Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: We all post here regularly because we love to experience and talk about the Weather. We all have different opinions on what type of weather we want to see in any given season.

Snow and cold is favoured by many here, but it is not to everyone's liking and can have serious consequences on their personal or business life. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on what sort of weather they prefer, be it cold, snowy, mild, wet, sunny or anything else.

It is unfair to judge/ make personal comments towards another member because you don't agree with their preferred choice of weather.

We do not tolerate personal attacks towards others, please bare that in mind when posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Until Kermit starts a be prepared thread, theres nothing happening next week ;)

Hopefully we don't hear or see from Kermit so. No offence meant to Kermit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Jaysis lads it's all getting a bit heated in here, I think we should all just cool down.

Irish people are great at talking about the weather but don't fall out over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Snow predicted for the West/NorthWest tonight, over on the Donegal Weather Channel. Nothing to cause desruption, but am sure the Lamp Post watching will be in full force.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: Can we just talk about the weather. All chat relating to members who have a ban or on 'holidays' for the time being is off topic and any OT posts will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Poland update with some photos.
    470655.jpg

470658.jpg

470657.jpg

470656.jpg

470659.jpg

The gate is 1.9M high.
    The snow we are walking on is compacted down to around 1m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Just in relation to people who prefer mild weather..

I'm 42, strong and active and love deep cold, snow and heatwaves. In our 20s, 30s and 40s we're in our prime, easier to keep warm.

I have one parent alive, my mam 85. She lives in our old home house in a remote area about 1,100ft above sea level. Mam gets panicky when hearing of snow and cold in the forecast. She's often cut off by snow for over a week. The house is an old landlord's agent's one. Very old, I found an ad of it being rented in 1773 in Finn's Leinster Journal! It's not huge, looks bigger on the outside. It's freezing inside and hard to heat. I stayed over at Christmas and it was cold in mild weather.

Older people slow down and it's very difficult at their age to leave a home they are attached to. The effort required to leave may be too much if suffering from illness also. We must be conscious of older people with blood thickening due to cold leading to heart attack etc. Very important to look out for them in colder weather the way they looked after and reared us.

Please come back and post Grace. You're as welcome as the flowers in May :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Marengo wrote: »
    Just in relation to people who prefer mild weather..

I'm 42, strong and active and love deep cold, snow and heatwaves. In our 20s, 30s and 40s we're in our prime, easier to keep warm.

I have one parent alive, my mam 85. She lives in our old home house in a remote area about 1,100ft above sea level. Mam gets panicky when hearing of snow and cold in the forecast. She's often cut off by snow for over a week. The house is an old landlord's agent's one. Very old, I found an ad of it being rented in 1773 in Finn's Leinster Journal! It's not huge, looks bigger on the outside. It's freezing inside and hard to heat. I stayed over at Christmas and it was cold in mild weather.

Older people slow down and it's very difficult at their age to leave a home they are attached to. The effort required to leave may be too much if suffering from illness also. We must be conscious of older people with blood thickening due to cold leading to heart attack etc. Very important to look out for them in colder weather the way they looked after and reared us.

Please come back and post Grace. You're as welcome as the flowers in May :)

Great post Marengo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Graces7 wrote: »
    Billcarson wrote: »
    With all due respect though people who don't want cold have been getting away with murder the last ten weeks. Winter has to arrive at some point.

:confused: Murder? As someone of nearly 80 living on a tiny pension who nearly died of hypothermia last winter? No-one here controls the weather and as I said, I cannot afford a cold spell. Fact.

Some wonderful folk here but this kind of accusation comment ruins it .

Over and out; too cold to carry on. Have enjoyed contirbuting from my island fastness; thank you

Blessings and peace.

I'm sorry if I have insulted you. It wasn't intended like that. I was just merely pointing out that it has been after all a very mild winter so far.
    I will admit that i do like cold/ snowy weather it was that which got me interested in the weather when i was a kid in the first place. Not that I want to see people in distress either though and granted it is easier for me at my age mid 40s to not be bothered as much about the cold as yourself. But the weather will do what it will do anyway of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Meanwhile
    My view of a snowy lugnaquilla from here near Arklow this morning:)

66c35988ab8dd206cc99b350ea0af366.jpg

Curious where this was taken. Will be looking up at it come the weekend from the inlaws back yard.

gfs-0-132.png?12

GFS 12 Z starting off well :)

Edit: Sugar..going pear shaped. Roll on the ECM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Kutebride wrote: »
    Curious where this was taken. Will be looking up at it come the weekend from the inlaws back yard.

Would be from Arklow....I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vxlkss

I'm a little worried onshore winds (for Dublin anyway) will make the snow become rain, (like a december 10th 2017 situation)

can anybody tell me if that could happen if this came off?

Sorry* for the Tuesday snow event possibility

This has to be one of the most infuriating spells of model watching :) Hopefully the ECM will put manners on the GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

Yeah, you can take GFS precipitation charts as gospel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

you can when they show this ****e

easterly gone,cold core sinks down into europe,

annnnnnd ...back to square one again.

tis hilarious nonsence.

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This has to be one of the most infuriating spells of model watching :) Hopefully the ECM will put manners on the GFS.

2016-17 still king for most frustration in my model watching years.

yep GFS is a total bust for next week. After brief glance of cold on Tuesday, mild Atlantic muck for rest of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The GFS has gone the way I feared it would given the GFS para output and some of its own ensembles, the trend was apparent on 6z. 12z ICON, GFS, Arpege, UKMO and GEM output are all poor now if it’s this mornings ECM type output you are after. It’s slipping away

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep GFS is a total bust for next week. After brief glance of cold on Tuesday, mild Atlantic muck for rest of the week.

So we got 3-4 in a row decent cold GFS runs and now 1 mild one. Interesting to see what the pub run brings. It's all over the place..

If ECM trends mild..that will be a dampner.. No pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The system off the coast of America is to blame. The GFS has moved towards the Icon and UKMO. As to whether the ECM remains steadfast. I would not bank on it.
    The real problem is the high in the Atlantic just can't get northwards it seems. So everything gets flattened out. It looks like Gaoth Laidir might be proved right the way its going now:(

gfs-0-384.png?12

I know this is FI but also relates to a trend this (and indeed many) winters. The eye candy gets pushed out.

Rushed Kingdom called it well this morning.

Anyway as Nacho Libre says, maybe the ole ECM will stick to it's guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Don't go Grace! Weather board not same without you, I love your posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Oh well. It looks like another downgrade. Though at least it's nice to feel some cold in the air today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oh well. It looks like another downgrade. Though at least it's nice to feel some cold in the air today.

That has to be the least depressing or negative comment I've heard from you ever on this forum.

So we got 3-4 in a row decent cold GFS runs and now 1 mild one. Interesting to see what the pub run brings. It's all over the place..

If ECM trends mild..that will be a dampner.. No pun intended.

It's very frustrating, none of the charts can be relied upon really. After 2 or 3 good runs we're now back to where we were 2 nights ago. Still looking promising for the last few days of January but it would be nice to have some reliable eye candy for next week, something for us to all look forward to over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I’d say by tomorrow if we keep the trend for the possible snow event on Tuesday , it’ll be more or less locked in place , even if the Atlantic kicks back in 24hrs later it’ll be nice to get a taste of winter and hopefully we can kick on into February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Some good members still showing on the GFS ensembles for snow and cold. Could swing back yet but overall trend for first bite at an easterly is fading a little

Advertisement