Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

rubick wrote: »
    HELLO YA FRICKIN' NERDS...!
    Have spent the past day and a half on the couch watching 30 Rock and The Larry Sanders Show, celebrating all that pizza we ate in Palameto by ordering yet more pizza! Great to read all the reviews on here from the punters that matter!

THURSDAY - "WE LEAVE AT DAYBREAK!"

Well, about 11am anyway, a fine run from Antrim to Laois in just under three hours with a full load of canisters and headful of ideas. We're the 5th car in the row at Green Carpark, although not in the same field as the new crowd control barriers are there. We unpack, duct tape up the FestivalMaster400 and it's off to the match. We seen someone who we think was bodhrandude in the crowd just before crossing the road, but he's looking for a Dave from Cork and obviously busy, so we don't chase up to him.

As suspected, we're directed round the outskirts of the festival, in front of the new Wilde and Chaplin campsites through the magical barrier to Eco Narnia. We're the first one here, by the Recycling Hammer of Thor! Setting up a little further down the Chaplin hedge than last year, we've the tent up for around 5.30pm and have a few smugness cans and pizza from out in the area before the Freetown. Our neighbours arrive and joyously it's heads we were set up to for the last few years, so we know there aren't going to be any issues with dickheadery.

We can't get into Salty Dog through the Freetown entrance, because that would be far too handy, so we pack up a rake of cans and head into Warhol/Hendrix and head in that way on a road that doesn't look like we're allowed on it but walking with purpose like we own the place we're in to Salty Dog from behind the stage, missing the Vulpines but just in time for Mauntauk Hotel, who are great and becoming something of a Thursday tradition. We decide to have a reasonably early night but, again walking with purpose, we dander straight in to a completely deserted Freetown having a sneak peek and pretending to hold clipboards. Terminus is a behemoth, must be at least the same size as the John Peel Tent at Glastonbury. We get back through to Eco through the still closed Freetown exit, because we're staff now apparently. A few late cans with the neighbours and we’re all set for the punters arriving on Friday.

FRIDAY – “IS HER NAME PRONOUNCED ‘LENS’ or ‘LENS’?”

No lies lads, I was getting it a little tight on the Friday morning, and there’s a brave hole in the canister stack. We breakfast in Chaplin as punters arrive, it doesn’t seem too chaotic but then again there’s already a fair few here – if the 10,000 Early Entry Passes number is accurate it would seem about right. We decide to head in to the main arena to procure ye olde newe t-shirt with the 2019 barding and a Kinara, because we know how these things work. It’s nearly 2pm so we’re surprised to find that only the food markets area seems to be open and we can’t get down to Kinara Kitchen or the merch, not even as fake staffers with excellent danders. Back to trailer park for a wander and pizza before legging it back to the tent for a few cans and back in for These Charming Men, which we’re delighted to find has a much better crowd than the previous night’s acts seem to suffer. There is singing, merriment and much hugging of a bunch of Boardies at the end of the set, who we recognise by their t-shirts and are warmed by their civility!

Having nothing much on in the afternoon we wander round the markets, Village Green and Body & Soul until Praise Eris, the main stage opens and we can finally feast on a Kinara! I’m not sure what the delay in opening that half of the festival was but it’ll need addressed I think. After seeing a little of Billie Eilish on the main stage (not our thing, but she seemed to make a lot of youngsters happy and the kids are alright IMO), we dander again and spend a while in The Haunt were there’s rockabilly being blasted out to enthusiastic punters amongst what appears to be less bric-a-brack than last year and I’m pretty sure one less wall round the comfy sates. En route back round to Terminus we’re accosted by the Techno Toaster and Vaniel O’Donnell in Trailer Park to much laughter, I get my picture taken with Daniel and Majella and off to Ameile Lens in Terminus. She is absolutely ballistic, rarely have I heard techno like it in my 42 years. What a reaction to her closing tunes.

I head into the Woods for some Late Club antics at Anachronica and for the first time Paul Woolford a few years ago I get down to the very front, which is great and all but then you have to get back out again. There’s a scene missing as I auto-pilot back to Eco but the important thing is I made it, and just before the rain comes.

SATURDAY – “EVERYTHING’S HAPPENING AT ONCE HERE.”

A day on the dander once again after a few morning cans and great food from the Argentinian Grill joint in Providencia finds us just lounging around Body & Soul and Village Hall, before Trailer park for the traditional viewing of Interskalactic, then even more bloody techno lads, and a welcome return to Stradbally for Ritchie Hawtin, which is different techno than Amelie Lens’ techno (a softer, clipped beat rather than the rounder, fatter blatters from Lens), the Electric Arena is buzzing and we keep hearing the old track ‘Spastik’ that Hawtin made under his Plasticman alias back in the day being teased. We’re even more surprised at how much energy we have at our time of lives (well, I shouldn’t speak for Mrs. Rubick here, definitely myself!). We decide to nip over for Echo & the Bunnymen which we really didn’t think much of, the first few tunes anyway. I really hope the rest of the set was much better. It worked out really well for us as we got the whole hit of a complete set from Sons of Kemet, which for me for set of the weekend. I urge you all to try to get to see these four lads if at all possible. One sax, one tuba, two drum kits and an energy most techno outfits would struggle to match!

