Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Special Event - September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So apple have quick charging ability on the phone, they want you to spend over a grand for the phone. And they aren't including the quick charger you have to buy it.

What a jip. They are some bunch of shams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

listermint wrote: »
    So apple have quick charging ability on the phone, they want you to spend over a grand for the phone. And they aren't including the quick charger you have to buy it.

Also not including the €8 headphone jack anymore either.

And I think that's across the board too, so it won't be in the 8 if you buy one of them from now on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

kceire wrote: »
    There’s only so much more phones can do, go back to January/ February when the Galaxy’s s9 launched, there was no big deal either.
    Agreed, said something similar in the other thread. I am interested by the OnePlus 6T. Possible in display finger print reader, drop-like notch, 6.4in screen, face unlock, and maybe be €500-600.
    Will have to wait until Oct for the reveal. But the in display, if fast, would be nice; something that'll be repeated in other phones in the future.

And I think that's across the board too, so it won't be in the 8 if you buy one of them from now on too.
    For the price, maybe they should include it. But I never used mine once. Maybe similar for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Your right...just looked at the "whats in the box" for the 7 & 8..no adapter. Nothing more than a money grabbing tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve never required fast charging on my phone. I charge over night and the battery would still be at 30% plus when going to bed the following night.

Fastcharging suits some and not others, can’t please everyone. It’s like
    Nissan, they have 2 charging versions in their Leaf car, )3.3kw V6.6kw OBV) they also charge customers extra to get the faster charging option.

Mine is still in the the card hold it arrived in on day one. Haven’t needed it once. My earphones are wireless and wherever we go, the speakers are Bluetooth. Same goes for the car. That Bluetooth streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I had bought a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones about 2 months before I bought my 8 so still use my jack. But either way, it costs €8 and probably less than half of that to make, so just stick it in the box for God's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I had bought a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones about 2 months before I bought my 8 so still use my jack. But either way, it costs €8 and probably less than half of that to make, so just stick it in the box for God's sake.

hell at most it costs only 50 cents.
    But if you have million people buying one that's 7.5 million profit.
    Greedy fcuks.
    I'm still on my 7+ and trying to decide whether to bother or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

ArthurG wrote: »
    If you’re concerned why don’t you just ring them? AIB rejected my initial payment presumably as an anti fraud measure. I was worried I’d lose my preorder so rang Apple and they had it sorted in 2 minutes. They said it’s not unusual for that to happen for such a large purchase as it happens.

I’m not concerned to be honest, I was just wondering if anybody had experienced it before as I’ve never in years or ordering from Apple. I just added the order to my account in the end. Still a strange glitch. Thanks for the advice though.

I’ve never required fast charging on my phone. I charge over night and the battery would still be at 30% plus when going to bed the following night.

Nissan, they have 2 charging versions in their Leaf car, )3.3kw V6.6kw OBV) they also charge customers extra to get the faster charging option.

Mine is still in the the card hold it arrived in on day one. Haven’t needed it once. My earphones are wireless and wherever we go, the speakers are Bluetooth. Same goes for the car. That Bluetooth streams.

That's a hilarious excuse. I've never needed therefore....

It's nothing more than a money tactic. There's nothing to lose by not making the charger fast charging. This is entirely about margin bottom line and share price. It's not consumer focused. Every other manfucturer that has fast charging includes the charger in the box.

Why is that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

It's nothing more than a money tactic. There's nothing to lose by not making the charger fast charging. This is entirely about margin bottom line and share price. It's not consumer focused. Every other manfucturer that has fast charging includes the charger in the box.

Why is that...

I have to agree I couldn’t believe that they including the 5W brick with the XsMax that’s a joke with the price of the phone. It costs €90
    to buy the charger from Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What an odd reply. The fact that you have no need for it is irrelevant.

The fast charging feature is a clear performance benefit that Apple are clearly restricting to make the customer pay more money.

How could faster charging not “suit some”? It’s literrally FASTER charging. When would anyone ever say “my phone charges too fast, that doesn’t suit me”?

