Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The top two lines are all big international acts (as far as i'm aware they're all from the UK)

But I agree with your other points.

Personally I think it's a great rock lineup for a tiny price.

I do think something needs to be done with making irish fests more affordable, with my EP loyalty ticket i have this @ 155 euro.

But ATN is quite expensive and doesn't deliver money wise to the consumer imo.

What does everyone else think?

I think EP became an underage cesspit 8/9 years ago. If ATN was 400 I'd go, it'd keep the kids and scum at EP.

May not deliver in some ways, but crowd wise, it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

hankless wrote: »
    I was there too. Hands down one of the best electronic gigs I've been to and really enjoyed him showcasing Singularity, one of the best Electronic Albums of the last decade. Made a pact with myself after the gig to never miss one of his sets in Ireland again.

Different strokes for different folks.

His visuals failed a bit sporadically at the start so he paused the gig, apologized and turned them off. It didn't matter. The display set up in Vicar Street is amateur at best. Everything else, including the sound, was perfect.

His Body & Soul set though was absolutely mind blowing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Hoboo wrote: »
    I think EP became an underage cesspit 8/9 years ago. If ATN was 400 I'd go, it'd keep the kids and scum at EP.

May not deliver in some ways, but crowd wise, it's perfect.

I suppose i'll label my question in another way.

Do you feel the lineup/amenities are worth 200+ when compared to other festivals here or abroad disregarding the crowd that attends?

Lets say that EP had the same style crowd as ATN for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

I'm with sweetie: That YNot festival looks grim. Diversity of music was spot on at ATN last year, nice balance of guitar:electronic. I'd hate to see it go full-indie or full-any-other-genre.

And I agree with Hoboo: I'd also pay as much as it takes to not feel like I was babysitting out of control 15 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,327 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do you feel the lineup/amenities are worth 200+ when compared to other festivals here or abroad disregarding the crowd that attends?

We don't know this years ATN line up yet, so its kinda difficult to compare yet ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It all depends what Beatyard comes up with this year, their lineup was pretty amazing last year.

Was forgetting about there, guess it's more of a city or day festival than say a camping one but it's handy for people living in Dublin!

greenspurs wrote: »
    We don't know this years ATN line up yet, so its kinda difficult to compare yet ?

Last year. i'm unable to ask peoples experience of the future. Unless there's time machines involved.

Then my first question would be, what's the time machine like?

I think EP can afford to charge less because if it's scale. Is it's capacity something like 55,000 these days? Don't think ATN sold out last year but are they aiming for 15,000 this year? I think price is fine at earlier tiers. Maybe bit expensive at full price but still fairly competitive to similar sized festivals like Indiependence. I think people are willing to pay bitmore cause it's something new, smaller scale and great location particularly for anyone from Munster. Plus bonus of bank holiday Monday which EP doesn't have.

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think EP can afford to charge less because if it's scale. Is it's capacity something like 55,000 these days? Don't think ATN sold out last year but are they aiming for 15,000 this year? I think price is fine at earlier tiers. Maybe bit expensive at full price but still fairly competitive to similar sized festivals like Indiependence. I think people are willing to pay bitmore cause it's something new, smaller scale and great location particularly for anyone from Munster. Plus bonus of bank holiday Monday which EP doesn't have.

For your buck do you feel like you got a good lineup/experience compared to lesser priced fests? in UK or elsewhere.

For the record I enjoyed ATN a lot. I'm just looking at what other places are offering and having a think about what we are delivered.

I think the secondary stages and other things need work but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Very interested to see how ATN will fare if the weather isn't so perfect.

The lineup didn't do a whole lot for me (some acts excluded), but was perfectly fine sunny afternoon fare with a pint.

Dunno if I'd have been bothered standing around in the rain for a lot of them

Another thing to note is that big hill between the house and the main arena, not sure I would have been arsed walking down that if it was muddy all weekend.

Aug bank holiday is traditionally decent enough weather, but we could get unlucky.

• Advertisement

Last year. i'm unable to ask peoples experience of the future. Unless there's time machines involved.

