Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Beautiful morning here in Dublin 5. This week hasn't been bad at all, most of the muck has been confined to nighttime.

This is similar to how much of Winter 2013-14 evolved here. Nights were frequently stormy but days tended to be fine for the most part with lots of sun and mild conditions - it was even one of the sunniest Winters on record.

True Atlantic muck to me is long fetched southwesterly winds with a Bartlett High. This is not one of those thankfully - this is a westerly wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

possibility of some wintryness on Saturday night/Sunday morning in places, most likely over high ground with south-east of the country at a greater risk. Will probably be rain for most of us.

72-574PUK.GIF?07-6

for now this is taking a very southerly track so this may not effect many of us. Icon has it further south with wintryness confined to the Wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Gonzo wrote: »
    possibility of some wintryness on Saturday night/Sunday morning in places, most likely over high ground with south-east of the country at a greater risk. Will probably be rain for most of us.

72-574PUK.GIF?07-6

for now this is taking a very southerly track so this may not effect many of us. Icon has it further south with wintryness confined to the Wicklow mountains.

Maybe I should have ordered those snow shows after all, another fun hike up Lug Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Getting the train from cork to Dublin in a few, will be fun tomorrow on the way back during the storm to see the different severity in different places east/south. (Also just going to try and past the time haha). Temperatures today as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

When can we expect this beautiful mild weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

When can we expect this beautiful mild weather?

Who said anything about *beautiful* mild weather?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day here in south Meath, lots of short, sharp showers, horizontal rain and hail, gusts and very wet conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Maybe I'm not overly picky but I thought today was pretty good in Dublin. Yes, there were quite a few showers but at least they were brief enough and we had a fair bit of sunshine. I'd prefer this weather in April/November though.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

horrible day here in south Meath, lots of short, sharp showers, horizontal rain and hail, gusts and very wet conditions.

It's seems to be a horrible day there a lot Gonzo. Might be time to up sticks to a new climate? As I don't think much will change over the coming years.....

Also, I think you live in Meath? Beautiful county by the way, God help you if you lived in Galway/Mayo, they get twice the rain there!!!

D

derekon wrote: »
    It's seems to be a horrible day there a lot Gonzo. Might be time to up sticks to a new climate? As I don't think much will change over the coming years.....

Also, I think you live in Meath? Beautiful county by the way, God help you if you lived in Galway/Mayo, they get twice the rain there!!!

D

I think this has just been one horrible dirty winter in general, 6 weeks of muck from November into December, then more in January and now February!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Talked on the phone to family in BC Canada. They have all boarded up their windows and doors as a snowstorm was starting and an 80 mph
    gale with it. Huge snowflakes falling as we talked.

They keep the Irish weather up to watch out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 09/02/19 09.45 temperature 3°C
    ocNbkcR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo and Clare

Westerly winds reaching mean speeds of 55 to 65 km/h with gusts of up to 90 to 110km/h.

Valid: Sunday 10 February 2019 10:00 to Sunday 10 February 2019 19:00

Issued: Saturday 09 February 2019 16:00

Updated: Saturday 09 February 2019 16:00

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea that little low has really caught some of us out. Looks a very interesting feature, developing in cold air too, so could be some ninja snow also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest EC @ T+24hr

ECU1-24.GIF?09-0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very windy in NW and W initially, blustery overland , fast moving and filling LP weakening as it crosses the country, cold day made colder by the Northerly sourced wind, band of rain looks a bit wintry in Northern counties, possibly some sporadic thunder/ hail showers. Getting very cold below freezing in places in Northern counties later in the evening.

anim_xos2.gif

anim_zgt1.gif

anim_tqp4.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Good forecast on ME for the middle of next week. Dry and mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Good forecast on ME for the middle of next week. Dry and mild.

Lovely,I won't argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely,I won't argue with that

Yup. We will take that!

looking forward to the mild of the next 7 to 10 days. With no cold or snow for the forseeable future we may as well bring on the mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

looking forward to the mild of the next 7 to 10 days. With no cold or snow for the forseeable future we may as well bring on the mild.

Exactly. No need for it if it doesn’t bring snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The outlook isn’t too bad for my area.

It hasn't been bad at all. February has started off very good here and is already sunnier than the entirety of December yet we're not even half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Grand - but would prefer to save such synoptics for Spring proper, or even better summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Amen

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice looking swirl off the NW coast now from Eriksson (.... (c) :)).

https://en.sat24.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sudden hail shower here... drummers drumming..west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Mixture of sleet and snow currently in cork city? Can see the snow blowing around and the sleet continuing to fall. It is tiny very wet though and for a brief second only

Some very dark clouds incoming however.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big wintry showers here in Tralee, with sunshine, plenty of hail mixed in , just 5.3C in a brisk N'ly wind. 3.2mm

JWPIk60.jpg?1

looks like mostly pleasant conditions once we get today out of the way. Increasingly mild and mostly dry. Temperatures could reach 13 or 14C for much of the coming week. Turns a bit cooler towards average temperatures after next weekend, but still mild for time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Feels very cold here today with significant wind chill. Heavy rain and hailstones here this morning.

Advertisement