Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Percentages of average rainfall for the period November 3rd-9th 2018 in Ireland, as much as 300% or more of average in the past week in the southeast of the country. Very wet week and possibly wettest week since January.

hQI38FF.png

All synoptic stations had a daily rainfall of at least 10mm yesterday.

vDTzYdr.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another showery wet day here at Dunshaughlin. Ground is saturated after a week of very wet conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Despite over 300% of average rainfall the past week here in Waterford I'm very surprised how well the water has drained in the garden. Water table must still be very low after the good summer, normally I'd be sloshing around the garden after 6 inches of rain in a week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like we may get a few days of dryness after Wednesday as we draw up a very mild wind from the med and North Africa. Thursday and Friday could see mid teens, perhaps even 16C if we get decent sunny spells, but fog could be a problem which would keep temperatures lower.

Cooling down again slightly into next weekend as winds could switch to the south-east drawing air in from Central Europe and Germany, again fog could be a problem into next week weekend.

I think we could all do with a break from the Altlantic muck, several days of dry conditions with perhaps foggy conditions at times would be a very welcome change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

MJohnston wrote: »
    Very much doubt the drought (or what you actually mean - water shortages) is over - November is a wet month on average, so we're still playing catchup.

Well the rivers around these parts are filling fast and close to spilling over in places already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Well the rivers around these parts are filling fast and close to spilling over in places already.

Yeah but that doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of water reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 10/11/18 16.15 temperature 8°C
    w5pTeGq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Had some nice clearing yesterday evening at Tramore Waterford before the high tide
    AZST38Sl.jpg

Held enough to pic up some aurora up the boonies as well

vEVehnq.png

second half of today was better, the showers stopped and the skies cleared. Currently cool and mostly clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Belter of a shower over Waterford right now! :eek:

• Advertisement

charts this evening are very promising for some settled and dry conditions beginning next Thursday. It will be a welcome relief from all this Altlantic muck and misery that's plagued November so far.

If this works out it looks like the Atlantic is going on it's holidays once again and a continental airstream will take it's place.

It's possible that this could eventually lead to a direct easterly with wintry conditions before December but we are a long way off from that, for now hopefully we can look forward to 4+ days of dry, calm and autumn like conditions with spells of sunshine, some frost and possibly foggy conditions leading to some atmospheric photography situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Strange weather in Cork City today. Felt very mixed between autumn and winter. Leaves are everywhere since the storm yesterday, everything is saturated from the very heavy rain showers and its very cold. Ground is actually pretty dangerous with the wet leaves. Also slightly foggy, most likely due to the cold air.

Drought is over in the city anyway nearly, lots of gardens I went by today had pools in them and the fields just outside the city were the same. Parents in West Cork atm say its still not great down there but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gonzo wrote: »
    charts this evening are very promising for some settled and dry conditions beginning next Thursday. It will be a welcome relief from all this Altlantic muck and misery that's plagued November so far.

If this works out it looks like the Atlantic is going on it's holidays once again and a continental airstream will take it's place.

It's possible that this could eventually lead to a direct easterly with wintry conditions before December but we are a long way off from that, for now hopefully we can look forward to 4+ days of dry, calm and autumn like conditions with spells of sunshine, some frost and possibly foggy conditions leading to some atmospheric photography situations.

Good stuff
    Can handle 3 or 4 wet days as long as they are broken up by some dry spells
    Can’t ask for more than that in the west of Ireland in fairness !!!!
    Been a really good run of weather last 6 months or so

Heavens have opened here in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glorious starry sky earlier when I was outside cat catching... deluging now and cold. west mayo offshore island

Just had a torrential downpour here in cork city. Mix of hail and rain, wouldn’t like to have been caught out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like we may get a few days of dryness after Wednesday as we draw up a very mild wind from the med and North Africa. Thursday and Friday could see mid teens, perhaps even 16C if we get decent sunny spells, but fog could be a problem which would keep temperatures lower.

Cooling down again slightly into next weekend as winds could switch to the south-east drawing air in from Central Europe and Germany, again fog could be a problem into next week weekend.

I think we could all do with a break from the Altlantic muck, several days of dry conditions with perhaps foggy conditions at times would be a very welcome change.

While I know we're all sick of Atlantic muck,I personally hate temps in the teens winter or summer and we're now in winter. So for me, news of mid teens this week is not good. Typical of our very boring climate I guess, but I'm sure plenty will disagree. I like proper seasonal weather and being able to dress accordingly without being too hot or too cold. Doesn't look like that will be the case any time soon.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deluge here. The sky and mountains vanished in a wall of navy blue sky, then that liquidised and fell and is falling still.... west mayo offshore island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

acequion wrote: »
    While I know we're all sick of Atlantic muck,I personally hate temps in the teens winter or summer and we're now in winter. So for me, news of mid teens this week is not good. Typical of our very boring climate I guess, but I'm sure plenty will disagree. I like proper seasonal weather and being able to dress accordingly without being too hot or too cold. Doesn't look like that will be the case any time soon.:(

Actually it is still the meteorological autumn. Winter starts on 1st December.

Just has one hell of a shower here with hail mixed in. The only way to describe it was sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A miserable dark wet morning in Castlebar, 12mm of rain already.

Well that was interesting, I know too much info. Was sitting on loo and there flash of lightening and clap of thunder that could be felt through the seat :eek:

after a nice sunny morning, looks like more heavy rain/showers on the way, sky darkening now near Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

spookwoman wrote: »
    Well that was interesting, I know too much info. Was sitting on loo and there flash of lightening and clap of thunder that could be felt through the seat :eek:

I'd say you shat yourself...

downpour here now, another dark, wet and awful day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Don't mind this weather, interesting cloudscapes, heavy showers and glimpses of the sun. It's the grey persistent drizzle that gets me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrendous day in the south east. Miserable wet and dark. Hopefully the week ahead brings some dry mild weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A beautiful morning to an awful afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You're always hoping for dry and mild this time of year, a very improbable outcome - it'll get mild midweek, but in November that means rain. Then the week after it looks like it'll get nice, clear, and dry for a good while, but it's November, so that means it'll be cold. Just a bit of a meteorological constant (well apart from how broken our climate is becoming but still)

Advertisement