Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I actually like 1975

227.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'll admit their first album is a guilty pleasure of mine. Second was bleh, but the hype around the new one is just baffling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

maximoose wrote: »
    I'll admit their first album is a guilty pleasure of mine. Second was bleh, but the hype around the new one is just baffling to me.

I gave it a spin and I am with you. Maybe I am old or maybe modern pop music is really sh1t. Either way, no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I gave it a spin and I am with you. Maybe I am old or maybe modern pop music is really sh1t. Either way, no thanks.

I think my issue with it is actually the opposite of this - there is nothing modern about it.

It is a constant stream of rip offs, from Blue Nile to INXS and (at times) even Joy Division/New Order. None of it is as good as those acts and it all sounds very familiar.

I don't have a major issue with the 1975 - if I was there and there was no clash, I could see myself checking them out for half an hour - but I also don't quite get it either, it's not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

The only 1975 track I’ve ever heard was the video posted earlier in the thread. song was utter toss and I hate the singer due to his hair and hipster tats

hating hair and hipster tats is allowed isint it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The only 1975 track I’ve ever heard was the video posted earlier in the thread. song was utter toss and I hate the singer due to his hair and hipster tats

Actively encouraged, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

Speak for yourself, i wouldn't mind a bit of hair
    (its been a long time!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Even aside from the music, The 1975 have the worst album title I have ever seen

"I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Got halfway through it and had to stop. Pretty awful, but as others have said I'd give them a look for 30 mins if nothing on elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Even aside from the music, The 1975 have the worst album title I have ever seen

"I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It"

Isn't that the name of a One Direction song? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Zero interest in the 1975 boys up till now but you lot have me intrigued. A blend of the Blue Nile, INXS, New Order and Joy Division, you say? Off to open my mind.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think my issue with it is actually the opposite of this - there is nothing modern about it.

It is a constant stream of rip offs, from Blue Nile to INXS and (at times) even Joy Division/New Order. None of it is as good as those acts and it all sounds very familiar.

i think thats actually the main problem with "modern pop music".....

its all a re-imagining of stuff thats happened before. its essentially the Pop snake eating itself into ever decreasing circles .

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Zero interest in the 1975 boys up till now but you lot have me intrigued. A blend of the Blue Nile, INXS, New Order and Joy Division, you say? Off to open my mind.

Maybe when they were pre-teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it"
    From Mr. Pratchett.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

started giving the 1975 album a first listen here this morning and a few songs into it already so ill do a quick review if ye dont mind...

1. short "arty" intro song of sounds and acoustic piano with highly distorted auto tuned vocal... slightly risque rapey lyrics

2. catchy, very poppy, would be so much better if they toned down that repetitive security-alarm pitchy guitar which is very much to the front

3. complete rubbish.... will have many remixes appear on 'ibitz summer' albums

4. encouraging lo-fi progressive beginning....3 mins in gets a bit drum n bass, where would have been better off staying "sigur ros" like. not bad though... i like the originality here... circles back to lo-fi to end

5. excellent. production is just perfect here. very strong track. reflects back to the 'hair metal' late 80s.

6. Damian Rice complete rip off, without the strength of lyric. disappointing., as they could have soncially played with this a lot more.

7. what ryan adams would have sounded like if he didnt take drugs... boring..... even the 'jazz lite' brass cant save it.

8. The auto tune is back. think the vocal would have a lot more power without it.. its a pleading song, but hard to take seriously due to the production... which is a pity as its lyrically quite good and powerful. Id like to see what this sounds like live. Good song.

9. wow.... spoken word... in a 'computer generated' style, but obviously only put on. The story is ok, a bit twee, brings nothing new to the "social media is ****e d up" commentary. Filler piece.

10. big brash opening, i can immediatley hear it reverbing around a packed stadium, phone lights in the air... good tune though... KOL circa 5 years ago... which isnt a bad thing at all.

11. mr mister / starship anyone? pure 80's pop, and as typical a "1975" song as there is. Will be a big radio hit i think, not for me though.

12. very understated, breathy song. proof that when they plug out they are actually quite good. Best song on the album so far for me. very simple but polished lyics.

