Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Recycled bio fuel still releases CO2 when its burned
    Hoboo wrote: »
    Indeed it does.

And it looks and feels feckin class as it does :cool: . Leave the afterburner alone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It looks great, but it is absolutely the antithesis of sustainability tbf. Which isn't surprising as I'm not sure anyone saw ATN's approach to that as anything particularly genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

MJohnston wrote: »
    It looks great, but it is absolutely the antithesis of sustainability tbf. Which isn't surprising as I'm not sure anyone saw ATN's approach to that as anything particularly genuine.

Ah sure any festival in entirety is the antithesis of sustainability if you look hard enough at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Wooderson

sure, but that was happening in the red car park too when we got there at 2pm, and we had maybe 2mins of queuing to get through the gates, coming from the south (after going all the way down the M9 from Dublin and looping around via the N25). Friends that left Dublin an hour before us and went for the blue entrance using the official route had already been stuck in traffic an hour at that stage.

Routing everyone through Carrick-on-Suir and up that tiny little laneway was completely stupid, and a far bigger issue I'd say.

If they had all family, campervans/caravans and boutique campers avoid that, and continue down the M9 and into the red car park from the south, it would have alleviated a decent chunk of traffic. Both Sides Now campsite should have been on that route too.

Instead, the traffic plan had everyone from the west/north/east that needed the red entrance coming past the blue entrance for no discernible reason.

e: and just to add, we actually took a wrong turn and ended up in Portlaw itself, before turning around and going on a small back road a bit of the way. None of the roads around it were closed that we saw, didn't see one Garda until we got to the red gate itself.

Really well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Made from recycled metal and uses biomass fuel which is the very meaning of sustainable!

If it needs to run on babies tears it stays.

• Advertisement

Made from recycled metal and uses biomass fuel which is the very meaning of sustainable!

If it needs to run on babies tears it stays.

Biomass is finite and carbon-producing: it ain't sustainable!

Which is fine like, it's just a couple of nights at a festival, but it's deceptive to claim otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Someone took a great clip of Orbital here, captures the vastness of the main stage area well.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

her vocal was great - but was such a pity we couldn't hear many of the wonderful instruments that were on stage

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dk1982

• Advertisement

Oh fúck off (to the writer) - the people who accuse parents of being performative are so obviously transferring their own reasons for doing things to everyone sense. Of course a newspaper columnist would be a performative arsehole. Some parents don't really give a shít what anyone else thinks and just want their kids to have a non-coddled, more adventurous childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dk1982

Oh fúck off (to the writer) - the people who accuse parents of being performative are so obviously transferring their own reasons for doing things to everyone sense. Of course a newspaper columnist would be a performative arsehole. Some parents don't really give a shít what anyone else thinks and just want their kids to have a non-coddled, more adventurous childhood.

You should probably actually read the article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Biomass is finite and carbon-producing: it ain't sustainable!

Which is fine like, it's just a couple of nights at a festival, but it's deceptive to claim otherwise.

You clearly don't understand anything about biomass. Google is your friend.

dk1982 wrote: »
    You should probably actually read the article

I did - she didn't disabuse herself of that ridiculous notion throughout the rest of the article. In fact, the entire thing was written from the perspective of how bringing kids would effect *her* only.

You clearly don't understand anything about biomass. Google is your friend.

Oh really?
    https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/3/4/18216045/renewable-energy-wood-pellets-biomass

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Is it too late to post a review??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Is it too late to post a review??

Please do. Just don't mention kids or biomass. For pity's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Right so here we go -

Friday.
    Left the house around 9:30 heading the same route as last year. Didn't hit any traffic until the blue gate. Drove in and parked up. That walk from the car park seemed unnecessary and carrying stuff up that hill was a not pleasant. I hope they come up with something new for that next year. I also walked out to the car and walked back in from the side without being stopped or checked for a wristband which was funny. Caught Kean Kavanagh as the first act which was fun. He's a grand lad. Then went down to the bandstand and got 'My Goodness' their vegan nachos are amazing!! Then sat on the grass and watched the Trinity crew. Enjoyed their Vulfpeck covers left early to get cans and change before Fontaines DC. I was up the front for that and I couldn't hear the vocals so moved a bit back and it was perfect. Their brilliant I'm a longterm fan so biased. Then caught some Orbital after but wasn't really for me so went down and saw Papa Rua on the bandstand who were lovely and relaxing. Then went to see Joshua Burnside but the sound bleed was not ideal. He even at one point said he couldn't hear himself. I think next year the comedy should be moved down beside the house. Their was too much noise for the late night folk. Wandered to Arcadia for a bit and hit the hay.

