Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,985 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Friday - The roadhouse doors, Neil Young Tribute, These Charming Men (I attempted a meet up, put up a number of posts, got nothing back apart from a remark about the hat I was wearing :confused:) Billie Eilish (didn't get her to be honest), a big gap in the schedule, Jarvis, got a pic with Jerry at 7 inch collective, saw the Dirty Circus and then called it a day.

Saturday - Inhaler (meh!), Otherkin (fantastic - was worried at the start but filled up nicely), Mr. Cinnamon was great, Charli XCX was surprisingly good. I forgot she did a number with Christine and was delighted when she appeared onstage, then on to the main stage for Christine herself with her queens, then on to the Pillow Queens (fantastic), Echo and the Bunnymen and then on to the Strokes which were fantastic IMHO

Sunday - Fangclub (like early foo fighters), Touts, KKC, Razorlight, Sam Fender, Johnny Marr, Richard Ashcroft, Roisin Murphy, Bodega, Let's eat Grandma, a bit of Mitski and later the Wha and finished up with Michael Kiwanuka. I was bunched at that stage. Would have gone to KKC at Body and Soul but I had seen them earlier that day and so once was enough.

I agree with the comments about the 3 music stage. Missed sports team as I was at the "other" 3 stage ffs.

Crowds seemed fine to me. One or two gaps in the schedule but otherwise fantastic as usual. Tickets being bought at 9am Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Is it really only 5 minutes?. My head always tells that it's miles away even if it isn't in reality.

I'd say that's about right - 3/4 mins to the SD and another minute to the 3 Stage. Much easier this year to drop in there than OVs in previous years but unfortunately most people unaware of it or assumed it was too far.

Just Mustard did well. Any other act attract a decent crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I remember pals struggling to get campervan tickets in 2010/11/12 yet several available for hugely inflated prices online. I've never worked out why they don't tie the campervan tickets to general sales tickets to block touts. Lack of interest on FR's part I presume.

Had I the cash your route is the way I'd go to every fest Pablo. Thursday entry another big bonus and I've never heard my pals have anything negative to say about their campervan festival experiences.

I only did 3 festivals this year. Back in the day we did 5 a year. You need a camper or caravan for that level though. Best thing we ever did was get a campervan. We used it every weekend not only for festivals. We sold it and I got a little caravan which is only used for festivals. It's terrific. It's always a nice atmosphere in the campervan field at any festival.

I only did 3 festivals this year. Back in the day we did 5 a year. You need a camper or caravan for that level though. Best thing we ever did was get a campervan. We used it every weekend not only for festivals. We sold it and I got a little caravan which is only used for festivals. It's terrific. It's always a nice atmosphere in the campervan field at any festival.

Fully agree. Visited pals at EP and everybody up there ultra-chilled and mega-happy sitting outside with drinks and food. Ah man, I gotta work harder and aspire to a campervan. Less time on this site would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Kudos to whoever I saw driving back to Dublin from EP in a nice VW T3 Syncro camper. Not too many of those about. I doubt I’ll be festival ready with my yoke next year - but getting there slowly.

• Advertisement

Fully agree. Visited pals at EP and everybody up there ultra-chilled and mega-happy sitting outside with drinks and food. Ah man, I gotta work harder and aspire to a campervan. Less time on this site would help.

If it's just for festivals, i would say get a caravan. Better bang for buck on the outlay and practically zero running costs. No insurance, no tax, no real servicing and crucially no CVRT. My caravan cost 4k. Same spec in a camper is about 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Enjoyed the chat comparing festivals. It made me wonder about what the long game is for EP. I dropped out a couple of years ago because it seemed to me at that point that the numbers were going up each year with little extra on offer to occupy people or indeed show where the money was going.

This year seems to have had so many changes and the plan seems to be to keep growing. Could it be that the plan is to rival Glastonbury in say another 10 years? Glastonbury didn't start out as the behemoth it is now, but slowly grew and grew. What's tempting me back is the idea that maybe there is a very ambitious long game being played here that stalled a bit for a couple of years giving the appearance of greed.