After Sons of Kemet and with much less energy we had a juke back down to the Electric Arena for some of Four Tet’s set, which was chugging along nicely and at a much more manageable pace. Time for one of my most anticipated sets of the festival, as Lamb were limbering up on the Body & Soul stage. I have absolutely no shame in telling you that by the time they played ‘Goreki’ I was in floods of joyous tears; it was one of those “Jeez lads, that’s the festival over” moments. I take a moment, say goodbyes to the Boardsies there present (shout out to Kepler21 for the wee whiskey assist!) and despite it being my ninth Picnic still manage to walk out of Body and Soul the wrong direction and have to take a detour through round the outside back to Salty/Dog, Freetown and home to basecamp.

SUNDAY – “OK, WHO HAD ‘CROWDSURFING 2019’ IN THE WORDSEARCH?”

It’s a grand soft day, so we clear up the rest of our canisters chatting to the neighbours in Eco, grab an Eco t-shirt/oak sapling planted in our honour and we’re on the last circuit, getting that glum but content feeling that washes over you of a Sunday Picnic. We watch a few bands in Body & Soul then make our merry way to Johnny Marr who puts in a shift that goes above and beyond mere rock stardom. I feel that judging by the comments on the thread re: The Strokes frontman the latter could learn a bit from Johnny, who comes in to see us as promised when the sound goes off for a power nap. A great mix of Marr/The Smiths/Electronic and even a Depeche Mode cover and you’d be hard pressed to find a louder reaction at that time of the day on the site.

Post-Marr there was actually quite a delay in stage times, so after securing a free Applemans or two (incredible how many of these were not used and just thrown away – think we had at least five across the weekend), we got back down for what we thought would be Roisin Murphy but was the last half-hour of J HUS’ set – a pleasant surpise! Roisin was incredible too, picking up the Most Wardobe In Show prize that I just made up. After handing around a bit, with the Electric Arena full, Mike Skinner weaves his way through the crowd and on to the stage, hood up but arms open. We laugh, we think, we hug people we don’t know and those we do a little harder. There’s four bottles of champagne before the wheels come off. There’s a girl who is asked to crowdsurf by our host and complies, a bottle of champers her reward, but she’s after losing her phone.

“Well, that’s not good, is it?”, states Skinner, but as if by festival magic she has it back in hand within ten minutes. You hear all the horror stories about the campsites but the magic like this (and Marr getting his trainer back post-surf) is just amazing to me. Gratifying to know that the legends amongst the 57,500 probably outweigh the sh*tbricks. Must be over as Skinner has the hood up. Time to leave. “Is there a drum ‘n bass tent?”, cries Mike. I wish there was mate.
    And that was all she wrote for us, tiredness set in, last farewells on the journey back to Eco (and annoyingly running into the post-Terminus rush with punters not able to get to the Woods from in there), that was another successful Picnic in the books.

TL:DR

Co Down man and Co Derry woman Likes This.

Highlights:
    Mauntauk Hotel, Powpig, Amelie f**kin’ Lens, Johnny f**kin’ Marr, Sons of Kemet, The Streets, The Eco Campsite

Complaints:
    Some traffic violations, and it’s too far away until the next one.

Shout out to all the Boardsies we met, total Picnic Enhancers the lot of ye.

Spot on Rubick, that was indeed me looking for Dave from Cork, I had just finished my last shift and must have walked a kilometre or two from Gate 1A to the Green car park and was selling an EP ticket for a mate who managed to buy a crew pass. I eventually found Dave outside the queue in the field. So an unintentional boards meet. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭rubick

Spot on Rubick, that was indeed me looking for Dave from Cork, I had just finished my last shift and must have walked a kilometre or two from Gate 1A to the Green car park and was selling an EP ticket for a mate who managed to buy a crew pass. I eventually found Dave outside the queue in the field. So an unintentional boards meet. :)

Ah, good man yerself - doing the good work before we were even on site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭rubick

Kepler21 wrote: »
    Rubick, you are one of the great Picnic enhancers. The enthusiasm with which you enjoy the music rubs off on everyone around. Such a joy to share the Lamb moment (and others) with you and Mrs. Rubick.

Was great to meet you fella, we'd a great oul run at a few shows there! You'll know where we are set up next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

what was the crowd like at metronomy? the 4 new songs are brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Caught a few songs nand were great decent crowd and good atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Friday's selection of video clips destined for my oul blog.

