Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Lidl is doing a human liver sale, 25% off with a lifetime guarantee. :)

Whose lifetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

He’s an incredible frontman and they always put on a top class show. Would be a great addition to any festival lineup.

Hey Johnny we need to do a Festival Toilets thread hahaha.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Enjoying watching the streams of the recent Aphex Twin shows from Mexico, New York and Coachella. If he doesn't get announced for the Picnic I will turn my eyes into lasers and will etch his show with my eyes on the canvas in the inside of the Electric Arena, so if they book him or not, he'll be there.

Need another announcement for this, even a small one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Need another announcement for this, even a small one.

Was there a huge gap between announcements last year or am I remembering it wrong? I have it in my head that the initial line up came out in March and then from July onwards, there was basically something new every week having had total silence for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Was there a huge gap between announcements last year or am I remembering it wrong? I have it in my head that the initial line up came out in March and then from July onwards, there was basically something new every week having had total silence for months.

the prodigy etc were added on the weekend of ATN, aug bank holiay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Wilco European tour starts 4th September, surely no surer than a sure thing!

Jeeez its quiet in the Gigs and Events forum today, I suppose its in between announcement phases.

And here is the latest festival news, Electric Fields the Scottish festival folded yesterday and have shifted location to Glasgow city centre. After having five make or break years of having a camping music festival they made a loss of £300,000 pounds from last years event.

https://electricfieldsfestival.com/news/ef19info/

Mr.S wrote:
    I wonder will EP ever move from Stradbally? I think it's a great location but at one point they're going to either have to stop increasing capacity or move shop. It's at 60k now, I'd say they could easily have it at 80k in a couple of years. Even in the last year or two, the crowds have gotten silly - mainly due to the small walk ways and bottlenecks at the arena entrances.

Doubt it at this stage as it's such a good setup but I'm told that they had originally also looked into Lisnavagh estate in carlow as an alternative site back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Wooderson

sweetie wrote: »
    Doubt it at this stage as it's such a good setup but I'm told that they had originally also looked into Lisnavagh estate in carlow as an alternative site back in the day

I’ve huge doubts they’d move it now either. There are options to develop further to the west of the site. Could copy (further!) Glastonbury who did exactly this just over a decade ago with the creation of the Park field etc. EP’s slavish adherence to the “arena” model is putting them under the most pressure. The site is a marvel and could be totally refreshed with some maturity and joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they're getting rid of the Oscar Wilde campsite from its current spot to make way for more stages/entertainment, so I'd assume they'd just do that more and expand rather than move.

Don't know if the Cosbys own the carparking fields on either side of the site, but I'd imagine EP would be more likely to start shifting campsites into some of those fields and expand the arena, than completely up sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭haitens

Duff McKagan playing the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Unexpected choice, what’s his solo stuff like?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Deadly can't remember Slane, seemingly I had a great time hopefully jog a few memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Mr.S wrote: »
    I would love a free flow system and get rid of the 'arena' and make it all one. Sure, the drink sponsors would object and never agree to it, but would they really lose out on that much money?

All of the bars at ATN were always full last year with a free flow

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭whelzer

All of the bars at ATN were always full last year with a free flow

As they were at B&S. Its such a pain in the ass - especially going to and from Salty Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I would love a free flow system and get rid of the 'arena' and make it all one. Sure, the drink sponsors would object and never agree to it, but would they really lose out on that much money?

It's a fair point. I'd say I'd still end up spending the same amount of money on drinks even if it was free flow as I don't buy many anyway, maybe 2 or 3 drinks per day and then stick to my drink in the campsite for the rest. I have my budget for the weekend and stick to it, say a lot of people my age group or younger are the same.

At B&S & ATN it definitely results in less messy people and makes the festival feel much more chilled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No chance of this happening as long as the festival is selling out before it even announces a single act. Maybe if they were feeling the heat from other festivals that have free flow but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. Bar sales would probably take a bit of a hit but what would take a big hit is the amount of money that the drink companies pay to the festival to have exclusive beer selling rights as that is worth less money at an event where people can bring their own everywhere.

E.P is too succesful at the moment and as a result there is no incentive for them to do anything like this that makes the experience better for punters but results in less money for them. They are the only festival that are on their level and while I wouldn't like to see them go under I think it'd be no harm if some of the competition were to start putting them under a bit of pressure. Then maybe we might start to see things like a free flow alcohol policy etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

His new work is much quieter and acoustic.
    I suppose it is possible that he could play some gnr/loaded/velvet revolver which would be great, but I’m not expecting it.
    Either way I will be there, I’ve seen him with several bands and I always enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Flaming Lips are out with their recent tour announcement.

08-30 La Tour-De-Peilz, Switzerland - Nox Orae 2019
    09-01 Prato, Italy - Piazza Duomo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Unexpected choice, what’s his solo stuff like?

I hadn't heard it until yesterday tbh, but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

haitens wrote: »
    Duff McKagan playing the Saturday

Sounds like a fake I.D. from Superbad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

I hadn't heard it until yesterday tbh, but I like it.

I'll second that one, sounds good, would be nice maybe late Sunday afternoon in one of the tents.

Flaming Lips are out with their recent tour announcement.

08-30 La Tour-De-Peilz, Switzerland - Nox Orae 2019
    09-01 Prato, Italy - Piazza Duomo

So you're saying there's a chance....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

sweetie wrote: »
    So you're saying there's a chance....:p

That's a Yes from me ;)

Yeah the old T in the Park security aka Heineken Overlords have been pretty thorough even at crew entrances in the last few years, I'm gonna have to get friends with production passes to smuggle in some of my absinthe and maybe I'll just chance the odd can of beer into the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

endainoz wrote: »
    I'll second that one, sounds good, would be nice maybe late Sunday afternoon in one of the tents.

Not a hope, that will be main stage all the way he plays a good few roses tunes in his sets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yeah the old T in the Park security aka Heineken Overlords have been pretty thorough even at crew entrances in the last few years, I'm gonna have to get friends with production passes to smuggle in some of my absinthe and maybe I'll just chance the odd can of beer into the arena.

Last year when i was coming from the pink moon into the arena at like 1am they wouldnt let me bring in cans which i always though you were allowed to after the bars closed?

Advertisement