Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

sporina wrote: »
    I am aware of all the issues with the fest this year and those who were adversely affected have my sympathy, but I had one of the best weekend of my life - this is thanks to amazing local mates who put us up and drove us in and out every day and the line up had our names alllll over it - we had to pick and choose big time..

But the one thing I have to say is "sustainability" my eye!!!! My god, when I think of the time I spent choosing a reusable water bottle and coffee cup - only to be served beer in plastic and coffee was being sole in gallons in non compostable/disposable cups.. wtf

The 'plastic' beer cups were compostable, they're made from plant starch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I am aware of all the issues with the fest this year and those who were adversely affected have my sympathy, but I had one of the best weekend of my life - this is thanks to amazing local mates who put us up and drove us in and out every day and the line up had our names alllll over it - we had to pick and choose big time..

But the one thing I have to say is "sustainability" my eye!!!! My god, when I think of the time I spent choosing a reusable water bottle and coffee cup - only to be served beer in plastic and coffee was being sole in gallons in non compostable/disposable cups.. wtf

Every beer I got was in a compostable pint "glass"

I also had a great weekend, no complaints at least from our camp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

Every beer I got was in a compostable pint "glass"

I also had a great weekend, no complaints at least from our camp

they wer? i didn't know that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

they wer? i didn't know that..

They had signs up about what was compostable etc. What did you do with your rubbish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    They had signs up about what was compostable etc. What did you do with your rubbish :)

general waste :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They'll still turn to compost in landfill anyway. Just don't recycle them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MJohnston wrote: »
    They'll still turn to compost in landfill anyway. Just don't recycle them!
    I'd say it's well incinerated by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mrk75

It's not an easy sell. When people have a few scoops on board or are just buzzing about from stage to stage they maybe don't take the time to consider sorting their rubbish and deciding what bin it goes into. Plus when you see that all bins have mixed waste in them anyway....what's the point?

But the thing that got my goat was all the talk about concern for the environment when their traffic plans resulted in hundreds (thousands?) of cars idling on country road spewing fumes into the air - notwithstanding that I'm sure most of them turned off the engines when they could...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mrk75 wrote: »
    It's not an easy sell. When people have a few scoops on board or are just buzzing about from stage to stage they maybe don't take the time to consider sorting their rubbish and deciding what bin it goes into. Plus when you see that all bins have mixed waste in them anyway....what's the point?

But the thing that got my goat was all the talk about concern for the environment when their traffic plans resulted in hundreds (thousands?) of cars idling on country road spewing fumes into the air - notwithstanding that I'm sure most of them turned off the engines when they could...

Probably the carbon equivalent of 3, maybe 4 blasts of the arcadia afterburner

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dodo87

I for one hope they are on sale next week! I cant see how traffic will stop them delaying the release of the tickets! They will want to generate cash and the majority of people I know had a great weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Surely they still have some traffic issues to sort out?
    No doubt they will get them sorted, but they may want to look at possible solutions before putting tickets on sale.

They may have a couple of smaller issues they may want to look at too. No doubt the publicity the festival got and the slight increase may have given them something to give a little more attention too.
    (I hope they go on sale soon too :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The local authority and the police may have concerns about the licence. There may be some form of review demanded by authorities. Whatever about the inconvenience for people attending, the authorities have to consider whether there is an issue for locals or whether the route can sustain the numbers which attended. They cannot have a position where an ambulance or fire engine cannot get through. Given the extreme nature of the traffic issue, they may want answers before proceeding.

Nowhere close, it's run on recycled bio fuel from chipper oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Hoboo wrote: »

I took that as very witty sarcasm....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The local authority and the police may have concerns about the licence. There may be some form of review demanded by authorities. Whatever about the inconvenience for people attending, the authorities have to consider whether there is an issue for locals or whether the route can sustain the numbers which attended. They cannot have a position where an ambulance or fire engine cannot get through. Given the extreme nature of the traffic issue, they may want answers before proceeding.

I'd say there would have to be tbh. I know it's all subject to licence but a review so soon after might be sensible. It's Garda and council's reputation on line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the Gardai signed off on that traffic management plan, if not outright designed it. It was on their website after all.
    As usual though, they'll probably send blame every which way rather than take any criticism themselves.

the Gardai signed off on that traffic management plan, if not outright designed it. It was on their website after all.
    As usual though, they'll probably send blame every which way rather than take any criticism themselves.

The plan is just the routes though not the operation of it. Didn't people says cars were being parked from front not back and parking cars individually? Definitely should examine their own role too but not sure that will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Eod100 wrote: »
    The plan is just the routes though not the operation of it. Didn't people says cars were being parked from front not back and parking cars individually? Definitely should examine their own role too but not sure that will happen

I think that will happen to be fair. I gave my feedback (level-headed) and, whilst not wanting to quote what they said, they were not happy. They intimated that a full analysis was going to happen with everyone that was involved. To me, that would include themselves.
    I have confidence that it will happen.

sure, but that was happening in the red car park too when we got there at 2pm, and we had maybe 2mins of queuing to get through the gates, coming from the south (after going all the way down the M9 from Dublin and looping around via the N25). Friends that left Dublin an hour before us and went for the blue entrance using the official route had already been stuck in traffic an hour at that stage.