Miles Kane

Jarvis Cocker (2 Videos)

Rake the ashes at Spike Island.

Zera performing at the Dirty Circus.

Amelie Lens.

Scary Eire (two clips) one taken from new seating area at Salty dog.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ficcss

So when does the 2020 thread start? Exactly a year away now! Less if you decide to go up early!

Let the countdown begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Finally have some time to write this. BTW, love the idea of putting up a review as you can look back on them as like a note to yourself in years to come. :)

So the festival itself:

Arrived up on the Friday evening and shamefully missed the memo on the bluetooth speakers. Brought in my JBL Charge 3 which is a mid sized thing, and had to decide whether to let them confiscate the thing or run back through 3 fields to put it back into my car. Thought because it cost 100e it was worth the exercise but I was tempted to chuck it as was such the buzz of wanting to get in and get going. One of my mates pitched up mine and about 8 other tents on the Thursday, and when we landed we had no idea where it was and nor did my friends (myself and GF ended up staying in his large tent all weekend). You would've thought we'd worry about that kind of thing but we honestly couldn't have cared less. Got fairly thrashed on the Friday night. Stayed in the Wilde campsite which was up our alley as we love our tunes and there was a big crowd of us. Went into see Kettama in the Terminus to start with for 9. Tent was feckin huge and the sound was montrous. Enjoyed that, made a beeline for Hozier then for the main stage with the GF. Heard some people with conflicting thoughts on him but thought he was very good. Pretty hazy after this but I'm pretty sure we made appearances at the Heineken tent which was mega (I distinctly remember having my brother on my shoulders who's 6 foot 2 and me 5f 9 bouncing around for the craic at some stage), Casa Bacardi, and we finished in the rave in the woods. At one stage we had a quick drink in the AIB tent place (I believe this is what it was called) which was really niche but cool too. Ended staying up pretty late. Got really cold that night, was happy to get to bed.

~

Woke up Saturday with the worst hangover of the weekend. Battled through and took a stroll through Freetown for some food seeing as how the food vendors in the campsite itself were an hour cue at least (baffled me that there was food stalls just a few mins away yet they would rather que this long instead). Place really was dead, however the location and stuff on offer didn't do itself any favours I thought. All I seen was food stalls, and a Tequila tent which was a guy with a bottle and a few shot glasses. It was also directly outside the Wilde campsite, where the majority of people in it are going for your Casa Bacardi area and will happily bypass most else. Seen Years & Years for 4pm. The sun had come out strong at this stage and the crowd and all was great. Enjoyed them a lot. Made my way over to one of the fun fair rides (the one the goes up either side while turning which I got a great laugh out of - just literally laughed the entire way through. Got to see a fantastic reggae band around 6:30. Their name escapes me but there was what looked like 10 of them in the band with different ethnicities, and the small crowd that was there was going nuts. Man gave me a Rocky and Bullwinkle hat there which I got great banter out of. Spent the rest of the night at some trad gig, Casa Bacardi to see Boots & Kats, The 1975 who were very good, and finished at the Rave in the woods.

~

Got up Sunday morning fairly steamed, had a good bit of rum and coke with the breakfast which I continued drinking for most of the day. Spent most of the afternoon drinking in the tent and bating out the tunes going mad with more mates who made there way up for the one day. Spent a good bit of time in the Salty dog and Body & Soul for the evening - really got great vibes off these places over the weekend. Parts of the evening are pretty hazy. Made sure to see the half hour set for N Trance which was a great oul laugh. They know how to get the crowd going anyway. Went over to Florence then. GF wanted to see them more than myself as I'm the guy who only knows a handful of tunes. They were good, but had too many silence in patches for my liking. Without a doubt the place of the evening for us and the group was the Today FM Soundgarden. Bounced around at different times in this place for several hours over the evening. Didn't even bother with Casa Bacardi it was so good. Made our way towards the Salty Dog and chilled there for a while. Was gonna pop into the Berlin but said screw it with the size of the que (it was particularly bad at this time, this night as you can imagine). Was pretty bummed at around 2am as all I had left was my card and many places was cash only + the ATM was all out apparently. Spent a good chunk of time searching around the place for alcohol but to no avail. Ended in familiar style to the Rave in the Woods. As soon as that was over I was honestly just sober and was ready for bedtime.

---

All I can say about the weekend is that it was absolutely brilliant and so well run. At lunchtime I got into my car and said I'd treat myself for lunch seeing how utterly depressed I've been today and (most especially) yesterday. I was daydreaming that I'd give anything to be back at EP with my mates at the campsite, just before going in knocking off the cans. Kept getting horrible bangs of withdrawal symptoms. Felt similar after other festivals, but seeing as this one was my first EP and absolutely loved it + that it's the last hurrah of the summer, I felt like crying at every opportunity. Genuinely had the time of my life and will be up first thing Saturday morning to get my tickets for next year. I'll also most definitely bring more cash, hide the bloody speaker in the bottom of my bag next time, and also bring a trolley to cart around my things. Live and learn eh. Never found the tent after. I hope whoever stayed in it brought it with them and didn't leave a mess haha.

Hope everyone had a blast and isn't getting the festival blues like me too bad. Miss the place so much! Only 360 odd days to go. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi folks if anyone gets a code for 3 picnics they aren't using I'd be so grateful if you sent it my way. I've been to 7 of them but didnt book them all using my email address :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Okay I told Rfrip and others that I would do a bit of a comparison between my EP and ATN experience, was going to start a general festival thread but probably the wrong time of year for it really when everything is winding down.

Crowd: 25k vs 60k, some people will prefer bigger and some will prefer smaller I guess. ATN has attracted a lovely crowd both years in fairness, it is more mature, less agro, more into the music in general I feel. The majority of the EP crowd now are there for the event and the majority of the regular campsites are probably under 25 now, however I honestly don't feel like this takes away from the festival too much, there is space for both to coexist and as others pointed out it almost feels like two festivals running side by side now.

Lineup: The EP lineup really disappointed me this year, I don't think there was any announcement where I didn't feel let down by, maybe that is my own fault but with at least 50% of the main stage announcements now it is music aimed towards the teenager crowd. It is nice with ATN that you know they are not going to announce any of the Coronas, Gavin James, Kodaline etc. You are never going to like all of the lineup of course, but at least with ATN it feels there is the possibility that you might. The depth of the EP lineup is what saves it though, at the weekend I was rarely stuck for something to go to. There is just so much going on all the time you are bound to find something you like. This one is too hard to call a winner.

Organisation: EP have it nailed down. This year it felt like they were almost showing off with so many of the small but nice touches around the site like extra noise blockers, cleaner toilets, bigger screens etc. They have the advantage in that it has been going for 15 years but ATN really need to get their act together as the organisation was terrible in comparison this year at least.

Camping: I guess this goes hand in hand with crowd, but at ATN I feel you would be unlucky to camp next to bad neighbours whereas at EP it feels the opposite. If it weren't for things like Pink Moon, Eco camping, clean camping etc at Picnic then I would seriously question if I would go again, and this is a factor in me going in future as getting access or tickets to these campsites is not guaranteed. Facilities wise EP is better but they have to cater for the larger numbers.

Stages: Again no comparison for me here, EP wins by a country mile. Salty Dog, Trenchtown, Trailer Park, Grannies Gaff, Body & Soul.. all such great places to catch a gig and the setting is amazing. ATN has Arcadia, Bandstand etc but they do not come close IMO and they all feel a bit bland. Maybe it will improve in future but no contest here.

Atmosphere: Arguably the most important thing on this list for many people I would guess. There is a really nice atmosphere at ATN and if you are going solely for the music, I would think maybe it is a better place to catch a gig (more respectful crowd, less busy), however it does not have the magic that EP does. In fairness I don't think I have ever been to a festival that does have that same magic. The atmosphere at EP is truly special, it is probably a combination of all of the factors above but the more diverse crowd adds to the atmosphere IMO rather than takes it away. ATN feels a bit flatter probably as a result of having an older crowd at it.

Overall: I don't think anything in this country can compete with Electric Picnic as a whole package. There are thousands of ways someone can do EP which make it completely flexible to cater to what you want, I don't know if the same can be said for ATN. The easiest way to describe it for me, is that EP feels like an entire other world that you can get lost in, whereas ATN feels like you are just at a festival for the weekend (albeit a very good one!).

My biggest issue with EP is that in order for me to have the magical weekend I just had again, I will need to splash out on a ticket this weekend (they will sell out instantly again I presume) and then I will need to be quick off the mark with either Pink Moon (more money) or Eco Camping (haven't done this before). That is not going to happen this weekend and as I said before I will probably be (extremely reluctantly) giving EP a miss in 2020, whereas I will more than likely be reappearing at ATN.

Interested to hear how others think the two compare and which one you will be attending next year (there is room for both :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭endainoz

No comparison for me, I already said here that I won't be returning to ATN next year. After that overall sh1tshow In Waterford, I was going to make sure I enjoyed myself at EP this year which I definitely did!

It was the first year I stayed up relatively later than I normally do. Was in the village hall for all of Robot Rock on Friday night, cheers to whoever recommended them on here!

