Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Remember the whole 3000 series will not be released at the same date, you could be waiting much longer for the one in your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

tuxy wrote: »
    Remember the whole 3000 series will not be released at the same date, you could be waiting much longer for the one in your price range.

Oh, yeah, that's understood, probably be September at the earliest for those. Hence the high level of patience that'd be needed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Star Lord wrote: »
    Oh, yeah, that's understood, probably be September at the earliest for those. Hence the high level of patience that'd be needed! :D

You'll cave.

We all do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

September may be optimistic and Nvidia will probably price gouge as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

tuxy wrote: »
    September may be optimistic and Nvidia will probably price gouge as usual.

Well boys it looks like the GPU's are going to get a lot of action over the next few months will all the enforced staying at home and staying in. Doom Eternal coming out, and the GPU melter that will the half-life Alyx...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yes, it seems the whole site is down...
    Control DLSS 2.0 enabled with the latest driver and game update, pretty much the same as with Wolfenstein Young Blood, 3 levels (internal resolution) of dlss, better quality, good performance improvement.

A legit feature to tout now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

That is frigging fantastic! (I mean, it works as they said it would... and its from NVIDIA...) Should make those Zoom calls less of a pain. lol
    I hear you can get to work on non RTX cards also but there would be a performance hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

god's toy wrote: »
    That is frigging fantastic! (I mean, it works as they said it would... and its from NVIDIA...) Should make those Zoom calls less of a pain. lol
    I hear you can get to work on non RTX cards also but there would be a performance hit.

Barnicles had a live demo, it was impressive. Little bit of distortion in the voice at times, but the sheer amount of noise it pulled out was impressive.

I'm curious if they bought a company or if this was done internally. You would be nuts if you had the skills to do this, to develop it in company.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

So, it's now over a year and a half since RTX launch, and with the 3000 series theoretically due in six months.

What's the general consensus on the 2000 series RTX, and the rumour mill on the 3000 series?

L wrote: »
    So, it's now over a year and a half since RTX launch, and with the 3000 series theoretically due in six months.

What's the general consensus on the 2000 series RTX, and the rumour mill on the 3000 series?

What I said it was when they were released.

A handful of titles using the "RTX" cores, with little impact either way and no meaningful need for the tech.
    No competition, so high prices on the upper end models with no drops.

Next generation will be a 25-50% increase on last because its going to be a significant die shrink, with a probable price hike and new segments created. Eg, 2080ti will remain and will still be sold, 3080 will come in above and just be more expensive.

The technology itself opened the way for raytracing APIs and next gen consoles supporting it. Arguably this is a huge impact even though there is just a handful of titles on PC (one really so far, only one in which the raytracing makes such a significant difference).
    Same for DLSS and the new DirectML API.

What I said it was when they were released.

A handful of titles using the "RTX" cores, with little impact either way and no meaningful need for the tech.
    No competition, so high prices on the upper end models with no drops.

Next generation will be a 25-50% increase on last because its going to be a significant die shrink, with a probable price hike and new segments created. Eg, 2080ti will remain and will still be sold, 3080 will come in above and just be more expensive.

2070 Super & 2060 Super were essentially cheaper 2080/2070 cards, respectively.

The price drops justified me upgrading from a GTX 1080 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

That's my fear as well. Another gen of overpriced tech due to lack of market competition. :/
    Cordell wrote: »
    The technology itself opened the way for raytracing APIs and next gen consoles supporting it. Arguably this is a huge impact even though there is just a handful of titles on PC (one really so far, only one in which the raytracing makes such a significant difference).
    Same for DLSS and the new DirectML API.

I'll hold on that until I see it getting picked up more generally - 18 months is a long time not to see a major pimped out tech be adopted.

IIRC DX11 HW tessellation took much longer to get any significant traction.

Cordell wrote: »
    IIRC DX11 HW tessellation took much longer to get any significant traction.

And DX12 will take longer. Next version even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If the rumors are true about their next gen I'd stay well clear of the 20 series.

Allegedly up to 4 times the RT and Tensor performance on top of a reasonably big rasterisation bump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Pricing is going to be........ interesting.

AMD's new top end gpu allegedly beats the 2080ti by as much as 50% and has dedicated ray tracing hardware so Nvidia will have some competition in the high end again.

Maybe their pricing will be better.

BloodBath wrote: »
    AMD's new top end gpu allegedly beats the 2080ti by as much as 50% and has dedicated ray tracing hardware so Nvidia will have some competition in the high end again.

sounds great...should play Halflife 3 well :D

You can be the guinea pig Fitz.

AMD have a hell of a lot to do on the software side to catch up to Nvidia. Their control panel is better. Everything else is worse.

I'm still having some driver issues with the 5700. It's really pissing me off at this stage.

Still under warranty so I'm eyeballing what nvidia is up to.

What's my stance on returning the 5700 for refund because of driver issues?

More and more software is making use of those RT and Tensor cores so I wouldn't mind getting on board. Some blender benchmarks for example. Optix makes use of the RT cores boosting render times significantly compared to CUDA.

Blender-2.81-Alpha-GPU-Tests-Classroom-CUDA-vs-OptiX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I returned mine to OCUK due to the driver issues, even explained the situation on their forum before doing so, and they OK'd exchanging it for a 2070 Super no problem.

I will be really interested in the new RTX3080 but my terrible experience with the 5700 - and how long the issue has persisted - has somewhat scared me away from any AMD GPU's going forward.

You can be the guinea pig Fitz.

I look forward to the next cards, I have never gotten as long with a top end card as the 2080ti...would say two years buy the time its beaten (titans not included). They still sell on adverts for a grand, so I can see those two years costing me about 4-500 euro to upgrade. I do hope there is a very strong improvement in performance. If that upgrade is AMD so be it, I have no specific love of Nvidia,

Not speaking at Bloodbath specifically but from what I have seen online after the recent drivers the majority of remaining problems are something else, but the AMD card was the obvious target for their issues.

The new 3080 allegedly coming in 10GB and 20Gb memory variants as well. I'm guessing the 20GB version is offering basically a budget titan for gamer/workstation users who can make use of the extra memory.

AMD's flagship rumored to have 12GB.

Not speaking at Bloodbath specifically but from what I have seen online after the recent drivers the majority of remaining problems are something else, but the AMD card was the obvious target for their issues.

It could be but I've had identical issues over 2 builds with the same card now. Brand new system with fresh windows install and everything up to date still didn't fix it.

Unless it's a hardware problem with my card I don't know what to blame other than the drivers.

• Advertisement

I find it very hard to believe. It's an architecture incremental update (or so the naming suggests) and a die shrink that can't possibly bring some 90-100% performance improvement (40% to close the gap + 50% to be 50% better).
    But I will be very happy if that will turn out to be true :)

Advertisement