much utter shit in one short post.

What's your definition of a 'premium area'? Is the entirety of Dublin (and the surrounding counties, where prices are also prohibitively high) one great big 'premium area'? Should an average earner be prohibited from living within, say, 50km of their place of work?

And who said anything about street sweepers and burger flippers (or guards, nurses, teachers, for that matter) being able to buy within the M50? Should it not be affordable for them to even rent within the greater Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This man has lost all credibility in my eye.

I'll tell you another thing here below that you can gauge his credibility on. I see him first hand siding with and looking after criminals and degenerates without a second thought. I work in a Dublin prison and see that he treats the staff with a suspicion that he wouldn't reserve for someone who assaults and batters OAPs.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    He's in our prisons this weekend handing out tobacco to handbag snatchers and granny bashers. He's too far gone on the bleeding heart scale to take all that seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

NIMAN wrote: »
    I agree with you that it does look like 2007 all over again, but again its simple economics.

If some landlord priced his place at €1500 per month, it would lie empty unless someone was prepared to give him that.

Yes the shortage of properties is the problem, and prices would come down if there was 50,000 extra places to live around Dublin, but there ain't.
    Yeah so maybe we should build some on all that empty land and derelict buildings or high buildings. Try anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Protest is valid in a democracy. Worked well during the water charge protests.

There is a very clear difference between a parade with banners and people making ****e of private property.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

I feel sorry for the Garda when elected tds and priests are encouraging people to break the law.

Something seems to be simmering here and gathering momentum and it’s not pleasant.

The Garda are the only barrier between a break down of law and order in society.

Media is completely responsible for disproportionately amplifying the views of the fringe left.

Eventually the cavier bolsheveiks in rte might get more than they wished for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah so maybe we should build some on all that empty land and derelict buildings or high buildings. Try anything?

I'll sign up to more building for sure. Not a problem.
    Who is in control of DCC I wonder, who should be making this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sick of him and his sniggering attitude to anyone who disagrees with him.

I've seen it. You'd have a fella on lock-up in his cell for assaulting someone and Mc Verry would insist you'd open the door so he could speak to him... just to see how he is. Never mind he's tried to take someone's head off with a sweeping brush an hour prior. Nah the Padre just wants to make calls on his behalf, pass along messages, give him smokes, that type of thing. Yeah, fcuk the punishment handed down, never mind the security risk, to hell with consequences because Anto needs to get his tobacco and Fr Mc Verry's rank over rules everyone else. How about no. He can occupy his 8x6 property there for the rest of the night because he didn't play by the rules. The looks you'd get if you challenge him. He's a nice man up until you say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Protest is valid in a democracy. Worked well during the water charge protests.

Protests are fine.

Breaking the law in the name of protest isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

NIMAN wrote: »

I'll sign up to more building for sure. Not a problem.
    Who is in control of DCC I wonder, who should be making this happen?
    Whoever is in control of DCC, yes they should make it happen. So we agree so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I feel sorry for the Garda when elected tds and priests are encouraging people to break the law.

Something seems to be simmering here and gathering momentum and it’s not pleasant.

The Garda are the only barrier between a break down of law and order in society.

Oh please.

2 commissioners and 2 x justice ministers have been and gone since the law and order party came to power.

I read this post in Noel Cooonans voice though, so I'll give you that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

A lot of posters seem to ignore the rights of landlords in favour of the rights of tenants, I am neither thankfully but I found this story interesting as a counter point to the views of tenants:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-would-not-follow-the-law-the-next-time-landlord-who-lost-25k-in-ordeal-with-rentdodging-tenants-37317965.html

Sorry its the indo, I know some don't like it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

kneemos wrote: »
    Maybe his church could lead by example by handing over some of the properties they promised to to pay for their abuse?

The Jesuits the religious organisation of which McVerry (and the Pope) are members are one of the few religious orders in Ireland who don't appear to have abused anyone.

Furthermore, they have just done this:-

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/jesuits-gift-dublin-buildings-to-be-converted-to-social-housing-1.3596462

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Turnipman wrote: »
    The Jesuits the religious organisation of which McVerry (and the Pope) are is members are one of the few religious orders in Ireland who don't appear to have abused anyone.

Furthermore, they have just done this:-

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/jesuits-gift-dublin-buildings-to-be-converted-to-social-housing-1.3596462
    Why bother with research when you could just throw out populist bollox. And it gets you off the hook for not doing a thing to help vulnerable people yourself.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    'Snowflake' and 'SJW' among the favourite tripe slurs of alt right lunatics and turgid right wing conservatives.

The students in the Take the City Back campaign are making a valid point of protest. They're getting up of their asses and doing something about it to try to draw attention to the ridiculous cost of accommodation in this country. I always find it hilarious when alt right loons throw the 'snowflake' tag at someone who is actually trying to stand up for themselves and others.

In what way is occupying a derelict building that belongs to someone else "standing up for oneself"?

Why bother with research when you could just throw out populist bollox. And it gets you off the hook for not doing a thing to help vulnerable people yourself.

I reckon that the poor man has lost his marbles. He's a rogue Jesuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

endacl wrote: »
    That’s true. Before their action, nobody was aware that there was a property shortage and that rents were spiralling way beyond sane and sustainable levels. It was never mentioned in the media. People were completely unaware of hundreds of families being housed in hotels and b&bs. I met a guy last week who actually hadn’t been aware that he had been handing over the vast majority of his income every month in rent and would never be able to save a deposit for his own place. Came as a bit of a shock to him, let me tell you!