Then my first question would be, what's the time machine like?

Salty ! :rolleyes:

My opinion is that it is worth the price, for what we got.
    The majority of festivals tend to start with a 'weak' line up, and then if it does well , the profile of the line should improve. I'm hoping that is the case for ATN19, I'm hoping for less dj 'music' and maybe a bit more guitar driven .
    if the line up isn't better this year, then I would be very disappointed .
    But i'll still be there .

I think we need to start actively campaigning for a September Bank Holiday. :)

For your buck do you feel like you got a good lineup/experience compared to lesser priced fests? in UK or elsewhere.

For the record I enjoyed ATN a lot. I'm just looking at what other places are offering and having a think about what we are delivered.

I haven't been to any festival in UK so can't compare tbh. But think any comparison there would probably have to take into account of costs of flights, playing extra to bring tent etc and probably having to take more time of work to travel. And obviously size of those festivals. I do think sometimes gigs here seem more expensive than UK but festivals seem ok. May be easier for them because obviously far bigger population probably sustains more festivals and keeps price competitive. There are more camping festivals here than previously but not on same same as UK due to population. Guess it's just economies of scale really

Salty ! :rolleyes:

My opinion is that it is worth the price, for what we got.
    The majority of festivals tend to start with a 'weak' line up, and then if it does well , the profile of the line should improve. I'm hoping that is the case for ATN19, I'm hoping for less dj 'music' and maybe a bit more guitar driven .
    if the line up isn't better this year, then I would be very disappointed .
    But i'll still be there .

I wouldn't go as far to say i'm salty.

You just have a habit of not keeping up with general conversation. It's pretty apparent from your postings in Gigs & Events.

D.Q wrote: »
    Very interested to see how ATN will fare if the weather isn't so perfect.

The lineup didn't do a whole lot for me (some acts excluded), but was perfectly fine sunny afternoon fare with a pint.

Dunno if I'd have been bothered standing around in the rain for a lot of them

Another thing to note is that big hill between the house and the main arena, not sure I would have been arsed walking down that if it was muddy all weekend.

Aug bank holiday is traditionally decent enough weather, but we could get unlucky.

If that hill is muddy it would turn into a slide very quickly! :P

I wouldn't go as far to say i'm salty.

You just have a habit of not keeping up with general conversation. It's pretty apparent from your postings in Gigs & Events.

I think you proved it...

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Anywhere in or around EUR200 give or take a few bob is absolutely fine.
    Getting to see at least 5 decent gigs each day, surrounded by good vibes, good people, hopefully decent weather is money well spent.
    The free flow policy is amazing, and we were only around 5 mins walk from car to tent.

I think we need to start actively campaigning for a September Bank Holiday. :)

Well we could do with about 2 or 3 more compared to other European countries! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Well we could do with about 2 or 3 more compared to other European countries! :)
    or do like Spain and have them on Thursdays, and then (in many companies), get Friday off as a "bridge day", so a 4 day weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Electric Picnic is exceptional value, especially if you purchase an early bird for €160. Usually you get 4/5 major acts as headliners, a very in depth and strong undercard, the best Irish music has to offer and then so many great little stages with local musicians/DJs dotted around the festival, there must be more than 30 stages at EP altogether? The fact that is is camping as well, I'd say you would do well to find many festivals that represent better value for money across Europe. Primavera gets a great lineup but it isn't camping and can probably afford to spend more on acts. Mad Cool/NOS Alive and many other European festivals have great headliners every year but not as strong of an undercard and not as many stages.

All Together Now definitely doesn't represent as good value for money but most are willing to pay it for A) the nicer crowd and B) the hope that the festival will grow and become better. Last year was an amazing weekend but if I'm being super critical about it, the lineup wasn't that strong and I felt there wasn't great variety of things to do.

The lineup I am expecting to improve this year and hope they don't stick to the tried and tested POD bookings. I think they could definitely do with another area or two.. It's hard to explain what it felt like but I never got that sense of wonder when wandering around at night time that I have at EP or Body & Soul, maybe the areas were just too close together or something but I felt like a 5 min walk around the main stage, 2 big tents and Arcadia and you felt like you were out of options.