Saturday:
    Woke up and got some breakfast taco's (OHH YES!!) then watched the Glasshouse Bon Iver thing. Couldn't really hear them so left early to go see Junior Brother. He was brilliant and funny. I find his music on record sometimes hard but live the whole thing just works well. Great start! Then chilled out watching Booka Brass munching a burrito. Kojaque was next. The live band was great and had the place bouncing. As a young fella (23) I'm all over him. I left sweating and in need of more cans. Quick run back and ready for Just Mustard. They are loud and awesome. Seen them a few times and they're great although the best I've seen them was supporting the Cure which was strange. Anyway enjoyed them. Now we braved the rain for FJM. I'm a massive fan. I've seen him a few times and he is just the best. I understand why some don't get him. The performance felt like he was in 2nd gear for the first half (rain and small crowd) but he got into it and the clothes were gas,. Gig of the weekend so far. Straight over to get a spot for Loyle Carner. That guy is going places. I loved when he brought the guy from the crowd on. That felt like a special gig. We won't see him on such small stages for long. A quick dash over and caught the of Patti Smith. She was gloriaous ;). At the back but you could feel her stage presence. Got more cans and a some Indian from the Kerala kitchen (Very good). Hot chip (BOOGIE). Apres went to bandstand and dances to prince for the night, and maybe some more nachos.

Sunday:
    Blindboy at the bandstand with some kombucha for cure. That was better than expected. Would of been a real treat if somebody told the Wailers (C'mon Pod). Then I went to A Lazarus Soul to the Claque to Black Midi. Then Bombay in the rain (for herself). Never seen them before but good vibes in the rain. A quick can restock and change and we were ready for some Damon and Co. Oh boy that was a treat. His stage presence was great a true showman. Left a little early for the National who I had never seen before (I must be the only one in Ireland). I loved their new album and was glad to see it feature heavily with some classics. The encore was a great festival ender. Herself went to bed while I tried to brave some Talking heads in Afrobeat form. I left after Once in a Lifetime and crashed.

General Views:
    Toilets were fine for me your at a festival at the end of the day. I've had much worse at EP, Castlepalooza, Knockstocken. Food was good. I ate nearly everything down at the bandstand the best food was there. No trouble with the crowd. They need to sort out the organisation a little. Better traffic and stage management. Over behind Arcadia felt like too much music going on. That samsung yoke was too loud and annoying. Move it to the an post yoke.
    Will I be back next year?? Yes I will. EP is not for me anymore and the music has been great the last 2 years. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Right so here we go -

Cans

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Right so here we go -

Friday.
    Left the house around 9:30 heading the same route as last year. Didn't hit any traffic until the blue gate. Drove in and parked up. That walk from the car park seemed unnecessary and carrying stuff up that hill was a not pleasant. I hope they come up with something new for that next year. I also walked out to the car and walked back in from the side without being stopped or checked for a wristband which was funny. Caught Kean Kavanagh as the first act which was fun. He's a grand lad. Then went down to the bandstand and got 'My Goodness' their vegan nachos are amazing!! Then sat on the grass and watched the Trinity crew. Enjoyed their Vulfpeck covers left early to get cans and change before Fontaines DC. I was up the front for that and I couldn't hear the vocals so moved a bit back and it was perfect. Their brilliant I'm a longterm fan so biased. Then caught some Orbital after but wasn't really for me so went down and saw Papa Rua on the bandstand who were lovely and relaxing. Then went to see Joshua Burnside but the sound bleed was not ideal. He even at one point said he couldn't hear himself. I think next year the comedy should be moved down beside the house. Their was too much noise for the late night folk. Wandered to Arcadia for a bit and hit the hay.

Saturday:
    Woke up and got some breakfast taco's (OHH YES!!) then watched the Glasshouse Bon Iver thing. Couldn't really hear them so left early to go see Junior Brother. He was brilliant and funny. I find his music on record sometimes hard but live the whole thing just works well. Great start! Then chilled out watching Booka Brass munching a burrito. Kojaque was next. The live band was great and had the place bouncing. As a young fella (23) I'm all over him. I left sweating and in need of more cans. Quick run back and ready for Just Mustard. They are loud and awesome. Seen them a few times and they're great although the best I've seen them was supporting the Cure which was strange. Anyway enjoyed them. Now we braved the rain for FJM. I'm a massive fan. I've seen him a few times and he is just the best. I understand why some don't get him. The performance felt like he was in 2nd gear for the first half (rain and small crowd) but he got into it and the clothes were gas,. Gig of the weekend so far. Straight over to get a spot for Loyle Carner. That guy is going places. I loved when he brought the guy from the crowd on. That felt like a special gig. We won't see him on such small stages for long. A quick dash over and caught the of Patti Smith. She was gloriaous ;). At the back but you could feel her stage presence. Got more cans and a some Indian from the Kerala kitchen (Very good). Hot chip (BOOGIE). Apres went to bandstand and dances to prince for the night, and maybe some more nachos.

Sunday:
    Blindboy at the bandstand with some kombucha for cure. That was better than expected. Would of been a real treat if somebody told the Wailers (C'mon Pod). Then I went to A Lazarus Soul to the Claque to Black Midi. Then Bombay in the rain (for herself). Never seen them before but good vibes in the rain. A quick can restock and change and we were ready for some Damon and Co. Oh boy that was a treat. His stage presence was great a true showman. Left a little early for the National who I had never seen before (I must be the only one in Ireland). I loved their new album and was glad to see it feature heavily with some classics. The encore was a great festival ender. Herself went to bed while I tried to brave some Talking heads in Afrobeat form. I left after Once in a Lifetime and crashed.

