Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You serve 48 hours after prid out regardless if they are bulling or not.
    Thanks for that, at least I know for the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I accidentally decided to do a bit of premowing today. The cows went into the last section of a paddock this morning and there's a few rushes there so, instead of taking off the mower and putting it on again tomorrow, I said I'd mow them out and whatever grass happened to be in between the clumps.

I'm half expecting to see @teagascgrams burning rubber coming into the yard to give out to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Well lads cows on very lush grass atm topped 19 days ago probably a cover of 1400-1500 on it , litres dropped fierce last week on that type of grass and milk urea rose to 47 so I put out straw at the feeding barriers as they come in for milking and seems to be after helping.. 90 cows are eating about a round bale a day which seems excessive? They arent being pushed in the paddock either but I they arent overly settled after the first grazing of paddock and dont like the next grazing and especially dont like trying to clean it out. Question is many others feeding straw as fibre or should I cut it out altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mf310 wrote: »
    Well lads cows on very lush grass atm topped 19 days ago probably a cover of 1400-1500 on it , litres dropped fierce last week on that type of grass and milk urea rose to 47 so I put out straw at the feeding barriers as they come in for milking and seems to be after helping.. 90 cows are eating about a round bale a day which seems excessive? They arent being pushed in the paddock either but I they arent overly settled after the first grazing of paddock and dont like the next grazing and especially dont like trying to clean it out. Question is many others feeding straw as fibre or should I cut it out altogether?

On simillar covers here your milk urea is a big concern ,how much n going out ????.at that level embryo loss is /could be a problem following cows here with just under 20 units per acre and milk ureas consistently high teens low 20s .with low grass dm I put in some really good quality 35% dm silage last week they get access to it before pm milking content cows and licking paddocks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,271 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is it not just after the drought that the fertiliser had been sitting on or in the ground?

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    On simillar covers here your milk urea is a big concern ,how much n going out ????.at that level embryo loss is /could be a problem following cows here with just under 20 units per acre and milk ureas consistently high teens low 20s .with low grass dm I put in some really good quality 35% dm silage last week they get access to it before pm milking content cows and licking paddocks

It was a big concern it has steadily dropped and we are at 34 atm would like it a bit lower all the same, same as following cows with half a bag of urea/acre , I see the lads on twitter at that I did that the first day of my urea being high and they mowed through the silage but it just wasnt making sense to be feeding silage with the amount of grass in the paddocks k.i.s.s and all that , but interesting you say licking paddocks ours are struggling to clean paddocks and not content at all when we try for them to graze out at all they will wait at the gap until milking unless we give them a new paddock .. the nicest of grass but no hope will they eat it down whatever the reasoning is , heard some lads say its down to the rapid growth of the grass and its sour as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It was a big concern it has steadily dropped and we are at 34 atm would like it a bit lower all the same, same as following cows with half a bag of urea/acre , I see the lads on twitter at that I did that the first day of my urea being high and they mowed through the silage but it just wasnt making sense to be feeding silage with the amount of grass in the paddocks k.i.s.s and all that , but interesting you say licking paddocks ours are struggling to clean paddocks and not content at all when we try for them to graze out at all they will wait at the gap until milking unless we give them a new paddock .. the nicest of grass but no hope will they eat it down whatever the reasoning is , heard some lads say its down to the rapid growth of the grass and its sour as a result?

That grass is the very same as April grass. There doesn't seem to be any fiber in it.
    Try what CloughCasey did here a few weeks ago. Spray molasses on it.
    Go out with any amount you want 3 or 4 litres/acre for the start. Just skip the fert in those effected paddocks and out with the sprayer.
    Wash out the sprayer with baking soda first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Being following the cow's with 20 units all summer really, milk urea between 14 and 24 depending on paddock. Grass and 3 to 4kgs of 14% ration. Just shy of 1.8kgs of solids at 3.8bf and 3.56p. More activity than I'd like on the bulling front tho

In fairness grass looks savage would of said nitrogen is souring it but at 23 units and assuming 20/22 day round should be fine like to keep it simple here too but I’ve no issue throwing whatever the cows needs at them but they have to work hard but not too hard to clean out paddocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I'm not a great fan of urea. Using a bag of sweet grass / ac along very watery slurry. Getting a good clean out with 24 hour blocks. 4 kgs of 14% nut with nis.

Was worried MU would rocket when we hit the lush regrowth, peaked at 35 for a couple of collections and back down to low 20s

B/f slipped back abit and p rose a little

Presently giving 2.15 kgs m.s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

My urea went to a peak of 46 and is down to 37 now 8 days later. Cows not happy and won't clean out paddocks either. All reseeded paddocks,some last fall, more this spring. My rotation got down as far as 13 days following the drought and I had possibly overdone the fert. Any tips to bring it down?

Grueller wrote: »
    My urea went to a peak of 46 and is down to 37 now 8 days later. Cows not happy and won't clean out paddocks either. All reseeded paddocks,some last fall, more this spring. My rotation got down as far as 13 days following the drought and I had possibly overdone the fert. Any tips to bring it down?

Fibre should help the urea problem a bit anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Grueller wrote: »

I could be wrong but isn't the urea value in milk a measure of protein relative to energy and less to do with nitrogen applied, simple put.
    High protein grass in conjunction with a highish pr meal with low energy will lead to a high milk urea.
    Low pr % meal with a high ufl value is ideal along with quality grass. I think

Edit. Usually only glance at urea value, don't pay it much heed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Does it make much difference what fertiliser thats being spread on the grass .Is sweetgrass a better option then russian pasture sward or urea and sulphur for better clean outs .I wonder does sulphur sour grass

Fibre should help the urea problem a bit anyway

thats the chart I refer back too.