I think if Apple offered an option at checkout to remove all accessories for maybe a €50 discount then I’d be fine with it. They could push it as an environmental thing to reduce waste. But just removing them bit by bit and offering the bare minimum is ridiculous.

The fact you can buy a €1,700 and only get 5GB of iCloud and the same charger from 10 years ago is ridiculous. I can eventually see them removing the headphones as well to maximise profits.

I think Apple under Cook is too focused on numbers and stock price. Jobs always seemed to care more about the overall user experience and would compromise in other areas to make that number 1. As great as Cook has been, that focus seems to have shifted from Apple over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Is it just me or do you think there’s much less hype and excitement for this years iPhone. I remember this forum from a couple of years ago and I remember it being a lot more active. Maybe it is just me but do not think the prices have created this?

Why is that...
    quarryman wrote: »
    What an odd reply. The fact that you have no need for it is irrelevant.

The fast charging feature is a clear performance benefit that Apple are clearly restricting to make the customer pay more money.

How could faster charging not “suit some”? It’s literrally FASTER charging. When would anyone ever say “my phone charges too fast, that doesn’t suit me”?

Not that odd or hilarious. It has a feature I’ve never really relied on in the past. Some people will moan about it, don’t buy it then. Buy something else.

My car has a CD player, I’ve never used it once. But some people will Cry and moan about it if it’s removed, go buy a car with a CD player.

We don’t all need 100% of all the features. I’ve never used Apple Pay. I’ve never used my phone to buy anything. If that was removed I wouldn’t come on here moaning and crying about it. I’d get on with it and use my bank card as normal.

Equally, I’ve never used the fast charging on my Samsung galaxy. Every day I connect it to my PC when I get to work through the USB cable. That does me. I’ve never needed the more ‘open’ platform of android either. Horses for courses.

Third world problems for some it seems.

nokia211 wrote: »
    Is it just me or do you think there’s much less hype and excitement for this years iPhone. I remember this forum from a couple of years ago and I remember it being a lot more active. Maybe it is just me but do not think the prices have created this?

Last year was definitely hyped up in this forum, the iPhone X was the reason for a lot of that. I think because this years iPhone was such a small jump over last years a lot of people won’t be updating. Others have been priced out of the flagship iPhone as well. Look at most of the opinions coming out since the event saying the Apple Watch was the bigger product this year.

nokia211 wrote: »

It’s only a refresh cycle this year. No hype as it’s the same she’ll and chassis etc.
    the hype from years ago was when they were less available here and you had to go to the UK or thenone network selling them.

Things have moved on.

Not that odd or hilarious. It has a feature I’ve never really relied on in the past. Some people will moan about it, don’t buy it then. Buy something else.

My car has a CD player, I’ve never used it once. But some people will Cry and moan about it if it’s removed, go buy a car with a CD player.

We don’t all need 100% of all the features. I’ve never used Apple Pay. I’ve never used my phone to buy anything. If that was removed I wouldn’t come on here moaning and crying about it. I’d get on with it and use my bank card as normal.

Equally, I’ve never used the fast charging on my Samsung galaxy. Every day I connect it to my PC when I get to work through the USB cable. That does me. I’ve never needed the more ‘open’ platform of android either. Horses for courses.

Third world problems for some it seems.

Third world problems...

Sorry I couldn't do without fast charging. Why in the hell would I want to hang around Charging a phone off 2amp pc cable.

It's you that is being obtuse.

You wonder why all marques offer fast charging now if there was no market for it.

Third world problems...

Sorry I couldn't do without fast charging. Why in the hell would I want to hang around Charging a phone off 2amp pc cable.

It's you that is being obtuse.

You wonder why all marques offer fast charging now if there was no market for it.

You cannot do without fast charging. So that influences your choice in phone. And that’s fine.

Don’t be a dick and call others obtuse because they don’t need the same features as you.

This will be the first time I won’t have the new iPhone since it was first released. I feel Apple have taken it a step to far with the pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The 5w charger is ridiculous, when you’re charging that much of a premium for your product, scrimping on these things (while also pocketing saving on dongles) comes off as penny pinching and feels counter productive overall. There really is no excuse for it.