If it's just for festivals, i would say get a caravan. Better bang for buck on the outlay and practically zero running costs. No insurance, no tax, no real servicing and crucially no CVRT. My caravan cost 4k. Same spec in a camper is about 20k.

The other option being a vintage camper. No NCT/CVRT, low tax, affordable insurance and you don’t have to tow a caravan. 😉

alastair wrote: »
    The other option being a vintage camper. No NCT/CVRT, low tax, affordable insurance and you don’t have to tow a caravan. 😉

Yeah, I passed a few of those on my way home ;)

Enjoyed the chat comparing festivals. It made me wonder about what the long game is for EP. I dropped out a couple of years ago because it seemed to me at that point that the numbers were going up each year with little extra on offer to occupy people or indeed show where the money was going.

This year seems to have had so many changes and the plan seems to be to keep growing. Could it be that the plan is to rival Glastonbury in say another 10 years? Glastonbury didn't start out as the behemoth it is now, but slowly grew and grew. What's tempting me back is the idea that maybe there is a very ambitious long game being played here that stalled a bit for a couple of years giving the appearance of greed.

What’s strange is that back in the day, there was an obvious influx of foreign EP punters (well - British specifically), a contingent that seem to have petered out over the years. Glastonbury has a huge population to support it’s scale, there’s little likelihood of EP ever getting into that sort of territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

What’s strange is that back in the day, there was an obvious influx of foreign EP punters (well - British specifically), a contingent that seem to have petered out over the years. Glastonbury has a huge population to support it’s scale, there’s little likelihood of EP ever getting into that sort of territory.

I was thinking that myself. Even when I went to Feile back in the '90's (showing my age now) we always met people over from the UK for it. EP would have to make it onto that bucket-list for European festival goers to create that kind of demand.

Glasto also has 220k on site, less than 140k of whom pay for tickets. Unsure of EP figures but under 100k for sure of whom less than 60k pay. Can't see it getting all that much bigger at the current site. Others here will know more about planning and acreage but I'd guess that the very maximum long-term capacity EP could aim for is 70k.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

If EP gets much larger (and it most likely will), I think they need to have more camping surrounding the arena.

At the moment, apart from the Pink Moon and Little Picnic entrances, the majority of the camping is funneled through 2 entrances. We have seen the report of the crush on Friday and this could easily happen again.

I know the site is long and narrow, but having the majority of the camping situated to one end of the site might make it harder to expand much further.

Not really sure what they can do apart from moving campsites across the roads to the fields that are normally carparks.

Was anyone in Tour De Picnic this year? Was there camping across the road or was it just an arrival/staging area?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Overall I enjoyed EP this year but it was certainly down the list of favourites over the years. We always do Family Camping but generally bring the youngest home on the Saturday morning which makes it much easier to get to see acts. This year we were let down at the last minute for a babysitter so we had both kids all weekend. Hard work to be honest, so fairplay to the parents that bring young kids for the whole weekend. We met a couple on the Saturday night dragging around 3 kids in trolley, 1yo, 2yo, 5yo. Now that's hard work! 

I also got food poisoning on the Saturday night which totally wrote off my Sunday. Still tried to power on through but the writing was on the wall from early on. 

The list of bands I got to see was very limited due to the above. My Clashfinder makes for a depressing read! 
    That said, I did get to see a few. 
    Billie Eilish (wasn't that pushed), 
    Dermot Kennedy (really good), 
    Khartoum (Loud!!), 
    some Irish Rappers in B&S (very good), 
    Gerry Cinnamon (enjoyed it and the crowd seemed really into it), 
    Metronomy (bits I heard were really good), 
    Brittany Howard (Excellent), 
    Echo & the Bunnymen (only caught the big songs but enjoyed what I heard), 
    Four Tet (Strange choice of lighting show.....or lack there of! Got to hear Planets so happy out!), 
    The Strokes (loved them. Sound was fantastic and I thought he was quite funny), 
    Richard Ashcroft (Great sound and it even better to hear the old Verve songs), 
    my nephew's friend in Grannies Gaff who was playing EP for the first time and lots of random acts around the place. 

Probably a case of getting older but I'm not sure I'll bring the kids again until they're a good bit older. At times it felt ridiculously busy but you just need to be aware at what times. For example, when we at Billie Eilish we were watching from just in front of the stands and knew she was about to finish so just stayed put until the crowd died down. 

EP still has the magic but this year wasn't one of my best!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

One word - rust :p
    Ditto, if you have the space to store it when you're not using it, this is the cheapest and most-comfortable option.
    I remember pals struggling to get campervan tickets in 2010/11/12 yet several available for hugely inflated prices online. I've never worked out why they don't tie the campervan tickets to general sales tickets to block touts. Lack of interest on FR's part I presume.
    They hardly even check the cammpervan passes, it's a complete joke - wave through from security and that's it. Considering they make us pay extra for registered post, it's something you could easily photocopy.
    If EP gets much larger (and it most likely will), I think they need to have more camping surrounding the arena.

At the moment, apart from the Pink Moon and Little Picnic entrances, the majority of the camping is funneled through 2 entrances. We have seen the report of the crush on Friday and this could easily happen again.

I know the site is long and narrow, but having the majority of the camping situated to one end of the site might make it harder to expand much further.

Not really sure what they can do apart from moving campsites across the roads to the fields that are normally carparks.
    ?
    They could always do away with the security checks and go free-flow. Then they could set up various campsites about the place like glastonbury and avoid most of the issues with crushes etc when lots of people go from a campsite to the stages at one time. I think the campsites would be left in a lot better condition also.

Alkers wrote: »

They hardly even check the cammpervan passes, it's a complete joke - wave through from security and that's it. Considering they make us pay extra for registered post, it's something you could easily photocopy.

To be honest, this year I could have given my camper ticket to someone else after I had got in and they would have rolled in easily.. no scan, no nothing. There were several cars near us with tents. One of them pitched their tent right at my fvcking door Saturday evening when we were out for the day. I had to walk around a tent to get to my door. It was likely bloody Hendrix!!! Needless to say it was moved Sunday .. ahem! They left an awful mess around them. My smart ass missus packed it all up in a bin bag and put it in their tent, reminding them on Monday "I cleaned up your mess for you, there is a bin just over there".

I am sure they did something like this saying "i have a caravan up at the back of the field" flashing the already used ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kepler21

Was anyone in Tour De Picnic this year? Was there camping across the road or was it just an arrival/staging area?

I walked past it on the way from Red to green on Sunday morning. There was a decent looking campsite beside the field with the arrival area/small stand to welcome people etc. I didn't see what facilities it had, if any

Alkers wrote: »
    One word - rust :p

Not a problem with aluminum bodied campers. I’m converting a forward control land rover. Steel chassis, but that’s it.

Here is my review:

Sons of Kemet - hell yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Here is my review:

Sons of Kemet - hell yeah!

tl;dr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Might of been said already but are codes out tomorrow or Saturday morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Might of been said already but are codes out tomorrow or Saturday morning ?

Tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I'd say that's about right - 3/4 mins to the SD and another minute to the 3 Stage. Much easier this year to drop in there than OVs in previous years but unfortunately most people unaware of it or assumed it was too far.

Was

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Was

Was. Not Was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I thought the 3 area was very good and the bar there was much better than the one in SD well worth the minute walk to not be served a warm can.

Was at a few gigs there just mustard biggest crowd yonaka got decent crowd rest small. Suspect 3 not have the same draw as the OV brand which along with lack of signage is the problem. Great tent andcaddition of bar very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Was. Not Was?

Open the door, get on the floor
    Everybody walk the dinosaur

Was. Not Was?

Walk like a dinosaur. Sorry started typing at half time at match (no review could do it justice) and pocket sent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m not ready for the 2020 thread yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭endainoz

Rfrip wrote:
    I’m not ready for the 2020 thread yet

I'm not either, but the darn tickets are out tomorrow...

Advertisement