I leave a 8.4.4 bale of straw, unopened, along where cows enter yard most of the time if they want it they take a mouthfuls and move on. Worked it out before and on average they were eating only 100grm/hd/day over the spring/summer

dar31 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but isn't the urea value in milk a measure of protein relative to energy and less to do with nitrogen applied, simple put.
    High protein grass in conjunction with a highish pr meal with low energy will lead to a high milk urea.
    Low pr % meal with a high ufl value is ideal along with quality grass. I think

Edit. Usually only glance at urea value, don't pay it much heed

Nitrogen is protein and protein is nitrogen.

Think of that in your soil and stomach and well you'll be ahead of the posse.

Milk urea here 26. Scc 66. Milk solids 1.9. Bf 3.9 Pr 3.45.
    On a round with no N applied and about to enter a second round with no N applied.
    No clover either.
    Weather perfect. Dairy washings getting utilized.

Nitrogen is protein and protein is nitrogen.

Think of that in your soil and stomach and well you'll be ahead of the posse.

Milk urea here 26. Scc 66. Milk solids 1.9. Bf 3.9 Pr 3.45.
    On a round with no N applied and about to enter a second round with no N applied.
    No clover either.
    Weather perfect. Dairy washings getting utilized.

True, I'm a slow typer and and usually get fed up before I get to the end of a post

dar31 wrote: »
    True, I'm a slow typer and and usually get fed up before I get to the end of a post

The longer the post. The sharper the end!

Usually. :p

cute geoge wrote: »
    Does it make much difference what fertiliser thats being spread on the grass .Is sweetgrass a better option then russian pasture sward or urea and sulphur for better clean outs .I wonder does sulphur sour grass

The key thing is the ammount v rotation length not the type of n I follow cows rather than blanket spread with aim of 1 unit n per day rotation from late April 18/20 units max in one application .im also getting fresh grass sample tested every Monday and it’s very interesting to see free nitrate levels /grass protein /milk urea if I go heavier with n proteins jump n level in grass jumps and milk urea jumps I don’t like to see milk urea over 25 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The key thing is the ammount v rotation length not the type of n I follow cows rather than blanket spread with aim of 1 unit n per day rotation from late April 18/20 units max in one application .im also getting fresh grass sample tested every Monday and it’s very interesting to see free nitrate levels /grass protein /milk urea if I go heavier with n proteins jump n level in grass jumps and milk urea jumps I don’t like to see milk urea over 25 tbh

What advantage is sulphur if any

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Well lads cows on very lush grass atm topped 19 days ago probably a cover of 1400-1500 on it , litres dropped fierce last week on that type of grass and milk urea rose to 47 so I put out straw at the feeding barriers as they come in for milking and seems to be after helping.. 90 cows are eating about a round bale a day which seems excessive? They arent being pushed in the paddock either but I they arent overly settled after the first grazing of paddock and dont like the next grazing and especially dont like trying to clean it out. Question is many others feeding straw as fibre or should I cut it out
    altogether?

I’m feeding hay , cows loose most of them seem happy to have few bites of it while milking. U would imagine the fibre is a help with short grass and meal .
    Away from that I Have lot of cows on heat every day.kinda worrying at ths stage to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Give them an extra kilo or so of meal a day also. There's a massive energy cost to digesting excess protein

Give them an extra kilo or so of meal a day also. There's a massive energy cost to digesting excess protein

Cutting back on n snd putting in good quality high dm silage would be a help.u can also get n blockers added to meal no idea on cost but imagine cost prohibitive .reducing n content to me is the biggest thing also very interested in what say my name above is doing with foliar applications of seaweed ,molasses boron etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

cute geoge wrote: »

Always get great grass growth from 27 2.5 5 here

Dried off the first of the autumn calvers this morning. Will be below 11 rows now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Dried off the first of the autumn calvers this morning. Will be below 11 rows now. :D

When's the new parlour going in?

When's the new parlour going in?

Wont be this year. Hopefully next year.

Cutting back on n snd putting in good quality high dm silage would be a help.u can also get n blockers added to meal no idea on cost but imagine cost prohibitive .reducing n content to me is the biggest thing also very interested in what say my name above is doing with foliar applications of seaweed ,molasses boron etc

Follow Castlekeeper too.
    The phecker only puts up a few posts though..:p
    I'm not applying boron per se. I enquired to my co-op salesman years ago who enquired from the co-op agronomist about foliar applying boron to grass to receive a message are ye off your head applying boron to grass and not to do it or my milk collections could be stopped.
    So I went another route of basalt, seaweed, molasses and sure then what was happening anyway with the dung and slurry of getting boron on to soil.
    I'm only phecking about on my own and not grass measuring but using visual assesment and making decisions on that.
    Flying by wire..

Castlekeeper though.. He's a mine of info on all these potions and applications.
    With a good long grapevine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

Any of you that have cubicles for weanlings, what depth do you have them? Have a cubicle shed here that im converting for weanlings. Currently 7 foot beds, thinking of building a wall out 18inches leaving a 5'6"bed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Freejin wrote: »
    Any of you that have cubicles for weanlings, what depth do you have them? Have a cubicle shed here that im converting for weanlings. Currently 7 foot beds, thinking of building a wall out 18inches leaving a 5'6"bed?

Why build a wall? I presume you are standing pillars and running 2 pipes along then to hang cubicles off? Then you cound feed out through bars to encourage them to stand up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement