Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Special Event - September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Am i right in saying if you want to use the fast charge feature you have to buy this: https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MR2A2B/A/30w-usb-c-power-adapter?fnode=97

And this:
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MQGJ2ZM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m?fnode=97

Total price: €85. It would actually make you laugh.

I agree with what everyone says about the phones themselves, buy or don't whatever, but that is some serious gouging just to use a feature they were pushing last year as one of the major improvements. (And is included in the box with MUCH cheaper phones).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

EGriff wrote: »
    Am i right in saying if you want to use the fast charge feature you have to buy this: https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MR2A2B/A/30w-usb-c-power-adapter?fnode=97

And this:
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MQGJ2ZM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m?fnode=97

Total price: €85. It would actually make you laugh.

I agree with what everyone says about the phones themselves, buy or don't whatever, but that is some serious gouging just to use a feature they were pushing last year as one of the major improvements. (And is included in the box with MUCH cheaper phones).

Nope, just the plug in block. The usc-c cable is not a requirement.
    Or you could use your iPad plug if you had an iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as much as I do think Apple are gouging here for the faster charger and lesser so the headphone jack adapter, most of ye have spent the equivalent time and effort debating it here that you would have bought one already if you worked that time. There are some battles you're going to win, but this one with Apple you won't.

I bought the 85w power brick a year ago and I love it, one power brick (to pack when travelling) to charge my Nintendo Switch, iPhone, iPad, Anker PowerBank and it'll charge a new MacBook when I decide to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

In fairness, I did see a comparison a while back with the various usb chargers and even the standard iPad block with old usb and there wasn’t much of a difference between the older iPad one and usb-c.

Still, it should be included in the box. I was actually hoping the iPhone X would be a flop for Apple, and they’d revert prices to the lower tiers. But no, a more expensive model and removed accessories.

For all that Apple do right they make some crazy decisions by nickel and diming customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

kceire wrote: »
    Nope, just the plug in block. The usc-c cable is not a requirement.
    Or you could use your iPad plug if you had an iPad.

Nah, that plug is USB C and comes with no cable. The cable that comes with the phone is USB A, so you gotta get the cable too if you want max speed charging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

most of ye have spent the equivalent time and effort debating it here that you would have bought one already if you worked that time
    To be fair, I’m at home, relaxing. I don’t want to pick up extra work just to buy it.
    And I don’t think that those buying the phone don’t have the extra cash required; it’s more at that price point (for a stated feature) you throw in the brick/cable for your customer (like others do)
    If they decided to leave out a power brick/cable entirely, people should just work more to buy one, rather than debate it?
    I mean, for the top spec Ms Max, they could throw in a pair of AirPods (just for good will alone).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

You’re allowed to suck up to Apple, others can be overly critical. That’s what forums are for.

True, but it's play the ball not the man, no excuse for personal attacks IMO.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

True, but it's play the ball not the man, no excuse for personal attacks IMO.:D
    I agree. At the end of the day, it’s down to everyone how they spend their own money.
    My brother in law smokes ~40 a week, but thinks it nuts that someone would drop ~€1k every 2 years on a phone. Each to their own.

EGriff wrote: »
    Nah, that plug is USB C and comes with no cable. The cable that comes with the phone is USB A, so you gotta get the cable too if you want max speed charging.

Agh my mistake. That’s the 30w plug you linked.
    I thought it was just the bigger iPad version.

Can anyone confirm if you get the 30w fast Charging plug with the the equivalent android phone?

I didn’t with my latest galaxy. I got the standard 5v 1a plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Can anyone confirm if you get the 30w fast Charging plug with the the equivalent android phone?

15W charger with the S9..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

I think it’s a shame they don’t include it but at the end of the day, I have two Anker Powerbanks, one is a smaller very portable one and the other, a larger one which I purchased specifically for my Nintendo Switch so I’m never stuck for power for my phone when I need it, but regardless of their decision not to, I’m still going to continue to buy their phones and other products as I love the ecosystem and with their regular updates, the longevity of their products is great.

I’m lucky enough to be in a position not to worry about the price of their products but I do think they do offer greater value for money than most of their Android counterparts but it’s not going to stop me from hoping they offer even more value to us for our money spent but I won’t be critical of others for spending their hard earned money on what they please either.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing for us to have a debate about it either, at the end of the day, most of us here enjoy their products and there is no harm in us looking for improvements where possible as it is a big investment we are putting into it. I think we better get used to it though, it’s a money game and I think they will continue to look for as much as they can on peripherals from their consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dash charge plug comes with the One Plus.

Shn99 wrote: »
    15W charger with the S9..

