Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I am just thrilled to see snow on the mountains finally. I love winter hill walking in snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Fairly epic run with one frame to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Kind of amusing how Winter 2017-18's discussion thread had 2395 posts and Winter 2018-19's discussion thread here has 2344 posts (and rising) though keep in mind, there were A LOT of event threads last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Marengo wrote: »
    Fairly epic run with one frame to go :)

Oh yes indeedy !

With Brexit wouldn’t it be nice if we swapped places geographically with Britain. Let them take the western periphery while we move closer to Europe.. and all those easterlies we miss out on :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

With Brexit wouldn’t it be nice if we swapped places geographically with Britain. Let them take the western periphery while we move closer to Europe.. and all those easterlies we miss out on :D

Not only would we be in a much better position for east for cold and snow but we would also have an open sea fetch for those snow showers, no shadows to worry about.

We would also have warmer, dryer summers and increased thunderstorm activity in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

KingJeremy wrote: »

Gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

What is ICON saying about the trend? If I remember last year it got the trends right before the other models agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by epic for other posters because all i see is its just a normal dry and sunny cold winter day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

That ECM tonight taps into the coldest Baltic Scandinavian air possible,it's more northeast than east and similar to Jan 1987,it would plaster upon top of plaster the east of leinster with snow which would eventually be lying on top of frozen rivers were it to verify

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

YanSno wrote: »
    Can you please elaborate on what you mean by epic for other posters because all i see is its just a normal dry and sunny cold winter day

Which Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

NMB wrote: »
    I must be the only on who’s enjoying the model watching it’s been super exciting. Soap opera models - crazy forecasts and outputs then all hopes dashed and then a new episode on the next days run. The signals for cold are there but the result and wish goalposts keep moving.

Thing is the trend is cold and it’s only a matter of when not if that we get proper snow.

It has been said many times over the last few weeks we’ll get a few bites of the cherry and then the whole pavlova- have faith the game is just half time - still all to play for !

I agree, I'm not one for model watching but this has been great to see all the drama. I'm usually just checking in on the daily forecasts from our man in the Interior.

A nice easterly. Snow potential this day week. Hints of Scandinavia high developing day 8/9. Pressure a little high at this stage for snow but cold. -10 and -11 uppers hitting eastern side of the country. Rare enough. Day 10 hints at Atlantic return. But that’s a long way off.

An excellent run. It’s only a computer graphic generation but that’s all we ever have when looking ahead :) No copious amounts of snow but get cold in first.

I’m a happy man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

pad199207 wrote: »
    Which Day?

Friday 25th ECM, 1025hp too close to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ballina co mayo 17/01/19 11.35 temperature 3°C
    p0FVVE4.jpg

Cloudy here in Arklow,yet the temp is near freezing at 0.6c
    Dewpoint -1,8c

Friday 25th ECM, 1025hp too close to Ireland

It can rain or snow at 1030mb but I'd agree you'd want it lower

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It can rain or snow at 1030mb but I'd agree you'd want it lower

The ideal would be 1015mb and lower

Some upland areas above 800ft asl could have a snow covering tomorrow morning.

Remember a similar type event mid January 1988. When snow was to turn to rain but didn’t.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    The ideal would be 1015mb and lower

It's not that far off tbh!
    1019 in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A nice easterly. Snow potential this day week. Hints of Scandinavia high developing day 8/9. Pressure a little high at this stage for snow but cold. -10 and -11 uppers hitting eastern side of the country. Rare enough. Day 10 hints at Atlantic return. But that’s a long way off.

If we can keep the Genoa low it may not get back in really. Bascially if we see low heights in the north med it's always a good sign for an easterly.

AF319160-2429-4-A38-B23-E-7-DA468-D31-E63.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I know this isn't the right thread to be posting this in but it is the busiest!! just wondering what would be the best website to keep an eye on the weather in barcelona,need to keep a watch on it over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I'm heading to Malaga on Thursday for a long weekend, anyone have any idea what it'll be like there? :D

I'm heading to Malaga on Thursday for a long weekend, anyone have any idea what it'll be like there? :D

We’re going through the most volatile period in winter weather watching history and yee come in here wanting to know what the weather is in Spain?:confused::p

I’d say pack your thermals :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Weather should be nice on Thursday and Friday with sunny spells and temperatures around 15C.

The weekend looks unsettled with showers or rain at times, temperatures around 16C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just caught up with this thread- going for a lie down now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That ECM tonight taps into the coldest Baltic Scandinavian air possible,it's more northeast than east and similar to Jan 1987,it would plaster upon top of plaster the east of leinster with snow which would eventually be lying on top of frozen rivers were it to verify

This is ridiculous hyperbole. Tonight’s ECM would not bring anything of the sort! It’s a few days of an easterly with highish pressure to boot reducing snow shower potential. Hopefully people coming here for common sense takes won’t be taking talk of ‘frozen rivers’ seriously.

Advertisement