Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Billcarson wrote: »
    With all due respect though people who don't want cold have been getting away with murder the last ten weeks. Winter has to arrive at some point.

Very good way of putting it.

The “mild and bland” fans have had it all their own way so far this winter.

There has to be a serious blast of cold at some stage surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

Overnight low of -2.2c. Even now, with the sun well above the horizon, it's -1.8c. Local roads are rather icy here in the Northern Hills of Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

-1.5c here in the East Kildare/West Wicklow Highlands

Rather surprisingly, the temp has just dropped another 0.1c, down to -1.9c now.

pad199207 wrote: »
    -1.5c here in the East Kildare/West Wicklow Highlands

I think you mean the Northern Lowlands, as defined by Kildare County Council for your part of the Kildare. I was actually incorrectly describing my part of Kildare as North Kildare Uplands as the more commonly used term is Northern Hills so I'll go with that, going forward.

470612.PNG

470613.PNG

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    I think you mean the Northern Lowlands, as defined by Kildare County Council for your part of the Kildare. I was actually incorrectly describing my part of Kildare as North Kildare Uplands as the more commonly used term is Northern Hills so I'll go with that, going forward.

470612.PNG

470613.PNG

I knew it would annoy ya :-) North Kildare Uplands lol more North Kildare UpYourH*#le :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first frost of 2019, first frost of Winter 2018/2019 and indeed first proper frost since October 2018, all the way back in autumn.

Good to see promising charts this morning but I'm still not convinced, we need a few more days of charts sticking to the cold theme.

Compared to the UK tho, we certainly appear to have more milder wedges next week, could be a very snowy week for them next week, for us it's all looking a bit marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

GFS 6z is still a cold run but not a true easterly. Crucially the difference is in the forcing of the low pressure system South-East at 120 hours which is not as clean as the 00z run immediately leading to big impacts and failing to set up a true easterly or subsequent North Atlantic ridge. Uppers atecatually colder but exceptionally fragile and only a sniff away from the GFS(p) much poorer solution for cold. This is no done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Graces7 wrote: »
    Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    The freshening southerly winds will become strong southeasterly on Thursday night ahead of rain developing in the west. Temperatures will be below freezing in places and the rain will be preceded for a time by a fall of snow as it spreads eastwards across the country.
    From met Eirrean

SHUDDERS! Gone colder even reading that... come here, cat!

Cannot afford a cold spell like this. Just too much . No hope.

Not sure what last night was all about. A sudden stormy gale that had me hiding under the bedclothes as the world shook and howled around me. The noise was incredible.

Starry sky now. All calm and clear and very cold.

west mayo oiffshore arctic

Grace, don't be stuck. I'm sure many here would see their way to some fuel for you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 6z is still a cold run but not a true easterly. Crucially the difference is in the forcing of the low pressure system South-East at 120 hours which is not as clean as the 00z run immediately leading to big impacts and failing to set up a true easterly or subsequent North Atlantic ridge. Uppers atecatually colder but exceptionally fragile and only a sniff away from the GFS(p) much poorer solution for cold. This is no done deal.

It's a definite downgrade for us compared to the chart I posted last night in regards to next weeks potential. More of a rain/sleet event for us going by this mornings run.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    It's a definite downgrade for us compared to the chart I posted last night in regards to next weeks potential. More of a rain/sleet event for us going by this mornings run.

The kind of run that would leave us drooling at pics of villages buried in east England while wet snow falls intermittent with sleet over here in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Lugnaquilla has a snowy peak this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »

Here's the 6z for next thursday,hardly a downgrade?

67a4216b10160a53bb328c55b7df7804.jpg

Had a look at Netweather they are cheering the 6z massively cos it is so snowy overlooking the fact that it is so extremely knife edge compared to its previous run and is now just a hairs breadth from the GFS para and Control which are sticking to their guns with energy riding over the ridge that attempts to form therefore killing it. Trending wrong way on the 6z for sure

Yeah think the 06z isn’t just quite the preferred outcome for us, but still better than nothing. Onto the 12z with more excitement.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah think the 06z isn’t just quite the preferred outcome for us, but still better than nothing. Onto the 12z with more excitement.

Lol the chart I posted above is better than nothing?
    Jaysis :D

For the record,it's the GFS that's moved towards the ECM for 2 days in a row now not the other way round
    I'm only commenting on a chart anyway and in FI but if the likes of the above creeps below 5 days,it'll be getting serious

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Lol the chart I posted above is better than nothing?
    Jaysis :D

For the record,it's the GFS that's moved towards the ECM for 2 days in a row now not the other way round
    I'm only comment I g on a chart anyway and in FI but if the likes of the above creeps bow 5 days,it'll be getting serious

The GFS 6z is trending away from a good solution for us because it’s holding more energy back squashing the ridge at 120 hours on. Another downgrade and everything is gone. Check the control and GFS (para) to see an example of this scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Anyone else fear this could be another 2013? Froze my balls off into April and didn't see a snowflake while the UK got buried. Will be devastated if that transpires.

Meanwhile
    My view of a snowy lugnaquilla from here near Arklow this morning:)

66c35988ab8dd206cc99b350ea0af366.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Meanwhile
    My view of a snowy lugnaquilla from here near Arklow this morning:)

My Sunday hike should be fun :D

Far better than the soaking I got up there last Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Athlone 17/01/19 8.25 temperature 1°C
    0v8aWHt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Athlone 17/01/19 9.06 temperature 1°C
    XQABWb1.jpg

Frost melt this morning.....150 times quicker than real life!!!

Here's the 6z for next thursday,hardly a downgrade?

67a4216b10160a53bb328c55b7df7804.jpg

I was more on about The low moving down from the north next Tuesday, I haven't really focused on after next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Billcarson wrote: »
    With all due respect though people who don't want cold have been getting away with murder the last ten weeks. Winter has to arrive at some point.

:confused: Murder? As someone of nearly 80 living on a tiny pension who nearly died of hypothermia last winter? No-one here controls the weather and as I said, I cannot afford a cold spell. Fact.

Some wonderful folk here but this kind of accusation comment ruins it .

Over and out; too cold to carry on. Have enjoyed contirbuting from my island fastness; thank you

Blessings and peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused: Murder? As someone of nearly 80 living on a tiny pension who nearly died of hypothermia last winter? No-one here controls the weather and as I said, I cannot afford a cold spell. Fact.

Some wonderful folk here but this kind of accusation comment ruins it .

Over and out; too cold to carry on.

Blessings and peace.

Well I really hope it snows. If you can’t afford to deal with the cold where you currently live, you could always leave to somewhere less remote and expensive to heat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Well I really hope it snows. If you can’t afford to deal with the cold where you currently live, you could always leave to somewhere less remote and expensive to heat

Calm down there pal. Can we not accept that others don't always want to have the same weather as themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Until Kermit starts a be prepared thread, theres nothing happening next week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

MJohnston wrote: »
    Calm down there pal. Can we not accept that others don't always want to have the same weather as themselves?

I’m perfectly calm, your post is the exact same reason I replied to that particular poster

Advertisement