Out of interest actually, I gave the opinion among our crew that a good number of the people who stay up till 4am each night are normally ones who get up late in the afternoon and don't start as early each day. Sure there are obviously some narcotics involved, or is it maybe the I'm just getting old?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Finally have some time to write this. BTW, love the idea of putting up a review as you can look back on them as like a note to yourself in years to come. :)

So true! I emailed all the reviews I've done of it over the years to myself...ya know, in case Boards doesn't survive the zombie apocalypse. It's great to give them a read every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Thanks Ferris!! Great comparison!
    It’s true what you say about magic at ep. It is like going to another place entirely for the weekend
    When the car is parked up, it’s like a pure playground for me where I can completely let loose for the weekend with my best friends. It’s not like going away on holidays or anything like that!
    I’d love to give ATN a go but there’s no way I could do two so close together. I’m still not right yet after ep and I don’t think il ever give up on ep
    Another thought I had was every year I say to myself after watching Glastonbury on the tv, next year il try get tickets....but I’m completely kod after ep, 56kms we covered, there’s no way I could do Glastonbury....and year after year I ain’t getting any younger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I would have thought that King Kong's gig in body and soul would have been mentioned in the reviews, I've never seen a whole arena shut down before due to crowds, and that was even before they started. I was lucky to get in, and when I saw the crowd at Body and Soul it made complete sense, couldn't even get in to see the stage for the first half, it was packed as can be. I heard that the crowd broke through the barriers several times despite the best efforts of the security and guards. That's some following to have! People were breaking in through every part to go see them.

Surely that's worth writing copy about, not giving a list of who thought Stradbally was in Dublin!

The Streets, and Johanny Mar were too top notch shows, with two great frontmen, didn't see any mention of them either.

It's rare but I've seen it happen. Twice at Glastonbury - Radiohead's secret gig at the Park Stage in 2011 and Chic's first appearance there at West Holts in 2013. Handled very well both times.

Wasn't around for the KKC set (they don't do it for me) but their following is clearly enormous and it sounds like an unsafe booking, even with an earlier EA slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

'The easiest way to describe it for me, is that EP feels like an entire other world that you can get lost in, whereas ATN feels like you are just at a festival for the weekend (albeit a very good one'!)'

Nail on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Really noticed a 'sheep like' mentality this year! It seemed like the entire population was heading to the one spot! (Usually the main stage) which is a bit worrying that they haven't bothered to discover the line up!

Also don't OV/Three Made B M, acts normally play twice over the weekend, once say opening cosby/Rankins and the other closing OV.
    It left lots of upcoming acts headling/subbing three made by music to 20 ppl, at a time in their development where they should be getting more exposure! If I was an artist that travelled from the UK promised a stage headline at EP and there was 20 ppl at it, I'd consider packing it in!!

rubick wrote: »
    HELLO YA FRICKIN' NERDS...!
    Have spent the past day and a half on the couch watching 30 Rock and The Larry Sanders Show, celebrating all that pizza we ate in Palameto by ordering yet more pizza! Great to read all the reviews on here from the punters that matter!

THURSDAY - "WE LEAVE AT DAYBREAK!"

Well, about 11am anyway, a fine run from Antrim to Laois in just under three hours with a full load of canisters and headful of ideas. We're the 5th car in the row at Green Carpark, although not in the same field as the new crowd control barriers are there. We unpack, duct tape up the FestivalMaster400 and it's off to the match. We seen someone who we think was bodhrandude in the crowd just before crossing the road, but he's looking for a Dave from Cork and obviously busy, so we don't chase up to him.

As suspected, we're directed round the outskirts of the festival, in front of the new Wilde and Chaplin campsites through the magical barrier to Eco Narnia. We're the first one here, by the Recycling Hammer of Thor! Setting up a little further down the Chaplin hedge than last year, we've the tent up for around 5.30pm and have a few smugness cans and pizza from out in the area before the Freetown. Our neighbours arrive and joyously it's heads we were set up to for the last few years, so we know there aren't going to be any issues with dickheadery.

We can't get into Salty Dog through the Freetown entrance, because that would be far too handy, so we pack up a rake of cans and head into Warhol/Hendrix and head in that way on a road that doesn't look like we're allowed on it but walking with purpose like we own the place we're in to Salty Dog from behind the stage, missing the Vulpines but just in time for Mauntauk Hotel, who are great and becoming something of a Thursday tradition. We decide to have a reasonably early night but, again walking with purpose, we dander straight in to a completely deserted Freetown having a sneak peek and pretending to hold clipboards. Terminus is a behemoth, must be at least the same size as the John Peel Tent at Glastonbury. We get back through to Eco through the still closed Freetown exit, because we're staff now apparently. A few late cans with the neighbours and we’re all set for the punters arriving on Friday.

FRIDAY – “IS HER NAME PRONOUNCED ‘LENS’ or ‘LENS’?”