So you’d have to pay samusing for the 30w version too. Just like apple.
    Although their 15w is even better than the 12w that Apple give with the iPad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fast charger with the razer, few days charge in an hour. Problem is can't seem to charge it with a slow charge, thankfully the other halfs budget Motorola came with one as well.
    There's no real defending apple on this one it's gouging plain and simple. If any phone needs a fast charger it's an iPhone, their battery is way behind other manufacturers. Sony's working on something to embarris them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

At the end of the end your spending the guts of €1500 on a phone you would expect it to come with fast charging it is 2018 after all.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

As much as I love iPhones and would like an iPhone Xs for that kind of money I would take it outside the house. :P

I also think they are just too big to be a mobile phone and was hoping a new SE would be added - I wasn't expecting Apple to discontinue the iPhone SE. :(

Did they pull them from the online store on the same day as the Apple Event?

As much as I love iPhones and would like an iPhone Xs for that kind of money I would take it outside the house. :P

I also think they are just too big to be a mobile phone and was hoping a new SE would be added - I wasn't expecting Apple to discontinue the iPhone SE. :(

Did they pull them from the online store on the same day as the Apple Event?

The R looks a good option. Without the OLED screen battery life should be quite good.

Also with the smaller bezels the overall size of the phone may not be much bigger than the SE? Have you compared the form factor and not just the screen size?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The R looks a good option. Without the OLED screen battery life should be quite good.

Also with the smaller bezels the overall size of the phone may not be much bigger than the SE? Have you compared the form factor and not just the screen size?

I was going ask what "form factor" means but I looked it up instead :)

I wasn't comparing just by the screen size but by the overall length and width.

I can't find any photos comparing the sizes of the new X's to an SE but the SE is the same size (I think) as my 4 which is tiny next to a 6, 7, etc.

I was going ask what "form factor" means but I looked it up instead :)

I wasn't comparing just by the screen size but by the overall length and width.

I can't find any photos comparing the sizes of the new X's to an SE but the SE is the same size (I think) as my 4 which is tiny next to a 6, 7, etc.

Ok it's actually a good bit bigger than the SE. The SE is much smaller than I remember though :confused:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-SE,Apple-iPhone-XR/phones/10001,10765

After a week you wouldn't notice the difference at all though and you'll be wondering how you ever managed on a smaller screen.

What is the "nasty, expensive, surprise" in the new iPhones that Forbes is on about?

I've been using all the whoopty-do about internet tracking, etc. to control my time online by not allowing myself to accept cookies and being blocked from sites. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

What is the "nasty, expensive, surprise" in the new iPhones that Forbes is on about?

I've been using all the whoopty-do about internet tracking, etc. to control my time online by not allowing myself to accept cookies and being blocked from sites. :)

The only thing keeping me stuck to iPhone over the price at this stage is my Apple Watch

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Ok it's actually a good bit bigger than the SE. The SE is much smaller than I remember though :confused:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-SE,Apple-iPhone-XR/phones/10001,10765

After a week you wouldn't notice the difference at all though and you'll be wondering how you ever managed on a smaller screen.

They are lovely devices and I'd enjoy using them for games, TV or a camera at home button as an everyday mobile phone.

I'm actually perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 as a mobile and was only going to get an SE because the 4's microphone is broken hindering it's use as a video camera. I have a mic for it but I often leave it at home or it comes off when taking the phone out of my pocket and it is 50/50 whether it records sound after being connected.

I just find the size of all the phones from 6 onwards to be awkward.

Thanks for the link. I have used this site to compare iPhones before completely forgot about it.

jonny_b wrote: »
    The only thing keeping me stuck to iPhone over the price at this stage is my Apple Watch

Why is that? I thought they only worked together when the Watch has cellular?

Are the Xs and Xr the exact same except for the difference in size and the type of screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Are the Xs and Xr the exact same except for the difference in size and the type of screen?

The camera as well. The Xs has a dual camera, however the Xr does what the secondary camera does using software.

nokia211 wrote: »
    The camera as well. The Xs has a dual camera, however the Xr does what the secondary camera does using software.

Yes I remember the single camera now.

So the Xs is the better phone then?

So the Xs is the better phone then?

Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

nokia211 wrote: »
    The XS has a second lens with an 2X optical zoom, which you can't replicate with software. What the software tries replicate is the shallow depth of field "bokah" effect in portrait mode.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Why is that? I thought they only worked together when the Watch has cellular?

No. They have been able to connect to the iPhone since day, that is the point of them really. Notifications, messages, mails etc on your wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Guys, I’m sure a lot of us ordered our iPhones within minutes of it going live with a delivery date of 25th of September, do you think we may get them on the 21st as there wasn’t really much of a demand this year.

Advertisement