Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Cordell wrote: »
    I find it very hard to believe. It's an architecture incremental update (or so the naming suggests) and a die shrink that can't possibly bring some 90-100% performance improvement (40% to close the gap + 50% to be 50% better).
    But I will be very happy if that will turn out to be true :)

I'd say that's best case scenario in a title that favors AMD. Probably more in the region of 25% on average.

It's a massive 505mm die. More than double the 5700xt on top of an improved architecture. The 2080ti is roughly 70% faster than a 5700xt.

If they can double the 5700xt's performance they can beat the 2080ti handily.

Even if they do come out on top I think it will be short lived. The 3000 series will hit not long after and retake the crown. Nvidia have a huge lead getting their RT and Tensor cores out there early and it's been adopted fairly well. They are well ahead on utilizing these through their own software as well and using AI to make improvements like the new a.i. driven noise cancellation for microphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

For me the 20XX series has been crappy because of pricing,mostly because coming from a 1080 meant I was going to pay a premium for basically the same performance but with added RTX features that were/are still in a small minority of games.

Also by the time ray tracing is adopted so widely you need some form of ray tracing hardware to play the majority of games,how well will say a 2060 S perform in those titles?

Anyway I've a new monitor arriving from amazon on the 11th and I've cash squared away for a new GPU this year. Dont really care green or red I just want one of them to really excite.

The value the 5700 series from AMD brought was really an interesting proposition. It actually made it a choice at both price points. If AMD can price their products so keenly all the way up the stack,assuming they will be competing at most price points,it could be really interesting.

If not I just see another gen of inflated Nvidia prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

In emulation circles, it's often touted that AMD cards really suffer in therms of their OpelGL performance against Nvidia cards. Can anyone enlighten me on what this means, and is there any hope of RDNA 2 improving the situation? I'm kinda bound to team green as a result, as a lot of emulators like Cemu, rpcs3, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Inviere wrote: »
    In emulation circles, it's often touted that AMD cards really suffer in therms of their OpelGL performance against Nvidia cards. Can anyone enlighten me on what this means, and is there any hope of RDNA 2 improving the situation? I'm kinda bound to team green as a result, as a lot of emulators like Cemu, rpcs3, etc

Its means that for 2 equivalent performance cards from both vendors, Nvidia cards do better with OpenGL games. AMD has focused heavily on DX12 and Vulkan in terms of drivers and architecture. The newer 5xxx cards are better but I believe its still worth just picking up a Nvidia card if that's your goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Its means that for 2 equivalent performance cards from both vendors, Nvidia cards do better with OpenGL games. AMD has focused heavily on DX12 and Vulkan in terms of drivers and architecture. The newer 5xxx cards are better but I believe its still worth just picking up a Nvidia card if that's your goal.

I'd love to go all red for the next build, but I think the 3080 might have to be the target. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Supposed info leak discussed below. Obviously, multiple grains of salt are advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Some good tech in UE5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Hopefully can get a bit more life out of my 2080. Bought Control on sale last week and cruised through it. Beautiful stuff with RTX on at 1440p!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

Did they announce new consumer gaming GPUs or it's all datacenters?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nope. Arch and DC stuff only. Gaming GPUs are still a long way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I'm just hoping we see them this year,same for AMD lineup

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Some good tech in UE5.

None of that is using RTX ray tracing though. You can leverage that over the top but the point of those demos is to show what can be achieved without it.

The GI is incredibly good and one of the hardest and most demanding things to achieve with real time lighting.

Be interesting to see some benchmarks. Hopefully they release it as a PC benchmark soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIDzZJpDlpA
    Some in depth analysis. The GI is indeed gorgeous, they do cut some corners when compared to a raytraced implementation, they are using some screen space processing but it's so hard to notice it, you really need to know what's there in order to spot it.
    The other thing, that one that in my understanding completely eliminates discrete LOD levels, it the most interesting one.

Cordell wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIDzZJpDlpA
    Some in depth analysis. The GI is indeed gorgeous, they do cut some corners when compared to a raytraced implementation, they are using some screen space processing but it's so hard to notice it, you really need to know what's there in order to spot it.
    The other thing, that one that in my understanding completely eliminates discrete LOD levels, it the most interesting one.

Very clever. I've been using UE4 for a few years. The guys at epic are geniuses when it comes to optimizing this kind of stuff. The current real time lighting solution doesn't really support GI at all. Excited to play with this.

They do have an auto lod generation tool though but I'm guessing you don't even need this in the new version. Exciting times for devs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Just looking for opinions I know the 3000 series is just around the corner but there is always something just around the corner... so im debating on if to upgrade the old 970 now while i can still get something for it, to say either a 2060 super or a normal 2070 seen as they are the same price basically 2070 has the smallest amount of extra performance i guess, or if the 2070 super is worth the extra €100ish over those.