13. smokey bar caberet. not bad at all..... smooth

14. jesus... someone whitewashed this song with Michael Bolton.... complete with cheesey organ, saxaphone and power punching key change.

15. unlike the sharp opener, the final track is a long one. again, they have eased off the production here and its all the better for it. Sonically heavy in the chorus where it needs it.. but havent snow patrol been doing this for years..... strong "phantom of the opera" type ending to the album after 4:30 mark

all in all, id probably go back for a second listen, and have on in the back ground, but there are definitely songs there that id skip quick sharp.
    Theres even a hint of this being a *whisper it* 'concept album'.
    for me, when they move away from the EDM tinted heavy production i think they're actually quite good.
    I know nothing about the band but there appears to me two clear lyricists going by this album, and one is clearly superior to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Judes wrote: »

Fair play, Judes. Let's just call it a shed then, eh? It's a broad and welcoming church. Last year, if I'm not mistaken, there was even a general agreement that teenagers were alright.

And I got to the Boardsie Meet up Zone - very late this year - but of course I then thought - how the hell do we recognise each other - so methinx something "obvious" to show we're the older boardsie muso nerds (not a red striped jumper) in 2019. :D

And what's the prob with The 1975 they were on in 2016 - I thought they were OK at the time. Let the guessing battle begin :-)

everlast75 wrote: »
    usually get them at the EP the morning after a dodgy kebab....

Obviously not fussy about their venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Heard a rumour that Radiohead are headlining Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wasn't it something like 8 years between 2017 gig and their last gig here? Dunno would they play here again after just 2 years but would be class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

stop that now! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I heard it was daft punk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

OK the Radiohead thing was a bad joke, Smashing Pumpkins might be more realistic, they have just announced a lot of festival dates in the Nordic countries. Nothing for the UK and Ireland yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

OK the Radiohead thing was a bad joke, Smashing Pumpkins might be more realistic, they have just announced a lot of festival dates in the Nordic countries. Nothing for the UK and Ireland yet though

Smashing Pumpkins...yes please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins...yes please!!

Unless they're convinced to stay longer by doing e.g. Sziget/ Reading + Leeds or some of the other August fests I don't see this happening.

Reckon one off gig weekend on June 14th or 15th in Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Doves supporting Noel Gallagher, probably puts them out of EP.
    Which is a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    started giving the 1975 album a first listen here this morning and a few songs into it already so ill do a quick review if ye dont mind...
    4. encouraging lo-fi progressive beginning....3 mins in gets a bit drum n bass, where would have been better off staying "sigur ros" like. not bad though... i like the originality here... circles back to lo-fi to end

8. The auto tune is back. think the vocal would have a lot more power without it.. its a pleading song, but hard to take seriously due to the production... which is a pity as its lyrically quite good and powerful. Id like to see what this sounds like live. Good song.

9. wow.... spoken word... in a 'computer generated' style, but obviously only put on. The story is ok, a bit twee, brings nothing new to the "social media is ****e d up" commentary. Filler piece.
    Track 4 is about the least original thing on there IMO, it sounds like they broke into Jon Hopkins' studio and stole one of his songs. could barely be more of a rip-off if they tried.

track 8 sounds like a copy of a song on Bon Iver's last album.

9 is basically Radiohead's Fitter Happier for the the internet age.

most of the rest of the album is bland and forgettable as ****.

TOOTIMETOO.... is bloody awful.

Love It If We Made It is pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If the Primavera lineup is indicative of who is touring this summer it doesn't inspire much confidence for Irish festivals this summer! Usually they have such a strong lineup but this year it seems pretty week (although lots of acts I don't know). At least EP is the opposite end of the summer so different acts will probably be touring by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

If the Primavera lineup is indicative of who is touring this summer it doesn't inspire much confidence for Irish festivals this summer! Usually they have such a strong lineup but this year it seems pretty week (although lots of acts I don't know). At least EP is the opposite end of the summer so different acts will probably be touring by then.

It's not a pretty picture. Although I'm keen to see Janelle Monet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, got early birds but wasnt gonna be able to go. Kinda glad its a bit weak now haha

Tame impala return to FF?

• Advertisement

Usually little crossover. Usually bad for us. Could be the first time in a decade that EP outdoes PS.

Advertisement