• Advertisement

I think you proved it...

I'll happily wear my crown of saltiness if you admit you're slow and can't keep up with general conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure Electric Picnic is exceptional value at all if we're going to compare it to European Festivals

I'll happily wear my crown of saltiness if you admit you're slow and can't keep up with general conversation.

I am sooo sorry , oh Lord of Festivals ....
    I answered your (poorly worded) question ,and you got sarky with me, so apologies Lord.

( And I wouldn't risk derailing the thread by asking you wtf you are on about )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

AdamD wrote: »
    Not sure Electric Picnic is exceptional value at all if we're going to compare it to European Festivals

Do you not think so? Maybe it is just exceptional value for what I prioritize then. In terms of headliners it might not be as good value as some other European festivals, but overall I'd say it is. Mad Cool 2018 had a phenomenal lineup for example, 3 day ticket only around €170, but it isn't a camping festival and only has 7 stages. Suppose it depends what you want out of a festival.

Electric Picnic is exceptional value, especially if you purchase an early bird for €160. Usually you get 4/5 major acts as headliners, a very in depth and strong undercard, the best Irish music has to offer and then so many great little stages with local musicians/DJs dotted around the festival, there must be more than 30 stages at EP altogether? The fact that is is camping as well, I'd say you would do well to find many festivals that represent better value for money across Europe. Primavera gets a great lineup but it isn't camping and can probably afford to spend more on acts. Mad Cool/NOS Alive and many other European festivals have great headliners every year but not as strong of an undercard and not as many stages.

All Together Now definitely doesn't represent as good value for money but most are willing to pay it for A) the nicer crowd and B) the hope that the festival will grow and become better. Last year was an amazing weekend but if I'm being super critical about it, the lineup wasn't that strong and I felt there wasn't great variety of things to do.

The lineup I am expecting to improve this year and hope they don't stick to the tried and tested POD bookings. I think they could definitely do with another area or two.. It's hard to explain what it felt like but I never got that sense of wonder when wandering around at night time that I have at EP or Body & Soul, maybe the areas were just too close together or something but I felt like a 5 min walk around the main stage, 2 big tents and Arcadia and you felt like you were out of options.

All of that I would agree with, but for me, its some of the clientele that have started going over the last few years that makes me not go to it anymore . Its a pity, but it happens ....
    And that's what attracts me to ATN.... relaxed vibe, very few 'messy' buggers going around... and the weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Would Nal go ? - given his utter hatred of Slane ?

I haven't been but ATN seems to be the opposite of Slane. Well run, loads of amenities and no one-gig-a-decade Dublin knacks or sweaty bog warriors from the midlands out for the day whos favourite song is Sweet Child O' Mine.

The sort of outdoor music the country should aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't understand all the blether for ATN is Body & Soul not announced before this, how come conversation is not flowing in the B&S thread?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭endainoz

The Nal wrote:
    I haven't been but ATN seems to be the opposite of Slane. Well run, loads of amenities and no one-gig-a-decade Dublin knacks or sweaty bog warriors from the midlands out for the day whos favourite song is Sweet Child O' Mine.

The Nal wrote:
    The sort of outdoor music the country should aspire to.

It's true why should anyone from the country enjoy a gig, should be reserved for elitists like yourself. Love the way you keep managing to get your dig in on Slane again. You must really have been mentally scarred there.

Can't wait to hear 'Vanderlyle crybaby geeks' at Alltogethernow.

Hoping for 'About today' though.

Nice way to close the festival.

Will be 3rd time seeing the national in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I don't understand all the blether for ATN is Body & Soul not announced before this, how come conversation is not flowing in the B&S thread?

I'd say it's because B&S line ups tend to be fairly low key/obscure so there's not much fun in predicting them.

Also people tend to go to B&S regardless of the lineup whereas a lot people on here seem to be of the view that ATN need to step it up this year.

And B&S is fairly well settled whereas everyone's wondering what ATN will do in terms of layout etc. in its sophomore year.

That my three cents anyway.

Advertisement