Then sell the 2000 serise to fund a newer card if they turn out to be all that.

This is a physical shop within the 5k limit so I would consider buying from them not set on it though.

So here is what i have seen mainly just for examples not really what i have decided on yet.

Cheapest 2060 super May not be the best always open to suggestions
    https://www.maxburns.ie/components/video-cards/geforce-graphics-cards/palit-rtx2060-super-dual-8gb-ddr6-dvi-hdmi-dp-1650mhz-clock-led-lighting-ne6206s018p2-1160a.htm

not the cheapest 2070 but looks like a good price could be wrong again suggestions welcome
    https://www.maxburns.ie/components/video-cards/geforce-graphics-cards/asus-rog-strix-rtx2070-8gb-ddr6-2-hdmi-2-dp-usb-c-1650mhz-clock-rgb-lighting-90yv0c92-m0na00.html

Or like i said 2070 Super if its worth the extra money at this point.
    https://www.maxburns.ie/components/video-cards/geforce-graphics-cards/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gaming-oc-3x-8gb-triple-fan-graphics-card.html

You get what you pay for.

2060 Super €450 -> 2070 €519: 15% price, 5% performance, better cooler

2070 €519 -> 2070 Super €573: 10% price, 11% performance, same cooler

Might be worth buying none of them though & get a 5600 XT:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-5600-xt-pulse-6144mb-14gbps-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-396-sp.html
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-radeon-rx-5600-xt-gaming-x-6144mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-365-ms.html
    https://www.maxburns.ie/components/video-cards/asrock-rx5600-xt-phantom-gaming-d3-oc-6gb-ddr6-pcie4-hdmi-3-dp-1750mhz-clock-rgb-lighting-90-ga1vzz-00uanf.html

Lower cost of upgrade = smaller loss when the upgrade comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

What about a Radeon 5700? They are really good value at the moment.

Like for example for £330 you have this decent one, plus you get free Resident Evil 3, Monster Hunter World and three months of GamePass.

Ampere engineering/reference samples spotted (allegedly) - Videocardz. Interesting cooling to say the least!

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080.jpg

The "RTX 3080" is upside-down. Is that normal for ES stuff?

I really like the fin array on the top one.

Serephucus wrote: »
    The "RTX 3080" is upside-down. Is that normal for ES stuff?

I really like the fin array on the top one.

On the bottom card? That's the back plate of the card (so the top as you would see it if mounted "normally" in a regular case), so it's the correct orientation.

• Advertisement

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    On the bottom card? That's the back plate of the card (so the top as you would see it if mounted "normally" in a regular case), so it's the correct orientation.

Should have actually clicked the link, the extra pictures make a lot more sense.

That's a very interesting design alright. I'm getting 295x2 and Fermi vibes from this. I wonder how much heat it'll pump out if they resorted to this kind of cooling setup.

Found very nice fan-renders on Reddit:

kkt8or0fod351.png
    251ec0f5c2.png

Aesthetically, I think that looks pretty cool personally. But I'm intrigued by the cooling arrangement and PCB shape. There's also a very aggressive curve on the fan blades that wasn't on previous FE cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

In good ol Nvidia fashion im sure i will have to remortgage my house to afford one of these new 3080/3090 and to pay for the power draw also...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

With 2 g sync monitors im stuck in this eco system now! although saying that ive been very pleased with my 1080ti... 20 series price jump was just insane... im just hoping big navi might knock the price down a little!!! slim hope but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

tazzzZ wrote: »
    With 2 g sync monitors im stuck in this eco system now! although saying that ive been very pleased with my 1080ti... 20 series price jump was just insane... im just hoping big navi might knock the price down a little!!! slim hope but still!

I would have thought that G-sync monitors would support Freesync as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    In good ol Nvidia fashion im sure i will have to remortgage my house to afford one of these new 3080/3090 and to pay for the power draw also...

Are these not on TSMC's 7nm? If other moves to that platform are indicative, they will see a larger power decrease then a performance increase.

I'd rather see the power staying the same but with increased clocks and GPU core count.

GHOST MGG wrote: »

While I would love a 600 euro RTX 3080, iif the rumours are true & it has 10Gb VRAM, prices are likely to rise - DRAM (and GDDR6) are in higher demand, as well as COVID-19 having a ripple effect on production worldwide.

• Advertisement

The rumours are that RDNA2 is actually competitive though, and will be releasing at more or less the same time. Fingers crossed for a mini price war.

Advertisement