No lies lads, I was getting it a little tight on the Friday morning, and there’s a brave hole in the canister stack. We breakfast in Chaplin as punters arrive, it doesn’t seem too chaotic but then again there’s already a fair few here – if the 10,000 Early Entry Passes number is accurate it would seem about right. We decide to head in to the main arena to procure ye olde newe t-shirt with the 2019 barding and a Kinara, because we know how these things work. It’s nearly 2pm so we’re surprised to find that only the food markets area seems to be open and we can’t get down to Kinara Kitchen or the merch, not even as fake staffers with excellent danders. Back to trailer park for a wander and pizza before legging it back to the tent for a few cans and back in for These Charming Men, which we’re delighted to find has a much better crowd than the previous night’s acts seem to suffer. There is singing, merriment and much hugging of a bunch of Boardies at the end of the set, who we recognise by their t-shirts and are warmed by their civility!

Having nothing much on in the afternoon we wander round the markets, Village Green and Body & Soul until Praise Eris, the main stage opens and we can finally feast on a Kinara! I’m not sure what the delay in opening that half of the festival was but it’ll need addressed I think. After seeing a little of Billie Eilish on the main stage (not our thing, but she seemed to make a lot of youngsters happy and the kids are alright IMO), we dander again and spend a while in The Haunt were there’s rockabilly being blasted out to enthusiastic punters amongst what appears to be less bric-a-brack than last year and I’m pretty sure one less wall round the comfy sates. En route back round to Terminus we’re accosted by the Techno Toaster and Vaniel O’Donnell in Trailer Park to much laughter, I get my picture taken with Daniel and Majella and off to Ameile Lens in Terminus. She is absolutely ballistic, rarely have I heard techno like it in my 42 years. What a reaction to her closing tunes.

I head into the Woods for some Late Club antics at Anachronica and for the first time Paul Woolford a few years ago I get down to the very front, which is great and all but then you have to get back out again. There’s a scene missing as I auto-pilot back to Eco but the important thing is I made it, and just before the rain comes.

SATURDAY – “EVERYTHING’S HAPPENING AT ONCE HERE.”

A day on the dander once again after a few morning cans and great food from the Argentinian Grill joint in Providencia finds us just lounging around Body & Soul and Village Hall, before Trailer park for the traditional viewing of Interskalactic, then even more bloody techno lads, and a welcome return to Stradbally for Ritchie Hawtin, which is different techno than Amelie Lens’ techno (a softer, clipped beat rather than the rounder, fatter blatters from Lens), the Electric Arena is buzzing and we keep hearing the old track ‘Spastik’ that Hawtin made under his Plasticman alias back in the day being teased. We’re even more surprised at how much energy we have at our time of lives (well, I shouldn’t speak for Mrs. Rubick here, definitely myself!). We decide to nip over for Echo & the Bunnymen which we really didn’t think much of, the first few tunes anyway. I really hope the rest of the set was much better. It worked out really well for us as we got the whole hit of a complete set from Sons of Kemet, which for me for set of the weekend. I urge you all to try to get to see these four lads if at all possible. One sax, one tuba, two drum kits and an energy most techno outfits would struggle to match!

After Sons of Kemet and with much less energy we had a juke back down to the Electric Arena for some of Four Tet’s set, which was chugging along nicely and at a much more manageable pace. Time for one of my most anticipated sets of the festival, as Lamb were limbering up on the Body & Soul stage. I have absolutely no shame in telling you that by the time they played ‘Goreki’ I was in floods of joyous tears; it was one of those “Jeez lads, that’s the festival over” moments. I take a moment, say goodbyes to the Boardsies there present (shout out to Kepler21 for the wee whiskey assist!) and despite it being my ninth Picnic still manage to walk out of Body and Soul the wrong direction and have to take a detour through round the outside back to Salty/Dog, Freetown and home to basecamp.

SUNDAY – “OK, WHO HAD ‘CROWDSURFING 2019’ IN THE WORDSEARCH?”

It’s a grand soft day, so we clear up the rest of our canisters chatting to the neighbours in Eco, grab an Eco t-shirt/oak sapling planted in our honour and we’re on the last circuit, getting that glum but content feeling that washes over you of a Sunday Picnic. We watch a few bands in Body & Soul then make our merry way to Johnny Marr who puts in a shift that goes above and beyond mere rock stardom. I feel that judging by the comments on the thread re: The Strokes frontman the latter could learn a bit from Johnny, who comes in to see us as promised when the sound goes off for a power nap. A great mix of Marr/The Smiths/Electronic and even a Depeche Mode cover and you’d be hard pressed to find a louder reaction at that time of the day on the site.

Post-Marr there was actually quite a delay in stage times, so after securing a free Applemans or two (incredible how many of these were not used and just thrown away – think we had at least five across the weekend), we got back down for what we thought would be Roisin Murphy but was the last half-hour of J HUS’ set – a pleasant surpise! Roisin was incredible too, picking up the Most Wardobe In Show prize that I just made up. After handing around a bit, with the Electric Arena full, Mike Skinner weaves his way through the crowd and on to the stage, hood up but arms open. We laugh, we think, we hug people we don’t know and those we do a little harder. There’s four bottles of champagne before the wheels come off. There’s a girl who is asked to crowdsurf by our host and complies, a bottle of champers her reward, but she’s after losing her phone.