The 5w charger is ridiculous, when you’re charging that much of a premium for your product, scrimping on these things (while also pocketing saving on dongles) comes off as penny pinching and I few always counter productive overall. There really is no excuse for it.

Especially with the Max as apple say them self’s its the biggest battery they’ve ever had in an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

In fairness, for the price you are paying for a premium product, it should definitely include it, even if it’s not something you are interested in. I love Apple Products but I’m definitely not going to defend them or make excuses for them making decisions like that.

You cannot do without fast charging. So that influences your choice in phone. And that’s fine.

Don’t be a dick and call others obtuse because they don’t need the same features as you.

I'd appreciate if you didn't call me names. You are a mod after all grow up.

I said you were being obtuse specifically because in your words 'don't buy it but something has else' .you know what obtuse means ?

A bit of cop on sir it's a discussion forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

tony1980 wrote: »
    In fairness, for the price you are paying for a premium product, it should definitely include it, even if it’s not something you are interested in. I love Apple Products but I’m definitely not going to defend them or make excuses for them making decisions like that.

The thing is, the Xs is probably one the weakest product updates (in terms of phones) that Apple has put out. The fact that they’ve discontinued the X and not opted to sell a discounted version suggests they well know it themselves. The Xs has a tough enough sell in terms of a value proposition without the negative tick of a 5w charger against it.

The Xs is not a bad phone either, with the camera improvements and faster processor it’s going to make a great phone even better. For somebody buying it’s a top spec device.

But for those with newer iPhones there really isn’t a lot to get excited for. And I think that’s why there’s a lot less hype. Most people with iPhones either get stuck in the ecosystem or are just happy with it, and their next phone will usually be another iPhone. But with smaller updates like this, people are going to just wait until there are more major changes warranting an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

As someone who just ordered an Xs, I'm really looking forward to getting it. I haven't had a new phone in about 2 and half years. My last 2 android phones were Sony and Huawei and they were grand but I'd like to try an iPhone now.

I think people who are upgrading from a 6s or 7 would find the Xs to be an good option to upgrade to. The devices are good but Apple are becoming more and more greedy and that's a recipe for disaster.

I'd appreciate if you didn't call me names. You are a mod after all grow up.

I said you were being obtuse specifically because in your words 'don't buy it but something has else' .you know what obtuse means ?

A bit of cop on sir it's a discussion forum

Grow up, ...... Don’t call me obtuse then get your knickers in a twist because I asked you not to act like a dick. If you have a problem with the post, report it.

And in your own words sir, cop on, it’s a discussion forum, don’t get upset because I don’t need certain items that you do. You live your life with your requirement for fast charging, and I’ll live mine without that particular requirement.

End of........

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

Generally all expensive products are lacking in some accessory or add on that can be purchased at further cost.
    Is the iPhone X worth the entry price ... possibly no, but then neither are mechanical watches, fine writing instruments, handmade suits or sports cars in their basic use. The basic usefulness can be duplicated in something else 1/10 or less of the price.

Apple products are lifestyle products and its value can not just be measured in basic functionality. There is an eco system iOS & OS X which just works for me, without issue. There is product ascetics and design which is both a pleasure to hold and use and then there is reliability and product longevity, I have many 10s of Macs, iPads, iPhones in work that continue to work day in day out for years on end.

The phone perhaps is the odd one out, driven by consumer desire and relentless yearly upgrades, the carriers sought to lock you into a tariff and a further years contract, this was all well and good as the technology was advancing, it has conditioned us to expect more and more with each passing year.

But now I'm absolutely amazed by the technology contained in the small personal devices we all carry now, for what they are capable of and how they seamlessly integrate with our lifestyles. Apple led the way with the original iPhone, competition was quick to follow and match functionality, but I do believe in terms of user experience and overall satisfaction Apple has continued to excel.
    So much so that I continue to purchase the products, the cost is expensive, but the value proposition ... that's for each to judge for themselves.

If you don't see the value don't bash those that do.

• Advertisement

If you don't see the value don't bash those that do.
    You’re allowed to suck up to Apple, others can be overly critical. That’s what forums are for.

Advertisement