Fair play to the campaigners for bring the issue to the attention of the general populace.

:rolleyes:
    There was nowt being done about was there. No harm in a bit of direct action to further highlight an issue. The snowflaking from Rightist' in relation to this protest is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I suppose you'll be lobbying your FG TD to start a new "heavy gang".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I can see you spent your business classes behind the bike shed riding.

It's not relevant in the least what the comparable rent is in other capitals.

Tell that to Niman there.

And why wouldn't it be relevant? If it's as cheap or chaeaper to rent in a city like Paris with the facilities, amenities, geographic location and public transport infrastructure as it in in Dublin, you don't think there's something wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Graces7 wrote:
    all talk and hollow talk at that. self aggrandisement.

What have you done,that allows you attack Mcverrys character?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Tell that to Niman there.

And why wouldn't it be relevant? If it's as cheap or chaeaper to rent in a city like Paris with the facilities, amenities, geographic location and public transport infrastructure as it in in Dublin, you don't think there's something wrong with that?

No.

Because that's the going rate.
    If it's the rate you have an issue with then that's something to fix, by allowing more people to build, by allowing taller buildings, by relaxing the building codes that assume that every minimum wager should be going into a super-deluxe A1 rated home, etc etc.
    Just whinging about the price of it isn't going to do anything. Have a point to your whinge at least.

• Advertisement

Breaking the law in the name of protest isn’t.

You clearly don't understand the concept of protest so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Turnipman wrote: »
    I reckon that the poor man has lost his marbles. He's a rogue Jesuit!
    Well I'm actually defending him from the pure sh1te being thrown at him in relation to the church, by people who haven't done a fraction of what he has for those in need. :)

Nothing negates the above.

But I do understand criticism of him in relation to the way he's advocating breaking the law, and his carry-on when visiting prisoners. This is disappointing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

There was nowt being done about was there. No harm in a bit of direct action to further highlight an issue. The snowflaking from Rightist' in relation to this protest is pathetic.

This is exactly the point. No one is being hurt really if vacant properties are being occupied, except it creates an issue for the landlords, security and gardai, and the government as part of the media backlash. When the government refuse to make a decent effort, at some stage people need to make enough stress for them that the easier solution is to solve the problem at hand rather than crushing protests

regardless of whether you are religious or not, maybe you believe in the historical Jesus and maybe you even admire him.

If Jesus were alive today, would he be on the side of Peter McVerry, or would he be on the side of the property speculators, or even the Catholic Church?

In my view, Peter McVerry is a man of unparallelled integrity in Irish public life. He deserves to be commended for his stance on the Frederick Street occupation. I suspect that (not unlike Jesus!), when this crisis has blown over and property-owners find that the communists haven't taken over after all, history will be on McVerry's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This is exactly the point. No one is being hurt really if vacant properties are being occupied, except it creates an issue for the landlords, security and gardai, and the government as part of the media backlash. When the government refuse to make a decent effort, at some stage people need to make enough stress for them that the easier solution is to solve the problem at hand rather than crushing protests

Tell that to the owner who has to go to the high court to have them removed and spends 1000's (and possibly 10 of 1000's) to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Tell that to the owner who has to go to the high court to have them removed and spends 1000's (and possibly 10 of 1000's) to do so.

Why did he have to spend 1000's to remove them? What was he doing with the property that required it to be empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'll tell you another thing here below that you can gauge his credibility on. I see him first hand siding with and looking after criminals and degenerates without a second thought. I work in a Dublin prison and see that he treats the staff with a suspicion that he wouldn't reserve for someone who assaults and batters OAPs.

I work in homeless services and have met that man a number of times over the years and consistently found him to be arrogant and rude.
    Ive him treat his own staff and staff from other agencies like dog ****e.
    He's retired now but the banana that runs PMVT isn't much better.

His attitude is that homeless addicts , this who I work with , are some how above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why did he have to spend 1000's to remove them? What was he doing with the property that required it to be empty?

They should just wait until the protestors get bored?

spare us the outraged handwringing over any slight on the precious fr mcverry, who loves his platform and should be subject to the criticism that comes with it like anyone else we have to hear pontificating over the airwaves about how bad his flock have it and how good the rest of us have it.

spare us the outraged handwringing over those who want houses but cant afford houses. we're all in that boat to some extent or another.

spare us the outraged handwringing that we're not free after a days working to provide for ourselves and our contribution to the shared pot through taxation that we cant then hop up on a pedestal and go full mick collins on behalf of those that dont. if we all jacked it in to do that, as the criticisms seem to wish for us, would the 'unfortunates' be worse or better off?

without taxation, tithe and charity flowing happily into the coffers of his cushy agency fr mcverry wouldnt be as much use as a single paye-subject working stiff. let his handwringers in this thread and let himself remember it.

• Advertisement

without taxation, tithe and charity flowing happily into the coffers of his cushy agency fr mcverry wouldnt be as much use as a single paye-subject working stiff. let his handwringers in this thread and let himself remember it.

Your own hand ringing done from the annoymintiy of a keyboard. Whereas McV is out there for your criticism.

Advertisement