General Views:
    Toilets were fine for me your at a festival at the end of the day. I've had much worse at EP, Castlepalooza, Knockstocken. Food was good. I ate nearly everything down at the bandstand the best food was there. No trouble with the crowd. They need to sort out the organisation a little. Better traffic and stage management. Over behind Arcadia felt like too much music going on. That samsung yoke was too loud and annoying. Move it to the an post yoke.
    Will I be back next year?? Yes I will. EP is not for me anymore and the music has been great the last 2 years. Cheers!

The only thing I took away from this was that you are in fact not a lady... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mimimcmc wrote: »
    The only thing I took away from this was that you are in fact not a lady... :eek:

After the festival he put her letter back in the place where it was found - in the pocket, of a jacket, in a tra-ha-hain in town

Right so here we go -

Friday.

Saturday:

Sunday:

General Views:

Great review SC89.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I suppose we can say there is no Metropolis festival this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

I suppose we can say there is no Metropolis festival this year.

The first iteration of this festival was top notch and it went down hill from there. I hope history isn't repeating itself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Wasnt there an article over/before the summer assuming that POD would have to stop at least one of its festivals soon, possibly two? Metropolis was a no brainer. Just remains to be seen if another will go next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I wouldn't be surprised to see Metropolis not return but a quick Google shows the first announcement was August 23 last year.

https://www.goldenplec.com/festivals/metropolis-2018/

Villagers had been confirmed prior to that date (in June, I think) but Roisin Murphy, Mac de Marco, etc were announced that week.

Like I said, I don't expect it to return but I wouldn't rule it out either - at least not for a few more days!

POD seem to be a on dud run the last 12 months, though, don't they? Since the huge hit of ATN 2018 they had Metropolis, which didn't sell as well as they wanted, Forbidden Fruit (I seem to recall poor ish sales but is that a false recollection? Someone who was there might have a better insight) and the PR fiasco that surrounded ATN, which did sell out but certainly wasn't the hit of 2018 because of the traffic row. They could use a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I wouldn't be surprised to see Metropolis not return but a quick Google shows the first announcement was August 23 last year.

https://www.goldenplec.com/festivals/metropolis-2018/

Villagers had been confirmed prior to that date (in June, I think) but Roisin Murphy, Mac de Marco, etc were announced that week.

Like I said, I don't expect it to return but I wouldn't rule it out either - at least not for a few more days!

POD seem to be a on dud run the last 12 months, though, don't they? Since the huge hit of ATN 2018 they had Metropolis, which didn't sell as well as they wanted, Forbidden Fruit (I seem to recall poor ish sales but is that a false recollection? Someone who was there might have a better insight) and the PR fiasco that surrounded ATN, which did sell out but certainly wasn't the hit of 2018 because of the traffic row. They could use a win!

Nice this is hopeful.

Maybe a Friday announcement to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

Sorry for late reply on this - I saw someone comment that they found a rucksack with loads of girls clothes and make up in a hedge near exist. Sorry now but I can't recall if I saw it here or FB. Did you have any luck?? Awful thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

nicnod wrote: »
    Hi All,

I haven't posted here before but have just been checking numerous places where people are talking about ATN and thought this might be worthwhile. As soon as I got into the camping area on Friday evening (after the 6 hour traffic and hill trek with all the stuff of course!) I lay my tent flat on the ground with my rucksack, turned around to help my friends with their tent before we made a joint attempt at mine (they were standing less than a metre from me) and when I turned back to my tent my entire rucksack with all of my clothes, shoes, makeup, mattress pump etc. was taken.

No steward in the campsite (general this must be the place campsite) was able to tell me if/where there was a lost and found, I tried at least 10 people for this information including going back to the entrance and checking with staff there, when I finally found the Info point I was given a lollipop and told not to let it ruin the festival!! At first I thought somebody mistakenly may have taken it thinking it belonged to a person in their group but I know the same thing happened to at least 4 others from meeting people during my various trips to the very unhelpful Info point over the weekend. I have been to a number of festivals here and abroad and have never worried about items such as clothing being stolen before, I was completely shocked by this ATN and would say there definitely was some kind of element of scum present at the festival and it really did put such a dampener on the weekend for me, I was quite wary of those around after that point.

I've since received the lost and found email for POD but not too hopeful of getting my stuff back at this point, on the off chance any of you do hear of anybody that found a lot of female clothing/rucksack please let me know!

Thanks!
    Sorry for late reply on this - I saw someone comment that they found a rucksack with loads of girls clothes and make up in a hedge near exist. Sorry now but I can't recall if I saw it here or FB. Did you have any luck?? Awful thing to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dodo87

This time last year I had my ticket! Still no sign

Advertisement