Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Freejin

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Why build a wall? I presume you are standing pillars and running 2 pipes along then to hang cubicles off? Then you cound feed out through bars to encourage them to stand up

My fear is having them going under the neck rail and if theres space behind it ending up stuck between neck rail and the wall. Would love to incorporate a trough at the front of it alright would be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Fairly disturbing line in the comic dairy section this week, do they not proof read their articles for ffs, looks like co-ops and bord bia arent enforcing the new rules they brought in last spring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Fairly disturbing line in the comic dairy section this week, do they not proof read their articles for ffs, looks like co-ops and bord bia arent enforcing the new rules they brought in last spring

You'll have to give us a better hint than that..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

17% of the herd have come back in in the last 2.5 weeks. Bollix anyway. Doing everything the same as last year and had excellent in calf rate last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭straight

Mooooo wrote: »
    17% of the herd have come back in in the last 2.5 weeks. Bollix anyway. Doing everything the same as last year and had excellent in calf rate last year

I've only one bull mopping up here and its risk. Are u the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

7% here in last 2 weeks dissapointed tbh but most lads seem to be having more repeats than they’d like .moocall collar on 20% was planning on pulling bull Monday but think I’ll charge it up and leave bull in till end of month I’ve 6 cows I never aid but bull May of got tgere going regardless but after that even a april calving in calf cow is worth more than an empty cow 10’april give or take is my cut off as regards latest I’ll finish calving

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'm another thats going into dairying next spring. I bought a few jersey X heifers off a fella back in spring, they've come on great and I'm very happy with them. I'm back now to buy a few more off him, they're bulled and he has them scanned. EBI is between €140-€220.

What is the going rate for heifers?

He's a fella I'd trust 100%, we have friends in common, and he's offered to take back any that repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

jaymla627 wrote: »

Shhhhhh....

FFS

Juliet Alpha Charlie Kilo or Alpha Indigo Delta Echo November was on the Offfaly Medic thread yesterday and I’d say he’ll lose his sh1t if anyone else refers to it as the comic ;);)

Twice within 24 hours ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

cjpm wrote: »
    Shhhhhh....

FFS

Juliet Alpha Charlie Kilo or Alpha Indigo Delta Echo November was on the Offfaly Medic thread yesterday and I’d say he’ll lose his sh1t if anyone else refers to it as the comic ;);)

Twice within 24 hours ;)

I could decrypt the names but what’s the Offaly Medic thread?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

I could decrypt the names but what’s the Offaly Medic thread?

I was only taking the p1ss. 2 farms 35 miles apart thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

cjpm wrote: »
    Shhhhhh....

FFS

Twice within 24 hours ;)

Yeah busted! just sitting here in IFJ office thinking up ways to annoy all you top class farmers :D why the interest in the article anyway??????:confused:

straight wrote: »
    I've only one bull mopping up here and its risk. Are u the same?

I do, but he is only in a similar length of time, I'm ai'ing after him now. Had 2 vasecomtised bulls in before that so doubt they were missed. A share served in the previous round of ai as well. Vaccinate for lepto and salmonella. Done for worms and on consistent level of meal throughout. I dunno. Yields down per cow compared to last year alright a small bit

• Registered Users Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

When was the lepto done. I do mine in June now and it seems to stop the repeaters

I do, but he is only in a similar length of time, I'm ai'ing after him now. Had 2 vasecomtised bulls in before that so doubt they were missed. A share served in the previous round of ai as well. Vaccinate for lepto and salmonella. Done for worms and on consistent level of meal throughout. I dunno. Yields down per cow compared to last year alright a small bit

Ibr ????also what’s milk urea levels like put a big effort into controlling that here for last 2 years thru reduced and more controlled n application 18/20 units per application and weekly monitoring of grass n levels and milk urea running at 18/25 tops all summer so far had repeats but nothing to be overly concerned with

whelan2 wrote: »
    When was the lepto done. I do mine in June now and it seems to stop the repeaters

