Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Got Control in the Epic sale and it's really great with RTX features on, great game too. Upscaled from 1080 to 4K obviously with RTX and DLSS on but I couldn't tell the difference between native 4k and it when I did a few comparisons. Can run it at 1440 upscaled too with my 2080ti but only able to get 40 ish FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

.G. wrote: »
    Got Control in the Epic sale and it's really great with RTX features on, great game too. Upscaled from 1080 to 4K obviously with RTX and DLSS on but I couldn't tell the difference between native 4k and it when I did a few comparisons. Can run it at 1440 upscaled too with my 2080ti but only able to get 40 ish FPS.

What do you think of down scaling the image and using image sharpening?

It's a much older technique but Nvidia recently updated it so it is on par with the AMD implementation. Most seem to agree it gives a better image and the same FPS as DLSS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Haven't tried it to be honest.

.G. wrote: »
    Haven't tried it to be honest.

Either have I because I only play at 1080p but I've read and seen videos that have done comparisons that say it works better than DLSS and that is why Nvidia have updated their image sharpening implementation recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Just installed a 2070 Super over the week end (after an interesting game of "chase the parcel" with Parcel Motel). Haven't had the opportunity to try any ray-tracing enabled games yet (I don't have any actually - plan on getting Control soon).

So far I'm impressed with the CUDA performance - Iray renders are between 60 and 75% faster, on average, compared to the 1070 it is taking over from; Perhaps more interestingly, using both cards together only bears a further 10-15% improvement.

Final curiosity for the "need more WATTS!" brigade - The whole system, with a 3900x as the CPU, only draws about 500W from the wall with the CPU and both GPUs at 100% utilization; During gaming (when only the 2070 Super is used) tops out at 300W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Buy Quake II & get the RTX patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Actually, good call - that probably interests me more than any of the new games, just to see how much of a difference it makes (going by personal experience dabbling in 3D as an amateur, lighting makes or breaks a scene, so...).

I should actually have Quake II somewhere...then again, I don't have a PC with an optical drive anymore...the joys of the 21st century!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

If you just want to have a look you can get the shareware version free from Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-ray-traced-remaster-out-now-for-free/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Quake 2 RTX is free on steam

Quake 2 RTX is free on steam

You need to own Quake II (any full install - disc/Steam/GOG) to unlock all levels in Q2RTX.

Depending on your install, you might also need to download the OST separately.

• Advertisement

I've some cash burning a hole in my pocket :P Should I upgrade my 2060 to a 2070S or try my best to refrain myself and wait for the new gen?

It's ~25% which IMHO is enough to justify the upgrade, especially since you should get a decent chunk back for the current GPU.
    However I'd hold on a week to see what (if anything) gets announced during CES this week.

Very interesting - the TU104 die in the RTX 2060 KO increases workstation performance, but at the same time the die is power/overclocking limited due to being a defective 2080.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks like Ampere is being readied for at least a reveal in the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Hardware unboxed video yesterday reviewed DLSS 2.0.

Looks good. Doesnt need titles to be supported,also does not use the tensor cores anymore so i wonder will it come to older gen GPU's.

I really want to get a replacement for my GTX 1080 at this point but im not seeing value there yet so starting to get impatient for Nvidias next line up and what ever AMD have in the pipeline.

EoinHef wrote: »

Looks good. Doesnt need titles to be supported,also does not use the tensor cores anymore so i wonder will it come to older gen GPU's.

Did I misunderstand the video?
    It would seem that it does use the tensor cores but does not require them. Cards with tensor core will see better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

tuxy wrote: »
    Did I misunderstand the video?
    It would seem that it does use the tensor cores but does not require them. Cards with tensor core will see better performance.

Yeah your right,dont know why it didnt register with me but he specifically says version 1.9 using shader cores was a one off for control. Somehow i missed that!!

