Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

without any snow I just find cold conditions like today to be a pain. Nothing worse than cold rain and hail showers while still feeling properly cold and having to maintain the high heating costs. This is why I want it mild for the rest of February at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    without any snow I just find cold conditions like today to be a pain. Nothing worse than cold rain and hail showers while still feeling properly cold and having to maintain the high heating costs. This is why I want it mild for the rest of February at this stage.

Blue skies here in Dublin 13.

February 2019 now nearly 10 hours sunnier than December 2018.

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1094579004659695618

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »

Yes but we will probably have cold weather, though not necessarily snow, in March and possibly April to make up for this generally mild winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Forgotten what "mild" is like. Sheer exuberant energy out here. Changes from clouded dimness to dazzling sun and back again, like one of those time lapse films. Gusty gutsy winds.. sudden hail attacks.. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Brutal day in Letterkenny again, the past week has been by far the worst week all winter here. Pouring down heavy sleety rain and hail all day, miserable..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big hail showers here in Kerry this morning, more turned to rain now, blustery .

kKnrVzL.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's on!!!!!!!!!!!!

tempresult_bfb5.gif

EDIT: Oh sorry, this is 2019

*gets back in time machine*

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

BALTIC out
    Have a bit of painting to do
    This time last week it looked like dry and mild weather for this weekend
    I hope next weeks forecast doesn’t change

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Any more signs of a cold blast for the end of the month , any straws to be grasped at ? . The F1 thread is fairly quiet at the moment , never a good sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It's on!!!!!!!!!!!!

tempresult_bfb5.gif

EDIT: Oh sorry, this is 2019

*gets back in time machine*

I had to check the date before I watched that Gif. Glad I did. It would have dashed my hopes after getting giddy.

Pity we are in for more mild rubbish. We will probably get a northerly going in May, June and July as this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Vile at the moment, wet and windy. It was a nice day other than this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rooney30 wrote: »
    Any more signs of a cold blast for the end of the month , any straws to be grasped at ? . The F1 thread is fairly quiet at the moment , never a good sign

The CFS are still showing a beast from the east, but they have pushed it back a bit- the story of the winter so far!

The CFS are still showing a beast from the east, but they have pushed it back a bit- the story of the winter so far!

The CFS is now milder than average for February.

The -NAO that seasonal models predicted never took off - possibly down to the North Atlantic SSTs.

Very strange Winter is all I'll say.

I'll be evaluating the Winter forecast at the end of the month. What I'll say is that whilst underestimating the mild nature of it, December was picked up reasonably well. January's forecast was perfect for the UK although it lost some points on the temperature for Ireland. February forecast is a bust - just like it was last year.

https://twitter.com/wxjay/status/1094587745983447041

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Very raw feel here in Portlaoise when the gusty squall hit. Temp around 5C.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The CFS is now milder than average for February.

The -NAO that seasonal models predicted never took off - possibly down to the North Atlantic SSTs.

Very strange Winter is all I'll say.

I'll be evaluating the Winter forecast at the end of the month. What I'll say is that whilst underestimating the mild nature of it, December was picked up reasonably well. January's forecast was perfect for the UK although it lost some points on the temperature for Ireland. February forecast is a bust - just like it was last year.

https://twitter.com/wxjay/status/1094587745983447041

Yes the CFS is milder than average for February, but still showing it getting colder from the east late February into March.

As regards your forecast, i would not be too harsh on yourself, you are a relative novice at this and your forceast was fairly on the money overall. In contrast well respected organisations, with vast resources, didn't do so well this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It's not just,the strat and teleconnection expectations that were off but some winter forecast outlooks must be scoring 5 or under out of 10 by now also?

Mother nature conforms for noone,that's the lesson

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It's not just,the strat and teleconnection expectations that were off but some winter forecast outlooks must be scoring 5 or under out of 10 by now also?

Mother nature conforms for noone,that's the lesson

Besides my forecast for the first two months of the season, the only forecast I have seen that was somewhat accurate was the Spanish Met. I saw their forecast mentioned on Netweather earlier in the season.

Mortelaro wrote: »

Mother nature conforms for noone

A lot of these forecasts were working off the assumption of a favourable SSW response in the troposphere. M.T. Cranium has his own methods, but his long range forecast was not great either. Gaoth Laidir was right when he cited the lack of sufficent downwelling to the lower levels of the stratosphere, but mogrep must have envisaged this happening given the UKMO long range update from late December onwards. No one seems to be able to give an explanation as to why the downwelling was so tepid. Was it due to the QBO going westerly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Frog spawn in my pond here in Kerry seems quite early this year, been there for a couple of days now.

cTqS4cC.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wow that is very cool! Here I am having never seen a frog in my 18 years (maybe I did but forget).

A lot of these forecasts were working off the assumption of a favourable SSW response in the troposphere. M.T. Cranium has his own methods, but his long range forecast was not great either. Gaoth Laidir was right when he cited the lack of sufficent downwelling to the lower levels of the stratosphere, but mogrep must have envisaged this happening given the UKMO long range update from late December onwards. No one seems to be able to give an explanation as to why the downwelling was so tepid. Was it due to the QBO going westerly?

Anyone saying during the winter that downwelling wouldn't happen can't be showered with praise either though
    It either was going to happen or it was not
    A lot of so called experts on teleconections with fancy graphs were caught out as spoofers this winter
    Back to the drawing board
    Beware more spoofing on the reasons why X Y or Z happened
    Flukes and graphs are common bedfellows
    That's my opinion, as of now

Nic Sat Pic of the Lp off the NW today

FNsJ6Op.jpg

Gusting to 80kmh currently in Arklow
    Temp up almost 2c in the last hour
    Now 7.1c
    Peak today was 8.1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

MT's seasonal forecasts are met with much fanfare on here but tbh his are as poor as everyone else's. I'm not convinced that LRFs will ever be accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

christ absolutely horrible out there. Cold with flogging rain and howling wind atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

MidMan25 wrote: »
    MT's seasonal forecasts are met with much fanfare on here but tbh his are as poor as everyone else's. I'm not convinced that LRFs will ever be accurate.
    There has been numerous mild and almost snowless winters in the last 20yrs and i don't remember anyone forecasting any of them in a LRF.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Considering the Beast from the East was beginning to show its hand in FI at around this time last year, I’m about ready to call an end to chart hunting this winter. Nothing on the horizon, only a few weeks left

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blissfully calm and quiet. Just sheerly lovely. I can even go for a walk for the first time in days... Much appreciated. Long may it last. west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

There is no way winter is done yet

Advertisement