June as well due to last year's delay in getting it, did em with 2 shots last year as viewed it as starting again.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Ibr ????also what’s milk urea levels like put a big effort into controlling that here for last 2 years thru reduced and more controlled n application 18/20 units per application and weekly monitoring of grass n levels and milk urea running at 18/25 tops all summer so far had repeats but nothing to be overly concerned with

Urea hasn't gone above 26 this year, normally 14 to 20 or so. Don't vaccinate for ibr but milk results come back clear for that. First year using protected urea alright, have sent what was left back as had issues with fert being damp, got in 19.0.15 to replace it

First year using protected urea alright.

Quiet a concern with this in a number of herds south of the city. Only common denominator in these hers. Might be something else but the product is under the microscope of a few lads now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

alps wrote: »
    Quiet a concern with this in a number of herds south of the city. Only common denominator in these hers. Might be something else but the product is under the microscope of a few lads now..

I think dawg mentioned this about protected urea before, I could be wrong but I definitely read it here about protected urea could cause embryonic deaths

Lots of suspicions here re prot urea as well ,yarra to me are only ones talking sense ,they have a stand alone protected urea with no sulphur or k or anything else blended with it big issues here with Goulding’s kan plus s couldn’t get it to spread accurate and quality suspect.been shoved on us too quick without enough info .weve all heard the stories re inhibitors in milk in New Zealand and also now suggestions continued use will be determental to clover

Had target here, was 38n + 7s. Was inconsistent, had to dump 2.5 bags as couldn't spread some were fine then. Now I had more issues with calving this year compared to the year before also but not all of the cow's repeating had hard calvings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Concern I'd have about it is it's possibly in the case of the sulphur added ones. The left overs from taking out sulphur by the oil companies. They add these then to the urea and it slows the microbial breakdown.
    How in the name of feck can a substance that comes from crude oil be good for soil health. Then you have other derivatives just labelled and patented with a fancy name but I still suspect come from crude oil.

We're goms here just to provide income for the industrialists of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Green&Red wrote: »
    I'm another thats going into dairying next spring. I bought a few jersey X heifers off a fella back in spring, they've come on great and I'm very happy with them. I'm back now to buy a few more off him, they're bulled and he has them scanned. EBI is between €140-€220.

What is the going rate for heifers?

He's a fella I'd trust 100%, we have friends in common, and he's offered to take back any that repeat

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Anyone?

Heifers with that EBI were selling for €800 before breeding, so scanned in calf now and a bit of optimism with milk price would they be at circa €1200 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone?

I'm just guessing.

€300 more than what you paid for their comrades in the spring.

Anyone?

Good quality dairy stock are scarce and anything with good records behind them will command good money jex heifers this early if good ones circa 900 /1000 they’ll get dearer as year progresses and quantities start to tighten fair play to tegasc for advising dairy farmers to use minimal dairy ai and more beef straws ...

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Heifers with that EBI were selling for €800 before breeding, so scanned in calf now and a bit of optimism with milk price would they be at circa €1200 maybe?

600 pre breeding .....for anything half decent add 2/300 sold 10’to repeat customer for 850
    In April could of got 900 plus if I wanted

1200 now 1300 end August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Very few incalf heifers on the market yet have herd of a sizable group being offered @ 1400 which seems very steap so early in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    I would go another shot of estrumate 11 days after the last one
    I got estrumate from the Vet today and tomorrow is day 11. I remember having a problem with a pbr Blonde years ago and giving her two shots 11 days apart. From memory you get them inseminated 72 hrs later or have I got it wrong. She is showing no signs of bulling so I will inject her tomorrow.

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Very few incalf heifers on the market yet have herd of a sizable group being offered @ 1400 which seems very steap so early in the year

Demand is strong so price will also be 1400 def strong now I’ll admit heifer could still easily slip a calf yet as still early in pregnancy in calf heifers October on with ai breeding and records etc will fetch 1400 to well over 2 k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement