Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Atrocious here in Dublin. Windy and very wet with spot flooding in the City Centre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really horrendous day at Dunshaughlin too. Lights on since 1pm, heating on full blast. Lots of surface water, gutters overflowing, rain coming down in sheets, windy. Water logging after some very wet days over the past week.

This is shaping up to be a very unsettled and Atlantic dominated November after such a peasant October.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bucketing down now in Dublin 16. Nasty out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Steady moderate rain here, glad I worked from home today, driving must be a nightmare. Fires lit, warm and cosy, tinnies in the fridge, its Friday, aww yeah!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Crazy out there now with torrential driving rain. Garden flooded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    In summary,

September - A fairly mild and mixed month. Likely to be on the relatively wetter than average side but no big deviation.
    October - Settled and fairly mild again. Lot of quiet weather.
    November - Very wet, mild and stormy. Plenty of gales and rain.

Remember long range forecasting is not to be relied upon and is just for fun.

November is bang on the money so far from my Autumn 2018 forecast, surprised with how successful the forecast has been.

Really wet in Dublin 13 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sun trying to break through the clouds in Waterford lovely golden glow about now. Big Rainbow to the north north east

Area of heavy rain moving into the Dublin region now. Just in time for the Friday evening commute......

465754.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

sryanbruen wrote: »
    November is bang on the money so far from my Autumn 2018 forecast, surprised with how successful the forecast has been.

Really wet in Dublin 13 too.

Glad I went for the 150% rain totals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Supercell wrote: »
    Steady moderate rain here, glad I worked from home today, driving must be a nightmare. Fires lit, warm and cosy, tinnies in the fridge, its Friday, aww yeah!

The traffic is so bad. I've been on the bus for 40 mins and I'm nowhere near home yet... the journey usually takes 30 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been out for a short walk, and breezy and fresh but between deluges and pleasant... west mayo, offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ref dublin Traffic
    There's a breakdown in the northbound bore of the Port Tunnel and traffic is still heavy on this route.

The N7 is slow outbound from the Red Cow Interchange to J3 Citywest.
    Nearby, Gardaí will be directing traffic until approx. 9pm at the entrance to Citywest Hotel due to a large event, and traffic is heavy approaching the hotel from the N7 on Garter Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

North Kildare. Rain became amazingly heavy a few minutes ago. proper torrential! I looked like very thick fog during the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Get me a boat, torrential downpour here, im glad it looks like the clearance is not far away

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh! No dedicated thread for today' warnings?

Anyway top gust of 95kmh at my station and 25mm.

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1060940009237291010

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

odyboody wrote: »
    If your looking at the met radar on the PC it is in the menu on the right.
    Weather Maps, Rainfall Forecast (7 day)

For some reason this is not accurate at all and at times totally at variance with the forecast - I have been monitoring it over several weeks, at first for specific reasons and then just to see if it could be relied upon for future use. For example, the 7 day forecast could indicate heavy rain for a particular day and immediately underneath that, the hourly charts for the same day could predict zero or minimal rainfall. Last evening, for instance, a yellow rainfall warning was in effect, the daily chart for today showed heavy rain, yet the hourly chart showed less than 4mm for the day, for my area. In fact, we had in excess of 20mm up to 14.00hrs, the heaviest rainfall between midday and 14.00 hrs.

At first, I thought this was a glitch when ME revised their website, but this explanation is no longer tenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Non stop lashing rain in Bray since 1pm.

This is what it must feel like to live in the West! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has stopped in Dublin 16. 19.2mm since around 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Think the rain rate per hour reading on wicklowweather.com has gone haywire :eek: :D
    1645.8mm/hr at 17:09

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A Station record gust of 109.5km/h at my station in Waterford City beating the previous high of 108.8 recorded during Ophelia. I was traveling to Clare at the time but relatives told me winds had eased somewhat and out of nowhere a Huge Gust came at 15.55.
    Conditions on my drive were pretty awful up to about Clonmel after which rain stopped and skies brightened. Worst flooding was at the roundabout near Tesco on the outskirts of Limerick City
    www.waterfordweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

14.2mm here near Tralee, most from the main band of rain going through around midday. Temp rose to 13.6C after the front went through. Bar dropped to 978.9 hPa and on the climb again now at 978.9 hPa

ghAUbpj.png?1

Sunny spells in the afternoon with showers from big convective clouds.

Pic Tralee 16.20

XzYjLfp.jpg?1

NASA

7dCPFqW.jpg

tempresult_dbr4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

21mm in Kildare after a wild and soggy evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

If only this was snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain stopped. Garden is now fully back to soft and soaking as if the summer drought never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

NMB wrote: »
    If only this was snow

If only it was 30 degrees and sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Maidhci wrote: »
    For some reason this is not accurate at all and at times totally at variance with the forecast - I have been monitoring it over several weeks, at first for specific reasons and then just to see if it could be relied upon for future use. For example, the 7 day forecast could indicate heavy rain for a particular day and immediately underneath that, the hourly charts for the same day could predict zero or minimal rainfall. Last evening, for instance, a yellow rainfall warning was in effect, the daily chart for today showed heavy rain, yet the hourly chart showed less than 4mm for the day, for my area. In fact, we had in excess of 20mm up to 14.00hrs, the heaviest rainfall between midday and 14.00 hrs.

At first, I thought this was a glitch when ME revised their website, but this explanation is no longer tenable.

You just asked where it was and that was the answer, but it seems you already knew that :confused::confused: If you want to stir it with Met there is a thread for that

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

If only it was 30 degrees and sunny.

Nah there would be too many complaining about not being able to sleep ;)
    At least the drought is over anyway......."jeez the land is fieeerrccceee wet"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice Autumn light this morning in Kerry , 8.8C with overnight showers, cloud filling in a bit again but still tracts of blue sunny sky.

qlTB2CG.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

km79 wrote: »
    Nah there would be too many complaining about not being able to sleep ;)
    At least the drought is over anyway......."jeez the land is fieeerrccceee wet"

Very much doubt the drought (or what you actually mean - water shortages) is over - November is a wet month on average, so we're still playing catchup.

Advertisement