Routing everyone through Carrick-on-Suir and up that tiny little laneway was completely stupid, and a far bigger issue I'd say.

If they had all family, campervans/caravans and boutique campers avoid that, and continue down the M9 and into the red car park from the south, it would have alleviated a decent chunk of traffic. Both Sides Now campsite should have been on that route too.

Instead, the traffic plan had everyone from the west/north/east that needed the red entrance coming past the blue entrance for no discernible reason.

e: and just to add, we actually took a wrong turn and ended up in Portlaw itself, before turning around and going on a small back road a bit of the way. None of the roads around it were closed that we saw, didn't see one Garda until we got to the red gate itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Routing everyone through Carrick-on-Suir and up that tiny little laneway was completely stupid, and a far bigger issue I'd say.

If they had all family, campervans/caravans and boutique campers avoid that, and continue down the M9 and into the red car park from the south, it would have alleviated a decent chunk of traffic.

Instead, the traffic plan had everyone from the west/north/east that needed the red entrance coming past the blue entrance for no discernible reason.

That was essentially my feedback to them! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

It doesnt have to be about blame, although the media and others will seek to ensure someone is to blame. The issue is about learning for next year. Can the routes that were chosen work properly if they are better personned, signposted etc. Are the routes inherently insufficient to take the strain if there are a number of accidents. If they cant determine that satisfactorily then they are lining up the same result.

I think that will happen to be fair. I gave my feedback (level-headed) and, whilst not wanting to quote what they said, they were not happy. They intimated that a full analysis was going to happen with everyone that was involved. To me, that would include themselves.
    I have confidence that it will happen.

I mean the Gardai's role in it. Think ATN will do their own review alright

sure, but that was happening in the red car park too when we got there at 2pm, and we had maybe 2mins of queuing to get through the gates, coming from the south (after going all the way down the M9 from Dublin and looping around via the N25). Friends that left Dublin an hour before us and went for the blue entrance using the official route had already been stuck in traffic an hour at that stage.

If they had all family, campervans/caravans and boutique campers avoid that, and continue down the M9 and into the red car park from the south, it would have alleviated a decent chunk of traffic. Both Sides Now campsite should have been on that route too.

e: and just to add, we actually took a wrong turn and ended up in Portlaw itself, before turning around and going on a small back road a bit of the way. None of the roads around it were closed that we saw, didn't see one Garda until we got to the red gate itself.

I think they didn't want cars going through Portlaw though. Same reason shuttle buses didn't go from there but buses did go through there from Waterford. I think access is a big issue alright. Obviously access roads an issue but must be better way of organising it too

It doesnt have to be about blame, although the media and others will seek to ensure someone is to blame. The issue is about learning for next year. Can the routes that were chosen work properly if they are better personned, signposted etc. Are the routes inherently insufficient to take the strain if there are a number of accidents. If they cant determine that satisfactorily then they are lining up the same result.
    having worked with councils and Gardai on road matters on a regular basis, it most certainly will be.
    I think they didn't want cars going through Portlaw though. Same reason shuttle buses didn't go from there but buses did go through there from Waterford. I think access is a big issue alright. Obviously access roads an issue but must be better way of organising it too

the N25 route doesn't take cars or buses through Portlaw:
    https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/traffic-routes-curraghmore-estate-portlaw-co-waterford-2019.pdf

and if they didn't want people going through it, then maybe they should think about putting a Garda actually on the road leading in to it, or closing it off. Clearly they didn't give that much of a f-uck about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Any whispers on early bird tickets for next year yet?

They have to get a license or next year first

MadYaker wrote: »
    pretty much every outdoor event sells tickets before getting a licence, would imagine ATN next year will be no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

MadYaker wrote: »

Event licence only has to be applied for 10 weeks ahead of the event.

D'you not remember Garth Brooks?! :eek::P

EDIT: Fwiw, I don't anticipate any issues getting a licence next year. The plans are pulled together with the local council and gardaí - often the traffic management is a stock plan FROM the gardaí. They might have to put on a few extra buses or get a shuttle park and ride nearby but it'd be fine otherwise. This year's plan would have involved pre-consultations with the local authorities and the gardaí so unless ATN deviated drastically (which I doubt), they won't have a major issue.

Only possible sticking point is if there's a particularly powerful business/politician in Portlaw or Carrick that kicks up a stink in the next few weeks or months.

I've a vague recollection of the Arcade Fire gig in either Marlay Park or Malahide not having their licence approved until the day of the gig, or possibly even after it, officially.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hoboo wrote: »

Recycled bio fuel still releases CO2 when its burned

• Advertisement

Recycled bio fuel still releases CO2 when its burned

Indeed it does.

Advertisement