“Well, that’s not good, is it?”, states Skinner, but as if by festival magic she has it back in hand within ten minutes. You hear all the horror stories about the campsites but the magic like this (and Marr getting his trainer back post-surf) is just amazing to me. Gratifying to know that the legends amongst the 57,500 probably outweigh the sh*tbricks. Must be over as Skinner has the hood up. Time to leave. “Is there a drum ‘n bass tent?”, cries Mike. I wish there was mate.
    And that was all she wrote for us, tiredness set in, last farewells on the journey back to Eco (and annoyingly running into the post-Terminus rush with punters not able to get to the Woods from in there), that was another successful Picnic in the books.

TL:DR

Co Down man and Co Derry woman Likes This.

Highlights:
    Mauntauk Hotel, Powpig, Amelie f**kin’ Lens, Johnny f**kin’ Marr, Sons of Kemet, The Streets, The Eco Campsite

Complaints:
    Some traffic violations, and it’s too far away until the next one.

Shout out to all the Boardsies we met, total Picnic Enhancers the lot of ye.

Fab Rubick, just fab. And a pleasure to meet you at different stages. Your smiles and hugs added much to EP 2019.

Friday's selection of video clips destined for my oul blog.

Miles Kane

Jarvis Cocker (2 Videos)

Rake the ashes at Spike Island.

Zera performing at the Dirty Circus.

Amelie Lens.

Scary Eire (two clips) one taken from new seating area at Salty dog.

How is Stillill42 not in that Spike Island vid?

Okay I told Rfrip and others that I would do a bit of a comparison between my EP and ATN experience, was going to start a general festival thread but probably the wrong time of year for it really when everything is winding down.

Crowd: 25k vs 60k, some people will prefer bigger and some will prefer smaller I guess. ATN has attracted a lovely crowd both years in fairness, it is more mature, less agro, more into the music in general I feel. The majority of the EP crowd now are there for the event and the majority of the regular campsites are probably under 25 now, however I honestly don't feel like this takes away from the festival too much, there is space for both to coexist and as others pointed out it almost feels like two festivals running side by side now.

Lineup: The EP lineup really disappointed me this year, I don't think there was any announcement where I didn't feel let down by, maybe that is my own fault but with at least 50% of the main stage announcements now it is music aimed towards the teenager crowd. It is nice with ATN that you know they are not going to announce any of the Coronas, Gavin James, Kodaline etc. You are never going to like all of the lineup of course, but at least with ATN it feels there is the possibility that you might. The depth of the EP lineup is what saves it though, at the weekend I was rarely stuck for something to go to. There is just so much going on all the time you are bound to find something you like. This one is too hard to call a winner.

Organisation: EP have it nailed down. This year it felt like they were almost showing off with so many of the small but nice touches around the site like extra noise blockers, cleaner toilets, bigger screens etc. They have the advantage in that it has been going for 15 years but ATN really need to get their act together as the organisation was terrible in comparison this year at least.

Camping: I guess this goes hand in hand with crowd, but at ATN I feel you would be unlucky to camp next to bad neighbours whereas at EP it feels the opposite. If it weren't for things like Pink Moon, Eco camping, clean camping etc at Picnic then I would seriously question if I would go again, and this is a factor in me going in future as getting access or tickets to these campsites is not guaranteed. Facilities wise EP is better but they have to cater for the larger numbers.

Stages: Again no comparison for me here, EP wins by a country mile. Salty Dog, Trenchtown, Trailer Park, Grannies Gaff, Body & Soul.. all such great places to catch a gig and the setting is amazing. ATN has Arcadia, Bandstand etc but they do not come close IMO and they all feel a bit bland. Maybe it will improve in future but no contest here.

Atmosphere: Arguably the most important thing on this list for many people I would guess. There is a really nice atmosphere at ATN and if you are going solely for the music, I would think maybe it is a better place to catch a gig (more respectful crowd, less busy), however it does not have the magic that EP does. In fairness I don't think I have ever been to a festival that does have that same magic. The atmosphere at EP is truly special, it is probably a combination of all of the factors above but the more diverse crowd adds to the atmosphere IMO rather than takes it away. ATN feels a bit flatter probably as a result of having an older crowd at it.

Overall: I don't think anything in this country can compete with Electric Picnic as a whole package. There are thousands of ways someone can do EP which make it completely flexible to cater to what you want, I don't know if the same can be said for ATN. The easiest way to describe it for me, is that EP feels like an entire other world that you can get lost in, whereas ATN feels like you are just at a festival for the weekend (albeit a very good one!).

