Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

An altogether perfect autumn day.. complete with being dangerously dazzled by the lowshining sun as I drove today...

The ocean and mountains are a shining and a shimmering of breathtaking loveliness.. awesome weather

As we crossed back, a distinct sharpness in the air, breathing of frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Claremorris co mayo 17/10/18 6.15 temperature 10°C
    20181017_181640_zpsmummwje7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Each day since Sunday has had their great moments and the past week in general bar Friday/Saturday has been bliss for the most part, Wednesday last week was special in particular.

Mostly clear skies again this evening in Dublin 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Each day since Sunday has had their great moments and the past week in general bar Friday/Saturday has been bliss for the most part, Wednesday last week was special in particular.

Mostly clear skies again this evening in Dublin 13.

Wednesday was probably the best day since June 28 for me. September had nice days but none of them beat Wednesday. Today has been nice too, a bit cloudier than recent days but still some good sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Beautiful day today,plesently warm in the sun shine, the breeze would skin you though when the sun would disappear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Glorious evening in Waterford. Quite warm and little or no breeze on the coast

45391714261_6030b28fdb_c.jpg

Sunset over the Metal Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Did anyone see a meteor/fireball in the sky at 11pm tonight? Saw a really bright streak travelling towards the south horizon that disappeared after about 2-3 seconds. Was very noticeable and bright but can't find any reports of it online!

If MT's current forecast happens exactly like it sounds, then this will easily be my favourite October that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

First frost of the year on cars and the grass here in cork city for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

First significant frost of the season here, the lawns and garden is white, and more importantly the sun is shining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

First light frost in Naas, enough to freeze the windscreen but not the other windows.

Hopefully plenty more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Fairly thick fog. Overnight low of -1.1c. currently -0.3c. North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ballinasloe co galway 18/10/18 8.10 temperature -1°C
    20181018_081423_zps7byn1izz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A new air pressure record for October looks certain, at the moment it stands at 1043hpa. Met.ie doesn't give the place or date where or when this record was set.

fax120s.gif?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first frost of the season has cleared here with dazzling autumn sunshine, perfect conditions for mid October.

A new air pressure record for October looks certain, at the moment it stands at 1043hpa. Met.ie doesn't give the place or date where or when this record was set.

31 October 1956 at Malin Head?

https://www.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

archives-1956-10-31-12-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Did anyone see a meteor/fireball in the sky at 11pm tonight? Saw a really bright streak travelling towards the south horizon that disappeared after about 2-3 seconds. Was very noticeable and bright but can't find any reports of it online!

my wife was driving through Edgeworthstown at around 1.30am and saw like a shooting comet thing in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice night out with a good view of Mars close alongside the Moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mellow fruitfulness man :)

A fab Summer and now a gorgeous Autumn in the south east. If only we could have more years like this:)
    (I know it was TOO dry earlier on.... but what a year!!)

• Advertisement

my wife was driving through Edgeworthstown at around 1.30am and saw like a shooting comet thing in the sky

Odd if there were two in the one night, mine was 11pm on the dot! I've found a few reports on twitter from Derry so know I'm not crazy at least.

It looked pretty much identical to this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Regardless to whether that blocking pattern verifies it must be a near record amount of patterns like this we have seen in the last year or so. Remarkable stuff considering how elusive they have been in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Regardless to whether that blocking pattern verifies it must be a near record amount of patterns like this we have seen in the last year or so. Remarkable stuff considering how elusive they have been in the past.

I was just going to post the same thing. It has been a brilliant year for blocking. If the status quo continues well then I see no reason not to be excited going into the winter season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Been a great spell of weather, cloudier today but decent temp getting up to 15.9C here in Tralee. Looking forward to a few frosty and foggy mornings hopefully, like here a few days ago, as pressure builds next week .

0M3nNT9.jpg?1

pad199207 wrote: »
    I was just going to post the same thing. It has been a brilliant year for blocking. If the status quo continues well then I see no reason not to be excited going into the winter season.

Wasn't there a similar spell to this in October 2010? Maybe I have the wrong year but seem to recall a lot of clear calm weather with some frosty nights

Wasn't there a similar spell to this in October 2010? Maybe I have the wrong year but seem to recall a lot of clear calm weather with some frosty nights

Correct :)

I don't think I've seen any frosts so far, hopefully I have my first frost soon. It's been a beautiful week with lots more nice weather to come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No clear skies in Cork City this evening, just cloud. Was nice during the morning and afternoon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

Wednesday‎ ‎17‎ ‎October‎ ‎2018 19:04, West Cork

Advertisement