Nice feature for RTX owners only then,shame. I do agree with the video thats its taken entirely too long to get DLSS to a place where its a nice feature but going forward its a feature i wouldnt mind having. The performace uplift would be nice for 4K

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

EoinHef wrote: »

I really want to get a replacement for my GTX 1080 at this point but im not seeing value there yet so starting to get impatient for Nvidias next line up and what ever AMD have in the pipeline.

Me too. Bought a HP Reverb VR HMD (2160x2160 pixels per eye) in the Black Friday sales for Virtual Cinema and Space/Flight/Driving Sim usage. The jump in clarity compared to Rift S/Valve Index is great and while I am surprised how well my current 4.6ghz 6700K/GTX1080 is holding up, I am having to drop the detail a bit and still see some stuttering and thus can't wait till the Intel 10 series CPU's and nVidia RTX3000 series launch so I can build a new rig to take maximum advantage of the Reverbs resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Calibos wrote: »
    Me too. Bought a HP Reverb VR HMD (2160x2160 pixels per eye) in the Black Friday sales for Virtual Cinema and Space/Flight/Driving Sim usage. The jump in clarity compared to Rift S/Valve Index is great and while I am surprised how well my current 4.6ghz 6700K/GTX1080 is holding up, I am having to drop the detail a bit and still see some stuttering and thus can't wait till the Intel 10 series CPU's and nVidia RTX3000 series launch so I can build a new rig to take maximum advantage of the Reverbs resolution.

Would you not consider a Ryzen cpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Would you not consider a Ryzen cpu?

VR stresses the cpu a lot more than normal as it's 2 different 90hz+ images and a wider field of view than normal meaning more on screen geomotry which also puts more demand on the cpu.

Intel still makes the best gaming cpu's if you want the maximum cpu power for gaming at high refresh rates or VR assuming you don't get gpu botlenecked first which in most cases you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

BloodBath wrote: »
    Intel still makes the best gaming cpu's

Is that before or after mitigations?

/runs :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Howdy folks, hoping for a bit of advice!

With Half-Life Alyx around the corner and a few other graphically intensive games on the horizon, I’m thinking now might be the time to upgrade my trusty old GTX 970. Part of a bigger PC upgrade: I’ll probably be looking at a CPU upgrade later this year, but for now the GPU is the priority.

I don’t pay super close attention to all the graphic cards happenings, but from some research (and being happy to stick with Nvidia) I’m looking at the RTX 2060 Super as an option. Reviews seem good, but just wanted to check on how people have gotten on with it here? Is it my best option in the €350-450 ballpark? It’ll be for 1080p still primarily, plus VR obviously (original Oculus Rift). Mostly in the market for a good powerful card that’ll see me through another five years without having to worry much.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

In that ballpark, in its upper end, a 2070 is the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you've stuck with a 970 this long, might be worth waiting a little bit longer. We're due to hear more about Ampere (the 30xx series) this month. By all accounts it'll be a big jump this time, not the so-so improvements of the 20xx line.

I was thinking the same when considering upgrading my 2060 to a 2070S, but realistically it won't be before September until new cards will be available, even more so with the current situation. So I went for the upgrade now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would understand if there was a bit more urgency, like a 970 is fairly old hat now, but coming from a 2060 it would be fairly easy to just get by for another 6 months! The new cards should be a massive leap, like going from a 970 to a 1070 was.

Well, yeah, but I wanted it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Seems there might be an 8GB version of the 2060 on the way (PCGamesN).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you've stuck with a 970 this long, might be worth waiting a little bit longer. We're due to hear more about Ampere (the 30xx series) this month. By all accounts it'll be a big jump this time, not the so-so improvements of the 20xx line.

This is the situation I find myself in at the minute, have started learning Blender, and doing renders on my i5 4690 and GTX970 is painfully slow, and the new RTX cards are a big improvement, so I'm aching to upgrade again... Was considering a Ravi 3700 cpu / RTX 2070 Super combo, which should bring a massive jump in rendering performance, but...

With the rumoured improvements that the 30xx cards will be bringing, it seems it'd be prudent to keep my powder dry for now... If I can remain patient... :D

Advertisement