My biggest issue with EP is that in order for me to have the magical weekend I just had again, I will need to splash out on a ticket this weekend (they will sell out instantly again I presume) and then I will need to be quick off the mark with either Pink Moon (more money) or Eco Camping (haven't done this before). That is not going to happen this weekend and as I said before I will probably be (extremely reluctantly) giving EP a miss in 2020, whereas I will more than likely be reappearing at ATN.

Interested to hear how others think the two compare and which one you will be attending next year (there is room for both :D)

EP for me. Bottom line is the music and EP always delivers. My greatest yearly disappointment is the sheer number of acts I'll have to miss owing to the volume of impressive stuff on offer. I also enjoy dropping in to see acts I'd never pay €40/50 to see but who put on decent performances - Billie Eilish, Rag n Bone Man, Charli XCX & Sigrid in the last two Picnics.

There's also no way I'd take a chance on ATN unless 2020 resolves the fiascos of this year - improvements re traffic, early entry, food queues, toilets, bins and gaps between acts necessary before I'd submit myself to the potential stress of a dispiriting weekend. Age relevant too as I'll tolerate a lot less now than in my twenties or thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    EP for me. Bottom line is the music and EP always delivers. My greatest yearly disappointment is the sheer number of acts I'll have to miss owing to the volume of impressive stuff on offer. I also enjoy dropping in to see acts I'd never pay €40/50 to see but who put on decent performances - Billie Eilish, Rag n Bone Man, Charli XCX & Sigrid in the last two Picnics.

There's also no way I'd take a chance on ATN unless 2020 resolves the fiascos of this year - improvements re traffic, early entry, food queues, toilets, bins and gaps between acts necessary before I'd submit myself to the potential stress of a dispiriting weekend. Age relevant too as I'll tolerate a lot less now than in my twenties or thirties.

I'm in my early thirties and decided against ATN for similar reasons.

God knows how picky ill be in my forties. Maybe I'll end up becoming a recluse, get kerala kitchen delivery and go to the festival via VR simulation with a fridge full of craft beers ready and chilled.

Hope the whole loyalty email thing works out as I'm on holiday in Poland and can't walk to ticketmaster with my past wristbands.

I have faith. And Perogi

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    It's rare but I've seen it happen. Twice at Glastonbury - Radiohead's secret gig at the Park Stage in 2011 and Chic's first appearance there at West Holts in 2013. Handled very well both times.

Wasn't around for the KKC set (they don't do it for me) but their following is clearly enormous and it sounds like an unsafe booking, even with an earlier EA slot.

I can't understand why the late KKC gig wasn't in Freetown/terminus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Brilliant , we loved it anyway , seriously funky tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

How does one get over the depression after EP? I'm still finding myself thinking back on some of the great things which happened over the weekend and then I feel like crying haha, all I want is to be back in that campsite drinking cans and having the craic with everyone and then going for a wander around all of the madness around the site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I don't know why we are comparing ATN and EP. They really are very different things with different target demographics.

I was at the first EP and even though it was only a one day thing, it was terribly organised. An absolute mess. Nobody had a clue where anything was. The bars were dangerously busy. If it hadn't been for great music especially Soulwax, I might not have gone year 2. Fifteen years later EP have learned a lot of lessons and it really showed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

That's it pretty much nailed, Ferris. I've had some great fun at ATN but when when you lay it all down in black and white, there's no comparison. Or alternatively, put nothing down in black and white and go with your gut, your heart, how you feel over the course of the weekend. EP all the way. But as you say, room for both and good luck to the ATNers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Rfrip

This is a very wholesome thread

How does one get over the depression after EP? I'm still finding myself thinking back on some of the great things which happened over the weekend and then I feel like crying haha, all I want is to be back in that campsite drinking cans and having the craic with everyone and then going for a wander around all of the madness around the site

Few cans.. be grand

I don't know why we are comparing ATN and EP. They really are very different things with different target demographics.

I was at the first EP and even though it was only a one day thing, it was terribly organised. An absolute mess. Nobody had a clue where anything was. The bars were dangerously busy. If it hadn't been for great music especially Soulwax, I might not have gone year 2. Fifteen years later EP have learned a lot of lessons and it really showed this year.

Short term ATN are going for an older demographic. Long-term they're going for the same demographic as EP, which is everyone.

They're in direct competition, as shown by EP announcements last year and ATN early-birds on Sat before EP get theirs out. Both promoters are aware that only one of the festivals will survive another recession.

Thus very comparable, I hope both thrive and there are positive points for each but I personally wouldn't take a chance on going to ATN next year. Though if it was on my doorstep, as it is for you Pablo, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Rfrip wrote: »
    This is a very wholesome thread

Do you need a hug :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Do you need a hug :):)

Where's Rubick when you need him?

Advertisement